Tips to Keep Your Kids Safe Online
According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, approximately 28 to 30 million children use the Internet, and one in seven children will be sexually solicited by an online pedophile. Dr. Phil has tips for protecting the ones you love.
- Never leave your child alone in a room with a computer connected to the Internet.
- Educate yourself on basic computer knowledge.
- Never give out or allow your child to give out personal information through the Internet.
- Never allow your child to upload a picture of him or herself onto the Internet.
- Make sure to have an open line of communication with your children. Talk to your child about the dangers of the Internet and sexual victimization.
- Keep the computer in a common room in the house.
- Spend time with your children online. Have them show you their favorite online destinations.
- Always maintain access to your child's online accounts.
Signs That Your Child May Be at Risk Online
- Your child spends large amounts of time online, especially at night.
- You find pornography on your child's computer.
- Your child receives phone calls from people you don't know.
- Your child is quick to turn off the computer monitor when you enter the room.
- Your child becomes withdrawn from the family.
- Your child is using an online account belonging to someone else.
From the Show