Warning Signs of an Abusive Relationship
A DrPhil.com Exclusive
Are you or someone you love in an unhealthy relationship? Dr. Frank Lawlis, Chairman of the Dr. Phil Advisory Board, says there are warning signs to look out for.
Take the following self-test:
1) You have been physically harmed, including being hit, pushed, pinched or slapped?
2) You are subjected to threats of harming you, your friends, family or guilt-induced that you may cause him to harm himself?
3) You live in fear of his disapproval and the resultant consequences?
4) You are called demeaning names or criticized, teased and ridiculed in a mean spirited way ("fat", "ugly", "bitch", "stupid", etc.)?
5) You are made to feel that any problems, yours or his, are all your fault?
6) You observe him mistreat/rage against others including family, friends, service people or pets?
7) You are forced to be isolated from your friends or family in order to maintain harmony?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, we encourage you to speak with a family member you can trust, or click here for a list of teen dating violence resources.