Message Boards

Topic : 02/13 Love Smart Island, Part 1

Number of Replies: 124
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:43:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Love is in the air, as Dr. Phil sends single men and women sailing to Love Smart Island to find Mr. and Ms. Right. First, Dr. Phil  surprises the successful and attractive women and introduces them to bachelors who are ready to settle down. As they spend three days dancing, picnicking and talking, will love connections be made? Find out why Dr. Phil has to make a special trip to the island to rescue two women, and what happens when the men get to choose one woman to spend the afternoon with. Also, meet three other bachelors who say their appearance is keeping them from finding a girlfriend. If you're unlucky in love, you'll learn how to take control of your love life and find the one you want by loving smart. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 13, 2006, 3:44 pm CST

Fabulous and Fifty

Dr. Phil.... 

I am now in the process of reading your book.  I have been divorced now longer than I was married.  I have worked on my professional life and being self-sufficent, which both of my objectives seems be obsticles in finding Mr. Right.  Are men afraid of strong woman?  My friend said I should be "Needy"...  Ever think about addressing dating dilemmas for professionals of my age.  

February 13, 2006, 3:47 pm CST

agree with lessons learned on love smart 1

Hey Dr. Phil... I am a 43 divorced female. I have been divorced 7 years and have had one serious relationship in that time.  I have been told that I, too, am too picky when it comes to choosing a "mate". I saw myself in couple of the women on the show today. But I woud say i am a work in progress and learning how to deal with meeting men and how to possibly start a relationship with a great guy.  

One quick thing.. In regards to the "experiment within the experiment" part of the show... I am just the opposite of the women that get along with the females and have alot of trouble interacting with the males.. I often find myself get along with males( on a purely friendly basis). On the other hand, i am not as close or as comfortable most times with other females.. 

I find that alot of men just need someone to talk to or just bounce things or ideas off..  

February 13, 2006, 3:49 pm CST

Sometimes...Life gets in the way!

Hi Dr. Phil; 

Sometimes circumstances in life can hinder a person's happiness! I am a 52 year old man that many have called a "great catch" but the problem is I have no time to be a catch. I have a home and make enough money but when I'm not at work I am caring for a disabled mother who lives with me. I also take care of my younger brother, who lives with me, so he can be with our mother when I work. I have been doing this for about 15 years and I have had no social life to speak of. It does get very lonely at times! I can't go out and meet a lady who would be willing to accept my circumstances and be happy! I actually forsee myself being alone the rest of my life. Sucks, huh? :)  Like I said....sometimes...life gets in ther way! 

February 13, 2006, 3:54 pm CST

Yep I agree...

Quote From: celeste06

Here's the thing. I'm about to turn 46. I'm looking, interested in changing my ways, but I'm 46. Online dating on two different sites (including "Match", Dr. Phil), were both very demoralizing experiences. Men my age don't want women in their 40s, OK? Let's get that point out right away. 

So, I buy Love Smart. Read it and think, "Yippe! Dr. Phil is my hero! He'll show me the way!" I go to a local bookstore chain, snoop around , always keeping a watchful eye. All I see is one guy who looks kinda ' like a homeless guy or a mad scientist - no men even in my age bracket and anyhoo, how can you tell if they're single? Also, you can't  assume they are when they're in their 40s anyway. Yup, I'm afraid of making a fool of myself and do you blame me - I mean those of you at my "advanced stage" in life? Do you? 

So then I'm watching today and all I see are young whipper-snappers in their '20s - all good looking. Give me a break! Yup, I should have had this book when I was in my 20s, yes siree. Problem is, I'm not in my '20s. I'm in my '40s and like everyone else, Dr. Phil and his producers are looking to massage the young crowd, not oldsters like me.  

Notice who gets on because of physical "irregularities"? Men - men who are ; overweight, bald or short. What about women who are overweight, short or....maybe "conventionally plain"? And...dare I ask...what about "older women"? Just like everywhere else..we just don't $ell, sista's. Sorry but this time, Dr. Phil has let me down. 

But I have to say the women were in the 20's/30's....lol. There was one that was 39 I think. But for the most part, yes, on the younger side. I'm in my 30's but this show still annoyed me b/c of the fact  that only the men seem to be able to get away with physical irregularites (as you put it), AND to be accepted by above average attractive women! Come on!!!!!! LOL

February 13, 2006, 3:54 pm CST

54 and Disappointed

Wow did I get an eyeful today watching the show.  I've always considered myself modest, but after seeing those young women talk "Let's go find a lot of alcohol!" and "My intials are T and A and my birthday is 69."  -- I was just so shocked.  Here are these BEAUTIFUL young women, and their lovely makeup, attire and bodies are overshadowed by very, very crass behavior.  If my daughter were on film saying those things, I'd die of embarassment.   

I'm still old-fashioned enough to think that dating is about trying on a relationship, and a relationship doesn't mean something sexual until you've had a chance to learn something about the person you're interested in first.  Do they come on time?  Is he or she respectful in other ways?  Does this person have the ability to carry on an intelligent conversation?  Before *I* would be sexually intimate with someone I'd want to know if I even like the person!  I wouldn't know that for several dates either!   

If these young people are representative of what I have to do or act like in order to demonstrate I'm serious about developing a relationship, I'll stay single!  Is this truely representative of how young men and women interact on the whole?  I'm not a prude but I thought the thoughts, words and actions of the women in this segment were wholely low class, superficial, and .... NASTY.  Yikes!  What happened to demanding respect? 

February 13, 2006, 3:55 pm CST

Love Smart Island

I only caught the last few minutes of today's show (and I will be taping tomorrow's show!), so my comments are only regarding that little bit of time.  Speaking for myself, I  looks (or typical 'good looks' per society's opinion) are not what first attract me to a man.  A man's laughter, his smile and eyes (ok, part of his looks) will get my atention more than a man's physical, bodily appearance.  Based on looks only,  I personally think the bald/shaved headed man was adorable!    It is difficult to meet nice men that meet up to a person I would intend to date long term and/or marry.  Hopefully some good advice will come out of future shows on this topic!!! 

February 13, 2006, 3:56 pm CST

Amen!

Quote From: celeste06

Here's the thing. I'm about to turn 46. I'm looking, interested in changing my ways, but I'm 46. Online dating on two different sites (including "Match", Dr. Phil), were both very demoralizing experiences. Men my age don't want women in their 40s, OK? Let's get that point out right away. 

So, I buy Love Smart. Read it and think, "Yippe! Dr. Phil is my hero! He'll show me the way!" I go to a local bookstore chain, snoop around , always keeping a watchful eye. All I see is one guy who looks kinda ' like a homeless guy or a mad scientist - no men even in my age bracket and anyhoo, how can you tell if they're single? Also, you can't  assume they are when they're in their 40s anyway. Yup, I'm afraid of making a fool of myself and do you blame me - I mean those of you at my "advanced stage" in life? Do you? 

So then I'm watching today and all I see are young whipper-snappers in their '20s - all good looking. Give me a break! Yup, I should have had this book when I was in my 20s, yes siree. Problem is, I'm not in my '20s. I'm in my '40s and like everyone else, Dr. Phil and his producers are looking to massage the young crowd, not oldsters like me.  

Notice who gets on because of physical "irregularities"? Men - men who are ; overweight, bald or short. What about women who are overweight, short or....maybe "conventionally plain"? And...dare I ask...what about "older women"? Just like everywhere else..we just don't $ell, sista's. Sorry but this time, Dr. Phil has let me down. 

I too agree that the older men that are available want some young thing to hang on their arm...kinda like a trophy to proove they still have it.  I am 62 and have been told many times that I look and act like a woman in her 40s.  But still...men don't want 40ish women either.  They want younger ones.  A lot of younger ones go with the men because they are financially secure.  I couldnt care less how much money they have or dont have.  I dont want/need "things" but rather would love to find a nice gentleman I could talk to and go to dinner with.  I also have my 9 year old granddaughter whom I am raising. (must be why I act young?)  Men my age don't want a woman who has a child.  I was very disappointed in today's show.  Dr Phil....are you trying to compete with the reality shows?  I personally don't like those shows.  The people are too superficial. 

Thanks for allowing me to vent my frustrations. 

February 13, 2006, 3:57 pm CST

02/13 Love Smart Island, Part 1

Quote From: tauthement

I agree totally, Let Do It Dr. Phil, how about a Love Smart Island show for us woman over 40. I like the show very much but the whole while i was watching i thought how great it would be if these were woman that were "Gems". 

"Dating is infinely easier in one's twenties and thirties. If you want to make a point about your dating philosophy do a show with us." 

Dating in one's thirties is not all that easy, maybe in your twenties it is, but then again, I don't remember it being a piece of cake then either.  Simply put, it's rough no matter what age. 

February 13, 2006, 4:00 pm CST

One for Us Gems

Quote From: tauthement

I agree totally, Let Do It Dr. Phil, how about a Love Smart Island show for us woman over 40. I like the show very much but the whole while i was watching i thought how great it would be if these were woman that were "Gems". 

I am 49 and have been divorced for quite a few years.  I am happy with my life but friends are always asking why is it that I'm not dating anyone.  I tell them that I haven't met anyone.  So what about it, how do the "gems" get to have a Love Smart Island show?

February 13, 2006, 4:15 pm CST

ditto

Quote From: divaless

Amen! I was going to ask the same thing. It seems everytime one of these shows is done it's about men and women in their twenties or early thirties. What about us primetimers who for one reason or another find ourselves alone again and either don't "remember" or know how to do the dating scene again? Come on Dr. Phil-where's our advice??
I was thinking the same thing. What about me? I was married for almost 15 years. I was a stay at home mom and homeschooled my kids. He left in 2000. I have had to change my world to make it and keep a home for us. I would love to have somebody in my life again to enjoy and to be enjoyed by but where do we find them we are 40 or above and may not be barbies? :) It does seem that these types of things are designed for the younger crowd. WHAT ABOUT US DR. PHIL? :)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last