Message Boards

Topic : 02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Number of Replies: 194
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:47:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's brutal. It's cutthroat. It's competitive. It leaves you wounded, scarred and absolutely exhausted. We're talking about LOVE! A group of frustrated singles set sail for a getaway on Catalina Island so they can learn how to start "loving smart." Three women, who admit they're very picky, agree to an experiment to see what would happen if they're unable to judge a book by its cover. With blindfolds on, they go out on dates with men who think their appearances might not measure up with what women are looking for. Will these nice guys finish last when the blindfolds are removed? Then, Dillon and Donna have been dating for two years, yet she can't get over her insane jealousy. Will she be able to get her green-eyed monster under control before it runs him off? Plus, the latest on the love triangle among Todd, Hayley and Chad, and your chance to meet these eligible singles! Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 15, 2006, 9:50 pm CST

January's Attitude

I'm a long time watcher, first time writer.  I was compelled to write after I saw this episode!  I'm glad I taped it because I wanted to show my only son what type of girl to stay away from!  I couldn't believe how in love with herself January was! 

My son is a very good looking boy from a well to do family and I would be sick to my stomach if he ever came home with a girl like January!  No wonder she's single and I'm glad she's in love with herself because that's the only one who will put up with her. 

February 15, 2006, 10:24 pm CST

02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Quote From: spreston

I certainly concur with noted comments from a mature female who has difficulty meeting equals. 

Viewing the immaturity and 'trophy' mentality of the immature female guests is not mainstream 

America and does not represent a broad base that is in their 30-50's who are single, divorced 

or widowed.  That group has sincere voids in establishing relationships with their careers and 

personal commitments. 

I am 56 , run and swim everyday with a vivrant career in retail management, but do not date 

or have any relationships with the opposite sex.   I have no desire to be in the bars/nighclubs 

scene.  I feel I am professional, educated, well-spoken, and moderately handsome.... but  

I attract zero females.   Where is the 'target rich enviornment'  you speak of Dr. Phil? 

In watching your 'love smart' episodes, I was also thinking that it would be very nice to have a show dedicated to singles 50 and over.  It is so much more difficult meeting singles in my age range (51) and the techniques in your show are good ones, they just don't apply as much any more.  I, too, am very active, well educated, smart, have had a very lucrative professional career, and have chosen to now own my own business.  I have learned to discern what I like and don't like in a man/relationship, but do not have the opportunity to apply them.  Now that the 'climb the ladder' years are over and I'm very comfortable with where I am, I have found it very difficult, too, to attract the male population.  What is happening and why can't I become successful in the 'partner' game?  It's now time to play!!!

February 15, 2006, 11:39 pm CST

To Martin

I just wanted to tell you I think you are way too hard on yourself.  You're plenty handsome - what I call a "guy guy," not a pretty boy.  My boyfriend is bald, overweight, and treats me better than any man ever has.  We were friends for many years; we went dancing one evening, had a few drinks and I discovered when he held me on the dance floor, I melted.   We've been dating for 5 years and I still melt.  You remind me of the actor who played "Harry" on Sex in the City, Charlottes boyfriend she thought was "icky" at first.  It was like that for me, too.  I didn't think he was "my type."   What my guy and "Harry" have in common is confidence, personality, genuineness,  and most importantly, he wanted me and reminded me of that every day.  He won me over, big time.  Things don't happen overnight, so be patient, be confident and true to yourself, and know that a lot of viewers out there thought you were handsome.  I was shocked to hear you say you're not attractive.  Obviously, you have plenty of guts (you went on the Dr. Phil show!) and that's one of the most appealing qualities a man can have as far as I'm concerned and I'm not alone.  I'm no pushover, but I love to know if there's a sitaution that needs to be dealt with, I can count on him to take care of it.   Plus, like I joke with my man, "if one of us in this relationship has to be the pretty one, it had better be me - I'm the girl."  I like it that way - you'll find someone who is proud to be with you - don't accept anything less, you're adorable.  Good luck - there's a babe out there for you, go get her!   

February 16, 2006, 12:33 am CST

Ya Think???

Quote From: usc2006

Hi Todd.  My teen daughter and I were watching the Love Island shows and to my surprise (she's only 15) she said, "Todd's hot!"  She LOVED that you gave your date the tiny flower on Catalina Island and was even more thrilled that you retrieved it for her when she threw it away.  Give me one tiny wildflower any day over a bouquet of roses.....very spontaneous and romantic. 

I'm curious....Why did you appear on the Love Smart shows?  Certainly you weren't having trouble meeting women, were you?  That's a serious question, not a statement.    

What kinds of questions do you ask on dates now?  ..... if you don't mind sharing, that is! 

Jenny 

Ok, .............can I just stand up on behalf of 99.9% of female America and say.............. 

WE ALL THOUGHT HE WAS HOTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Thank you ...........and good night! 

Sherrie in TX 

February 16, 2006, 8:47 am CST

HOT, YES! But not just in looks

Quote From: singer7

Ok, .............can I just stand up on behalf of 99.9% of female America and say.............. 

WE ALL THOUGHT HE WAS HOTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Thank you ...........and good night! 

Sherrie in TX 

Todd is very attactive in looks, but definately hot also in his personality.  As a single mother of three young children, I am looking for a man like Todd.  His romantic gestures were perfect.  A single wildflower in the spur of the moment is much more meaningful than a dozen roses to me.  That is one thing I overlooked  as important in deciding to marry, he never did anything to make me feel special to him.  Even though I came right out and gave him examples of what I wanted, he just didn't have it in him.   

Todd, if you are reading this, you should be affended of Colleen not realizing what a meaniful moment that was.  You will make the right woman "melt ".   

February 16, 2006, 9:27 am CST

Rick, Marty and John

I'm embarrasses by the actions of my fellow women.  You were all treated rather shabbily by these three "dumb Doras". 

John,  you have a very open and sincere face.  Handsome too.  If I had a daughter, I would encourage her to get to know you.  And a massage therapist to boot!  Wow.  I would consider you a great catch. 

Rick, I personally love your hair and you have a cherubbic face.  You make me think of angels.  If I had a daughter... 

Marty, you are an honest and sincere looking man.  You have what it takes to make a wonderful mate. 

As my mother told me after I had my heart broken by a very good looking cheater:  it takes three things to make a man:  a heart, a brain and a spine. 

Don't sell yourselves short and believe in your worth as human beings.  Be proud of your accomplishments and aim for the honest and sincere women who will appreciate what you have to offer in a relationship.  All the best in your quest! 

February 16, 2006, 10:22 am CST

Wait a minute

Quote From: ladybug11

why   are some people  have to have  mr. perfect!   no body's perfect!!!   anyway   i   am  looking for a man  thats a Christian, that put god first in his life.   if the man is not a Christian  ,  hes   not wroth  having.   a good man  is a christian  man that loves god!!

Wait just a minute.... 

Suppose God has a guy in mind for you who has left the Church because those around him were hypocritical and self righteous. 

And just what IS your definition of a Christian, anyway?  Is he a Pentecostal, or what? 

Even Paul says that a believer CAN marry a nonbeliever. 

Most Christians I've known were WORSE than I.  So, be careful of what you ask for. 

February 16, 2006, 10:23 am CST

Wait a minute

Quote From: ladybug11

why   are some people  have to have  mr. perfect!   no body's perfect!!!   anyway   i   am  looking for a man  thats a Christian, that put god first in his life.   if the man is not a Christian  ,  hes   not wroth  having.   a good man  is a christian  man that loves god!!

Wait just a minute.... 

Suppose God has a guy in mind for you who has left the Church because those around him were hypocritical and self righteous. 

And just what IS your definition of a Christian, anyway?  Is he a Pentecostal, or what? 

Even Paul says that a believer CAN marry a nonbeliever. 

Most Christians I've known were WORSE than I.  So, be careful of what you ask for. 

February 16, 2006, 10:40 am CST

Why I want a younger woman

There are several reasons why I'm not interested in a woman who is my age-or even in her thirties, period. 

For starters, because I  have not many opportunties in life, I haven't seen as much of the world as I would like.  I don't want to be around someone who has been there and done that because she is only thinking of her biological clock.  She's been to Rio; been to Atlantic City, been to Paris-and all with other guys. 

So, now that she's settling down, she thinks I'm a great sucker, excuse me, "catch". 

I still want to explore, but she'll call me immature because I'm not ready for kids, while she is.   

No.  A girl  in her twenties hasn't had as much experience and still has the desire to explore what's around the next corner.  Plus, she's better looking. 

February 16, 2006, 10:42 am CST

Why I want a younger woman

There are several reasons why I'm not interested in a woman who is my age-or even in her thirties, period. 

For starters, because I  have not many opportunties in life, I haven't seen as much of the world as I would like.  I don't want to be around someone who has been there and done that because she is only thinking of her biological clock.  She's been to Rio; been to Atlantic City, been to Paris-and all with other guys. 

So, now that she's settling down, she thinks I'm a great sucker, excuse me, "catch". 

I still want to explore, but she'll call me immature because I'm not ready for kids, while she is.   

No.  A girl  in her twenties hasn't had as much experience and still has the desire to explore what's around the next corner.  Plus, she's better looking. 

I don't want leftovers.  I want someone who is fresh. 

First | Prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next | Last