Message Boards

Topic : 02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Number of Replies: 194
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:47:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's brutal. It's cutthroat. It's competitive. It leaves you wounded, scarred and absolutely exhausted. We're talking about LOVE! A group of frustrated singles set sail for a getaway on Catalina Island so they can learn how to start "loving smart." Three women, who admit they're very picky, agree to an experiment to see what would happen if they're unable to judge a book by its cover. With blindfolds on, they go out on dates with men who think their appearances might not measure up with what women are looking for. Will these nice guys finish last when the blindfolds are removed? Then, Dillon and Donna have been dating for two years, yet she can't get over her insane jealousy. Will she be able to get her green-eyed monster under control before it runs him off? Plus, the latest on the love triangle among Todd, Hayley and Chad, and your chance to meet these eligible singles! Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 16, 2006, 10:43 am CST

To: John, Marty and Rick

Quote From: puttycat

I'm embarrasses by the actions of my fellow women.  You were all treated rather shabbily by these three "dumb Doras". 

John,  you have a very open and sincere face.  Handsome too.  If I had a daughter, I would encourage her to get to know you.  And a massage therapist to boot!  Wow.  I would consider you a great catch. 

Rick, I personally love your hair and you have a cherubbic face.  You make me think of angels.  If I had a daughter... 

Marty, you are an honest and sincere looking man.  You have what it takes to make a wonderful mate. 

As my mother told me after I had my heart broken by a very good looking cheater:  it takes three things to make a man:  a heart, a brain and a spine. 

Don't sell yourselves short and believe in your worth as human beings.  Be proud of your accomplishments and aim for the honest and sincere women who will appreciate what you have to offer in a relationship.  All the best in your quest! 

Dear John, Marty and Rick: 

It was great to see an "average Joe" dating women who are classified as 10's.   

But what about you?  Have you considered going out with a "Laverne or Shirley"? 

If the woman is a few pounds overweight, or wears clothes from the discount store, 

would you be interested?  What if she didn't care if her hair was combed or clean!! 

Isn't about time the guys learned that it is important to get their appearance in order? 

Why would I want to go out with a guy who spent 10 minutes getting ready? 

I spend about 2 hours to get ready.   Hair, make-up, iron clothes, polish shoes etc. 

You have to put something into this too. 

February 16, 2006, 12:41 pm CST

Men are allowed to be shallow and mean?

Some here said they are embaressed by the women's behavior over the 3 average Joes. Did anyone once stop to consider the reason the "AVErage Joe's " are still single? Probably because they are so shallow they will not date women who are overweight,have bad hair,dress badly ect in other worrds women like them. I'm sure there are tons of "Average" women out there willing to date them. From this website alone so many women are feeling sorry for these guys and want to set them up. But guess what??? They would probably turn down the people they are set up with as not good enough. The problem with this world is men are put on a pedestal to want and expect beautiful women. They will moan and cry that they are single because of their looks, not because in reality they shun women who look like them. Now it is getting so bad Average Joe's are traveling to poor countries in order to get the "hot women" that will not date them in the U.S. They are willing to marry a financially poor woman they cannot communicate with because they do not speak her language( great way to really get the know the inner beauty) in order to have arm candy . The same Average Joe's we feel sorry for are also ignoring the "average" foreign women too and trying for the hottest,youngest ones because now their American status can get them what they really want. For those beratting the women it's about time you opened your eyes and realized there are tons of nice average women out there looking for Mr. Right and are not too picky. Unfortunately Mr. Right no matter how ugly,old,fat or dumb he is thinks he deserves better because men and woman in this society make him feel entitled. While even beautiful women are put down,insulted and belittled for having a physical preference. WHAT A SHAME!!!!

February 16, 2006, 1:03 pm CST

Grooming

Quote From: wobegone

Dear John, Marty and Rick: 

It was great to see an "average Joe" dating women who are classified as 10's.   

But what about you?  Have you considered going out with a "Laverne or Shirley"? 

If the woman is a few pounds overweight, or wears clothes from the discount store, 

would you be interested?  What if she didn't care if her hair was combed or clean!! 

Isn't about time the guys learned that it is important to get their appearance in order? 

Why would I want to go out with a guy who spent 10 minutes getting ready? 

I spend about 2 hours to get ready.   Hair, make-up, iron clothes, polish shoes etc. 

You have to put something into this too. 

The point is that these guys were not unkept or slovenly.  They were men who wanted to meet women of substance.  What they got instead were pin heads who can't get past the looks, the labels and these unrealistic expectations. Relationships take time and effort.  Buzzing by someone and dismissing them out of hand because they didn't meet these unrealistic and very superficial expectations speaks more to the character (or lack thereof) of these girls.   

I agree that we should all make an effort to show the world that we have pride in ourselves.  That just means being okay in your skin, appreciating the fact that you may not be everyone's ideal and being okay with that. It means loving yourself and accepting that you aren't perfect and that everyone has worth.  It is hurtful to be treated this way and I am glad these three men were not "chosen" by these three women. 

February 16, 2006, 1:11 pm CST

Oh Please!

Quote From: ladybug11

why   are some people  have to have  mr. perfect!   no body's perfect!!!   anyway   i   am  looking for a man  thats a Christian, that put god first in his life.   if the man is not a Christian  ,  hes   not wroth  having.   a good man  is a christian  man that loves god!!
Okay, my personal experience has been that the so-called Christians out there believe themselves to be above reproach and very well positioned to JUDGE others.  I cannot believe that you would turn away anyone who does not fit your definition of a christian.  Have you heard the story of the woman who answered her door to a homeless man?  All he wanted was a little bread.  She turned him away because he was unkept.  Little did she know that he was God's messenger, sent there to teach her to open her heart and her mind? Narrow minded "christians" are a blight on the face of the earth.  Have fun judging each other till death parts you!

February 16, 2006, 1:43 pm CST

DR. PHIL DIDN'T GET IT

Dillon & Donna - It is totally inappropriate for a committed/married man to flirt with any woman that is not his significant other/wife.  My husband (of 9 years) is a flirt.  He has always been a flirt, I knew this when I married him.  Didn't have a problem with it until last year when he started hiding his cell phone from me.  When I checked his phone he had a voice mail from a woman that said "Just wanted to hear your voice, I love you." He had a text from another woman telling him how sexy he was and what type of lingerie she was wearing.  There was another woman at our local grocery store whose husband called me  to say that she was having inappropriate conversations with my husband and they were divorcing because of it.  I talked to all three of these women, they all told me the same thing.....HE NEVER SAID HE WAS MARRIED.  I was crushed and heartbroken.  When confronted, he said he did nothing wrong.  He was just talking to all these women and they all took what he said the wrong way.  He said he loved me and would never do anything physical with any of these women.  They all said nothing physical had happened.  How am I supposed to believe that or anything else he says??  He says he is the way he is (a flirt) and he won't change.    We went to a marriage counselor who told me I had to get over it and not be so insecure!!   What my husband did was 100% wrong!!  He refuses to own up to what he did or even tell me why he feels the need to flirt with other women.  Instead of telling me that he is sorry he hurt my feelings and that he will not talk to other women inappropriately, he tells me I don't know what I'm talking about and that it is my problem because I am insecure and have low self-esteem!!  Dr. Phil should have addressed the fact that Dillon was acting inappropriately with other women as well as telling Donna to do something to feel better about herself.

February 16, 2006, 1:43 pm CST

look now

Quote From: puttycat

Okay, my personal experience has been that the so-called Christians out there believe themselves to be above reproach and very well positioned to JUDGE others.  I cannot believe that you would turn away anyone who does not fit your definition of a christian.  Have you heard the story of the woman who answered her door to a homeless man?  All he wanted was a little bread.  She turned him away because he was unkept.  Little did she know that he was God's messenger, sent there to teach her to open her heart and her mind? Narrow minded "christians" are a blight on the face of the earth.  Have fun judging each other till death parts you!
i  am not judgeing no one!!!   i am just saying  that   a christian  man that loves god, is a better man to have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     for one thing  men  that are not christians need  to   be witness too about jesus.  hopefully they will get saved...       i just don't want to go out with a man  thats not a christian!  because  for one thing   he might  be the kind of person that drinks, partys, go too clubs or bars,do drugs, look at x rated movies, nude pics!!  i am not saying  all men that are not saved  does all these things.  but most do..yes i might give a man thats not saved a chance!   i would witness too him invite him too church..   if he would not accecpt jesus.  after a few months. then i would leave him...     i  want to rise a family in a christian home...  

February 16, 2006, 1:55 pm CST

quote!

Quote From: jim1970

Wait just a minute.... 

Suppose God has a guy in mind for you who has left the Church because those around him were hypocritical and self righteous. 

And just what IS your definition of a Christian, anyway?  Is he a Pentecostal, or what? 

Even Paul says that a believer CAN marry a nonbeliever. 

Most Christians I've known were WORSE than I.  So, be careful of what you ask for. 

hey!!!!!!!!!!!    well     my definiton  of a christian  is  a person  that   has  jesus in their hearts, lives for jesus,worship jesus, does whats right in jesus eyes,   goes too church every sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     also that  don't  drink, go too clubs or bars, party's, do drugs, look at nude pics!!  cares  for other people!!!!     puts jesus first in their life!    thats  what a christian is..         if most christians  you know are wrose then you. then they are not true christians!  they may say they are christians  and go to church.  but   not liveing a christian life..   you have too have jesus in your heart and live for him everyday...   so if they say they are and don't have him in their hearts. they are only  fooling themselfs..

February 16, 2006, 4:52 pm CST

02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Quote From: sunnycat

Dillon & Donna - It is totally inappropriate for a committed/married man to flirt with any woman that is not his significant other/wife.  My husband (of 9 years) is a flirt.  He has always been a flirt, I knew this when I married him.  Didn't have a problem with it until last year when he started hiding his cell phone from me.  When I checked his phone he had a voice mail from a woman that said "Just wanted to hear your voice, I love you." He had a text from another woman telling him how sexy he was and what type of lingerie she was wearing.  There was another woman at our local grocery store whose husband called me  to say that she was having inappropriate conversations with my husband and they were divorcing because of it.  I talked to all three of these women, they all told me the same thing.....HE NEVER SAID HE WAS MARRIED.  I was crushed and heartbroken.  When confronted, he said he did nothing wrong.  He was just talking to all these women and they all took what he said the wrong way.  He said he loved me and would never do anything physical with any of these women.  They all said nothing physical had happened.  How am I supposed to believe that or anything else he says??  He says he is the way he is (a flirt) and he won't change.    We went to a marriage counselor who told me I had to get over it and not be so insecure!!   What my husband did was 100% wrong!!  He refuses to own up to what he did or even tell me why he feels the need to flirt with other women.  Instead of telling me that he is sorry he hurt my feelings and that he will not talk to other women inappropriately, he tells me I don't know what I'm talking about and that it is my problem because I am insecure and have low self-esteem!!  Dr. Phil should have addressed the fact that Dillon was acting inappropriately with other women as well as telling Donna to do something to feel better about herself.
Sorry to hear about your husband. I agree with your advice to Donna. Dillan is a huge part of the problem. Also Donna dear, you can do so much better as he really does not have a lot of empathy or respect for you. Unfortunately we as women are supposed to except the fact men will flirt and look at women"unless he is dead" which I disagree with and find disrespectful. a man should not want to shame his wife. along with the fact women no matter how attractive are not supposed to have physical ,but men no matter how unattractive are excused because 'men fall in love with their eyes. Again Dr. Phil gives men a way out of bad behavior by blaming the woman. Dr. Phil, why don't you ever give a woman free reign for flirting and making her husband look like a chump and blame the husband! I also dare you to have a show with the 3 "Average Joe's" along with a hidden camera and see which type of women they hit on. I bet you they will all hit on very attractive ones and ignore the plain ones. You focussed on the fact the women were single, but did not focus on why the men were single. Pretty obvious, they think they deserve hot babes!!!. But then to do a show like that you would have to berate the men for not looking at "inner beauty" and you're not ready to do that are you????

February 16, 2006, 5:05 pm CST

02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Quote From: ladybug11

thats cool!!     have you lived there all your life!   

yes ... all 27 years ... born and raised ... getting expensive to live here though :-) 

February 16, 2006, 7:09 pm CST

Quote From: bowler803

yes ... all 27 years ... born and raised ... getting expensive to live here though :-) 

well    if you ever want too chat   let me know!   take care

First | Prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next | Last