Message Boards

Topic : 02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Number of Replies: 194
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:47:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's brutal. It's cutthroat. It's competitive. It leaves you wounded, scarred and absolutely exhausted. We're talking about LOVE! A group of frustrated singles set sail for a getaway on Catalina Island so they can learn how to start "loving smart." Three women, who admit they're very picky, agree to an experiment to see what would happen if they're unable to judge a book by its cover. With blindfolds on, they go out on dates with men who think their appearances might not measure up with what women are looking for. Will these nice guys finish last when the blindfolds are removed? Then, Dillon and Donna have been dating for two years, yet she can't get over her insane jealousy. Will she be able to get her green-eyed monster under control before it runs him off? Plus, the latest on the love triangle among Todd, Hayley and Chad, and your chance to meet these eligible singles! Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 20, 2006, 4:53 pm CST

Who are they to judge?

I am sorry to see that those women were so picky. I bet their parents, etc were not that way. They seem to think that Mr Perfect is out there. No one is perfect. I would enjoy being with Rick or Martin. They seem warm and charming.

February 20, 2006, 6:39 pm CST

Careful of judging??

Quote From: singer7

I sure am glad I won't be judged by someone like you!  You should be careful how you judge people.................often that comes back to bite you in the butt! 

Judging? 

They put themselves on television because they have issues. 

I recognize the issues as bad outlooks, as did Dr. Phil.  

If that is judging in your world or article of faith, let it be so.  

This isn't about religious beliefs, it is about common courtesy and maturity, 

which the young ladies did not exhibit. Nothing judgemental about it. 

February 21, 2006, 9:54 am CST

Thanks (I think!)

Quote From: marcys

Good luck rising your family.
I have a wonderful husband of only 20 years and two fab sons.  We are raising them together and they know substance is far more important than looks.  I am very blessed.

February 21, 2006, 1:41 pm CST

Sexual Attraction

Hi 

I'm wondering about being attracted to a man that I wouldn't typically find handsome or attractive.  I know in the past when I've been wildly attracted to a man and followed these instincts, it may have led to great sex but not a great relationship.  My question is - how to develop sexual attraction (a must for a good relationship in my book) with a man I don't find attractive initially.  I don't want to fake attraction and I don't want to lie to myself to get into a relationship-I want to be attracted.  I welcome ideas on whether real 'hot' attraction can come over time with a man not initially perceived as attractive.  Thanks for your thoughts. 

TW 

February 21, 2006, 3:44 pm CST

Perception.........

Quote From: wuviee

Judging? 

They put themselves on television because they have issues. 

I recognize the issues as bad outlooks, as did Dr. Phil.  

If that is judging in your world or article of faith, let it be so.  

This isn't about religious beliefs, it is about common courtesy and maturity, 

which the young ladies did not exhibit. Nothing judgemental about it. 

I'll just say this. A college professor said this one day in choir rehearsal and it stuck. Maybe you will get it.  

I love you 

When you read those 3 powerful words...............what is your perception???? Think about it...........Did I mean..........I love you!! ............or did I mean...........I love you?? .........or I love you. With no punctuation...........You have no idea what those 3 words mean.  Without getting to know the people on the show, it is unfair to say you/we know exactly what kind of person they are in life. 

Just because your perception of these people is bad (based on a one hour edited TV show) does not mean you know these people or what they are like.  

Many people feel those people put themselves at risk to better themselves and others! Did you read the posts from any of the girls who were on the show??? 

I really don't think you or I have enough information about these people to "sum" them or their actions up in one edited hour of their lives.  

What goes around.........comes around! Someone could perceive you in ways that may not be true to your nature, but given the right circumstances.....................we all can be seen negatively under the right microscope................such as yours. 

You will either get this when you read it.......................or learn it the hard way some day! 

February 22, 2006, 4:25 pm CST

THIS DOOR SWINGS BOTH WAYS

Attention Gentlemen of the World: 

Just because a woman doesn't look like Angelina J or J Lo doesn't mean she would not be a good date.   Too many of the "average Joes" are looking for a Playboy bunny.   And the ironic part is that they are the ones who cry "foul!" when one of the "beautiful 10's" turn them down.   

Why don't we try fixing up these "average Joes" with a couple of "Laverne & Shirleys"? 

February 22, 2006, 4:31 pm CST

Get a Grip

The three women January, Kim, and Ashley need to get a grip on themselves.  They were all attractive women but none were what you would call a "10".  It is good that they have a lot of confidence in their selves but they are a little too self centered and if they keep the route they're on they'll be with jerks the rest of their life.  Especially January, she was just full of herself. They all need to take a long look  inside and figure out what is really important - Joe stud or an average guy with a heart of gold that would treat them like a queen. 

February 22, 2006, 4:38 pm CST

How about a Love Smart Island for the vintage crew?

Quote From: mrmark45

I am firty one--an age range definitely more challenged in the dating world.  Lets face it--women and men in their twenties and thirties have many more options that glues a relationship together-such as kids, jobs, youthful exuberance.  When two people meet each other at 50 years old we have to truly be responsible to wanting and caring for each other without much more than the clothes we wear.  I understand there are many things that make a relationship-however I have been witness to countless thirtyish singles lip servicing relationship needs--jeez they spend more energy stating what they do not want more than what they do want..the explosion of empty nest divorces in parents finished raising their children(course we never stop) leaves a whole generation of men and women wondering what is in store for us in the future..I say--the youth may have the age thing goin but lets face it -we have all the money-and money buys freedom so lets just have fun, relax and leave ourselves open to possibilities as they may arise! Lets not eat ourselves into happiness, lets excersise ourselves into happiness--fit for life-Mark 

It is true, as a 50 something old person myself, it is so hard to meet someone.   Why doesn't Dr. Phil have a Love Smart Island for the 40+ age bracket?  And this time, let's have an equal number of men to women.  And this time, let's have more "Average Janes".   This may point out to the men that those of us not hooked on Botox and designer clothes are quality persons.  

February 22, 2006, 5:38 pm CST

not all men

Quote From: julierouge

I almost cried yesterday when I watched that show.  It meant that if you don't look like her; the hell with you.  I will never be able to find a descent guy; because guys are only interested in women like her.
Only superficial men.real guys are interested in who you are,and take my word,there really are alot of us out there.

February 25, 2006, 9:17 am CST

02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Quote From: grownupgal

Hi 

I'm wondering about being attracted to a man that I wouldn't typically find handsome or attractive.  I know in the past when I've been wildly attracted to a man and followed these instincts, it may have led to great sex but not a great relationship.  My question is - how to develop sexual attraction (a must for a good relationship in my book) with a man I don't find attractive initially.  I don't want to fake attraction and I don't want to lie to myself to get into a relationship-I want to be attracted.  I welcome ideas on whether real 'hot' attraction can come over time with a man not initially perceived as attractive.  Thanks for your thoughts. 

TW 

I don't think what is being said is that you shouldn't be attracted to someone.  I think what is being said is that there are DIFFERENT TYPES OF ATTRACTION.  Like if you AGREE WITH SOMEONE on alot of things.... INTERESTS, THE WAY YOU DO THINGS.... just whatever agreeing on things... where you like to go to a restaurant.... and You RESPECT what he does.... You have an attraction in a different way.  I think when we are young.... we do see all the superficial things... AND CHANGE FOR THAT PERSON to something we may not prefer ourselves.... Where if someone is the way they are regardless of your influence the things you respect... You respect them more....Regardless of me they are going to go do certain things... goals... college?  I don't know but along those lines...?    I think they are talking about Attraction, BUT INNER ATTRACTION that perhaps grows over time and becomes an outer attraction that wasn't there initially......

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next | Last