Message Boards

Topic : 02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Number of Replies: 194
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:47:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's brutal. It's cutthroat. It's competitive. It leaves you wounded, scarred and absolutely exhausted. We're talking about LOVE! A group of frustrated singles set sail for a getaway on Catalina Island so they can learn how to start "loving smart." Three women, who admit they're very picky, agree to an experiment to see what would happen if they're unable to judge a book by its cover. With blindfolds on, they go out on dates with men who think their appearances might not measure up with what women are looking for. Will these nice guys finish last when the blindfolds are removed? Then, Dillon and Donna have been dating for two years, yet she can't get over her insane jealousy. Will she be able to get her green-eyed monster under control before it runs him off? Plus, the latest on the love triangle among Todd, Hayley and Chad, and your chance to meet these eligible singles! Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 25, 2006, 9:25 am CST

02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

I think probably the biggest HINDRANCE for young, innocent single, never been in a relationship people is NERVES..... I remember being single and liking guys secretly and just not talking to them.  And not knowing what to say or no plan... I don't know why.  Because now... many years later and one relationship later... I am not afraid to talk to anyone.  Like if I wanted to meet someone,  it wouldn't be hard to make an excuse and find a subject.... (fun, but slightly screening) to talk about.....If you have never been married or had children... the subject is UNKNOWN, a pioneer.... After the fact you know there are BASICS that you need and some habits and character flaws just don't MIX with a marriage and family.....  REALISTIC vs UNREALISTIC.  I notice that alot in my daughter when she shares her DREAMS and they touch the sky.... and I remember being that way.... BUT THAT'S ALL GOOD AND WELL.... but there is REALITY and JUST LIVING HAPPILY AND PEACEFULLY FROM DAY TO DAY.....

March 8, 2006, 12:54 pm CST

Quote From: bachlrtodd

Jenny, 

Thanks, if you are the type of girl that knows to hold onto a gesture like the flower then I am sure you will do great.  I am more of a romantic person and I thought the flower would be a nice memory of what we got to experience together. 

I appeared on the show because I really wanted to meet someone.  If I didn't meet someone, then maybe I would learn more about myself or someone would see me and write into the show to meet me.  I like having a special person in my life.  I was very commited to my ex fiance who's emotional insecurities unfortunately got the better part of our relationship. 

There is a section in Dr Phil's book called infared dating that has great questions to ask.  I learned more about Colleen in 30 minutes with the questions than I did the whole day I before.   

The questions I was given to ask Collen were. 

Tell me why you are a great catch? 

What is your biggest regret in your last relationship? 

Tell me something you would never tell somebody on a first date? 

Tell me why you think you'll be a good parent? 

Show me on of your hidden talents. 

Good luck! 

Todd 

Hey  Todd...I just bought Dr. Phil's book and I'm looking forward to learning a lot! 

Thank you for posting the questions you asked on your date - those are GREAT questions.  Love that it was all put out there on the first date. 

I hope you learned a lot from your experience on the show. 

Thank you for allowing all of "us" (the viewers) to be a part of it. 

Best of luck to you! 

April 5, 2006, 7:52 pm CDT

some unsolicited advice....

Quote From: sportschic

You are not kidding! It's like a mini-Manhattan down here in Tampa, where the men think of themselves as the big prizes! What ever happened to the women being attractive and sexy, the pursued? Men here have the attitude "don't settle" because there will be a more attractive one around the corner. If they were more concerned with what they were getting involved with on the inside, they might not get themselves in so many bad relationships. I am very physically attractive, but not perfect....the men here are on some kind of eternal quest for the impossible.

I met my husband in Orlando at a singles organization called Dinner Dates. They bring together equal numbers of men and women of various age groups for cocktails, dinner, and dancing. You are not set up with anyone specifically, but they do a good job of facilitating conversations and introducing people of similar interests.  It's a bit expensive, but obviously for me, it was worth it. 

Before I did this, I went through a horrible break-up ( and an even worse engagement before that). I was 32 and seriously doubting my own self-worth. I read Life Strategies AND Relationship Rescue before I did this. I decided that I really wanted to meet Mr. Right so I went  with a VERY deliberate plan. I met many Mr. SO SO WRONGS, but I also met Mr. Perfect for Me (I know there was a lot of luck involved - part of my plan was NOT to fall for the first guy who paid attention to me and "seemed nice.") 

Anyway, my biggest advice is to get yourself emotionally ready, and put yourself out there where you are most likely to find what you are looking for. I was just browsing the boards, and saw the Florida tag and though maybe I could help. Good luck!!! 

June 9, 2006, 12:32 pm CDT

Quote From: la_rousse

I was moved when I saw the previews for this afternoon show.  Though Dr Phil's book tell us when loving smart that we should not compare.  Sometimes we make our own problems looking so much bigger (guilty, lol!), but seeing Paula made me realise that my situation is not so bad.  Though I'm a strong woman, I'm sufficient financially and this may scare some men.  I don't have fame to deal with.  I really hope you finds someone nice, a cool guy and so I do for myself too. 

Maybe you can pass her on this message: 

Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they

are afraid of falling and getting hurt. So, instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy to reach.

The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality,they're amazing.
They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree.

january have you found that perfect guy yet? give us a chance.  

you know I have a similiar thought pattern to yours but I was amused that after I got to know some people I was really suprised at how great they were! It's after you know someone (which takes some time) that you can appreciate the great qualities some people have, and on contrary maybe some not so good.   So I am like you, working on knowing people first , trying not to judge them soley on looks, it's hard but trying :) 

First | Prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next Page | Last Page