Message Boards

Topic : 02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Number of Replies: 194
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:47:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's brutal. It's cutthroat. It's competitive. It leaves you wounded, scarred and absolutely exhausted. We're talking about LOVE! A group of frustrated singles set sail for a getaway on Catalina Island so they can learn how to start "loving smart." Three women, who admit they're very picky, agree to an experiment to see what would happen if they're unable to judge a book by its cover. With blindfolds on, they go out on dates with men who think their appearances might not measure up with what women are looking for. Will these nice guys finish last when the blindfolds are removed? Then, Dillon and Donna have been dating for two years, yet she can't get over her insane jealousy. Will she be able to get her green-eyed monster under control before it runs him off? Plus, the latest on the love triangle among Todd, Hayley and Chad, and your chance to meet these eligible singles! Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 14, 2006, 8:51 am CST

You can't judge a book by it's cover!

When I was in high school, '85-'89 - I was madly in love with this particular guy's looks. When I got to know him, later date him; there was nothing there! He even knew that I was more in love with his "Tom Cruise" looks than him. Once, he asked me "What would happen if I was in a fire and my face was destroyed?" I thought about that - I wouldn't love him anymore.  Fast forward to "looking to settle down" and my husband had discovered the same thing while he was dating previous to me, he only ever dated gorgeous women. The nicest compliment that my husband could have ever given me was to tell me that  I'm pretty and even though I may not be the most gorgeous woman out there (even I knew that) that he married me for me! He went on to tell me that he learned that    "10 women"  with all those looks really aren't all that and that he married me for me and he couldn't have chosen a better woman for his child - I knew that never again; would either of us be absorbed with someon's looks.  I think these women and others like them need to lower their standards and give all guys a chance - they'll end up being gorgeous to you once you get to know them! Because, you should never "judge a book by it's cover!" Being so conceded- makes even the most gorgeous woman and man u-g-l-y to be around!

February 14, 2006, 11:00 am CST

Such a shallow woman (-10)

The pretty blond who insists that she's a 10 and thus only wants to be with 10's has NO CLUE! She claims to be confident and self-assured, yet she has no concept of what it means to be confident. She is a most INSECURE woman.  

A confident woman doesn't have to tell herself she's a 10; she simply feels good about herself and loves her life. A confident woman knows that looks are unimportant in the whole scheme of life (lots of duds come with nice wrapping). A confident woman likes herself (especially her worth) enough that she doesn't need external reward (looks mean NOTHING). A confident woman likes herself enough that she doesn't need to have someone who looks perfect. A confident woman loves herself and appreciates all the many packages human being come in; the wrapping is unimportant (she'll find that out after she gets married:).  

This female guest feels very insecure about who she is and where she fits into this world; she NEEDS a great-looking guy to make her feel good about herself. If she were truly secure and confident, she wouldn't need a man to make her feel good. Did she really think she was fooling us???? 

Sadly, this type of woman will end up in a lousy marriage and become one of the 57% divorce statistics. I have been happily married for 16 years (minus the NORMAL ups and downs of committment) and my wonderful, handsome husband is my best friend. He is still the most beautiful human being in my eyes, even with the added pounds, thinning hair, bad breathe in the morning AND with the noisy kids in the background! Unless she changes how she views herself and others, she won't EVERr obtain the beauty of such a relationship. God has truly blessed us! 

February 14, 2006, 11:01 am CST

Why didn't you think like this when

Why didn't you gals think like this when you were young and PRETTY???? 

I had searched for a wife from the very beginning.  Now at 35, American women have gotten me so jaded that I view women as good for only one thing, since most women don't want to cook and still want to go out with the girls.   

I'd be happy to stay home with her, but the only women who think like that are homely. 

I can do better-and HAVE. 

February 14, 2006, 11:27 am CST

The self proclaimed picky girls...

These girls are not picky they are insane.  The blonde guy and the bald guy were very good looking.  I thought anyway.  I am married very happily but these women are crazy.  I cannot believe that, that January said the things she did on stage and on the Date to him.  This guy was very attractive and intelligent.  He is just not looking in the right place.  I found my husband at work.  I think my husband is very handsome and the best thing about him is he makes me laugh.   

To the Bald guy and the blonde guy:  You guys are great you have great personalities and I think you are handsome.  You don't need these girls...    Look at the grocery store and Church and maybe work.  You are to cute and intelligent to waste your time on these so called  "10"  (NOT) 

February 14, 2006, 11:39 am CST

02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Quote From: ladybug11

hello!!   well    i am 32  and still  have not found anyone yet.   its hard to find a good man.      i   am a christian  and i don't  drink,go to  bars or clubs!  i don't  care for partying.  its not for me.   i  don't like to be around  people that drink and get wasted.    they  act like jack***     also   they  act so inmuture.   i  tried  bars and clubs when i was in my 20's.   i hated it.        also   you can not find a good man at those places.  the men that go to bars and clubs  only want one thing sex.  in other words a one night stand!!!!!!!!!!!!       so when it comes to finding a man  a bar or club   is not the place too go..    so  it is hard finding a good man..     anyway   i care what jesus thinks of me  not what others think of me..

LoveBug -  

I think you need to get in touch with ontario983.  It sounds like you are looking for each other! 

February 14, 2006, 11:39 am CST

Quote From: flthomcat

The pretty blond who insists that she's a 10 and thus only wants to be with 10's has NO CLUE! She claims to be confident and self-assured, yet she has no concept of what it means to be confident. She is a most INSECURE woman.  

A confident woman doesn't have to tell herself she's a 10; she simply feels good about herself and loves her life. A confident woman knows that looks are unimportant in the whole scheme of life (lots of duds come with nice wrapping). A confident woman likes herself (especially her worth) enough that she doesn't need external reward (looks mean NOTHING). A confident woman likes herself enough that she doesn't need to have someone who looks perfect. A confident woman loves herself and appreciates all the many packages human being come in; the wrapping is unimportant (she'll find that out after she gets married:).  

This female guest feels very insecure about who she is and where she fits into this world; she NEEDS a great-looking guy to make her feel good about herself. If she were truly secure and confident, she wouldn't need a man to make her feel good. Did she really think she was fooling us???? 

Sadly, this type of woman will end up in a lousy marriage and become one of the 57% divorce statistics. I have been happily married for 16 years (minus the NORMAL ups and downs of committment) and my wonderful, handsome husband is my best friend. He is still the most beautiful human being in my eyes, even with the added pounds, thinning hair, bad breathe in the morning AND with the noisy kids in the background! Unless she changes how she views herself and others, she won't EVERr obtain the beauty of such a relationship. God has truly blessed us! 

It takes alot of confidence to expect more out of men and rate yourself a 10.  have a nice day!

February 14, 2006, 11:46 am CST

What about the men????

Why is okay for men to be shallow but not women?????  Women that put us down are putting us one step back in history....its always okay for men to be jerks.   Right?  These same women on here are probably the ones that have husbands out sleeping with hot blondes anyway!@!!   Men are all about looks, no matter what they say or how ugly thier wives are, they always look at, cheat with, and treat better that cute young ones.  So maybe you should get off the computer and tend to your husbands!

February 14, 2006, 12:01 pm CST

Quote From: januarymm

Why is okay for men to be shallow but not women?????  Women that put us down are putting us one step back in history....its always okay for men to be jerks.   Right?  These same women on here are probably the ones that have husbands out sleeping with hot blondes anyway!@!!   Men are all about looks, no matter what they say or how ugly thier wives are, they always look at, cheat with, and treat better that cute young ones.  So maybe you should get off the computer and tend to your husbands!

Just remember That its television!!!!! 

February 14, 2006, 12:05 pm CST

Quote From: januarymm

remember ladies you were all like us one day and some of you still are!!!

February 14, 2006, 12:30 pm CST

For Paula,

I was moved when I saw the previews for this afternoon show.  Though Dr Phil's book tell us when loving smart that we should not compare.  Sometimes we make our own problems looking so much bigger (guilty, lol!), but seeing Paula made me realise that my situation is not so bad.  Though I'm a strong woman, I'm sufficient financially and this may scare some men.  I don't have fame to deal with.  I really hope you finds someone nice, a cool guy and so I do for myself too. 

Maybe you can pass her on this message: 

Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they

are afraid of falling and getting hurt. So, instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy to reach.

The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality,they're amazing.
They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last