Message Boards

Topic : 02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Number of Replies: 194
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:47:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's brutal. It's cutthroat. It's competitive. It leaves you wounded, scarred and absolutely exhausted. We're talking about LOVE! A group of frustrated singles set sail for a getaway on Catalina Island so they can learn how to start "loving smart." Three women, who admit they're very picky, agree to an experiment to see what would happen if they're unable to judge a book by its cover. With blindfolds on, they go out on dates with men who think their appearances might not measure up with what women are looking for. Will these nice guys finish last when the blindfolds are removed? Then, Dillon and Donna have been dating for two years, yet she can't get over her insane jealousy. Will she be able to get her green-eyed monster under control before it runs him off? Plus, the latest on the love triangle among Todd, Hayley and Chad, and your chance to meet these eligible singles! Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 14, 2006, 12:31 pm CST

Picky girls

Quote From: pcrater

These girls are not picky they are insane.  The blonde guy and the bald guy were very good looking.  I thought anyway.  I am married very happily but these women are crazy.  I cannot believe that, that January said the things she did on stage and on the Date to him.  This guy was very attractive and intelligent.  He is just not looking in the right place.  I found my husband at work.  I think my husband is very handsome and the best thing about him is he makes me laugh.   

To the Bald guy and the blonde guy:  You guys are great you have great personalities and I think you are handsome.  You don't need these girls...    Look at the grocery store and Church and maybe work.  You are to cute and intelligent to waste your time on these so called  "10"  (NOT) 

These girls are so much in love with themselves they do not have room left over for a nice guy. In fact they do not even deserve a nice guy!!!!

February 14, 2006, 12:33 pm CST

Petty, immature, shallow, need I continue?

I've enjoyed this show because it has provided much entertainment and laughter. 

As shallow as these girls are, I doubt they will ever learn or even appreciate what 

one can find when you look within. 

The big guy with the funny hair (as she stated) would likely bring her coffee in bed each day, 

sing her praises, do anything in his power to please her, but no, she's too busy wading in 

the shallow pool to 'get it'.   

The supposed 10? We'll check back with you when gravity sets in, unless you hit the 

plastic surgeon in a desperate attempt to stop the clock. Your attitude not only detracts from 

the number, but greatly reduces it.  

The jealous girlfriend? Please. If you have to follow your man around in fear he will leave, why  

have him? I have more important things to do than fret over my husband looking at another woman. 

If he was even worth having, it wouldn't be a concern. If he were worth keeping, he wouldn't look 

in the first place. What a whiny baby. Dump her and move on, boyfriend.  

Get a life, girls. Grow up.  

February 14, 2006, 12:41 pm CST

Thank you!

Quote From: wendeebank

...you thought the three young ladies on first were not very good looking and the more they talked, the uglier they became. 

...you would be embarrassed if they were your daughters! 

...think that that are very immature, not very intelligent, rude, lack manners and class, oh so much more! 

...you thought that "experiment" was stupid and cruel and didn't work! 

To the young ladies: 

No one should settle for Mr. Wrong.    There is so much more to life, love and marriage than looks and a hot body!  You won't understand until you get there, but boy do you have a lot to learn about life.   Enjoy your life, your youth now and just being you.  Do good things for yourself and improve who you are on the inside such as, take classes in something you've always wanted to try, travel, have fun with your girlfriends, give to others such as charity events/work, go to your church and enjoy it, learn about it.  And please, quit being so shallow and classless.  It looks and is bad!   When you least expect it,  along comes love.   You all seem to make love all about the superficial things which couldn't be further than the true meaning.   

If you are looking for the right mate, please do the above first, but also be sure to find a man that has a good heart, loves you for you, is not self-centered, has a job and an education, does not have an addiction to something that isn't healthy/good, an even temperment, actually likes his family, animals and kids and has a good spiritual soul.  He should also have some of the same interests as you and compliment who you are, not compete with you.    Notice I said nothing about looks or body type!  There are tons of men out there.  Some may also have the bonus of great looks, good looks, average looks but once you learn to love who someone is on the inside, you'll be amazed at how beautiful they are to you on the outside.  Those things you thought were gross on a man before, becomes the thing that you may just love and adore about him. 

When I was in HIGH SCHOOL my girlfriends and I sounded just like you.   I distinctly remember a moment while on a school trip to Walt Disney World.  While waiting in line with my friends, there was a guy with his family in front of us with back hair, yes, back hair.  All of us girls eewwed, whispered and said gross,(during our era I think it was "Oh my gosh, grody!).  That feature was not on the "list" we made of our perfect man.  Guess what...all of us and I mean all us married guys with back hair!!(My husband would die if he read this!:))But my point is, when you grow up, the important things about the man you love way, way overshadow the shallowness,(and back hair;)). 

I'm proud to say my husband and I have been married for 12 years, have 4 beautiful sons, lots of love, go to a wonderful church, have lots of friends/family.  We've been through deaths, friends divorces, a horrible accident, ups and downs of all kinds.  We have weathered the storms of love and life.  Never once have we said, "we've made it through all of these ups and downs in our marriage because of your hot body and good looks!  Thank God for those because we could have never survived losing my Mom or made it through  your car accident! In fact, I bet that's what pulled you out of that coma!  Our son survived that bad fall and stitches because you don't have any body hair!  Whew, Amen for that!":)   

As a mother of 4 sons, I'm watching out for girls like you.  No way and I mean no way do I want them to marry someone like you...unless of course you change.  I can only hope... 

Good luck! God bless! 

I'm laughing right along with you. I have two sons and used to live in fear they could 

drag home one of these self centered snots I'd have to call a daughter in law. 

I'll relax with a great big sigh, though, as I feel confident I've raised great 

boys with a normal sense of what a good woman truly is. 

These girls may never 'get it' because it appears the shallow goes all the way to the bone. 

February 14, 2006, 12:42 pm CST

january

Quote From: januarymm

It takes alot of confidence to expect more out of men and rate yourself a 10.  have a nice day!
 No, that's not confidence it's arrogance! You are missing a LOT with your shallow attitude. My son WAS married to a twit that thought she was 'all that' (Operative word WAS)  The outer hull gets old real fast. If you have the personality like that you won't be with anyone long.

February 14, 2006, 12:48 pm CST

Found what I Like!

I saw the Feb. 13 show where you were introducing the blind fold experiment. The gentleman that had the shaved head I found to be quite attractive and seemed quite genuine. I don't know where he lives, but I would love to get to know him. When I was 20 I was more shallow, looks being important. As I am 40--something, I have realized, as I should, that there is so much more to life and relationships -- and I find bald sexy!!!

February 14, 2006, 12:50 pm CST

Amen!!!!

Quote From: wendeebank

...you thought the three young ladies on first were not very good looking and the more they talked, the uglier they became. 

...you would be embarrassed if they were your daughters! 

...think that that are very immature, not very intelligent, rude, lack manners and class, oh so much more! 

...you thought that "experiment" was stupid and cruel and didn't work! 

To the young ladies: 

No one should settle for Mr. Wrong.    There is so much more to life, love and marriage than looks and a hot body!  You won't understand until you get there, but boy do you have a lot to learn about life.   Enjoy your life, your youth now and just being you.  Do good things for yourself and improve who you are on the inside such as, take classes in something you've always wanted to try, travel, have fun with your girlfriends, give to others such as charity events/work, go to your church and enjoy it, learn about it.  And please, quit being so shallow and classless.  It looks and is bad!   When you least expect it,  along comes love.   You all seem to make love all about the superficial things which couldn't be further than the true meaning.   

If you are looking for the right mate, please do the above first, but also be sure to find a man that has a good heart, loves you for you, is not self-centered, has a job and an education, does not have an addiction to something that isn't healthy/good, an even temperment, actually likes his family, animals and kids and has a good spiritual soul.  He should also have some of the same interests as you and compliment who you are, not compete with you.    Notice I said nothing about looks or body type!  There are tons of men out there.  Some may also have the bonus of great looks, good looks, average looks but once you learn to love who someone is on the inside, you'll be amazed at how beautiful they are to you on the outside.  Those things you thought were gross on a man before, becomes the thing that you may just love and adore about him. 

When I was in HIGH SCHOOL my girlfriends and I sounded just like you.   I distinctly remember a moment while on a school trip to Walt Disney World.  While waiting in line with my friends, there was a guy with his family in front of us with back hair, yes, back hair.  All of us girls eewwed, whispered and said gross,(during our era I think it was "Oh my gosh, grody!).  That feature was not on the "list" we made of our perfect man.  Guess what...all of us and I mean all us married guys with back hair!!(My husband would die if he read this!:))But my point is, when you grow up, the important things about the man you love way, way overshadow the shallowness,(and back hair;)). 

I'm proud to say my husband and I have been married for 12 years, have 4 beautiful sons, lots of love, go to a wonderful church, have lots of friends/family.  We've been through deaths, friends divorces, a horrible accident, ups and downs of all kinds.  We have weathered the storms of love and life.  Never once have we said, "we've made it through all of these ups and downs in our marriage because of your hot body and good looks!  Thank God for those because we could have never survived losing my Mom or made it through  your car accident! In fact, I bet that's what pulled you out of that coma!  Our son survived that bad fall and stitches because you don't have any body hair!  Whew, Amen for that!":)   

As a mother of 4 sons, I'm watching out for girls like you.  No way and I mean no way do I want them to marry someone like you...unless of course you change.  I can only hope... 

Good luck! God bless! 

You said it! The longer they talk the uglier they become.Yes, I am the mother of three very good looking sons and trust me, the one who thought she was just a gem was the one that lasted the least time. Keep an eye out for them Mom, You wouldn't believe what my former DIL was capable of. The one who wasn't married for her '10' looks is an absolute sweetheart and I wouldn't trade her for any of the shallow ingrates that we saw today.

February 14, 2006, 12:55 pm CST

hey everyone *new here*

I'm  a 24 yr old Hispanic female I live in NYC.  I'm a sweet girl looking for the right guy.  I'm looking for honesty, sense of humor and goal oriented. I have a bachelor degree in psychology and hopefully going for my masters this yr. I was born with a birth defect on my spine, but it doesn't stop me from doing  what it feels right to me.

February 14, 2006, 1:12 pm CST

Where?

Dr. Phil, where do you find these superficial/selfish people? 

February 14, 2006, 1:15 pm CST

Mr Right

For years I thought I would never find the right guy. Either I was interested and they weren't, or they were interested and I wasn't. I thought I had a commitment problem because every time a relationship got serious I'd start to hate the guy. I even stopped dating for 10 years because the emotionall stress was driving me crazy.  

About a year ago I decided to try online dating. There are a lot of sites out there, and tons of opportunities if you know how to be open but cautious. And I found him. We've been together for about 6 months now, and it's been the best six months of my life.  And no, it isn't all roses and sweet. We've had to deal with a lot of problems.  But we have discovered an ability to talk to each other in a way we never could with anyone else. And that pulls us through.  So what I want to tell you is...Don't give up, don't think there's something wrong with you. If it hasn't happened yet, then you havn't met Mr. Right yet. When you meet him things will work out. 

February 14, 2006, 1:17 pm CST

Get a Heart!!!

Quote From: adrien

First of all, since you are in your 50's mam or sir. Maybe you should just watch the show and not worry about whats on the net if you are 50 something and you need advice on dating you obviously will never get one...and if you dont like what you are seeing on Dr.Phil then don't watch it...it's that simple!!!

How can you be so cruel to say that someone over 50 will never "get one"?!?! Just wait until you are 50 and see how you feel. I hope that society will find more compassion for you than you show here. Shame on you! 

I am over 50 and single. It's not fun.  

But, I am fun! Dr. Phil's book has helped me alot and I am doing everything I can to widen my horizons and find a great guy who knows a great "girl" when he sees it. I know that God has his plan for me!  

I am huge Dr. Phil fan, but I, too, am very disappointed that there was not any effort to go beyond the young, 30 something, single. Very shallow show...but I do think it opened a few eyes.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last