Message Boards

Topic : 02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Number of Replies: 194
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:47:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's brutal. It's cutthroat. It's competitive. It leaves you wounded, scarred and absolutely exhausted. We're talking about LOVE! A group of frustrated singles set sail for a getaway on Catalina Island so they can learn how to start "loving smart." Three women, who admit they're very picky, agree to an experiment to see what would happen if they're unable to judge a book by its cover. With blindfolds on, they go out on dates with men who think their appearances might not measure up with what women are looking for. Will these nice guys finish last when the blindfolds are removed? Then, Dillon and Donna have been dating for two years, yet she can't get over her insane jealousy. Will she be able to get her green-eyed monster under control before it runs him off? Plus, the latest on the love triangle among Todd, Hayley and Chad, and your chance to meet these eligible singles! Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 14, 2006, 1:17 pm CST

Pardon??????

Quote From: januarymm

remember ladies you were all like us one day and some of you still are!!!
 You speak for yourself! No, not everyone was 'just like you'. Thank God I was raised by parents who taught me better than that.

February 14, 2006, 1:25 pm CST

Hey all

I thought this was a great show.  I've learned quite a bit about how other people react to similar situations I've been in.  This show also made me happy, about myself, and what I value.  I thought everyone on the show were troopers in the fact that they did this in front of a large audience....it's nerve racking enough to do it without a million eyes on you. 

My only beef is with January.   Unfortunately there are many women like her out there......think they'll find happiness in materialistic, outward appearance related things.  I feel bad for them, as they will never be truly happy.  She's a very attractive girl....on the outside.....but a pretty big turn-off when she expresses what's important.  Don't get me wrong.....everyone is entitled to their beliefs, and what they aspire to achieve in life.  Any man with a good head on his shoulders, would sooner be interested in someone with more amiable beliefs, than a pretty face........a pretty face only goes so far.....which isn't really far in the big scheme of things. 

I thought Colleen was very attractive....once she realizes how she affects the feelings of other people by her actions.  I did, however, see a good soul behind her beautiful eyes.  I truly think that she'll take what happen to heart in the future, and take her actions into account as they affect another person. 

February 14, 2006, 1:30 pm CST

This is Ashley from the show

Quote From: wuviee

I'm laughing right along with you. I have two sons and used to live in fear they could 

drag home one of these self centered snots I'd have to call a daughter in law. 

I'll relax with a great big sigh, though, as I feel confident I've raised great 

boys with a normal sense of what a good woman truly is. 

These girls may never 'get it' because it appears the shallow goes all the way to the bone. 

I can understand how you may perceive us to be "self centered snots" and "shallow." We all went on the show because we know that this is not the way to go about dating and were hoping to learn something from that. I don't like the way this made us look because we are all successful, fun, intelligent and beautiful women (I don't mean just on the outside but inside as well.) Unfortunately, the only thing you got to see was our flaws, but I guarantee you if you asked anyone that met us on the show or in life, they would tell you that we have a lot going for us. Everyone of the girls on this show has had their heartbroken and has learned how to take care of themselves. I know that looks aren't everything and am learning from this experience by broadening my outlook on dating. We all know how difficult dating can be and it doesn't matter if you are in your 20's or 60's (it's just different in every age.) I am looking for a good guy that is honest, educated, kind-hearted and as secure with himself as I am with myself (still must love my dog and I don't care if he has a cat- hahaha!) I do have certain standards but shouldn't everyone. And for the comment that my mom should be embarrassed that I am her daughter. My mom couldn't be prouder because I admitted that I am not perfect and I have issues with dating ON NATIONAL TELEVISION!  

I will say that this was one of the best experiences of my life and I thank Dr. Phil and his staff for allowing me to participate. I met the best group of guys and girls and I know we will all be friends for life! I miss everyone so much! 

January and Kim- thank you for taking the beating with me. I know what wonderful people you are and anyone that truly knows us will agree with me. 

Remember that we filmed for 3 days straight and all anyone saw was about 15 minutes. So be careful judging other people on what you see on TV.  

Thanks for watching! 

P.S. My boyfriend's moms always love me! 

February 14, 2006, 1:39 pm CST

Good man here.... and some comments...

Well here I am, just your average fifty-two year old decorated ex-cop, corporate business owner and published biker-poet, and I haven't found the love of my life.  That's even sadder, since I own my own home from which I run two internet businesses - so I have have lots of time to share with someone in a relationship.

I agree with many of the posters that some of the women  on your show were astoundingly self-centered and unable to grasp the potential for love in the men they were spending time with.
It is one thing not to suffer fools gladly - on the other hand, it's foolish to refuse to investigate men who are not 'perfect 10s'. As the old saying goes..."I am not perfect... but parts of me are excellent!"

February 14, 2006, 1:41 pm CST

I have to turn men away

I am 56, have osteo arth, and am overweight. I am a self-actualized woman and definitely not a perfect 10, not even close. I am in a polyamorous relationship so do not "need" any more men in my life, but I have to almost turn them away at the door: ages 18 and over. I feel sorry for all of those plastic people on the show today who will never "get a clue."

February 14, 2006, 1:47 pm CST

A 10 outside but a 0 inside

Quote From: nasale

No, that's not confidence it's arrogance! You are missing a LOT with your shallow attitude. My son WAS married to a twit that thought she was 'all that' (Operative word WAS)  The outer hull gets old real fast. If you have the personality like that you won't be with anyone long.
 Someone that rates themselves a 10 outside, should do the work required to be a 10 inside

February 14, 2006, 1:48 pm CST

REALITY CHECK

Quote From: jansdragon

C'mon Dr Phil catering to the younger singles is not giving your viewers the best cross section of what it is like to date at various ages.  I am going to be 54 next b'day and I have had one date in the last 5 years.  The dating rules have changed considerably since you and I were in the "single" mode.  Why not profile single people who are single again after a lengthy relationship is no more either through death or divorce.  Watching "love triangles" though entertaining is not information that I need nor want. So how about stepping up to the plate and including us older ones in your "experiment of love"

I certainly concur with noted comments from a mature female who has difficulty meeting equals. 

Viewing the immaturity and 'trophy' mentality of the immature female guests is not mainstream 

America and does not represent a broad base that is in their 30-50's who are single, divorced 

or widowed.  That group has sincere voids in establishing relationships with their careers and 

personal commitments. 

I am 56 , run and swim everyday with a vivrant career in retail management, but do not date 

or have any relationships with the opposite sex.   I have no desire to be in the bars/nighclubs 

scene.  I feel I am professional, educated, well-spoken, and moderately handsome.... but  

I attract zero females.   Where is the 'target rich enviornment'  you speak of Dr. Phil? 

February 14, 2006, 1:50 pm CST

A wise man

Quote From: bearpause

Well here I am, just your average fifty-two year old decorated ex-cop, corporate business owner and published biker-poet, and I haven't found the love of my life.  That's even sadder, since I own my own home from which I run two internet businesses - so I have have lots of time to share with someone in a relationship.

I agree with many of the posters that some of the women  on your show were astoundingly self-centered and unable to grasp the potential for love in the men they were spending time with.
It is one thing not to suffer fools gladly - on the other hand, it's foolish to refuse to investigate men who are not 'perfect 10s'. As the old saying goes..."I am not perfect... but parts of me are excellent!"
 You sound like a wise man and I hope someone who really deserves you finds you. I find my "perfect 10's" as wonderful, thoughtful human beings when I'm not looking. Previously, it seemed that the harder I looked, the worse the pickings. Living a happy life is the best way to find that special someone.

February 14, 2006, 2:09 pm CST

02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Quote From: ladybug11

hello!!   well    i am 32  and still  have not found anyone yet.   its hard to find a good man.      i   am a christian  and i don't  drink,go to  bars or clubs!  i don't  care for partying.  its not for me.   i  don't like to be around  people that drink and get wasted.    they  act like jack***     also   they  act so inmuture.   i  tried  bars and clubs when i was in my 20's.   i hated it.        also   you can not find a good man at those places.  the men that go to bars and clubs  only want one thing sex.  in other words a one night stand!!!!!!!!!!!!       so when it comes to finding a man  a bar or club   is not the place too go..    so  it is hard finding a good man..     anyway   i care what jesus thinks of me  not what others think of me..

A good man is not hard to find, women just choose not to look in the right places. 

I have lots of single guy friends who are all nice guys, women simply over look them because they are labeled as nerds or geeks or boring. 

I have a good looking frined who is polite, well mannered, has a good job and is single.  Why?  Cause he's shy and he works with computers, and women immediately overlook him because he's into computers. 

Most women in my experience are VERY shallow. 

It was a pleasent surprise when I met my wife. 

February 14, 2006, 2:14 pm CST

females seeking love

Quote From: spreston

I certainly concur with noted comments from a mature female who has difficulty meeting equals. 

Viewing the immaturity and 'trophy' mentality of the immature female guests is not mainstream 

America and does not represent a broad base that is in their 30-50's who are single, divorced 

or widowed.  That group has sincere voids in establishing relationships with their careers and 

personal commitments. 

I am 56 , run and swim everyday with a vivrant career in retail management, but do not date 

or have any relationships with the opposite sex.   I have no desire to be in the bars/nighclubs 

scene.  I feel I am professional, educated, well-spoken, and moderately handsome.... but  

I attract zero females.   Where is the 'target rich enviornment'  you speak of Dr. Phil? 

While I was watching these incredibly shallow and self centreed women on the Dr Phil show I was clicking back and forth to the Olympic games and canada's womens hockey team.  

Do you think that these incredibly talented, self confident and beautiful women, who are strong and powerful, would ever be chasing love on an island. Fat chance, they are too busy chacing life and enjoying it. To the babes on the show, get a life, then maybe you will meet some real people and find the "right one"> 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last