Message Boards

Topic : 02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Number of Replies: 194
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:47:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's brutal. It's cutthroat. It's competitive. It leaves you wounded, scarred and absolutely exhausted. We're talking about LOVE! A group of frustrated singles set sail for a getaway on Catalina Island so they can learn how to start "loving smart." Three women, who admit they're very picky, agree to an experiment to see what would happen if they're unable to judge a book by its cover. With blindfolds on, they go out on dates with men who think their appearances might not measure up with what women are looking for. Will these nice guys finish last when the blindfolds are removed? Then, Dillon and Donna have been dating for two years, yet she can't get over her insane jealousy. Will she be able to get her green-eyed monster under control before it runs him off? Plus, the latest on the love triangle among Todd, Hayley and Chad, and your chance to meet these eligible singles! Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 14, 2006, 2:17 pm CST

Soul Mate

The section of the women looking for a man that fits their cookie cutter image reminded me of something I discovered when I was "single" again. If you meet someone and it feels right and comfortable right away... the reason is you've been there before! RED FLAGS!! I use to look for Chocolate Bunnies (look great on the outside but hollow in the inside), I finally started looking for the Caramel center and I found one!  

February 14, 2006, 2:21 pm CST

More from the trenches

Quote From: pcrater

These girls are not picky they are insane.  The blonde guy and the bald guy were very good looking.  I thought anyway.  I am married very happily but these women are crazy.  I cannot believe that, that January said the things she did on stage and on the Date to him.  This guy was very attractive and intelligent.  He is just not looking in the right place.  I found my husband at work.  I think my husband is very handsome and the best thing about him is he makes me laugh.   

To the Bald guy and the blonde guy:  You guys are great you have great personalities and I think you are handsome.  You don't need these girls...    Look at the grocery store and Church and maybe work.  You are to cute and intelligent to waste your time on these so called  "10"  (NOT) 

Hi everyone!  My name is Tiffany.  I was one of the girls on the show, but not a featured girl.  I am reading these messages, and honestly, I am getting a little upset.  I don't think that  any of you are realizing that this is TELEVISION.  First of all, for the people yesterday who said that we are all shallow women with no real lives, I must disagree completely.  These women have impressive careers, are intelligent, fun, and outgoing.  I for one had an amazing time getting to know all of them that weekend.  And as for the cruel comments towards January...you saw her on camera for 5 minutes...I spent an entire emotionally intensive weekend with her.  January is a sweet, wonderful woman.   By the way, again a television thing, she was JOKING when she called herself a 10, although, personally, I think she's right on!  I think that what she is dealing with is, just like she said on the show...how do you rewire your brain to be attracted to things that it just isn't.  Granted, the things that make me attracted to a man aren't nearly what hers are, but still, I must say, I understand.  You are either attracted to someone or you aren't...and getting past that can be very difficult.  I give her kudos for realizing that problem, and sincerely wanting advice on how to deal with it.   

As for the generalizing of all the girls on the show...please keep in mind, there were 17 of us there that weekend...there was over 400 hours of footage shot...what you are seeing is merely a glimplse of who we are and what we have to offer.  And in many cases, it's not at all showing the best of these women.  It was a stressful, crazy weekend, and it's difficult for anyone to maintain the upmost class and dignity in that situation.  People are human.  If someone had a video camera on you for a week, what little snippets could they pull out?  

Anyhow, I am really glad that I did the show.  I made friends with some of the most incredible women and men I've ever met in my life, and I am sad that you guys didn't really get to see them for what they are.     

February 14, 2006, 2:26 pm CST

sriggs

I have a single son that is 35 years old that lives in a very small town in East Texas.  It is very hard for him to meet nice women.  He has tried the typical situtations like:  church, parks, grocery stores, gyms, many hook up dates from friends and family.   He has tried the internet dating web sites, long distance relations, but so far no luck.  He would very much like to be married and have children, but is having such a difficult time finding the right person, well---any person at all.  What is a guy suppose to do in a small town?  He has a great job (Head Baseball Coach at a University), financial stable, tall, handsome, athletic, good values and morals--what's a guy suppose to do?

February 14, 2006, 2:26 pm CST

02/14 Love Smart Island, Part 2

Quote From: januarymm

Just remember That its television!!!!! 

Whats so sad is that you really believe what you are writing.  It never okay for anyone to be shallow male or female.  To suggest that it is gives us all a glimpse into your true character.  I'll continue to be hopeful that yo will learn from this experience.  No I am not lonely, my husband isn't out with some blond and I don't envy anything about you.  I am just incredibly sad for you that you can't stop and truly learn something from this experience that you were fortunate to be involved in.

February 14, 2006, 2:27 pm CST

I almost cried yesterday when I watched that show.  It meant that if you don't look like her; the hell with you.  I will never be able to find a descent guy; because guys are only interested in women like her.

February 14, 2006, 2:29 pm CST

Run Dillon, run!

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I think Donna has some serious self-esteem issues. Dillon should get a major award for putting up with her insanity for so long. I can't understand why he's still with her. I couldn't even stand to watch the short segment on her where she freaked out continually the time! 

Run Dillon, run....indeed! 

February 14, 2006, 2:47 pm CST

Was it just me......

Or did Donna and Dillan act like they were in Junior High School. 

Believe it or not Donna, Dillan will have to talk to women for the rest of his life. Rightly so, he did share personal information that should have been kept private.......but come on, anything he said you found a problem with. 

Both of you need to grow up!! 

February 14, 2006, 2:52 pm CST

Quote From: thebeeb1

Dr. Phil, where do you find these superficial/selfish people? 
AMEN!!

February 14, 2006, 2:52 pm CST

I think Marty is ADORABLE & people need to lay off the girls who had the guts to be honest

First off...Marty was a great guy and I would have loved to have been led around by him blindfolded all day.  Once the blindfold was off I would have been thrilled...but that's me...don't crucify January because she had a different reaction.   

REMEMBER folks, it's TV and highly edited.  I'm sure January had a lot of pleasant things to say about Marty too, they probably just ended up on the editing room floor (so to speak).  For these women to go on national TV and be honest about their faults in search of help was brave - they knew what they were getting into and how they would be portrayed yet they were honest and laid it out there.   

It's difficult to believe that they are so unusual - these women just had the courage to go on TV and be honest about it.  We all have qualities we're looking for, don't we?  It's natural to be physically attracted to some and not others.  I think most of us just don't come out and say we're not attracted to someone...instead we use the key phrases, I just want to be friends, we have different interests, I'm not looking for a relationship right now, and the dreaded it's not you it's me, etc.   

Cut these ladies some slack...most of us have qualities we're looking for and attracted to...I think it's pretty great they had the nerve to admit to it on national TV. 

Best of luck to you ladies!!! 

February 14, 2006, 2:53 pm CST

What about the "Oldies" but Goodies

I agree with a few of the messages posted here that you have missed the boat with only the younger women.  There are many older women out there that would love to have the chance to find love, perhaps once or again!!!  What's wrong with us?  I think we deserve equal time with advice that will help us fulfill our dreams before it's too late.  I'm 67, a caregiver for my folks, but still have time to share with someone who would be willing to understand what I'm about.  Where is he??

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last