Message Boards

Topic : 08/08 Cheaters

Number of Replies: 911
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 24, 2006, 11:27:05 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 03/01/06) What can you do if your spouse has a cheating heart? Rick’s wife, Kandice, cheated on him less than a year ago, and he suspects she's at it again. Is Rick just being paranoid, or is Kandice not telling the whole truth? Find out when Dr. Phil reveals what he caught on camera. Then, Arianna thought she had it all: a wonderful husband, two beautiful kids and a happy marriage ... until recently when the ugly truth came out in a shocking way. How did she find out about her husband's philandering? Can he learn to be faithful? Dr. Phil has strong words to set him straight. With a dark cloud of lies, deceit and infidelity hanging over a relationship, can you ever trust a cheater again? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 24, 2006, 12:31 pm CST

infidelity

Shows about cheaters are always interesting, especially when Dr. Phil gives the cheater some tough love. 

I bet $10 that Dr. Phil will say that stastistic about how "relationships that started out as affairs have a less than 10% (or is it 5%) chance of surviving because this relationship is based on deceit and has no moral foundation" 

February 25, 2006, 1:57 pm CST

The hard way

I recently found suspicious evidence that my husband of 22 years may be cheating.... again. He moved out of our bedroom in December into the spare room, but wouldn't say why. He's been verbally abusive since last summer and I couldn't take it any more so I left to stay with friends in Dalls for two weeks after Christmas. He called every day I was away with our daughter. Go figure.The credit card bills showed parking fees at the airport and a seafood restaurant charge on Valentine's Day. He gave me nothing for Valentine's day, just wished me a happy one. The evidence I found was on the passenger side floor of my car that he's been using to drive to work. It was a small red satin heart with "I love you" on it. Neither my daughter or I had been in the car all week since Valentine's Day. It was as much as finding a love letter in his shirt pocket the way I found out about the other affair. Previously, he had conducted a cybersex affair that included phone sex with a married woman he'd met through work. He swore up and down he'd go to counselling and try hard to be a family, but we didn't finish counselling and we never learned why he conducted his affairs online in the first place. Obviously, that continues to be his problem. Now, he's been verbally abusive, angers easily and tries to blame and call me names as if he's trying to justify his infidelity. I've got his number, though. I'm so crushed that he changed so radically after the birth of our daughter 14 years ago that I hardly know this is the man I married. Although I have that image in my mind and love it, I realise now, he's not that person any more. I doubt very much that he'll get over his denial and face who and what he really is. I'm feeling the loss intensely now but I hope I can get over it so I can move on with my life. All advice on how to do that is welcome!

February 25, 2006, 5:00 pm CST

Cheaters never realize how much hurt they cause.

Cheaters are greedy people who just care about themselves and making themselves feel good. So when you tell them how hurt you are, they only pretend to care so that way they can keep you and still play their game. They don't care that you will never be able to trust again, even if the new person deserves to be trusted. They don't care if you get a disease from their activities, they only care that they have it. They don't care that you are eaten up inside. They don't care that the children will suffer too, and they won't be able to trust either. To remain faithful in a relationship, you have to have LOVE for the other person, RESPECT for the other person, and SELF CONTROL. If you truly love the other person and respect them, there is no way you could ever cheat.

February 26, 2006, 3:20 pm CST

SIMPLE

Dealing with cheating is simple as far as I'm concerned.  No turning back, no negotiating, nothing.  I do not believe cheating can be reconciled, and I would end my relationship immediately if there was infidelity (as I have in the past).  Its not up for discussion, and I don't understand how people can feel otherwise. I could never allow a cheater to lay a hand on me ever again. I would be interested in hearing an opinion on the subject that differs from mine- unless its to tell me some "for the sake of the children" story.  I would never want to set an example for my children that infidelity is acceptable.  I think having children is MORE of a reason to split up if there is infidelity- show them how unacceptable it really is.

February 26, 2006, 3:22 pm CST

Say Bye

Quote From: trooperbug

I recently found suspicious evidence that my husband of 22 years may be cheating.... again. He moved out of our bedroom in December into the spare room, but wouldn't say why. He's been verbally abusive since last summer and I couldn't take it any more so I left to stay with friends in Dalls for two weeks after Christmas. He called every day I was away with our daughter. Go figure.The credit card bills showed parking fees at the airport and a seafood restaurant charge on Valentine's Day. He gave me nothing for Valentine's day, just wished me a happy one. The evidence I found was on the passenger side floor of my car that he's been using to drive to work. It was a small red satin heart with "I love you" on it. Neither my daughter or I had been in the car all week since Valentine's Day. It was as much as finding a love letter in his shirt pocket the way I found out about the other affair. Previously, he had conducted a cybersex affair that included phone sex with a married woman he'd met through work. He swore up and down he'd go to counselling and try hard to be a family, but we didn't finish counselling and we never learned why he conducted his affairs online in the first place. Obviously, that continues to be his problem. Now, he's been verbally abusive, angers easily and tries to blame and call me names as if he's trying to justify his infidelity. I've got his number, though. I'm so crushed that he changed so radically after the birth of our daughter 14 years ago that I hardly know this is the man I married. Although I have that image in my mind and love it, I realise now, he's not that person any more. I doubt very much that he'll get over his denial and face who and what he really is. I'm feeling the loss intensely now but I hope I can get over it so I can move on with my life. All advice on how to do that is welcome!
 Say bye... what's to contemplate?  See my post entiteld "SIMPLE"

February 26, 2006, 5:49 pm CST

well, it's not that simple

Quote From: dewaele

Dealing with cheating is simple as far as I'm concerned.  No turning back, no negotiating, nothing.  I do not believe cheating can be reconciled, and I would end my relationship immediately if there was infidelity (as I have in the past).  Its not up for discussion, and I don't understand how people can feel otherwise. I could never allow a cheater to lay a hand on me ever again. I would be interested in hearing an opinion on the subject that differs from mine- unless its to tell me some "for the sake of the children" story.  I would never want to set an example for my children that infidelity is acceptable.  I think having children is MORE of a reason to split up if there is infidelity- show them how unacceptable it really is.
It's not that easy if you have years of happy memories with your Significant Other, especially if they get down on their hands and knees and beg and say that they can change.  It's hard to turn your back on someone that you donated years of your life to and just walk away.

February 26, 2006, 6:42 pm CST

Low self-esteem = cheaters

Quote From: artanis000

Cheaters are greedy people who just care about themselves and making themselves feel good. So when you tell them how hurt you are, they only pretend to care so that way they can keep you and still play their game. They don't care that you will never be able to trust again, even if the new person deserves to be trusted. They don't care if you get a disease from their activities, they only care that they have it. They don't care that you are eaten up inside. They don't care that the children will suffer too, and they won't be able to trust either. To remain faithful in a relationship, you have to have LOVE for the other person, RESPECT for the other person, and SELF CONTROL. If you truly love the other person and respect them, there is no way you could ever cheat.
I wish I could say my husband doesn't care about our daughter. He is in over-compensation mode. She told me that she thinks he's gone way over the top in being "so mushy." She finds it false because she doesn't see anything being lavished on me. I agree that to be faithful in a relationship, you have to put the emphasis on the other person. However, I think that's incredibly difficult in a person with low self-esteem when they can never get enough love because they're so empty of love of themselves. My husband seems to be borderline in this respect, veering from self-doubt to being confident in himself. The only thing he seems to have decided now is that the best way to deal with his negative feelings about me is to withdraw, live his life separately in the spare bedroom, wait until "I" change, then decide to get closer. He says this situation happened because I withdrew from him for years and his resentment shows. It's my responsibility to say I did and with the proviso that his stresssed out anger caused me to be fearful and go out to work in order to escape his anger that was targeted right at me. There is a gulf of misinterpretation on both our parts and I don't know how to breach it, especially since he refuses any more counselling. The last time we went, he felt the counsellor was being hard on him, trying to get at his shortcomings only. (Might it be - because he chose to cheat??! Duh!) Anyway, I'm reading Dr. Phil's book, "Life Strategies" and doing a lot of hard self-examination. Maybe my position will change and I'll recover the me that was lost in the aftermath of my husband's infidelities.

February 27, 2006, 4:05 pm CST

Judgement......

Hi all- 

I'm new to the boards.  I've been married for 17 years; have 2 sons who are the loves of my life.  Once I had my sons, my husband seemed to stop being attracted to me; although he still seems interested in fulfilling his needs regularly (wow, this is so honest!).  I'm an attractive woman, in early 40's - I work out; am a size 6/8 (depending upon the week); and a business woman in a larger metro city. 

In all of my years of marriage; I have never been remotely attracted to anyone; when approached by a man; it just doesn't "happen" for me - I think of my family; my children; and usually, I just have the "I'm Married" wall all around me. 

In fact, I was always VERY quick to judge my friends who did this...... 

......until December. 

After a work meeting at a restaurant; I lingered for a moment after the meeting was over; just wanted a few moments to myself where I wasn't "giving" to my job; my home; my family; my husband.  It was selfish, but just needed a minute to think.  I was about to pay the bill & leave, when a man asked if he could sit at my table.  Again in all my years of marriage I have never allowed this......until this night. 

He had a brilliant smile; was very interesting looking; and I said ok.  He is 15 years older than me.  And married....... 

Bad move. 

So, just 2 months ago, I had this "affair of the heart".  He's married.  I'm married.  I have a husband who has become like my brother; and 2 children who would never forgive me.  I got out of this relationship VERY quickly, but my heart is still there.  Am I "once a cheater always a cheater"???  I don't know.  But what I do know now, is that I certainly am not coming from the judgement seat any more.  I am in counseling, and I feel so badly that I cannot tell my husband this.  Being honest with myself; I love how the "guy" made me feel.  I had lost myself in the day to day life of motherhood; corporate world; pta meetings, and appeasing my husband on nights he is "ready to go"...... 

Did I know it was a problem?  Deep inside, yes, but I figured it would pass as time went on, and my husband & I would find each other again.  But it didn't hit me until this guy held my hand that night, then leaned in to kiss me.  And I let him kiss me.  My husband would be sooooo hurt.  I feel so terribly.  I thought part of me had died - the part that "felt" these things.  Truly, and I thought it was normal that this just dies when you have children.  But I learned that night it didn't. 

I haven't told my husband, or anyone until now about this, except my new therapist (and now all of you).  I miss the way this "guy" made me feel; but I know he is not someone I want to be with.  I'm scared by my feelings; but in every way, feel that I am just as selfish & guilty.   

I don't know what to do.  I'm hoping the show on Wednesday will help....... I will be at work, but will check the website that night to see what happened. 

Sorry to enter the boards on such a disruptive note; but I'm certain I'm not alone in my feelings; and I really don't know what to do..... 

I guess for me, the bottom line is that in my entire life; I lived in judgement of others who did exactly what I did that night.  Now I'm the one being "judged".  I'm deeply humbled, my heart is a bit broken, and now I feel that I have this deep dark secret in there that my mind won't forget. 

Thanks for e-listening. I'm open to your thoughts- 

February 28, 2006, 6:41 am CST

cheating

I found out that my husband was cheating on me in August. We have been together for 7 years and have 1 child and one on the way. I am finding it hard to trust him and can't help wondering if he is going to do it again.  The girl that I busted him with worked at the local walmart and I also found out that he had a one night fling with a much older woman. As far as I know it was one night. The walmart one lasted for a couple of weeks before I found out. The thing is that after I decided that I would try to work this out I think he had another night with the walmart girl. All the signs add up but I can't prove it like I could before. He swears that he wasn't and I am not sure if I am paranoid now or he really did it again. It has been 5 months so far with out incident and hopefully there will not be any others. Am I crazy for trying this again? Any advice will help.

February 28, 2006, 9:48 am CST

03/01 Cheaters

Quote From: nicegirl28

I found out that my husband was cheating on me in August. We have been together for 7 years and have 1 child and one on the way. I am finding it hard to trust him and can't help wondering if he is going to do it again.  The girl that I busted him with worked at the local walmart and I also found out that he had a one night fling with a much older woman. As far as I know it was one night. The walmart one lasted for a couple of weeks before I found out. The thing is that after I decided that I would try to work this out I think he had another night with the walmart girl. All the signs add up but I can't prove it like I could before. He swears that he wasn't and I am not sure if I am paranoid now or he really did it again. It has been 5 months so far with out incident and hopefully there will not be any others. Am I crazy for trying this again? Any advice will help.
Naw, you not carzy for trying again.  go withyour heart.  if you think he is not That is good.  Always trust your heart, but don't let it interfere with your intuition.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last