Message Boards

Topic : 08/01 Extreme Highs and Lows

Number of Replies: 1257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:43:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 03/07/06) Dr. Phil explores the ups and downs of bipolar disorder. This illness takes its victims on an emotional rollercoaster ride -- from elation to extreme irritability, intense rage, or devastating depression. First, Cathy was diagnosed with Bipolar II, 10 years ago and claims she goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds. Dr. Phil takes a look at the toll her disorder takes on her two boys, and brings the family together for a dramatic moment of emotional healing. Then, during various manic episodes, Fred has stolen a taxi, crashed into a Starbucks, and climbed to the top of a church. He hears voices and believes that movie stars like Denzel Washington and Robert De Niro are talking to him through their movies. Still, Fred thinks he’s ready to move out of his parents’ house and live on his own for good … but should his family let him? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 4, 2006, 5:50 am CST

Extreme Highs and Lows

There is NOTHING worse than being BiPolar, except BiPolarII.  I have been diagnosed as BiPolar II, and it is a HORRIBLE disease to try and live with!  My youngest daughter was diagnosed at 13,  before I was-and I went thru a living HELL with her.  In and out of hospitals; every other day taking her to counselors; twice a week taking her to phyciatrists; holding her and loving her with all I had when the voice of "Weird Al Yankovich" took over her head!  The first time she was hospitalized, they diagnosed her as phscofrenic-that scared me to death.  Then the second time she was hospitalized, they said no-she was just suffering from depression; then finally, we got a wonderful Dr. that came from the Queens in NYC and believe me; she had seen everything!!!!  She said absoulutly NOT; both of the diagnosis given to my daughter was wrong-and the 12 pills they had her on a day had to stop.  By this time, she had stopped going to school because all the kids in school had found out she had been hospitalized in the Mental Behavior Hospital, and they were all making fun of her, and calling her names-even her so called 'friends'!  This Dr. put her back in the hospital one day, after we (my daughter & I) were shopping and she snapped, and lodged herself between 2 pop machines outside the store, and was yelling at people to help her that I beat her!!  After about 3 minutes, she snapped out of it, and wondered what she was doing  inbetween the pop machines and came out and got in the car.  She was totally exhausted, and I had contacted the Dr and they said bring her straight to the hospital for a direct admit.  On this admit, she was combative.  But, this Dr diagnosed her as BiPolar II; with extreme depression-ADD; and extreme anxiety disorder.  At that point, her concentration time was 6 minutes.  This school district in North East, approximately 10miles east of Erie PA, that she was attending told me they could not do anything for her; they were not equipped to handle a child with her problems; so we had to move.  When we moved to Jamestown NY, she still could not go back to school, as she was deathly afraid of all the new kids.  When we went into the school to register her, you could literally see her chest shaking.  I home schooled her until she turned 16; then she gave it up-as much as I begged her; her faith in herself was completely shot.  And the worst part was; she was an A-B student!!!
After that, about a year later-I had a nervous breakdown.  My family Dr immediately sent me into counseling and that was 6 years ago.  I am still in counseling; and seeing a Dr once a month.  I am also BiPolar II; with extreme anxiety disorder; and extreme agoraphobia.  It is living hell!  I can be sitting there fine; and all of a sudden, something washes over me, and I just want to throw something-wreck anything I can get my hands on!!  And I can't understand why this happens; I am on 5 different physic meds-but it doesn't completely take care of everything.  All I know is it would be much worse if I was not on my meds!!  There are chips out of my tiles in my kitchen where I have thrown cups; chips off my wall where I have thrown things; holes in my doors where my daughter and I have punched them.  And Lord help us; it's nothing that at the time, we can control!!  The feelings go away after a few minutes-but during those few minutes a living hell!!  There are times I just feel like giving up; stop taking all these meds I'm on; and just let go; I CAN NOT STAND LIVING WITH THIS MENTAL ILLNESS ANYMORE!!!!
I would like your help if at all possible.  I'm sure there are MANY people out there much worse off than me, and God knows my heart goes out to them, but I honestly can see how some people just end it all!!!!  It gets to that point in my feelings alot lately.
Thank you for your time; and please; have a nice day.  And again, thank you for listening to me!

heren44@hotmail.com  
hchilds@stny.rr.com
heebee44@yahoo.com

March 4, 2006, 7:54 am CST

Bi-Polar

Is Bi-Polar hereditary? We can trace it back several generations in the family. 

March 4, 2006, 8:01 pm CST

Characterization of Bipolar Illness

Cathy goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds? I sincerely hope that the Dr. Phil show does not sensationalize this illness on national television. First of all, the term "psycho" is pejorative. To your average viewer that means out-of-control angry and violent. To be responsible, Dr. Phil must explain psychosis in a way that dispels the notion that we are violent and dangerous to others. Otherwise he runs the risk of making people fear us. 

This is a serious disorder, but it has been my experience as someone with the classic form, bipolar disorder I, that it manifests itself in altogether different way for many of us. I exhibited a great deal of delusional thinking and behavior when I was manic and sometimes when I was severely depressed. I saw secret meaning in movies, songs, books and other external media. I thought The Today Show was being produced specifically for my benefit and that Katie and Matt were speaking directly to me. I thought a lot of peculiar things. But I was never "psycho." Most of my fantasies were just in my head and were harmless to everyone but me. I think terms like "psycho" and "crazy" are going to upset a lot of bipolar people watching your show if that is what takes place. 

Are these people taking medication? Your show needs to touch on the difficulties of bipolar people who take their medication...not just those who don't. What about our prospects for love and acceptance? I don't know, I haven't watched the show yet, so I will reserve the rest of my comments for later, but I just hope so much that the illness will be characterized accurately. The Dr. Phil Show goes out to so many people and just sensationalizing the illness could do more harm then good in the way we are perceived. 

I will write more when I've actually watched the show. 

March 5, 2006, 8:04 am CST

response

Quote From: lampliter

My understnding is that there are several genes associated with Bipolar Disorder.  The more of these genes that you have, the more chance you have of becoming Bipolar.  Additionally, genes 

are just part of the equation.  Having any number of these genes can make a person more 

suseptable to the disease, but life events, especially trauma and stress can be the catalist 

turns a few burning embers into a full blown blazing fire. 

If you are related to a Bipolar person it is imperative that take care of yourself physically and 

emotionally.  This means eating right, sleeping enough, stress reduction techniques, leading 

a low key, low demand lifestyle. 

March 5, 2006, 8:30 am CST

Financial challenges of mental illness

I hope that Dr Phil addresses the financial burden associated with a mental illness.  Even though I 

am insured, there is still a problem with parity in insurance.  Most insurance pays for only a very 

small portion of treatment, especially if you don't  choose a therapist in their network.  I have been 

to plenty of therapists and phychaitrists.  It is in my best interest to see the person who is the most 

effective in treating me, as apposed to someone in the network who isn't as effective. 

Most of us with mental illness require several medications.  These medications are not cheap. 

Bewteen my therapy, my medications, my phychiatrist, I spend a small fortune just to get well and 

stay well.  If I have to choose , how to I determine what to give up; should a skip a few weeks of 

therapy or give up one of my medications. 

I didn't ask for this disease, I didin't get it because of a character flaw or because I did something wrong or bad.  I have the misfortune of  bad genes and a phathological childhood; neither of 

which is my fault. 

I am committed to healing myself and my children.  My 15 year old daughter is suffering from 

depression.  She is on medication and in therapy.  I have passed on my flawed genes and 

disfunctional behavior just as it was passed on to me.  It stops here and it stops now. 

My parents ignored my problems/issues. I will not do this.  My children and I deserve better. 

We deserve to live a life where our gifts can be nourchured and  our souls can shine. We deserve 

to live a life free of depression so deep it steals away your spirit and mania that steals your mind. 

I have been handed this HORRIBLE situation and I have passed it on to the people I love the most. 

I am trying so hard to heal us and treat us but the cost of this makes it very difficult and adds  

substantial stress. 

March 5, 2006, 9:03 am CST

I have a 6 year old Bi Polar son and it's so hard

I was thrilled to see this topic on the show, and knowing Dr. Phil,  he won't sensastionalize the disorder.   I have been living with this my whole life, my older brother was Bi Polar and ultimately ended his life at the young age of 28.  When my son was diagnosed, by a very trained, highly specialized pyschiatrist almost 2 years ago, I had to become my son's best advocate and learn eveyrthing and more about this disorder in younger children.  I wish Dr. Phil would also show younger people living with bipolar and the effects on the entire family.   

With my son, everyday is a rollercoaster. He has called 911 on his oldest brother for changing the TV station, he has told me I was going to burn in hell, threatened to harm himself and others.  During his Manic periods, the stress level in our home increase aobut 100%.  Our medical expesese are through the roof (and that's just was our HMO won't pay)  

He was admitted to a children's behavioral center last summer (one of the youngest they've seen), but still every day is a challange. He has a very hard time in school.  He sees a psychiatrist, two psychologists and is on meds.  Without the  meds, life in our home is an utter nightmare.   

My son, has co curring disorders, along with Bi Polar he is also ADHD, which makes for even more challages.  I would not wish this problem on anyone and hope that with educating the public and educators (our school still doesn't "GET IT", they still, after 7 months think he is only ADHD with some "behaviour" problems" even though I've printed out documents from the BiPolar Kids web page for the school!).  It's so unfair not only the person who has to live with this disorder but to their families who  have to deal with ignorance about it on a daily basis.  I had the unfortunate experience last spring of having a mother (whom I thought was a good friend ) report me to CPS about my son, she told the case worker it was munchusin sydrome by proxy and I was pursposely  making my son ill.....what a load of crap.  She has to this day, not apologized for what she did, for the hell she put not just my son, but my other two children, my husband and I through.  The case worker saw all my documentation and the records I keep on all my son's doctor appointments, his meds, and all that, and dismissed the case, but the fall out was horrendous. 

I am hoping with Dr. Phil's show some of the stimga wiill be removed from this disorder.   

Thanks for "listening"  

And keep up the good work Dr. Phil!  I was in the audience on Feb. 23 and loved it!   

Mommy to a bipolar 6 year old, Victoria 

March 5, 2006, 9:06 am CST

Yes....

Quote From: lampliter

Bi Polar can be hereditary. 

My 6 year old has it (sadly), but my older brother had it (it went undiagnosed for many year, because he snowed everyone about it) Sadly he ended his life 12 years ago at the age of 18.  On my husbands side his cousin suffers from bi polar disorder  and they are pretty sure his paternal grandmother had it also. 

Good luck with your family 

Victoria 

March 5, 2006, 9:20 am CST

Sorry you have this disorder...

Quote From: domerdude

Cathy goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds? I sincerely hope that the Dr. Phil show does not sensationalize this illness on national television. First of all, the term "psycho" is pejorative. To your average viewer that means out-of-control angry and violent. To be responsible, Dr. Phil must explain psychosis in a way that dispels the notion that we are violent and dangerous to others. Otherwise he runs the risk of making people fear us. 

This is a serious disorder, but it has been my experience as someone with the classic form, bipolar disorder I, that it manifests itself in altogether different way for many of us. I exhibited a great deal of delusional thinking and behavior when I was manic and sometimes when I was severely depressed. I saw secret meaning in movies, songs, books and other external media. I thought The Today Show was being produced specifically for my benefit and that Katie and Matt were speaking directly to me. I thought a lot of peculiar things. But I was never "psycho." Most of my fantasies were just in my head and were harmless to everyone but me. I think terms like "psycho" and "crazy" are going to upset a lot of bipolar people watching your show if that is what takes place. 

Are these people taking medication? Your show needs to touch on the difficulties of bipolar people who take their medication...not just those who don't. What about our prospects for love and acceptance? I don't know, I haven't watched the show yet, so I will reserve the rest of my comments for later, but I just hope so much that the illness will be characterized accurately. The Dr. Phil Show goes out to so many people and just sensationalizing the illness could do more harm then good in the way we are perceived. 

I will write more when I've actually watched the show. 

My son who is 6 has it and was diagnosed 2 years ago.  And he can go from perfectly fine to, well I don't like the word "Psycho" either, but exhibiting very disturbing behavior like the switch of  a lightbulb, he has had very delusional behavior and it just breaks my heart.  He is on some "antipsychotic" meds right now that help even out his highs and lows better than the Lithium did, so while the term is not really accurate, at my house some days it seems like it!  Not to make light of this disorder, believe me, I've spent the better part of 19 month reading almost every book I can on childhood bi polar and just bi polar in general, as a mother I have to be my son's voice best advocate.  One his really bad, highly manic days, he can seem to others (who don't understand what bipolar is, or who are just plain ignorant and don't believe it can happen in kids that young) he may seem "psychotic". Hopefully the preview is not actually Dr. Phil speaking, but just part of the video clip..... from the shows I 've watched since the beginning, Dr. Phil doesn't seem one sensationalize or trivialize anyone with a mood disorder or any other type of illness.   

I wish you luck on your journey.  If you can offer any advice to this lost mom for dealing with  my son, I would be eteranally gratefuly!  Oh, my son also has co curring ADHD, which makes it even more of a challange... but I digress....  He sees a very good psychiatrist, who prior to moving to this area, headed up the Harvard Children's Mental Health Facilty, he also has a degree in Pharmacology, so I trust him with the medications he recommends, I also have a child psychologist and an educational pyshologist for my son.  (along with about 15 books for me!)   

Take care, and we'll "chat" after the show! 

Victoria 

March 5, 2006, 10:32 am CST

03/07 Extreme Highs and Lows

I was diagnosed with bipolar last year of May,  and I've been taken medication for almost a year, and it's finally starting to work.  The medications are helping me so much and I don't have those mood swings like I use to. The medication I'm on are Trileptal  has harly side effects, and it's a new safe drug and don't even put weight on you. Remember this medication is not for everyone, it takes a long time for the drug to get in your blood systom and work.  If you quit your medication whatever your on your mood swings gets worse I know I've been there too.  When I was in my late 20's I was diagnosed with bipolar and took lithium  and 6 months later I quit taking it. Thinking I don't need this anymore I feel better.  The bipolar in pretty much under control I still once in a while have my highs and lows and I know now and understand when I have them. I try to control myself and take a deep breath and try to slow down.  If your medication is work don't stop taking it!!!!   I heard on a show that Dr Phil said don't stop taking your medication if it's working for you, if we have a chemical imbalance then we need to take care of it and ourselves.  I've been so much out of control all my life and tired of feeling this way and tired of that roller coaster. How we can control that roller coaster inside is take medication and it will some of  that ups and downs, medication will not take care of all it we have to work with the medication.   

I also have boderline personality disorder, I struggle with that the most  that is one of the most severe illness to have. I'm working so hard to take of my illnesses. I was so angry when I found out I had them and now we have to take action to work on them. I have done a lot of hard work, but I still have a long ways to go.  I can relate with the RAGE inside, your up one minute the manic stage then you crash into a depression.  The medication has helped a lot,  I still struggle with the BPD illness. I'm ready to go to DBT classes for that and for a whole year. I've had rage all my life and now it's time to stop the cycle. It's so hard at times but now know what is wrong with me and now I got to do something about it.  I was in the ER last year several times and the crazy ward also wanted to die and ever morning last year I just want to wake up and just did not want to live.  I've been through so much all my life, the sexual abuse, physical abuse, drinking and drugging for years to stop the pain inside. I could not stay sober because the pain was so severe,  and the rage was so severe and I could not understand what was going on and had 50 jobs in 15 years and could not hold a job.  I get into a manic stage and rage then walk out and quit my job because I could not handle the stress and my job.  Life is not easy and with a mental illness does not help, I  see Dr Phil help so many people on the show and he is such a wonderful person. 

I have a mixture of bipolar that the worse to have  here is link to it for bipolar, I read, read and read on all my illnesses and learn as much as I can...... 

http://www.bipolarworld.net/Storm/2001/storm17.htm 

lostgirl 

March 5, 2006, 9:25 pm CST

A Reply

Quote From: missmouse

My son who is 6 has it and was diagnosed 2 years ago.  And he can go from perfectly fine to, well I don't like the word "Psycho" either, but exhibiting very disturbing behavior like the switch of  a lightbulb, he has had very delusional behavior and it just breaks my heart.  He is on some "antipsychotic" meds right now that help even out his highs and lows better than the Lithium did, so while the term is not really accurate, at my house some days it seems like it!  Not to make light of this disorder, believe me, I've spent the better part of 19 month reading almost every book I can on childhood bi polar and just bi polar in general, as a mother I have to be my son's voice best advocate.  One his really bad, highly manic days, he can seem to others (who don't understand what bipolar is, or who are just plain ignorant and don't believe it can happen in kids that young) he may seem "psychotic". Hopefully the preview is not actually Dr. Phil speaking, but just part of the video clip..... from the shows I 've watched since the beginning, Dr. Phil doesn't seem one sensationalize or trivialize anyone with a mood disorder or any other type of illness.   

I wish you luck on your journey.  If you can offer any advice to this lost mom for dealing with  my son, I would be eteranally gratefuly!  Oh, my son also has co curring ADHD, which makes it even more of a challange... but I digress....  He sees a very good psychiatrist, who prior to moving to this area, headed up the Harvard Children's Mental Health Facilty, he also has a degree in Pharmacology, so I trust him with the medications he recommends, I also have a child psychologist and an educational pyshologist for my son.  (along with about 15 books for me!)   

Take care, and we'll "chat" after the show! 

Victoria 

Hi Victoria, 

Thank you for your response. I can't imagine having this illness as a child. To have it sometimes feels like someone has the remote control to your mind and is changing the channel at a rapid rate. It happens so fast and your thoughts fragment and twist off in every direction. I can't imagine how frightening and confusing that must be for a child. 

Can he articulate to you how he is feeling? An advantage I have as an adult is I can observe the thought patterns and the different types of feelings and react, learning all the time about the illness and how to combat it. Plus I can explain it to my psychiatrist. My psychiatrist and psychologist are awesome. It's great that you have great professionals working with your son. 

I think bipolar disorder mimics ADHD for a lot of people. That's because the disorder makes it difficult to concentrate. They thought I had the same dual diagnosis for a while, but it turned out to be just the bipolar disorder. I'm not saying that your son's diagnosis isn't correct at all, I'm just saying that the two illness are similar in a way. 

I respect Dr. Phil and I don't think he would sensationalize the illness, but the intro on this site concerned me which is why I wrote what I did. It is a tremendous responsibility to do a show like this and it isn't often that the illness gets this kind of exposure. 

You take care as well and I will write a follow-up after the show. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last