Message Boards

Topic : 08/01 Extreme Highs and Lows

Number of Replies: 1257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:43:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 03/07/06) Dr. Phil explores the ups and downs of bipolar disorder. This illness takes its victims on an emotional rollercoaster ride -- from elation to extreme irritability, intense rage, or devastating depression. First, Cathy was diagnosed with Bipolar II, 10 years ago and claims she goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds. Dr. Phil takes a look at the toll her disorder takes on her two boys, and brings the family together for a dramatic moment of emotional healing. Then, during various manic episodes, Fred has stolen a taxi, crashed into a Starbucks, and climbed to the top of a church. He hears voices and believes that movie stars like Denzel Washington and Robert De Niro are talking to him through their movies. Still, Fred thinks he’s ready to move out of his parents’ house and live on his own for good … but should his family let him? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 23, 2006, 7:43 am CDT

about highs

I watched the show and was disappointed that it would show someone who is fixated on TV and then put him on TV. talk about highs. I have had bp for most of my life but didn't find out till 1993. I thought I was super mom and could do anything, till i ended up in the hospital. My history is filled with hospitalizations for all levels and symptoms of bp. I have been stable for several years and when I saw the show I was disappointed that it didn't promote more therapy as well as drugs. I felt the show didn't focus enough on how it effects the family , job ,social live and all other areas. I realize that it is a large topic and has many different areas to cover. I only hope in the future it is covered again and covers such things such as how easily a small high can turn on you and how fast depression hits and how deeply it go's. my best wishes to those of you that have this illness and I hope you receive the help you need. God Bless

August 23, 2006, 10:33 am CDT

Just a thought that came to me yesterday

Quote From: baseball

I am so glad that you don't think of death every minute of everyday. Right now that is what we are working on with my 15 yr old the last report was about every other day. Still it is very depressing. Sometime I feel like I'm not doing enough for my children cause I can't take away their pain. You pointed out that I am doing all I can by loving them unconditionally and I do. I am so glad you did not succeed in you suicide attempt and you are still here for your babies. I wish you the very best in life. You are in my prayers also.      

If someone is constantly thinking of death, I would challenge them to think of birth and to verbalize examples that come to mind.  This may work best if one goes outdoors as one may see moms with their babies in strollers, birds, fish, puppies, new green grass, water(life giving force), and most importantly sunshine.

I make this challenge as we must consciously change our negative thinking patterns into positive ones.  It requires vigilance and effort, butwith practice we can achieve greater inner peace.

Please feed the depressed only fresh, wholesome foods, limit the sugars and fats and especially the processed fast foods.  Try to eliminate the sodas with water and maybe lemon....lets try to flush out the toxins in their system....and by all means try and get them outside each day for at least ten minutes of fresh air...start slow by walking....hopefully progress to briskly walking and or God willing a run someday.  Breathing deeply is powerful.

God bless. 

August 23, 2006, 10:37 am CDT

Life will get better

Quote From: david80127

Do not accept illusions. 
I too was diagnosed at age 40, am 44 now.  I can look back and see the BP throughout my life.  It too is in my family.....my grandfather was rumored to be paranoid sz.  My 76 year old mom is probably an undiagnosed quick cycler BPII.  I agree it is frustrating that noone has the answers but we all must do the best we can each day as that is all we have.  There are no quarantees, but we can manage this pretty well,

August 23, 2006, 11:55 am CDT

your story could be mine

Quote From: jsenter

I watched the show and was disappointed that it would show someone who is fixated on TV and then put him on TV. talk about highs. I have had bp for most of my life but didn't find out till 1993. I thought I was super mom and could do anything, till i ended up in the hospital. My history is filled with hospitalizations for all levels and symptoms of bp. I have been stable for several years and when I saw the show I was disappointed that it didn't promote more therapy as well as drugs. I felt the show didn't focus enough on how it effects the family , job ,social live and all other areas. I realize that it is a large topic and has many different areas to cover. I only hope in the future it is covered again and covers such things such as how easily a small high can turn on you and how fast depression hits and how deeply it go's. my best wishes to those of you that have this illness and I hope you receive the help you need. God Bless

Wow!  Been there, done that.  Counseling, as well as meds saved my life, although it took years and years to find the right combo of meds.  I learned to turn the negative thoughts into positive.  I agree that Dr. Phil should have emphasized that counseling is key.  I was sexually abused as a child, as well as physically, emotionally, and yet I survived.

I still have mood swings, but now I can recognize the moods and cope much better.  My self esteem is out of the toilet.  I would encourage all with BP, who feel unstable, to get into counseling, and get your thoughts and your lives under control.  You can live a happy life, in spite of your illness.  (Getting the public properly educated about mental illness would be a big help too.)

August 24, 2006, 10:12 am CDT

Can you separate out any of your emotions

Do not accept illusions. 
You mentioned that you are anxious and have panic attacks.  I associate this with fear.  Is that too simple or is it accurate?  Do you know what you are fearful of?  When I was having my manic episodes, I have had four major ones in the past three years resulting in hospitalizations, my first one or two episodes had intense anxiety/pyschosis associated with it.  My fear was of dying.  Episode three and four did not have anxiety or psychosis, as I learned not to be fearful of death, that I have eternal life, thanks be to God.  Yes, my spiritual faith has deepened and grown to a point which helps me manage my BP, but I still HAVE to take my meds

August 25, 2006, 9:37 am CDT

check out Mental Health...Bipolar Board

There are a lot of people posting to the Board.  Check out under Mental Health, then go to the Bipolar board.  There are a lot of interesting stories there.  If you go back to August 17th posting, "mensan" has written a book about being bipolar.  She has given her email address, where you can get more info on ordering her book.  I'm excited to order it and read it.  There are also some good postings on the Borderline Personality Disorder board.

August 26, 2006, 4:14 pm CDT

let's hear it for the meds

You mentioned that you are anxious and have panic attacks.  I associate this with fear.  Is that too simple or is it accurate?  Do you know what you are fearful of?  When I was having my manic episodes, I have had four major ones in the past three years resulting in hospitalizations, my first one or two episodes had intense anxiety/pyschosis associated with it.  My fear was of dying.  Episode three and four did not have anxiety or psychosis, as I learned not to be fearful of death, that I have eternal life, thanks be to God.  Yes, my spiritual faith has deepened and grown to a point which helps me manage my BP, but I still HAVE to take my meds

Staying on your meds is the most important part of phych treatment.  Mental illness is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.  Medications help to get the balance of chemicals back to where it should be.  If you go off of your meds when you feel better, you are just asking for trouble.

I suffer from panic attacks...stemming from childhood abuse...fear of running short of money before running short of bills...fear of the death of a family member...bad dreams...many causes.  I have a box that I keep by my bed...it's my  "worry box".  When I start having racing thoughts, I write down what the worry is on a small piece of paper...just a few words about it.  Then, I slip the paper into the box and let the worry go.  When I have time to deal with the worries the next day, I pray to God for His wisdom and guidance, then I open the box and deal rationally with each worry and try to find solutions, or decide that I wasted a worry on something not that important, or that some things are out of my control, and I just have to trust in God to lead me on the right path and to be there when I need somebody to lean on. 

I also take meds at bedtime that calm anxiety and help me to sleep.  A well-rested mind is more likely to be able to deal with daily stressors.  I take a combination of meds for the bipolar disorder too.  Without the meds...I'd be off the deep end in a heartbeat.  Been there, done that.

August 28, 2006, 11:07 pm CDT

without meds, the light at the end of the tunnel IS a freight train

Quote From: lostmyway

Sorry folks, nothing profound to say. I just needed a safe place to vent a little, maybe rant/rave with some anonimity.  I am newly diagnosed and currently on Lithium.  I haven't seen a counselor or psychiatrist yet although I have an appointment for intake in a couple of weeks. I am so sad and so scared. I'm trying to hold it together so my children (grown) won't find out.  I am dealing with depression, but it's more than that. There is a component of frustration and anger that I keep a tight lid on. My tolerance for BS is extremely limited. I feel very sad and lonely. I'm not a young person and I am so tired of dealing with things. I've always considered myself a survivor but now I'm not so sure the effort is worth it. I've been reading about bipolar disorder and there is precious little that is engouraging. Do I want to spend the rest of my life on these #@!%& drugs with their side effects? In the past I have been treated for depression with suicidal ideations. I was hospitalized a few times but that was six years ago. My family was supportive, but they are human beings after all and I'm sure that they are sick to death of "mom's problems". To tell the truth I am sick to death of it too and now I'm Bipolar? Oh boy, I want to live with that the rest of my life. Everything in me wants to get the hell out of Dodge but if I did I'd end up just another mentally ill person on the streets and a bag lady to boot! I know I should be greatful for my blessings and I feel guilty about feeling the way I do, but, it's just so hard. Please excuse me, I feel so stupid, I'm just having a pity party - a long pity party. I'll write again when I can think of something positive to say.  Ya'll take care.

I hope you are feeling better, as it has been awhile since you posted.  You family should be your main support when you need it.  Afterall, you've been there for them all of their lives.  Your family loves you and will not get tired of taking care of "mom". 

Unmedicated Bipolar disorder is a fast train on a short track!

If you are worried about medication side effects, discuss it with your doctor.  Ask about side effects for every medication that your doctor wants to prescribe.  But, remember that everybody experiences side effects individually.  You may not have all of the side effects that the drug lists...you might not have any.  Sometimes, it is a trade-off...a few side effects in exchange for a peaceful mind.  Yes, you will need medication for the rest of your life, but you are still alive, and the meds can get you to a new level of normal.  Counseling is sooooo important too.  Counseling will give you the tools you need to cope with every day stressors.  It will help you to recognize your mood swings before they become extreme.

I have been on Bipolar meds for 10 years...I can't say it has all been a picnic, but I'm on a good combination of meds, and I take life one day at a time.

I'll pray for you.

September 2, 2006, 8:27 pm CDT

Scared, Confused, sad and Lonely

My husband was diagnosed with Bipolar in Feb. of this year.06. I need someone to help me figure all of this out.

We were had it all, building a new house, had nice cars, four great children a great marriage and our tenth aniversary was coming.

Well while we were building our house we lived in a rental.  He started acting really cranky and started calling the girls names and yelling.  I thought nothing of it I would just ask him to quit because I know how he gets when he gets stressed.  Don't get me wrong, he owns his own business and is under high stress all of the time.  We've moved every two years since we've been married and this was the second house we built together so nothing was out of the norm.

So anyway, there could have been a few things that brought this all about but thats not my problem.

Now we have a diagnosis.  He takes Serequel, clonazapam, and depakote.  Also recently put on a antidepressent which he has not started yet.

Well without his help, our house was completed but he decides in June not to move in with us.

In the beginning a saw some compasion in how he acted toward us but lately it is getting worse and worse.

We have legally seperated,  just so I could have some financial security. 

But if anyone who has this can please explain to me HOW does someone who has it all and loves his family more than anything just wake up one day and let it all go?

He's living in one of our rentals, he's bought new carpet, new appliances, TV,  Just set up a nice little place for his self.  That tells me he has no intentions on coming home soon.

His doctor keeps telling him that his feelings for us will come back when his meds are regulated but how does someone who has pushed his family so far away just wake up and love them again.

And how long does it usually take for someone to get somewhat normal again?

I love my husband and everytime I see him it is soooo hard to see the man I married but he's a stranger to me.  He really doesn't want much to do with us so do I have any hope for a future with him?

My whole life has fell down around me and I have no one who understands.  Please give me some insite on this.  I am trying so hard to keep this family together.

September 2, 2006, 9:25 pm CDT

Hope you are still looking at this!

Quote From: damon4472

My beautiful wife of 7 years, and mother of 4 kids (2,11,12,14) left me a month ago saying that she wasn't happy.  Her mother is bi-polar and paranoid schizophrenic.  She broke down when she was 27 when her father left her.  My wife is 27 currently and had a nervous breakdown about 4 years ago. She took anti-depressants for about a year and a half then stopped taking them because she said she didn't need them anymore. She was hospitalized for about 10 days and when she was in there promised her that if she ever got sick again I would never leave her.  My wife told me when we started dating that her worst fear was "ending up like my mother".  Now shes been gone for a month, she found an apartment and moved the same day.  She went the whole month without seeing the kids or even calling them.  This is my wife who a month earlier would cry when we left our baby over my parents house for 1 night to go out.  She has dropped out of college, which she had started 3 weeks before she left, she has lost three big real-estate account and she has missed so much work at her regular job that she is in danger of losing that Job.  She moved far away from any family or friends and has tapped herself financially to the point that she is broke.  She refuses to go see anybody and starts yelling at anybody who says that she needs to get help.  We have come from being broke to living a very comfortable life and it is all falling apart.  I don't know if I should file for divorce and take the kids or fight for her and see what happens.  I love my wife with all my heart and never thought this day would ever happen.  I don't know what to do.

My husband has done the same to me. My husband and I have been married 10 years this year.

We also have 4 kid (twins8, 12,16)  He has always taken anxiety pills.  It has always been under control and then some major entered his life and overnight he just woke up and said he had no feelings for me or the kids anymore.  We were building a new home at the time and when it was completed in June he did not move in with us.  He moved to one of our rentals.  We are legally seperated right now.  He has now set himself up a regular home and to me it seems he has no plans of coming back.  He says he loves us but he doesn't know why he'd give up everything.

Things seem to be getting worse and worse.  He doesn't really have anything to do with me and the kids.  The only thing I can say on the positive side is that he does still work.  He does still provide for us but It's pretty expensive running two households so I feel like I might have to start worrying soon.

Every day I worry about what my life will hold tomorrow.  It is hard to concentrate on anything else.

At first like I was in total shock.  I had to go through the whole grieving process.  Now everyday I just hope I can see a glimmer of something in his eyes.  He is a stranger to me.

If you would like to chat more let me know.  We could use the support.

Shannon

First | Prev | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | Next | Last