Message Boards

Topic : 08/01 Extreme Highs and Lows

Number of Replies: 1257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:43:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 03/07/06) Dr. Phil explores the ups and downs of bipolar disorder. This illness takes its victims on an emotional rollercoaster ride -- from elation to extreme irritability, intense rage, or devastating depression. First, Cathy was diagnosed with Bipolar II, 10 years ago and claims she goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds. Dr. Phil takes a look at the toll her disorder takes on her two boys, and brings the family together for a dramatic moment of emotional healing. Then, during various manic episodes, Fred has stolen a taxi, crashed into a Starbucks, and climbed to the top of a church. He hears voices and believes that movie stars like Denzel Washington and Robert De Niro are talking to him through their movies. Still, Fred thinks he’s ready to move out of his parents’ house and live on his own for good … but should his family let him? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 18, 2006, 12:51 pm CDT

me too

Quote From: calborn46

Just wanted to let you know that lithium was a nightmare for me.....I was on it for about a 2 years plus 2 different antidepressants one at a time and eventually a anti anxiety med.  The side effects of the Lithium were unbearable and I was offered no alternatives (I don't know if they had some of the current meds that I am on now). Lithium gave me uncontrollable diarrhea, I couldn't even go for a walk around the block. I was also so letargic I felt weak as a puppy. I eventually went off my meds and I went about 1 year with nothing, then I began to explore holistic meds and therapys but after about another year I began to rapid cycle so severly that I hospitalized myself for about 5 days and they started me on Wellbuterin. It took abou 8 weeks to get my first consultation and durig that time some of my symptoms worsened. I then saw my new doctor and he has been a godsend. The meds I am on  have very few  (if any) side effects.  He was hoping to wean me down on some of them but I am in the process of a divorce right now and it's just not realistic right now.... I know that I will HAVE to stay on my meds for the rest of my life and I don't care. It is obvious to me and those around me that I must. My husband cut all financial help to me in May and I lost my job and the past 2 weeks I went without medications it was becoming a nightmare.  I was noticing the changes  right away but  the people around me were getting very annoyed with the behaviors that I had begun to express. Normally, I sometimes check with my friends to see if some of the thoughts that go through my head are realistic or exaggerated. Without my meds the thoughts began racing so fast and I began to act an them (not violent, just kinda strange, very irritable and annoying) not dong a double check and my sentences began to become just as unfocused and racing as my mind. I had gone to a church group, my doctor (free samples) for meds but until 2 days ago I got refills and slowed down some already. i am very sensitive to changes and even though they mostly say you won't feel the effects for a few weeks, I can tell right away. I guess by reading this you can see they haven't gone away totally. Tell your doctor that you are displeased with the way your meds are working, maybe he/she will try something else. It is also within your rights to get a second or third opinion for a treatment plan from other doctors. See what they might suggest. Change doctors if you aren't completely satisfied with the way you are being treated for your disorder. My doctor is a psychiatrist AND a neurologist. This disease is neurological in origin (along with other factors). Good Luck, I think Lithium may help some, however, there are so many new drugs  out and I have found them to be better for me.

I had a similar experience with lithium.  The doctor I had at the time said that it was the irritable bowel syndrome and not the lithium, but I know the side effects of meds as soon as I start taking them, without looking at the sheet they give me when I pick up the meds.  I read the sheet anyway just so I won't worry.  I am now on Lamictal and Abilify, a good combo for me.

I have recently changed doctors because my previous doc handled a recent crisis situation badly, and because she would type what I was saying into her computer, and not really hear what I was saying at all...it was more important to her to get it all in writing.  My new doc specialized in women with Bipolar, and she has a lot of experience with women who have had complete hysterectomies, including ovary removal (like I did), and have "surgical menopause"...a fast track to hot flashes and mood swings.

I was on a drug for Bipolar a few years ago that caused me to gain 50 pounds, and the doc I had then said that if it was controlling my moods, the weight gain was a minor issue...excuse me, but it is unhealthy to be obese...my health problems increased.  (that was risperadal...not sure I spelled that right).  Then I was changed to Depakote...still caused weight gain.  Since I started on Lamictal a year ago, I have lost 50 pounds.  The weight loss has slowed becasue of recent mastectomy, hysterectomy, gallbladder removal, and breast reconstruction surgeries...still two more reconstruction surgeries to go...not thrilled about more surgery, but the alternative was to wear a rubber prosthetic breast, which with my ADHD type mind, I would probably forget to wear half the time!

Well, obviously, I talk a lot too...quite annoying to my friends at church sometimes.  Speaking of church, I sang a solo in church yesterday...my dad and his wife were visiting from Arizona, and he has always enjoyed hearing me sing.

I am fortunate to have a husband who understands me and is willing to put up with me...I put up with him too...he is on meds for depression, plus he has some other health problems.  We were made for each other.  We have to deal with 3 boys with ADHD, although the middle one, I think, has Bipolar...the doc won't diagnose it as that yet...don't know why...we are changing docs for the kids too.  It turns out that sleep disorders cause ADHD symptoms for almost half of the kids diagnosed with it.  Two of my boys have restless leg syndrome and have improved greatly since starting on Requip for that...they were waking up over 250 times a night according to the sleep study they had done.  Our oldest son has Narcolepsy (which I have), and since he went off of the Adderall for ADHD and onto Provigil for Narcolepsy, his grades at school have improved greatly...he's been on the honor roll ever since then.  It also turns out that the younger two boys have a vision problem that causes kids to get frustrated because they can only see partial words at a time, and therefore don't want to do their school work.  They have improved since we started on vision therapy with them.  We are angry with their old doctor for just putting them on ADHD meds without doing thorough testing first to see what was the root cause of their symptoms.  For our 13 year old, the ADHD meds turned him into an angry boy.  He has gained 25 pounds and has grown almost 5 inches since November, when he went off of the Adderall.

Well, now I've really "talked" your ears off...most people have probably stopped reading this note by now...sorry.  Gotta go do laundry...three boys and a husband = lots of laundry.

November 21, 2006, 1:08 am CST

Eats The Soul.

The words used by this one young girl "eats the soul" is so profound.  Her pain is from the inside out, now very exposed to everyone on the outside world.  I thank you Dr. Phil for allowing millions to see how the devastation of the child can appear so cruelly in the adult.  Addictions are the only way for many to express that pain.  Yes many will say but I had it very hard in my lifetime and didn't resort to that type of "diminishing of life" but please always remember that is you, you are not they nor they you.  Each individual is just that, unique onto themselves.  I pray that these two young girls find what both so desperately need "love of self."  It is so sad to see the mixture of pain and those that take advantage of that pain.  It takes one to the question "what kind of person is so driven by animalistic need to see the broken soul in front of them and pay them for their release without knowing this person needs release from what they do.  We read over and over again about getting drugs off the street, never happen as long as there are those that prey on the sickness of human souls.  One must know the person paying is as sick as the person giving.  The scariest part of it all is that the person willing to rob the person of the soul does not show their addiction, no neon sign flashing "I am a danger, they look as normal as the person standing next to you." 

November 29, 2006, 11:31 am CST

DOCTORS AND HOW THEY TREAT YOUR KIDS. DO THEY DO THEIR JOBS THE WAY THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO DO IT?

AFTERNOON EVERY ONE,

OUR TWO YEAR OLD DAUGHTER DIED DUE TO THE LACK OF MEDICAL ATTENTION SHE RECIEVED BY SEVERAL DOCTORS. SHE WAS BROUGHT THE HER OWN PEDITRICTIAN ON THE 15TH OD NOVEMBER BY ME.  HER DOCTOR SAID THAT SHE HAD A SINUS INFECTION AND A EAR INFECTION.  HE PUT HER ON ZITHROMAX.  THEN ON FRIDAY NOVEMBER 17TH SHE GOT THE DIARREHA REALLY BAD.  SO ON THE 18TH OF NOVEMBER I BROUGHT HER TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM FOR THE DIARREHA.

THE DOCTOR THERE TESTED HER STOOL AND SAID THAT SHE HAD C-DIFFICIL.  A BACTERIA INFECTION OF THE COLONE.  THE DOCTOR NEVER CHECKED HER BLOOD.  SHE WAS GETTING VERY WEAK AND LOSING WEIGHT.  THE DOCTOR GAVE ME MEDICINE TO GIVE HER.  SHE HAD TO BE FEED THROUGH A MIKEY FEEDING TUBE. SO ALL MEDS WENT THROUGH THERE.   THE DIARREHA WAS NOT GETTING ANY BETTER AND SHE WAS GETTING WEAKER AND WEAKER.  SO ON MONDAY THE 20TH OF NOVEMBER I BROUGHT TO THE CLINIC TO SEE HER OWN DOCTOR AND THE SAME THING AGAIN HE DID NOT CHECK HER BLOOD OR HER BLOOD PRESSURE JUST HER WEIGHT AND HER TEMPERTURE.

SENT US HOME AGAIN BUT THIS TIME WITH SOME POWDER TO HELP HER TO HAVE REGULAR STOOLS AGAIN.  WELL THAT NIGHT I ENDED UP TAKING HER BACK TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM CAUSE SHE WAS SO COLD AND HER BREATHING WAS STARTING TO GO FASTER. WHEN I GOT TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM SHE WAS NOT BREATHING. AFTER ALL THE EFFERTS OF THE DOCTORS AND THE TRANSPORT TEAM FROM SOUIX FALLS SOUTH DAKOTA THEY LOST HER SHE DIED AT 3:02 AM NOVEMBER 21ST 2006.

HER DAD AND I ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THE DOCTORS DID NOT DO BLOOD WORK ON HER TO SEE HOW HER WHITE COUNT WAS.  NOONE DID THAT.  BUT THEY TOOK HER BLOOD AFTER SHE HAD BEEN DEAD FOR A FEW HOURS. 

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY ARE WE SUPPOSE TO TRUST OUR DOCTORS?

December 2, 2006, 9:56 am CST

I need someone's opnion.

My name is Whitney. I am 17 years old. I have had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and I have had that since I was little. I have been on medication for it since I was little to which is Adderall. But yeah then sometime last month not to long ago I got diagnosed with Depression. And I started on Zoloft for it and I think it's finally starting to make me feel happier. But I don' t know. Anyway well my question is I don't get how if you have Adhd and you are suppose to be like hyper active and stuff and like annoying and stuff then how is it you can have Depression? Someone please give me there opinion if you know.

Thanks

Whitney.

December 3, 2006, 11:13 pm CST

Recommend book to know how ADHD & depression happen.

Quote From: imcool

My name is Whitney. I am 17 years old. I have had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and I have had that since I was little. I have been on medication for it since I was little to which is Adderall. But yeah then sometime last month not to long ago I got diagnosed with Depression. And I started on Zoloft for it and I think it's finally starting to make me feel happier. But I don' t know. Anyway well my question is I don't get how if you have Adhd and you are suppose to be like hyper active and stuff and like annoying and stuff then how is it you can have Depression? Someone please give me there opinion if you know.

Thanks

Whitney.

Hi Whitney

The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorderby Demitri Papolos, Janice Papolos

This book explains the differences between bipolar disorder and ADHD and how misdiagnosis is made. Particularly since you are 17 and there was a very big surge of ADHD diagnoses being made when you were little and very few people were diagnosed with bipolar.  Diagnosis of bipolar only became more prevalent in last 10 years. I am not suggesting that the symptoms of ADHD being "hyperactive and stuff" was a misdiagnosis just that in a hypomanic state of bipolar - symptoms could be similiarly difficult to control.

I have a 17 year old boy who was not diagnosed with ADHD, but was definitely hyperactive. He has had 2 episodes of depression since 14 years that were treated with medication, both were across winter months and left during spring - which is like seasonal affective disorder which is a symptom of bipolar. Post his depressive months, he behaved in a hypomanic state with increasing recklessness, invincibility and promiscuity. Bipolar is not often diagnosed during puberty as so many other factors can influence a teenager's mood stability - hormones, stress, friend troubles, and alcohol or drugs. 

I have an 18 year old who since turning 18, refuses treatment for social anxiety and depression which is so debilitating he finds it nearly impossible to leave the home and keep appointments and needless to say hold a job. He has been raised in a household that was proactive in maintaining mental health - being aware of symptoms and possible triggers and not labelling or focusing on diagnosis but on remedies to handle each factor as it arose. Unfortunately, even armed with awareness is not necessarily enough to overcome stigma of living with limitations.

Good luck and ask lots of questions but remember everyone's experiences are different.

Larissa.

December 13, 2006, 8:10 pm CST

Controlled Bi-Polar Disorder

Quote From: mustbecrazy

I had a similar experience with lithium.  The doctor I had at the time said that it was the irritable bowel syndrome and not the lithium, but I know the side effects of meds as soon as I start taking them, without looking at the sheet they give me when I pick up the meds.  I read the sheet anyway just so I won't worry.  I am now on Lamictal and Abilify, a good combo for me.

I have recently changed doctors because my previous doc handled a recent crisis situation badly, and because she would type what I was saying into her computer, and not really hear what I was saying at all...it was more important to her to get it all in writing.  My new doc specialized in women with Bipolar, and she has a lot of experience with women who have had complete hysterectomies, including ovary removal (like I did), and have "surgical menopause"...a fast track to hot flashes and mood swings.

I was on a drug for Bipolar a few years ago that caused me to gain 50 pounds, and the doc I had then said that if it was controlling my moods, the weight gain was a minor issue...excuse me, but it is unhealthy to be obese...my health problems increased.  (that was risperadal...not sure I spelled that right).  Then I was changed to Depakote...still caused weight gain.  Since I started on Lamictal a year ago, I have lost 50 pounds.  The weight loss has slowed becasue of recent mastectomy, hysterectomy, gallbladder removal, and breast reconstruction surgeries...still two more reconstruction surgeries to go...not thrilled about more surgery, but the alternative was to wear a rubber prosthetic breast, which with my ADHD type mind, I would probably forget to wear half the time!

Well, obviously, I talk a lot too...quite annoying to my friends at church sometimes.  Speaking of church, I sang a solo in church yesterday...my dad and his wife were visiting from Arizona, and he has always enjoyed hearing me sing.

I am fortunate to have a husband who understands me and is willing to put up with me...I put up with him too...he is on meds for depression, plus he has some other health problems.  We were made for each other.  We have to deal with 3 boys with ADHD, although the middle one, I think, has Bipolar...the doc won't diagnose it as that yet...don't know why...we are changing docs for the kids too.  It turns out that sleep disorders cause ADHD symptoms for almost half of the kids diagnosed with it.  Two of my boys have restless leg syndrome and have improved greatly since starting on Requip for that...they were waking up over 250 times a night according to the sleep study they had done.  Our oldest son has Narcolepsy (which I have), and since he went off of the Adderall for ADHD and onto Provigil for Narcolepsy, his grades at school have improved greatly...he's been on the honor roll ever since then.  It also turns out that the younger two boys have a vision problem that causes kids to get frustrated because they can only see partial words at a time, and therefore don't want to do their school work.  They have improved since we started on vision therapy with them.  We are angry with their old doctor for just putting them on ADHD meds without doing thorough testing first to see what was the root cause of their symptoms.  For our 13 year old, the ADHD meds turned him into an angry boy.  He has gained 25 pounds and has grown almost 5 inches since November, when he went off of the Adderall.

Well, now I've really "talked" your ears off...most people have probably stopped reading this note by now...sorry.  Gotta go do laundry...three boys and a husband = lots of laundry.

hi. this is my very first post. I'm happy to have found a place to express how grateful I am that I finally found a Doctor I could talk to, and this is not my prescribing physician. Healthcare being what it is, you pretty much have to go where you're assigned. But I found a great research doctor. I asked him if he thought I was bi-polar, because there was some debate, since I had a pretty successful life. I had a career, had finished Penn State, raised great kids, so was I bi-polar or not? I felt anxiety and bouts of depression. I went to a conference where I heard a bi-polar physican speak. Wow, a bi-polar that went to work every day, and wasn't a shut-in, depressed, person living in a mess. Then I saw Jane Pauly on a show, can't remember which one, maybe Larry King, talking about her bi-polar, and Patty Duke's son talking about his Mom's foundation and her BPD.

The good news is, BPD can be controlled. In the State of PA, there is FREE training called WRAP, the Wellness Recovery Action Plan. I highly recommend it. You document how you feel when you are well and balanced, and what your triggers and "red flags" are, so as soon as something crops up, you nip it then, without waiting for a total BPD flare up. I  have been pretty much syptom free for a while, because I make sure I take my meds, one Klonopin and one Lamictal each day, eat right, sleep through the night and sometimes after work, if I feel a little tired, I lay down and take a nap. I surround myself with happy optimistic people ( who would never even suspect I have DBD ) That helps a lot. I also try to do a least one good deed a day, this makes me feel good. If I have a day that I just feel like staying in bed for a half a day, it's o.k., I don't beat myself up about it, I just make sure that I accomplish what I need to do in the afternoon.

I have found that by having a list of things to accomplish each day (so that I stay on task each day) really helps me.  And remembering that I don't have to be perfect also helps. Just as long as I make a little progress each month, I'm pretty happy with myself. Please, if there is anyone out there that is still suffering, please know that there is hope, recovery and remission of the symptoms of BPD, but you have to want recovery and be willing to work on your recovery everyday. It is the most important thing in you life, and just take one day at a time, and pretty soon you will get better.    Please share your experience, strength and hope with others,

tikitorch@atlanticbb.net

February 6, 2007, 12:42 pm CST

Schizoprenia

I have a friend that I have known all my life.  She was always a bit flighty but ever since her divorce she has completely gone out of control.  I have offered my help on numerous occasions but she doesn't believe that she needs help.  I don't know what to do.  Her children got taken from her by children's services, she lost her job, her apt and her car.  When she got evicted, she stayed at the local mental health institution for 3 months.  While she was there, she was medicated and she believed that she was in there for malnutrition.  Since they can't force her to remain there, she left.  She has moved in with this boyfriend that has nothing to offer her but a roof over her head.  I have tried to talk to her since she left the hospital but the conversations I can't even follow.  She truly believes that people are following her, that her phone lines are tapped, and that when she sleeps people are breaking into her home to watch her and take pictures.  Now,  she thinks that my family is out to get her.  I am the only one that lives in our city, the others lives at least 2 hours away.  I have tried to talk to her because I have known her so long.  It breaks my heart to see her this way.  I truly believe that if she could get on medication she would be better.  How can I help someone that doesn't believe that she needs it?  Is there anything else I can do?  It's frustrating but I don't want to give up on my friend.  Please help!

February 11, 2007, 2:42 pm CST

I am diagnosed with Bipolar

I have struggled with depression, PTS, and learned helplessness since the 70's'.  I am so tired

Most meds have been given to me.  I now take 400 mg of Lamactil and 350 of Wellbutrin.  I am crying at very inappropriate times.  Nothing seems to help.  I just want to hide because if anyone say anything, the crying starts. 

Doc has suggested ECT and I am going several miles away for a second opinion.  Doc has also talked about vagus nerve stimulation.

I survived death of father at age two, incest (16 years) by a Baptist preacher, gay son who is HIV positive, and another son with spondyalitis and ulcerative colitis, and I had colon cancer two years ago.   I must be pretty tough but  this round of depression has lasted for about a year.  I am exhausted and need help. 

No one understands and I just want to hide!

Dr. Phil are you listening?  Any suggestions?

April 4, 2007, 11:00 am CDT

Bipolar Friendship

My best friend was diagnosed bipolar about a year-and-a-half ago, though she has had symptoms for years.) She has struggled endlessly trying to find the right medications.  She is reluctant to be completely upfront with her doctor about her symptoms and hides her suffering.  (It frustrate me, because he cannot help her if he doesn't know what's wrong.)  She also often hides her inner battles from her hubby & friends so as not to be a "burden."  She is rapid-cycling and is torn apart by turbulant ups and downs. I know that the internal battle she is facing is excruciating.

I have tried to educate myself about the disease, reading books, pamphlets and web pages.  I have tried very hard to be a support to her.  What I do not know is how to emotionally cope when she shuts me out or throws zingers at me to push me away.  When she is stable, she is wonderful...she says she loves me and could not survive without me as a friend...when she is cycling, she acts reckless, resentful, selfish, egotystical and cruel.  She uses my insecurities to push my buttons.  (I am being treated for anxiety and depression.) It's as thought she wants everyone else to hurt as badly as she is hurting.

When she is herself again, she acts as though nothing has happened without mention of the "barbs" she has thrown.  Other times she admits remembering her behaviors, but dismisses them as part of being bipolar, showing no remorse or regret, as if no one matters but her and her disease.

I love her whole-heartedly, but am feeling a bit worn-out and frustrated.  What behaviors are her's and what behaviors are cause by the disease.  Are all poor behaviors to be excused because she is bipolar?  (I feel selfish just asking that, but I am really hurting after this last verbal attack...tired of feeling like the whipping post.) 

Please help me to cope & understand.   Deep down she is truly the most wonderful person I know.  I do not want to skip out on her.  

April 10, 2007, 8:22 am CDT

bipolar

Quote From: calliemom

There is hope for Bi-polar!  I had a baby in April and in August I snapped.  I had had some ups and downs in my life but never knew what it was.  This is the worst I ever felt.  My husband and I found a great psychologist and psychiatrist to help.  I was diagnosised with Bi-polar II, ADHD (which I already knew about) and anxiety.  The Bi-polar was brought out by post-partum depression.  I am now on a few medications; abilify, lamactil, seroquel, adderall and nortriptoline.  I am doing better than ever.  I forget that I have Bi-polar most of the time.  I keep a journal to record how I am doing and that is helpful, too.  When I was diagnosised I made the decision that I would control the illness and it would not control me!  I hope that all of you are able to find the help I have found.   

As far as this disorder being hereditary, yes it is.  All of the women on my mom's side of the family have it or another disorder along the lines of it.  It is a good idea to keep an eye out for your children and look for signs of the disorder.  If you suspect it DO NOT WAIT to get help.  The longer you wait the worse it can get.   

Good luck to all! 

I have bipolar and after having my kids, I got very depressed for a long time but I didn't know I had bipolar then.  It took years later of pain and suffering to find out I had bipolar, now my daughter has biplar and is on drugs for years and lost her daughter which I'm raising and she is 16 now she has bipolar.  I would have never had kids if I had known I had bipolar, now watching my daughter and granddaughter suffer. I got bipolar from my father.

First | Prev | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | Next | Last