Message Boards

Topic : 08/01 Extreme Highs and Lows

Number of Replies: 1257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:43:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 03/07/06) Dr. Phil explores the ups and downs of bipolar disorder. This illness takes its victims on an emotional rollercoaster ride -- from elation to extreme irritability, intense rage, or devastating depression. First, Cathy was diagnosed with Bipolar II, 10 years ago and claims she goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds. Dr. Phil takes a look at the toll her disorder takes on her two boys, and brings the family together for a dramatic moment of emotional healing. Then, during various manic episodes, Fred has stolen a taxi, crashed into a Starbucks, and climbed to the top of a church. He hears voices and believes that movie stars like Denzel Washington and Robert De Niro are talking to him through their movies. Still, Fred thinks he’s ready to move out of his parents’ house and live on his own for good … but should his family let him? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 7, 2006, 1:23 am CST

03/07 Extreme Highs and Lows

Quote From: mom2boysjb

My husband was recently diagnosed with bipolar, He claims that it was being in a manic state that led him to the lies and the affair. Any thoughts from anyone? How could he have turned off the mania so well and lied so well for almost 4 months? 

Is he still seeing a therapist?  If not, he should.   

There may be something else there--a comorbid condition, or maybe he doesn't fully believe that what he was doing was wrong--and that his mood disorder is his new "out".   

March 7, 2006, 2:54 am CST

That's me

Well, I missed the show because I was at work all day, but reading the descriptions of Dr Phil's guests, brought me to tears.  That's me.  I'm a rapid cycler bipolar.  There have been times when I was actually on my way to my spot of choice, to attempt suicide, and I snap out of it, and have no clue what I'm doing there.  One minute, I think I'm the most beautiful person in the world, the next, I feel like the biggest bitch, most horrible person and I want to slit my wrists open and take as many pills as I can before I pass out.  People around me either think I'm a bitch, weird, or just crazy.  On top of that, I'm anti-social and I really don't like men.  I wish I was stocked with alcohol to drown the pain, but I have a tendency to binge drink.  Just trying to get my life together, but at times, it feels impossible.

March 7, 2006, 3:42 am CST

Age/Sex/Diagnosis:   34 yrs old/  Male/  Bi-polar 

Medications: Seroquel and Effexor RX   

Relationships:  None  

Jobs:  Too many to count (Always let go because of lack of attendence) 

Education:  Honors Business from the Richard Ivey Business School @ the University of Western 

Positives:  Charming, friendly, empathetic, motivated, intelligent, focused, disciplined, creative, work out religiously 

Negatives:  Irritable, unfriendly, apathetic, de-motivated, stupid decision making skills, unfocused, undisciplined, don't work out 

Things holding me back:  Ability to be consistent such as showing up for work everyday, getting a good nights sleep, being consistent in a friendship or relationship, very moody 

Highs - I am exceptional when I'm on high.  My ego is ridiculously high and I am very confident and get a lot done in a short time frame 

Lows - Don't leave the house, don't shower or groom, don't talk to anyone 

Attempts at Fighting Disease:  I buy motivational cd's books etc such as items from Anthony Robbins, Dr. Phil, Donald Trump and Mark Cuban all in the hopes of giving me the consistent innner strength to achieve to my potential. 

Residence: Currently with Mother, Previous with Father 

Nutrition:  I usually drink soda pop and eat fast food.  I don't want to use the oven, I don't have the patience to cook.  I rarely eat vegtables unless parents cook them for me. 

Finance: Government assitance - No current debts 

Friends: None that I talk to on a regular basis 

Spirituality: Go to church once a week with my father 

Goals: To get a job and keep it - To get an apartment of my own - To work out regularly again - To improve nutrition - To include friends in my life - To be more consistent on a daily basis - To reduce mood swings - To go to bed at the same time every night and get a good nights sleep - To be able to cook and use the oven - To not be a quitter 

March 7, 2006, 4:12 am CST

Living with Bi-Polar is Hell

I have been diagnosed with BiPolar.  It is a terrible thing to live with.  It's hard to find hope and to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  My fiance's family does not want to do anything with me, because I am so "Pscho" sometimes.  I don't ever want to hurt anyone, just me.  I am taking Lithium which help a little, but I am been very depressed because my fiance is going to a family reunion which I was told that I was not invited.  I hate having this desease, I have been in and out of the mental hosptial so many times, medication may help me out a litte, but it still does not cure it.  I wish there was a magic drug out there to keep people with BiPolar happy.  It does make me feel a little better when I hear about other people going through what I am. 

Apple Ann Swan 

March 7, 2006, 4:51 am CST

living with bipolar!!!!

I WAS RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH BIPOLAR DISORDER 1.  THE LAST 15 YEARS HAVE BEEN HORRIBLE FOR ME, I HAVE HAD ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIPS, ABUNDANT LEGAL TROUBLE, YOU NAME IT!!!  THE SADDEST THING OF ALL IS THAT MY FAMILY DOESN'T WANT TO BELIEVE THAT ANYTHING IS WRONG WITH ME.  ALTHOUGH MY HUSBAND IS THE MOST SUPPORTIVE PERSON IN MY LIFE, THE WAY MY FAMILY HAS CHOSEN TO DEAL WITH MY DISEASE IS DEVASTATING.  THANK GOD THAT THERE ARE MEDICATIONS OUT THERE TO HELP WITH THIS DISORDER, BECAUSE IF NOT, I PROBABLY WOULDN'T BE HERE TO WRITE THIS MESSAGE.  I ENCOURAGE ANYONE WHO THINKS THEY MAY HAVE THIS DISEASE TO CONTACT A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL BEFORE IT IS TO LATE. NOT ONLY DO YOU AS THE PERSON SUFFER, BUT EVERYONE WITH WHOM YOU HAVE A CLOSE RELATIONSHIP WITH SUFFERS TO, SPOUSE, FAMILY, CHILDREN, ETC.  BIPOLAR DISORDER EFFECTS EVERYONE INVOLVED!!!!!  IF ANYONE KNOWS WHO TO GET A COPY OF THIS SHOW, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

March 7, 2006, 5:24 am CST

supplement

I read somewhere that taking omega 3 fish oil will help with bipolar disorder.  So I bought some and asked my daughter to try it.  She says she feels so much better taking it.  She told other people about it and now they are taking it.  They all say they feel better.  None of them have  

stopped taking their prescribed medication but are using the omega3 fish oil as a supplement. 

Has anyone else had success using this supplement? 

March 7, 2006, 5:37 am CST

Quote From: calliemom

There is hope for Bi-polar!  I had a baby in April and in August I snapped.  I had had some ups and downs in my life but never knew what it was.  This is the worst I ever felt.  My husband and I found a great psychologist and psychiatrist to help.  I was diagnosised with Bi-polar II, ADHD (which I already knew about) and anxiety.  The Bi-polar was brought out by post-partum depression.  I am now on a few medications; abilify, lamactil, seroquel, adderall and nortriptoline.  I am doing better than ever.  I forget that I have Bi-polar most of the time.  I keep a journal to record how I am doing and that is helpful, too.  When I was diagnosised I made the decision that I would control the illness and it would not control me!  I hope that all of you are able to find the help I have found.   

As far as this disorder being hereditary, yes it is.  All of the women on my mom's side of the family have it or another disorder along the lines of it.  It is a good idea to keep an eye out for your children and look for signs of the disorder.  If you suspect it DO NOT WAIT to get help.  The longer you wait the worse it can get.   

Good luck to all! 

Calliemom!!  I'm also on lamictal, seroquil and nortriptoline along with zyprexa.  We have so much in common...though I've probably had this since early teens, it became full blown and out of control when I was pregnant with my first child. 

I agree that it's definately heridetary..my sister has it, my cousin, and I believe my grandmother had it. 

March 7, 2006, 6:19 am CST

BiPolar + 2

That is one thing I never could understand, is anyone depressed hurting their children.  I have felt on the verge of insanity and no return, but always kept that sanity long enough to go to the hospital.  I knew when to call and have someone get my kids. 

I have been diagnosed with Boderline Personality Disorder, BiPolar and now ADD.  I am almost 45 years old and fortunately my children are grown young men.  I have the guilt of feeling like I cheated them out of their childhood because I was always in and out of hospitals.  They did not know when they came home from school if mom was going to be their or someone else.  But I know I did everything in my power to keep them safe and put them first and that is the best I could do sometimes.   

So I can't comprehend this.  I hate myself and remind myself of that daily, but I love my boys and loved them enough to fight mentally for one more second or minute.  I would hit myself, cut myself, hit brick walls till I couldn't lift my arm anymore. 

I of all people should understand depression, but this I just cannot.  I know it is hard to fight when the fight is mental.  I fight everyday to stay alive, sane and try to function, but severe depression does not lash out physically on others.  Depression is not wanting to be alive let alone get out of bed.  I will stay in my house not even walk outside for weeks if it were not for my partner.  I just feel that someone with that much anger is suffering from something else.  I hope they find out what it is for the people who have children and suffer, and an effective treatment is found. 

Best to All 

March 7, 2006, 6:57 am CST

Recently my husband and his best friend decided I am Bi Polar. Apparently they became psychiatrists without my knowledge. I don't know alot about the disorder. They have decided i have this disorder due to the fact that I can get quite emotional lately trying to deal with the stresses in our daily lives.  

March 7, 2006, 6:59 am CST

zero to psycho...

I can remember regularly and very quickly  losing my composure (PC for psycho to zero in fifteen seconds) while I was in my twenties. Like Cathy, I spent alot of time screaming and wanting to whip the daylights out of my beautiful young son, very often for doing nothing more than looking like his father (we were divorced). My medicine came in the form of words from my parents who lived next door and heard my rants more than once. My loving parents informed me that if they heard or saw such behavior again, they would do whatever was necessary to take my son away from me and out of harm's way. The best medicine in the world! Did I still feel the same desire to scream at and lambast my boy at times? You betcha!  But then I would remember some more words given to be by my mother, who had taken me aside and reminded me that she had experienced the same bitterness and uncontrollable rage toward me when she looked in my face as a child because I reminded her of my father, from who she had been divorced. When I watched the tape of Cathy, I saw all of the bitterness and loneliness of raising children alone (and boys no less), who no doubt remind her of the men who failed to love her or keep her precious family together. Bi-polar or not, Cathy must get over some deep-seated bitterness, take her eyes off of herself and  how she might have been treated and look at what she is doing to her to boys. She needs to also quit claiming her blamelessness by saying her sickness is not her fault. If she has the desire and where-with-all to get up and dress herself, put on her makeup, do her hair and keep her home nicely furnished and decorated, she has the where-with-all to contribute the same time, energy and interest to showing love toward her sons and building them up. As much as the use of phrases like "zero to psycho" contribute to the stigma of mental illness, the continued,or worse, increasing diagnosis of bi-polar disorder for women like Cathy will be a boon for the pharmaceutical companies!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last