Message Boards

Topic : 08/01 Extreme Highs and Lows

Number of Replies: 1257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:43:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 03/07/06) Dr. Phil explores the ups and downs of bipolar disorder. This illness takes its victims on an emotional rollercoaster ride -- from elation to extreme irritability, intense rage, or devastating depression. First, Cathy was diagnosed with Bipolar II, 10 years ago and claims she goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds. Dr. Phil takes a look at the toll her disorder takes on her two boys, and brings the family together for a dramatic moment of emotional healing. Then, during various manic episodes, Fred has stolen a taxi, crashed into a Starbucks, and climbed to the top of a church. He hears voices and believes that movie stars like Denzel Washington and Robert De Niro are talking to him through their movies. Still, Fred thinks he’s ready to move out of his parents’ house and live on his own for good … but should his family let him? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 7, 2006, 8:20 am CST

cant say that on telivision

Quote From: liatsunami

I definately know what you're talking about.  I turn 25 this month which means I'm off my dads insurance and I'm not sure HOW I'm going to pay for my medications.   I'm going to start doing freelance writing once I get my e-lance account up and running, so I'm hoping to bring in some $ that way.  For me I have severe narcolepsy so I'm usually only ablet o stay awake 2-3 hours at a time, so a normal job is simply out of the question.  That  medication and my anti-siezure medication are nearly  $400.00 a piece, then I have my thyroid medication (a cheap $30.00), and my anti-depressant/anti anxiety medication which is $159.00.  None of these problems are things I did to myself, but I learned a long time ago that I just have to keep moving foreward.  If it means I have to give up things, so be it.  It isn't fair, but life....well it never was, and never will be.  You can't regret what is.

For me stress aggravates most of these conditions and believe me for being 24 I have a LOT more than the average person that age.  

Not to be a downer but sometimes all you can really do is be alive, and that's the best you can hope for. 

Feel your pain brother, I am right there with you. I could go on and on. Just takes to much time. 

Made progress Have a  ways to go. 

March 7, 2006, 8:21 am CST

Bipolar in Children

I am just wondering if a child has been abused when younger would it bring on the onsets of bipolar or is it inherited?   I have friend who just kept pushing that her son was bipolar ( he is 11)  that she finally got a Dr to put him on medication and say that he is.  When the boy is with me and my kids he is fine other than a few angry moments which kids sometimes have argument's and then moments later make up.  The mother of this boy has had abusive moments with her kids since they were little.  I have known the little boy since he was six months old and he has never been a bad kid with me.  The boy has had a few ups and downs lately but  mostly downs.  His father told his mother for him to look him up when he turns of age cause the father can't stand to be around the mother.  The boy has stated that he has started hearing voices after this took place.  He tried to carve words in his hand.  Which landed him in the hospital for a week.  The mother has made life  hard on this boy and not to mention his sister.  Alot of things have gone on in that family and I am just wondering if the mental abuse and sometimes physical would bring bipolar on or if maybe is this just a case for the mother to medicate her son so she don't have to put up with him getting upset and angry all the time?

March 7, 2006, 8:21 am CST

03/07 Extreme Highs and Lows

Quote From: tishtish77

I have been waiting and waiting for Dr. Phil to address this issue, only in the hopes that he would dispell some of the stigma related to the disease. I am fearing however, that he maybe stirred up fear instead. I am glad to say that when I was diagnosed, I took responsibility to own up to it, and do everything I could to better myself so as not to hurt myself or others. I took my meds, and still do. I see my doctors on a regular basis to keep everyhting as under control as possible. I believe that everyone has that responsibility to not pretend nothing is happening to them, but to take the disease and admit to it so you can take the power out of it. Once the power is gone, it can control you less, and you can live a healthier more normal life. Who doesn't agree with me? For those living with this disease, I am there with you. May you have peace within your lives like I have. Trish

Bravo 

March 7, 2006, 8:23 am CST

Not one, but TWO sons Bipolar

I have in my mind, composed letters to Dr. Phil about dealing with a Bipolar son.  The reason I never put them to paper was that I knew his case was not dramatic enough to make good TV.  My youngest son started having difficulties at 14, and in a couple of years was diagnosed.  This only compounded his problems, since he as learning disabilites as well.  He reads at about 3-4th gr. level, and his math ability is about the same.  He has applied for jobs at places that have a simple math test on the application.  He is unable to pass those.  1 1/2 yrs. ago, when he was 21, I encouraged him to come live with me, rather than get put on SSI and move into handicapped housing.  I knew that he didn't have consistant, non-enabling parenting from his dad.  Shortly after he moved, we saw a Dr. Phil show on Neurofeedback, found a Dr. in our area who did this and got him started.  He had no insurance, so I paid out of pocket for months.  I also got him some Omega 3 caps, which are known to be helpful.  He never took the caps for more than the first week, and altho he went to his feedback appts., he never understood the process.  He kept thinking it was all about getting to a certain level in the video game. . .  After months of this, and a call from his therapist to me, I talked with my son and he admitted he didn't want to try anymore. 

I don't know if I can convey the level of disappointment and hopelessness I felt at that point.  I really had to dig down deep to find acceptance of his decision.   

He has always taken him meds:  Zyprexa and a mood balancer I can't recall.  When we made the decision for him to move, I knew he was smoking a lot, but was unaware he was drinking heavily.   I was so pleased that in 6 months, he made the decision to stop smoking.  And 3 mos. later he stopped drinking.  During the year he lived here, he worked at 3 fastfood places, altho he hadn't worked for over a year in his old town.  I simply used the Dr. Phil phrase:  "TIll you have a job, your job is to GET a job, and you get up every morning and get out and do it".   

I continued to make efforts to get him to follow general habits that more successful people do:  Take a shower, wash your clothes regularly, avoid picking your zits in front of others, etc.  I also made real efforts to get him to respect me and my home with basic cleaning habits.   He was very resistant to any of that.  After many months of the nagging and his resistance, he made an attempt at moving out into an apt. with a co-worker.  He lost his job the next day, got into fights with the co-worker's wife over just those bad household habits, and was kicked out in 3 weeks, but not before he started smoking again. 

I decided I had made as good an effort as I could, and moved him back to the old town.  He is now on SSI, and food stamps, and lives in a one room appt..  He has a fridge, and a microwave and hotplate, and washes his dishes in the bathroom.  He still smokes, but I believe he is still not drinking.  Thru Voc. Rehab, he is taking lessons in locksmithing.  He has only had one week of enployment since his move.   

During the last year, my middle son has been diagnosed, and is on Zyprexa as well.  He is more functional, can work and is in college.  He has had problems with the law, however.   

After the show on Bipolar disorder, I am again hopeful.  With the kind of brain scan shown, I feel my sons could find the right help for a more rewarding life.  A mother can't give up hope.  My task, I feel, is to love them both, and to be hopeful but realistic at the same time. 

March 7, 2006, 8:27 am CST

Thank You Dr. Phil

I am so glad that Dr. Phil chose to discuss this topic.  Depression, Bioplar, Anxiety ect. are topics that no one wants to acknowledge because they aren't fun and don't draw big ratings.  This topic needs to be brought to light because so many people suffer in silence and feel like are all alone for fear of being labled "crazy". 

I  have suffered from depression for many years and as long as I take my medication as prescribed I feel fine.  I have tried on several occasions to wean myself off the medication only to have a set back.  I have finally come to terms with the fact that this is just going to have to be part of my life forever. 

Depression is hard to explain to someone because there is no obvious cause.  I'm not depressed about  something concrete it's just a feeling. 

Just  being able to talk about it to people that really understand this has been a HUGE help. 

Misty 

March 7, 2006, 8:30 am CST

Anyone remember 3 causes of anger

Hiya, i'm new here.  Perhaps someone can help me remember what dr. phil said were the three reasons a person exhibits the "symptom" of anger.   He mentioned it when talking with a husband who had anger fits and said he didn't know why.  I think one was fear, another was something about things not meeting his expectations, I think, and the third, i totally can't remember.  Need help.  thanks, lincoln

March 7, 2006, 8:33 am CST

married to a BiPolar patient

I have been married to my husband for 25yrs. and he has bipolar disorder, he is on several meds but it took a while for thedoctors to diagnois his condition, the doctors first treated him for depression, he kept having anger spells and couldn't control his rage,they doctors finally diagnoised him as bipolar with anxiety attacks,. he is now on Lithum, Clozpam, PaxilCR, with out these meds he would lose control of his behavior. He is much better to live with . I was told that this can be genetic, infact,one of my sons also has been diagnoised with it also but he will not get treatment. It cost him his marriage, and he almost took is life. because he couldn't deal with a divorce. This condition has or can cause other problems also, So  don't take it litely, Biopolar is a chemical  embalancein the brain, at least that is what I was told, and the only thing that will help a person with this condition is to take medication and see a mental heath doctor.

March 7, 2006, 8:35 am CST

EXTREME HIGHS AND LOWS

I did not watch the whole show.  How old were the sons and did Dr Phil have the children removed from the home?  If this violent situation were true, the first thing to do would be to remove the children.  If they were not removed, I do not believe this is a real situation.  There was a show with Jeraldo quite a few years back, the incidents were made up.  I am writing about the single mother.   

March 7, 2006, 8:37 am CST

Scared

I just finished watching the show, and have to admit I am scared of becoming bipolar. 

My sister was diagnosed with the illness 4 months ago, after years of being treated of manic depression.  She has a wonderful doctor now, who is listening to her and helping to find the right medication for her.  The show upset her because she saw herself in Cathy.  The only differance is my sister internalizes her anger.  My sister does not have support from her husband and children, and it breaks my heart.  She moved to Virginia from New York so she could be with us.  Her children are all adults and none of them bother with her, and she was always there for them. 

My sister did not really show major signs until after the death of our parents, grandmother, sister, and the loss of her job she truly loved.  I admire my sister for the fight that she is battling to get well, but she feels like she is fighting a losing battle.  I just pray that we will find the right medication for her, so she can live the rest of her live to the fullest.   

That brings me to the part that scares me.  I saw my mother, sister(who is deceased), and my neice in the show.  I know realize that they had the disease also.  I am praying that I will not have the disease also.  I haven't spoken to my neice in years because she has attacked me several times.  The last time she tried to burn me with a cigarette and pushed me down some stairs.  My neice refuses to take medication on a regular basis and has made having a relationship with her dangerous.  I know realize that she does not control her actions and will open the door for her, but within a safe distance.  I do have a 3 year old grand daughter to protect, and will have to make my decisions wisely.  Please send your ideas and feelings, or if you have dealt with similar situations. 

I will take the feedback with an open mind.  Thank you so much, Debbie 

March 7, 2006, 8:39 am CST

internal head injury

For 19 years, I have been treated for depression, clinical depression, manic depression and most recently long-term symptoms of internal head-injury.  It has been a long road of knowing something is not right and the challenge of defining what the problem really is.  I was most interested in the segment of the show showing the brain scans and the significant difference in the brain there injury had occurred. 

Nineteen years ago, I was in a horrific car crash and experienced a cus, counter-cus head injury  (That just means that the front and back of my brain was bruised.)  and was comatose for 5 days. 

Daily, I am challenged by sequencing issues (yesterday, the day before and two weeks are all the same to me), short-term memory issues, being overwhelmed when dealing with more than a couple of things at a time.  Looking back, I have never held a job longer than 2 years, I exercise poor judgement and can justify it and looking forward, my ex-husband and his new wife and looking to gain custody of our children.  Rather than accept my challenges, they are holding them against me. 

I have had CT scans and MRI's in the past, but never the kind of brain imaging I saw on the Dr. Phil show.  It is time to look into that. 

When people see my physical scars, they ask about them and are sympathetic.  But it is the head injury which has had the largest impact on my life with no visible scars.   

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last