Message Boards

Topic : 08/01 Extreme Highs and Lows

Number of Replies: 1257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:43:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 03/07/06) Dr. Phil explores the ups and downs of bipolar disorder. This illness takes its victims on an emotional rollercoaster ride -- from elation to extreme irritability, intense rage, or devastating depression. First, Cathy was diagnosed with Bipolar II, 10 years ago and claims she goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds. Dr. Phil takes a look at the toll her disorder takes on her two boys, and brings the family together for a dramatic moment of emotional healing. Then, during various manic episodes, Fred has stolen a taxi, crashed into a Starbucks, and climbed to the top of a church. He hears voices and believes that movie stars like Denzel Washington and Robert De Niro are talking to him through their movies. Still, Fred thinks he’s ready to move out of his parents’ house and live on his own for good … but should his family let him? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 6, 2006, 1:46 pm CST

Biploar

I am 30 years old and am Bipolar.  I found out that I was Bipolar a little over a year ago.  I have suffered all my life with depression that never went treated.  I found out that I was Bipolar after loosing a job and attempting suicide.  I have problems controlling my anger and am in anger management.  I am currently taking 7 different types of medication for my Bipolar. However, when I am not on my meds is when I am at my worse. I caused my family to go into over $80,000.00 dollars into debt leading us to file bankruptcy.  I become violent towards my husband and my children.  I feel that Bipolar does run in family blood line. I see traits of the illness in my own familly and wish that they could get help, but I know that I cant push treatment on someone that doesn't feel that they have a problem.  I am scared of my own self. I am afraid to be with people because I am afraid of how I might react to something.  I have a great husband who has gone through a lot in the 5 years that we have been married. I have 2 beautiful daughters whom I am afraid that I will pass this illness down to them and I hope that they can see me and if they feel that they might even be Bipolar in the slightest bit will ask for help. Me I was afraid to get help. Thank you Dr Phil for talking a bout this topic.   

Cdl6275@knology.net 

March 6, 2006, 1:57 pm CST

Bi-Polar is REAL

I am a 30 yr old mother of a 2 1/2 yr daughter.  I was diagnosed last year with Bi-Polar.  This past year I have played doctor with myself.  I have stopped and started my meds often.  Well, I learned a huge lesson last week not to do that, I almost went to jail.  I had been off  my meds for a little over a week and I had a few drinks.  Well something terrible happen and don't remember anything.  I went into a rampage, punched holes in the walls, threw  things around the house.  I also was cursing and screaming.  Then I went to the garage and bashed my husbands windshield in a golf club that broke in half.  Next I took off roaming the neighbor hood with no shoes on.  Finally the police arrived and found me hiding under a car.  I do not remember anything......My husband told me all this the next day.  My husband does not understand bipolar and didn't know what meds I was on, so the police didn't know either.  Thank God I did not go to jail.  My sister in-law took me to her house.  When I woke up I didn't remember one thing.  I was so embarrassed and ashamed of myself.  Also to think my baby girl saw and heard all of this. Well, guess what the next night I lost it again.  I got in my car and left.  I was staying in a townhouse while my husband and I were working out our problems.  I do not remember driving there.  Thank God my husband kept my daughter.  The only thing I remember that night is that for some reason I was in the attic (which I do not like attics) with a knife, hammer and a lighter.  What in the world was I doing!  Then all I remember is waking up on Monday morning.  I knew I was losing it.  My husband took my to the doctor and now I am back on my meds(6 different ones).  I am starting to feel better, but I know I have a long road ahead of me.  The first thing to do is admit you are Bi-Polar, so I am now telling the world.  On top of  being bipolar, I also suffer from depression, anxiety, hypothyroidism, insomnia.  It is good to know I am not a lone.  It is scary!!!   For those of us have children we have to watch them too.

March 6, 2006, 2:18 pm CST

You are not alone

Quote From: cdl6275

I am 30 years old and am Bipolar.  I found out that I was Bipolar a little over a year ago.  I have suffered all my life with depression that never went treated.  I found out that I was Bipolar after loosing a job and attempting suicide.  I have problems controlling my anger and am in anger management.  I am currently taking 7 different types of medication for my Bipolar. However, when I am not on my meds is when I am at my worse. I caused my family to go into over $80,000.00 dollars into debt leading us to file bankruptcy.  I become violent towards my husband and my children.  I feel that Bipolar does run in family blood line. I see traits of the illness in my own familly and wish that they could get help, but I know that I cant push treatment on someone that doesn't feel that they have a problem.  I am scared of my own self. I am afraid to be with people because I am afraid of how I might react to something.  I have a great husband who has gone through a lot in the 5 years that we have been married. I have 2 beautiful daughters whom I am afraid that I will pass this illness down to them and I hope that they can see me and if they feel that they might even be Bipolar in the slightest bit will ask for help. Me I was afraid to get help. Thank you Dr Phil for talking a bout this topic.   

Cdl6275@knology.net 

I just read your quote and wow we have both experienced the same issues.  I also damaged our finances.  I have had numerous jobs, thought about suicide and having out burst.  I have been told that this is genetic and can be passed down to our children, like it was passed down to us.  I am also scared to death.  Now I know what to look for in my daughter when she is young, unlike myself. 

sdunford99@yahoo.com :-) 

March 6, 2006, 2:21 pm CST

Cheating while Manic

My husband was recently diagnosed with bipolar, He claims that it was being in a manic state that led him to the lies and the affair. Any thoughts from anyone? How could he have turned off the mania so well and lied so well for almost 4 months? 

March 6, 2006, 2:26 pm CST

03/07 Extreme Highs and Lows

Quote From: ebeadit1

What drugs have been prescribed.  Any class of serotonin reuptake inhibitors actually will push you inot a manic phase and cause worse symptoms.  These include lexipro, prozac, Zoloft, wellbutrin, etc.  Equatro is a new drug for people with bipolar disorders 1 and 2.  It is a carbazapine class.  So maybe you should see your psychiatrist about it.
prozac zoloft wellbutrin depokote triliptal rispadol  bospar geoidon alot more i just forgot them sorry about the spelling

March 6, 2006, 2:38 pm CST

Common misconceptions about the bi-polar condition

I think one of the largest misconceptions that society has about this disease is that it has various levels and two major types, and one that goes hand in hand with the dignosis of schizoprenia.  The first type of bipolar is "bi polar without psychotic episodes" (Type1).  The second is "bi-polar with psychotic episodes"  (Type 2).  The third is "bipolar with psychotic episodes and symptoms of schizoprenia".  In the media we often see Type 2 and schizoprenia being portrayed, rather than Type1. 

Most of of the people diagnosed as Bi-Polar are not dangerous to others, they are more dangerous to themselves.   While some have reoccuring thoughts of killing people or hurting people, most do not act on them.  In fact most people experiencing these thoughts tend to be very upset by them.  Usually the highly dangerous people with mental illlness are the ones with anti-social personality disorder or attatchment disorders. or severe dementia.

The paranoid behavior of some bipolar patients is most likely an idicator of paranoid schizoprenia, and should be looked into accordingly.

Most people with Type 1 can live relatively normal lives, some even without medication.  Type 2 is more difficult to control, but with the proper treatment and medication and supervision of the condition, those afflicted with it can lead productive lives.  It is most difficult for schizophrenics with bi-polar disorder to function because the medications only even out the mood, and decrease psychotic episodes(which occur during the  ACTIVE PHASE), they do not deal with syptoms of the PASSIVE PHASE.

For their own safety some people should be institutionalized, but the need for this is very rare. 

March 6, 2006, 2:59 pm CST

03/07 Extreme Highs and Lows

Quote From: missmouse

My son who is 6 has it and was diagnosed 2 years ago.  And he can go from perfectly fine to, well I don't like the word "Psycho" either, but exhibiting very disturbing behavior like the switch of  a lightbulb, he has had very delusional behavior and it just breaks my heart.  He is on some "antipsychotic" meds right now that help even out his highs and lows better than the Lithium did, so while the term is not really accurate, at my house some days it seems like it!  Not to make light of this disorder, believe me, I've spent the better part of 19 month reading almost every book I can on childhood bi polar and just bi polar in general, as a mother I have to be my son's voice best advocate.  One his really bad, highly manic days, he can seem to others (who don't understand what bipolar is, or who are just plain ignorant and don't believe it can happen in kids that young) he may seem "psychotic". Hopefully the preview is not actually Dr. Phil speaking, but just part of the video clip..... from the shows I 've watched since the beginning, Dr. Phil doesn't seem one sensationalize or trivialize anyone with a mood disorder or any other type of illness.   

I wish you luck on your journey.  If you can offer any advice to this lost mom for dealing with  my son, I would be eteranally gratefuly!  Oh, my son also has co curring ADHD, which makes it even more of a challange... but I digress....  He sees a very good psychiatrist, who prior to moving to this area, headed up the Harvard Children's Mental Health Facilty, he also has a degree in Pharmacology, so I trust him with the medications he recommends, I also have a child psychologist and an educational pyshologist for my son.  (along with about 15 books for me!)   

Take care, and we'll "chat" after the show! 

Victoria 

Your son was diagnosed at 4?  Wow, that is pretty early.  From my understanding it much less commmon infor an onset in young children than in adolescents and young adults.  Given the strong family history though, it does not sound like a strange thing in your case.   I'm curious....are they using the anti-psychotic as a mood stabilizer or was he actually having psychotic episodes?

Also if he was having psychotic episodes did the Dr.s do a test for schizoprenia?  They can be linked disorders.  In the future (especially in the teen years) I would advise you to watch for symptoms of schizoprenia(for example extreme paranoia or butterfly speech), it's always good to be cautious.  

Ask your Dr. if there is any research about diet and the symptoms of bi-polar disorder.  It might also help to monitor his behavior  as indicators of his moods and record them in a journal if you can by day  (make sure to note any changes).  Be sure to discuss your findings with all of his Dr.s and psychologists ,. if there are any changes that seen odd to you let them know right away.

Good Luck

March 6, 2006, 3:00 pm CST

I hope this show helps us all

I have 4 bipolar children. 3 surviving. All my children are different. This is such a complex illness. It has been a rollercoaster for the whole family. My daughter committed suicide in 2004. She had stopped taking her meds. She was 23 and left 3 children behind. I have a 23 yr old who is in and out of jail for not reporting or not doing what is required of him. I fear he will end up dead or in prison. He will get medication there to help him. he can't afford it when he is out of jail. I have a 18 yr old who controls his and it is still scary. I see him depressed most of the time. He excels in sports, school, and is heading off to college next year. he is the perfectionist. Classic Bipolar symtoms. That is how my daughter was too. I also have a 15 yr old son who is now in a residential treatment center. Has been since Dec. They are still trying to get him stableized. I really hope this show helps us. I am always on guard. Cindy tried to kill herself 6 times before she succeeded. Jeremy has been in the hospital 27 times since he was 16. Ronny has only went  once that was right after his sister died. Kenny this is his second time in residential. The first time they never diagnosed him as bipolar. The anti-depressant drugs didn't work. he was gone for 2 1/2 yrs. This last time he dumped gas on himself and tried to set himself on fire. I hope this show helps me to be able to help my children. I love them so much and this illness is sometimes too much to handle.       One confused and grieving mom,   Linda

March 6, 2006, 3:01 pm CST

Bipolar and Split personality

I am 30 years old and was told that I had bipolar and split personality five years ago. Took medication for a year but stop. I do have ups and downs, but I would never hurt my children.  I live for my kids people think I should go back on medication and sometimes I think I should but I can't see myself doing that, not yet I have to try and be strong..  I sometimes get angry but I breath, count sing and scream to relieve the anger.  But my doctors fear that I have lost it already cause I show no emotion to anything they say I'm numb.  What wrong with that I would rather feel that thing pain and hurt and depression all the time.

March 6, 2006, 3:05 pm CST

Bipolar and Split personality

I am 30 years old and was told that I had bipolar and split personality five years ago. Took medication for a year but stop. I do have ups and downs, but I would never hurt my children.  I live for my kids people think I should go back on medication and sometimes I think I should but I can't see myself doing that, not yet I have to try and be strong..  I sometimes get angry but I breath, count sing and scream to relieve the anger.  But my doctors fear that I have lost it already cause I show no emotion to anything they say I'm numb.  What wrong with that I would rather feel that thing pain and hurt and depression all the time.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last