Message Boards

Topic : Grandparents Raising Grandchildren

Number of Replies: 316
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:46:10 pm
Author : dataimport
Grandparents face unique challenges raising their grandchildren. Share your advice, support and stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 28, 2005, 4:12 pm CDT

grandparents raisng grandchildren

I have 2 of my grandchildren, that I am raising. I have had them both since birth. Morgan is now 3 years old. And Trinity is 18 months. I have adopted Morgan, and Trinity's adoption is in process now. It is not an easy thing to do, but it is very rewarding. All I have to do is look into their little faces and I know I made the right choice. It is much more difficult  now, then when I raised their mother and her sister. I do not have the energy now, that I had then. All the things I thought I would be able to do when my biological children were grown, will probably never happen now. For me, it was a good choice, I love the girls very much, and I am never lonesome or bored.nor will I ever be able to retire.

September 3, 2005, 3:21 pm CDT

Grandparents Raising Grandchildren

I have found out that raising a grandson was very important for my on well being. It was difficult beause of the lower energy level that I had with him compared to raising his mom. However, his enthusiasim fueled my tank. As we hear so often I enjoyed my grandchild more than his mom as I got older.

September 3, 2005, 9:22 pm CDT

Grandson

Quote From: harray

I have found out that raising a grandson was very important for my on well being. It was difficult beause of the lower energy level that I had with him compared to raising his mom. However, his enthusiasim fueled my tank. As we hear so often I enjoyed my grandchild more than his mom as I got older.
Thank the dear Lord for you being able to step in and save your sweet grandson from the system. I am raising my first granddaughter (12) and denied access to her older sister (my son and two woman). I run CANGRANDS a support group for GRG and kinship families in Canada.

September 3, 2005, 9:24 pm CDT

grandchildren

Quote From: itsgina14

I have 2 of my grandchildren, that I am raising. I have had them both since birth. Morgan is now 3 years old. And Trinity is 18 months. I have adopted Morgan, and Trinity's adoption is in process now. It is not an easy thing to do, but it is very rewarding. All I have to do is look into their little faces and I know I made the right choice. It is much more difficult  now, then when I raised their mother and her sister. I do not have the energy now, that I had then. All the things I thought I would be able to do when my biological children were grown, will probably never happen now. For me, it was a good choice, I love the girls very much, and I am never lonesome or bored.nor will I ever be able to retire.

Thank the dear Lord for you being able to have your two granddaughters and save them from the system. I am raising my first granddaughter (12) and denied access to her older sister (my son and two woman). We spent 28,000.00 to save Ash and she is worth it as we get the loving!  I run CANGRANDS a support group for GRG and kinship families in Canada.

September 14, 2005, 5:57 am CDT

Aunts Raising sisters kids....

Quote From: bebopbetty

Thank the dear Lord for you being able to have your two granddaughters and save them from the system. I am raising my first granddaughter (12) and denied access to her older sister (my son and two woman). We spent 28,000.00 to save Ash and she is worth it as we get the loving!  I run CANGRANDS a support group for GRG and kinship families in Canada.
 Hi, i'm not a Grandparent, but i am raising two kids that are my sisters two oldest kids, and it's not easy at all, i have six of my own, and money is always a problem, but the love and they way I can see them growing and becoming more and more trusting of  my family and I is worth it all. I can go on forever, at one time i had all four of the kids, but that was way to much, and everyday i think about it i'm hurt because i wish i could have kept all of them togather.

September 14, 2005, 4:45 pm CDT

Quote From: arocooper

Hi, i'm not a Grandparent, but i am raising two kids that are my sisters two oldest kids, and it's not easy at all, i have six of my own, and money is always a problem, but the love and they way I can see them growing and becoming more and more trusting of  my family and I is worth it all. I can go on forever, at one time i had all four of the kids, but that was way to much, and everyday i think about it i'm hurt because i wish i could have kept all of them togather.

Hi! We to are not allowed to see are granddaughter's 13 & 15 I miss them so very much. we were lucky we had them in our lifes for the first 13 yr's so I guess we should  feel lucky. I was wondering how I would get to your web site cangrands would love to join Thank you in advance Lynn Dennett 

October 9, 2005, 12:22 pm CDT

Always there

Yes i am a grandmother raising my grandson due to his mother's alcohol and sexual problems. I pray when she takes him home that he is okay due to her sex parties and drinking. I have become so depressed that i can do nothing to stop her from exposing him to this lifestyle of her. He is taken care of by me and is healthy so the law don't see a thing. I wish i could do something to wake her up but know she must wake herself up first. I pray that god will watch over him every minute of everyday. He is 6 years old and extremely smart in school and life. I hope he will always have love and that she will get caught one day and be put away or lose him. Send your thoughts to  me about how y'all cope.

October 10, 2005, 4:26 pm CDT

Quote From: bmederios

Yes i am a grandmother raising my grandson due to his mother's alcohol and sexual problems. I pray when she takes him home that he is okay due to her sex parties and drinking. I have become so depressed that i can do nothing to stop her from exposing him to this lifestyle of her. He is taken care of by me and is healthy so the law don't see a thing. I wish i could do something to wake her up but know she must wake herself up first. I pray that god will watch over him every minute of everyday. He is 6 years old and extremely smart in school and life. I hope he will always have love and that she will get caught one day and be put away or lose him. Send your thoughts to  me about how y'all cope.
Mty daughter sounds like yours. I have had 2 of her children since they were born. I adopted Morgan, whom isd now 3 years old, and Trinity, 21 months, adoption is in the process now. My daughter agreed to an open adoption as she is well aware that she can not care for the girls. I would be as worried as you about their care, if she would have taken them back. Trinity has special needs. She is inflicted with Downs Syndrom, she as well as Morgan are such joys. It is hard though. I have to work 60 hours a week in order to support them. Child care alone, is $175. 00 weekly for Morgan. Right now, the state pays for Trinity's. Thank God.I wish you the best Gina

October 25, 2005, 9:29 pm CDT

I want to be there for grandson

My son is 14 and is going to have a son. The girl came to me to let me know first, she was 7months along. Me and my husband had to tell her father. Of course being the single dad he is was mad and I am sure embarrassed that he didn't see it. Later he asked my thoughts about it and what I wanted. I told him we all talked before he got there and I wanted to take the baby. He said fine. Now he won't let her talk to us and said he wants to put the baby up for adoption to "A RICH FAMILY", my son is very up set and will not sign any papers. I know he is young but does her father have the right to not let us have anything to do with my soon to be grandson. Money doesn't buy the love I already feel for the baby. She knows I love and care about her too. I spent all summer doing things with her and even taking her to buy her school clothes. I want so much to be apart of this babys life. Her father told us if my son don't sign the papers they will keep the baby and make it hell for him. Her dad is also a alcoholic and has dirty house and it scares me to know the baby might go to that home. Please someone let me know of our rights. I have looked up everything and nothing has said anything about a fathers rights.

October 26, 2005, 12:27 pm CDT

miss my kids....

hello.I gave my first daughter to my mom and step-dad.It was one of the worst mistakes I have ever made.They told me how great it would be and that I could see her whenever I wanted,I havent seen my now 9 year old daughter for about 5 years.I am not allowed to call her,write to her or even think about her.Thats what I was told.I also gave my son to my ex fiances parents because we didnt have the finances to care for him.The difference is that I get to talk to him on a regular basis.He is spoiled rotten.I miss my kids and the point is,if I could do it again I would never give them to thier grandparents.I would have raised them myself.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last