Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 7, 2006, 11:52 am CDT

What I am afraid of.

I am afraid of messing up when I at work.  Because I work at Carls Jr and I am afraid of messing up everything.  Even though I have made some mistakes.  I also afraid of  falling infront of all the people in Carls Jr and everywhere else! Julie

April 8, 2006, 9:23 am CDT

Zombies but with rules

When I get up at night, which happens pretty often between the kids and my bladder, part of me is absolutly convinced that there are Zombies hiding in all the dark corners.  

Now, I could turn on the lights, but then the zombies would know that I know that they are there. These zombies only attack if you notice them. 

So, I have to go about my 'business' in the dark, absolutly convinced that a zombie is there, just out of sight. 

I know this is absolutly delusional, but I also absolutly believe it.  

Weird, huh? 

April 8, 2006, 11:46 am CDT

greatest fear

My greatest fear is impossible and  honestly it is stupid, but I'm scared that one day when i die I'm gonna wake up in my coffin. my fear is so bad that i want to be cremated.  my husband says no to that he is gonna bury me. so to solve this problem I'm having a living will made up that will states if he buries me he has to bury me with all his guitars... my best friend also wants to be cremated cause she does not want bugs crawling on her. well at least i admitted my fear was stupid. and very imposable. but that is my greatest fear.. I'm not claustrophobic. so I'm not sure why this would bother me, but all my life i have been scared of being buried alive.

April 8, 2006, 11:49 am CDT

no not weird

Quote From: alleyg

When I get up at night, which happens pretty often between the kids and my bladder, part of me is absolutly convinced that there are Zombies hiding in all the dark corners.  

Now, I could turn on the lights, but then the zombies would know that I know that they are there. These zombies only attack if you notice them. 

So, I have to go about my 'business' in the dark, absolutly convinced that a zombie is there, just out of sight. 

Weird, huh? 

it seems funny to some people but fears are real i just posted mine if you think yours is weird read mine... we all are scared of something. lets see if we all will admit to just what it is....

April 8, 2006, 12:40 pm CDT

small

It is crazy but I am afraid (terrified) of small animals like hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs etc.    Lucky for me my kids have not brought one home !!!    I can not explain it but I am  very afraid of these type of animals.   I am afraid of mice and of course rats but I just do not know why the fear of domestic rodents.    Family friends of ours love to let their hamsters run around when we are over there to watch my cry and shake.   I am ashamed to admit this as mother of two. 

April 8, 2006, 12:40 pm CDT

The scarest thing in the world

My worst fear is tornado's. Ever sinse my mother went through a F5 in 1998, I've been so afraid of storms. I saw the after math and knowing that the neighbors I grew up with died on my mothers front porch steps, and in a tree in the front yard. I just can't deal with storms. If I know we're going to have bad weather, I start to freak out and worry. It's gotten to the point I have to take nerve pills to make it through, and then it's through tears and prayers. Last night we had bad storms and I did'nt go to bed until 3 in the morning. I'll start twitching and rocking and crying. It's a terrible thing when a almost 35 year old women reduces herself to utter misery to make it through. If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with it, please let me know. 

Mary from Alabama 

April 8, 2006, 5:57 pm CDT

bump in the night

Quote From: alleyg

Weird, huh? 

I read your fear thing and my hubby laughed when I told him.    I have a irrational fear of hamsters and the like.   ( LOL I do not get it either!!!   )  But I am also afraid to put my feet down in the middle of night in case there is someone or something under the bed.    When my kids need me in the middle of the night I jumped out and quickly put my slippers on.    I am a grown up that still thinks there are monsters under the bed!!!   My five yr old and 3 yr old have not inherted my fear.   Thankfully.     I can remember my own mom spraying water and vinegar under my bed when I was small.   I think this fear for me comes from the fact that a family friend was killed in her own home.   I am interested to see what Dr Phil has on this topic.    All grown up and still afraid of things that go bump in the night. 

April 9, 2006, 9:46 am CDT

Sharks

I have an irrational fear of sharks.  I dont even have to be near water to be frightened.  When I see a picture of a shark while turning pages in a book,  I will scream out (usually obscenities, which I cant seem to control, lol) and throw the book, I'll even have a hard time picking the book back up to put it away for fear knowing that there is a shark in there and I'm "touching" it.  A few times I have lost the remote control and had to change the TV station by hand and have flipped past a shark.  Being right up there next to it has panicked me so much that i fly over backwards and yell out loud enough for my husband to come running in the room to see what's wrong.  I had told a friend about this fear and he kinda laughed and started humming the "jaws" theme, I laughed and told him to stop...but I was more than serious for him to stop because I could feel the sharks swarming me.  The worst part is that I can't close my eyes in the shower.  I see a shark heading straight towards me with its mouth open getting ready to take a bite out of my legs...and again...i yell out and sometimes thrash to get it away from me.  I've had this fear as long as I can remember.  It never goes away.  It controls me.

April 9, 2006, 1:06 pm CDT

What am I afraid of is......

What I'm afraid of is heights..... I'm trying to overcome them as we speek

April 9, 2006, 10:24 pm CDT

Past lives

Quote From: pnl_36

My greatest fear is impossible and  honestly it is stupid, but I'm scared that one day when i die I'm gonna wake up in my coffin. my fear is so bad that i want to be cremated.  my husband says no to that he is gonna bury me. so to solve this problem I'm having a living will made up that will states if he buries me he has to bury me with all his guitars... my best friend also wants to be cremated cause she does not want bugs crawling on her. well at least i admitted my fear was stupid. and very imposable. but that is my greatest fear.. I'm not claustrophobic. so I'm not sure why this would bother me, but all my life i have been scared of being buried alive.

I know this may sound very weird or even crazy to some, but I believe that some fears we have in this life may be caused from a previous one.  Your fear about being buried alive may as well could have happened before.  I know, I know it sounds weird, but I do believe this.  I had a fear of childbirth and I still have one of heights and I think something may have happened in a past life to make me this way. 

Now, for those people who have fears of people in costume or ice cream, well....now that's crazy!  LOL 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last