Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 12, 2006, 11:40 pm CDT

You're not the only one!

Quote From: ginaptu

I am so excited that i watched this show today. I have been terrified of cotton balls my entire life and everyone always thought I was crazy. It makes me feel sooo much better to know that there is at least one more person in the world that is scared of them as well. You always hear of people being scared of snakes and things like that, but never cotton balls...people could never understand why I was scared of them, or why I needed to avoid them when I went shopping. But everything that this woman said on the show today about cotton balls, is the same exact way that I feel about them.
I'm that girl that was on the show afraid of cotton balls. One thing I've learned from it all - I'm not the only one! It's surprising how many people have come up to me and told me about family members or friends who share this fear since they learned about me being on the show. It's crazy! We did kind of take it in a lighthearted manner, b/c it really does sounds rediculous, but it's a legit fear. People just can't understand it - I'm glad you can!!

April 13, 2006, 9:09 am CDT

Fears!!

OK......I have two fears......one maybe not so crazy but one that is probably a little nuts to some.   First, I'm afraid of bees and wasps...hornets, yellowjackets....basically those little bugs that are striped and can sting!!  I don't know why?  I have been stung a couple of times and I'm not allergic...it's probably just the loss of control thing.  The fear that is more crazy than that is I am deathly afraid of vomiting....when I feel sick and feel like I'm going to vomit I get cold clammy hands, my heart races and I have an anxiety attack!!!  I do whatever I can to not vomit!!!  I know, you're laughing....

April 13, 2006, 9:22 am CDT

Greatest Fears

I'm beginning to develop a real fear of these message boards.  I'm can't seem to figure out how they are organized. Replies and postings seem to jump all over the place.   I am constantly being "logged out".  They also eat up way too much of my time (but are somewhat addictive).  I now need to go and concentrate on organizing my term paper for a class I'm taking.  Bye.

April 13, 2006, 9:47 am CDT

Wasps, Hornets, Yellowjackets

Quote From: kawaialoha

OK......I have two fears......one maybe not so crazy but one that is probably a little nuts to some.   First, I'm afraid of bees and wasps...hornets, yellowjackets....basically those little bugs that are striped and can sting!!  I don't know why?  I have been stung a couple of times and I'm not allergic...it's probably just the loss of control thing.  The fear that is more crazy than that is I am deathly afraid of vomiting....when I feel sick and feel like I'm going to vomit I get cold clammy hands, my heart races and I have an anxiety attack!!!  I do whatever I can to not vomit!!!  I know, you're laughing....

I don't blame you.   Both your fears are real and unpleasant experiences.   From your username, it looks like you might live in Hawaii?  If so, I know what you mean.  I lived there for about a year and I once saw a bumble bee the size of a hummingbird.  Everything is "bigger" there.   

I was stung by a hornet, and a large bumble bee once (not fun).  Contrary to the popular believe that if you don't bother them, they will leave you alone  -- not true.  In both instances they just landed on me while I was sitting quietly and attacked.    I have hiked extensively in the foothills of Orange County and know that these flying critters are territorial and they will even chase you.  I have stepped around over rattlesnakes with no angst while hiking.   I don't give the mountain lions a second thought.  But the flying insects freak me out.   

As for vomiting, of course, equally unpleasant.  I don't like it.  No, I'm not laughing.  My worst experience was feeling nauseated on a hot day while hiking and at the same time being "buzzed" by huge bumble bee (one of those fuzzy ones with black and yellow stripes).  My friends were laughing at me.   Made me want to put my Leki trekking poles out to pasture for good.   

April 13, 2006, 11:07 am CDT

More Vomit Phobia

I read several posts out there from people who were afraid of being sick or being around those who are. I have been this way for as long as I can remember. When I was younger I was only afraid when I actually felt sick. Now, as an adult, I am afraid all the time. If I have the slightest feeling of my stomack being unsettled I start to worry, if I hear of anyone close to me being sick or anyone that I have been around recently being sick I start to worry. It got really bad right after I graduated from college. I went to work in a day care... not a good idea if you are afraid of vomiting. My third day there I had to call in sick due to a stomach virus. I worked there for 9 months and never got sick again, but my hands were raw from washing and I pretty much stopped eating. I could eat during the day (when I was busy and my mind was occupied) but at night I couldn't make my self eat. My irrational thinking was that if there was nothing in my stomach, there was nothing to throw up. I would literally stay up all night worried that I was going to throw up. I ended up talking to my doctor and he put me on medication (there was some anxiety involved there, too, since the medicine might make me throw up). I ended up seeing a therapist for a while. The combination helped the anxiety but the fear is still there. There has been more irrational things throughout my life. For years I wouldn't take naps because every time I have gotten sick, I had taken a nap earlier in the day so I associated the nap with the sickness. Being the mother of a 2 year old, I got over the no nap thing pretty well, but now I am terrified of her bringing home germs from day care. Amazingly, she has only vomited one time in her life. Just writing that makes me nervous, I feel like I am jinxing myself and she will end up sick very soon. My husband is very suuportive of me and never makes fun of my fear. He has been sick several times since our daughter was born and I feel like I terrilbe wife since I cannot take care of him when he is sick. I am very afraid of what will happen when my daughter gets it because she will need her mommy and I don't know if I will be able to do it. I am 31 years old and this fear stays in my mind all the time. Obviously sometimes are worse than others. I could write all day about this. The most important thing to remember is that no fear is stupid. I said that to my doctor and he told me that if my fear, no matter what it was, was affecting my life the way this one was, it was definitely a real fear for me and it would benefit me greatly to try to do something about it.

April 13, 2006, 1:00 pm CDT

A Safe Harbor for those who fear "aliens"

Quote From: mokoro

I felt soooo sorry for you because you came on the show with courage and bravery and I felt that you were almost forced to agree with Dr. Phil . I did not think you appeared "STUPID" or crazy one bit! 

I only felt sad that you were not validated..I beleive something tramatic occured to you and to downplay your experience was  in my  opinion was insensitive. Don;t worry, Although I have never experienced that I beleive you did experience it. Did you not say your mother did too? 

Does she remember the experience?Please know, that I am not the only one who beleives in you!!! 

I am sorry that it interferes with your life and wish I could suggest some help. But as you already must have figured out ...people, even professionals will tell you "its all in your head". 

God is greater than anything out there so my advice is to go to him and ask for His protection. He answers Prayers!!! 

Hugs 

xoxox 

Most of the world loves to laugh at the alien abduction phenomenon and crack those "anal probe" jokes. To the lovely lady who was on the show: I have a safe place for you to go and tell your story: unknowncountry.com

You will never be judged, laughed af, made fun of, and unlike Dr. Phil, people with degrees as high as high or even higher can and will validate your experiences. You don't have to be afraid anymore. The phenomenon is real. Many of us at unknowncountry.com don't choose to call them "aliens," but "visitors," as we do not feel that these little gray guys are from outer space. I have been an "experiencer" since 1959 when a robot exactly like the one I later read about in Whitley Strieber's best-selling book "Communion" rushed into my room and scared the hell out of my twin brother and I. Oh, my twin brother clearly remembers the incident to this day, too. Ahead of me lay a lifetime of other very strange experiences. I am no longer afraid of the "grays" as I call them, and neither is my daughter, who is 10 and also an experiencer. 

Go ahead and laugh people. It's a free country. I think it's a shame that Dr. Phil did not validate this sweet woman's feelings and the very next day let that horrible pedophile off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist! Now HE'S something to be scared of!

Please check out unknowncountry.com; it is EXCELLENT.

You know what I'm afraid of? CLOWNS! ;)

April 13, 2006, 1:10 pm CDT

Nightlady, I love your pretty logo!

Quote From: nightlady

I have suffered from major depression from a very early age and remember thinking about suicide since about the age of ten.  As an adult (54) I still suffer and have been in various treatments but still have a major problem.  I've "accidentally" overdosed on my medication while in a very depressed state and didn't even realize what I had done for a period of time.  Fortunately, for me I've caught my "mistake" shortly after I did it and got help.  When I do this I'm not even aware I'm doing it.  If I'm going to kill myself I don't want it to be by accident.  I want that to be a conscience decision and know what I'm doing. 

I'm also terrified of earthquakes and I've lived in California all my life.  I lived through the big quake in 1989 and it scared the you know what out of me.  I was alone, couldn't through to any one by phone, had no electricity, and sat in the dark all night,couldn't get in your car and drive anywhere and we experienced big aftershocks all night.  Not fun.  Still jump out of my skin when something rattles. 

Just the mere fact that you are AFRAID of suicide gives you an excellent chance of never being successful at it. However, I am disturbed when you say, "If I'm going to kill myself I don't want it to be by accident. I want that to be a conscience decision and know what I'm doing."

Please don't. SUICIDE IS A PERMANENT SOLUTION TO A TEMPORARY PROBLEM. I've been reading a lot of your posts of these boards and you are so wise, warm, and caring. That alone tells me God has put a wonderful person -- YOU -- on this earth for a reason. Please stay here! Are you working? Do you have a family and kids? I have to take meds, too, and I know what a bummer that can be at times. They seem to need adjusting at LEAST twice a year and I hate the side effects, but without them, I cannot function normally. WITH them, I can be a good wife and mother.

I am a victim of childhood abuse and abuse at the hands of my first husband. Many times the thought of suicide passed my mind, but I knew it would hurt the people I left behind, not the least of which a very large family of origin.

All that is behind me and I have a wonderful, loving, caring husband who accepts me unconditionally. Best of all, I have the world's most beautiful, intelligent 10-year-old daughter (all parents are biased!)

I live in PA so I don't have to worry about earthquakes. I did feel a minor one once, while sitting up in bed. Its epicenter was in eastern Ohio. It just felt like I was sitting in a boat. Your fear of THOSE is certainly legitimate! Your bad experience with one has left you with a classic case of PTSD. Have you ever been treated for it? Now if it's really rip-roarin' thunderstorms yer after, come to MY house! Man, they are BAD! We live on a ridge and our house has been struck so many times now I've lost count.

I'm not sure if you can e-mail me by clicking on my user name, but if you can, please feel free. I'd love to talk to you! Blessings to you.

April 14, 2006, 10:12 am CDT

The American Flag

When I was 3 years old I was outside of my parent's house and it was a very windy day.  The American Flag fell on me and wrapped around my head.  I don't remember this incident but I know that I have been terrified of the thing for as long as I can remember.  People think I'm kidding until they experience it with me.  Something I would love to get over, not sure how I would as I go into a complete panic when one is near.  I have often wondered if there is anyone else out there like me...

April 14, 2006, 10:42 am CDT

Be prepared

Quote From: hmeow29

My worst fear is tornado's. Ever sinse my mother went through a F5 in 1998, I've been so afraid of storms. I saw the after math and knowing that the neighbors I grew up with died on my mothers front porch steps, and in a tree in the front yard. I just can't deal with storms. If I know we're going to have bad weather, I start to freak out and worry. It's gotten to the point I have to take nerve pills to make it through, and then it's through tears and prayers. Last night we had bad storms and I did'nt go to bed until 3 in the morning. I'll start twitching and rocking and crying. It's a terrible thing when a almost 35 year old women reduces herself to utter misery to make it through. If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with it, please let me know. 

Mary from Alabama 

The best thing you can do is be prepared.  Have a plan of action if a tornado comes your way.  Put as many walls between you and the outdoors.  Go to the basement, closet or interior room. Stay away from windows and most importantly don't go outside to look at what is going on. 

Do you have a weather readio?  It's the cheapest life insurance you can buy.  I highly recommend you get one so you can stay informed when inclement weather moves your way.

Also, only about 2% of tornadoes are F5 so the odds are quite small you'd have to live through one, but like I said the best thing you can do is be prepared!!!! 

Also, maybe take classes about weather so you can become more informed about tornadoes.  Not every thunderstorm produces a tornado so if you took classes then you can learn what environments are good and bad for tornadoes.  Knowledge is power.   Or if classes aren't convenient then do a little research on the web, there is tremendous amounts of information out there.

Your local National Weather Service office gives classes every spring for those who are interested in being a spotter for them.  I know wouldn't want to do that, but the classes could atleast tell you what to look for.

Take it from me...I am a meteorologist. :)

April 14, 2006, 10:56 am CDT

curious about your experience.

Hi,

You mentioned that you are an experiencer as is your daughter and I wanted more details because you said that you did not believe the "grays" as you called them were from outer space.Where do you beleive they are from?What do they want with you and your daughter?Have they talked to you?

What experience has your daughter had?And your twin brother..has he continued to have any?

Does not this scare you?

I would love some DETAILS PLEASE>

Thanks a bunch:)

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next | Last