Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 14, 2006, 11:09 pm CDT

I was on the show too!

Quote From: trndolvr

Okay, I was recently on the Dr Phil show because of my fear of aliens....it airs today.  So now I have a new fear....I AM SCARED TO DEATH about the show!  While I am definatelys cared of aliens and the thought terrifies me, I know that everyone is going to totally think I am a freak when they see the show.  Helps to hear what some of you are afraid of though....
HI! I only remember you as the alien girl. I am Donna the one afraid of scary movies. I was so  so so afraid about looking silly on the show too! Then I decided..who cares!  The biggest fear was getting on that plane to L.A. I was on a plane twice in 28 hours! I was on T.V.! I watched the show and it was somewhat different from what you remember!  You were fine! Everyone in this world has a fear! some have many! Some wont admit it! Everyone's fear is real to them and no one should judge. I know from watching the show that I make funy faces when I am nervous! I thought your segment turned out great. The show, Dr. Phil and the producers were so great and treated us so wonderful!  How do you feel know that you watched it???

April 14, 2006, 11:18 pm CDT

Scary 4

Quote From: BrianX29

Hello Everyone 

Those clips of scary movie 4 on Dr. Phil today were Funny. Its also interesting to see Dr. Phil come away from the Dr. Phil show and star in a movie. That movie has got to be a real good one and I wil definitly go and see it........... 

Did Robin get the chance to drop the pipe on Dr. Phils head during the taping?????????? 

Hey!  You really need to go see Dr. Phil In Scary Movie 4! I am the girl on the show afraid of Scary Movies and went to the priemere! I thought Dr. Phils part (it opened the movie) was the best part! He actually was very funny and was a good actor! He made fun of himself in this movie and was very convincing! You wont be disapointed! We loved it!

April 14, 2006, 11:25 pm CDT

Thanks....

Quote From: dustyctry

Dr Phil, that was so mean making her watch what "you" think is nothing. Your cutting off your foot in Scarey Movie 4. I watched to help get over my fears but all it did was make me physically sick to my stomach. I know it was make believe but 30 minutes later I am still physically sick. 

When I was little we watched the spooky movies every saturday at a friends house. That was in the 60's so they were mild compared to today's standards. I watched one when a hand came up over the back of the car seat and administered alcohol into the driver of the car. At 50 I still check the backseat before I get into my car. I handled everything until then.  

My husband used to tease me mercilessly by sneaking his hand up my back.  He thought it was funny.  I didn't!!!  Just like today I DO NOT watch scarey movies even though I know how movies are made.  They literally make me physically sick to my stomach.  And to top it off, I am a critical care nurse - go figure! 

I could never and would never go see Scarey Movie 4 if I was sent free.  Why would you make someone else see it when they told you how much it troubled them? I think that move was insensitive on your part. And this is the first time I've ever disagreed with you!!!!  Realize some of us have real fears that we live with whether rational or not.   Dusty in Texas 

Thanks for your support ...But Dr. Phil was great. He did not make me watch that clip.  I did not have to watch the moniter if I did not want to. Dr. Phil was reallly concerned about my fears and followed up after the show.  Talking with him on the show has really changed some things for me! For the better!

April 14, 2006, 11:53 pm CDT

See scary movie 4! DR. Phil is great!

HI! I just want to say that I went to see the priemere of Scary movie 4 ! Dr Phil was EXCELLENT! He was funny, made fun of himself and was very convincing! The whole movie was great.  They spoof war of the worlds, the village, brokeback mountain and the Saw. The director, David Zucker did a wonderful job as he has with all his movies! I remember the first movie I had seen of his was "Airplane". Rent that! Great movie. I also want everybody to know, that Dr. Phil and his staff (HI Nicole!) are really caring people and care about you when the cameras stop rolling. Being on the show has really changed my view point about many things. Can't wait for Scary movie 5!...Donna

April 15, 2006, 6:44 am CDT

Scary Movie 4

Quote From: scary5

HI! I just want to say that I went to see the priemere of Scary movie 4 ! Dr Phil was EXCELLENT! He was funny, made fun of himself and was very convincing! The whole movie was great.  They spoof war of the worlds, the village, brokeback mountain and the Saw. The director, David Zucker did a wonderful job as he has with all his movies! I remember the first movie I had seen of his was "Airplane". Rent that! Great movie. I also want everybody to know, that Dr. Phil and his staff (HI Nicole!) are really caring people and care about you when the cameras stop rolling. Being on the show has really changed my view point about many things. Can't wait for Scary movie 5!...Donna

Hi Donna,

I saw you on the show.  You are "movie star" gorgeous and I'm glad you get to make a film debut for the next sequel.  (Maybe you can spoof yourself from being on the Dr. Phil Show.)  I'm going to the audience again in two weeks.  This will be my fourth time as an audience member.  (I live in So. Cal.)  It's always a fun experience.  I attended the "Annoying Family Members", "Michael and Bridgett",  "Kelly and Grant"

I was first in line to see Scary Movie 4.  I have always been a horror movie buff and it helps if you see the films they are spoofing.   I could not stop laughing.  (Okay, granted, maybe it dragged a little in places or got a little overly silly at times).  But I loved Dr. Phil's part.  And that is the reason I went to see the movie. 

Maybe now you can watch "Saw".  Get the DVD and watch it with the commentary by James Wan (the director) and Leigh Whannell (the screen-writer and one of the actors).  Their commentary is absolutely hilarious.  If I think a movie is too intense, I always watch it with the commentary running.  It takes the edge off.  I still haven't been able to watch "Saw II" without the commentary on. 

I love David Zucker's movies.  All the actors play it entirely straight with all these running "sight" gags going on around them.  I think he maybe also did the "Naked Gun" movies.  And there was one with Armand Assante (I THINK it was a Zucker movie) that spoofed "Fatal Attraction".  I think it was called "Fatal Instinct" or something like that.   That one is absolutely hysterical.  But you have to appreciate that kind of humor.   See it if you can.   Good luck with your movie debut!!

April 15, 2006, 7:28 pm CDT

I was on the show with you Donna

Quote From: scary5

Hey Donna,

This is Laurie...I was on the show with you.  I drove the Nascar and was on with Phil Keoghan from The Amazing Race.  I only got to meet you backstage, but I told everyone about you and your husband when I got home to NY.  I thought you were both so nice.  Hope you had as much fun as I did.  Please feel free to email me at mykidzmum2@aol.com

Laurie

April 15, 2006, 8:54 pm CDT

Can't wait to die

Quote From: nightlady

Thanks for responding to my post.  I lived in the Bay Area all my life until about 14 years ago.  In fact I lived up in the Santa Cruz Mountains while I was in High School.  Graudated for Los Gatos High School.  It's a small world.   

My stepfather committed suicide almost two years ago so I kind of know what you've been through.  They do say that suicide can run in families but I guess we just have to fight our thoughts and try to make our lifes better.  If you'd like to chat more post me again, I'll be looking for you. 

This is my 1st time. I am 50 yrs old and the 1st time I remember thinking about suicide was when I was 12.  There were yrs that I didn't think about it, but it always comes back. I'm married and have a good job and friends, but I just don't want to live this life anymore.  I'm so tired of being so sad. I've been in hospitals, therapy and have been on antidepressants for awhile now.  Nothing seems to help.  I even tell people I'm dying, I guess for attention. The pain keeps coming back. I don't even remember the last time I was happy.  I just put on my stupid happy face in front of people. I am funny and witty and if you knew me, you would think I am the last person to have these thoughts. These cheerful messages just make me sick.

April 15, 2006, 9:06 pm CDT

04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

I am afraid of spiders, bees , turbulence( I almost didn't make it to texas because of this!), dying,  and fast rides such as rollercoasters.

April 16, 2006, 10:00 pm CDT

04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Quote From: cherylvera

This is my 1st time. I am 50 yrs old and the 1st time I remember thinking about suicide was when I was 12.  There were yrs that I didn't think about it, but it always comes back. I'm married and have a good job and friends, but I just don't want to live this life anymore.  I'm so tired of being so sad. I've been in hospitals, therapy and have been on antidepressants for awhile now.  Nothing seems to help.  I even tell people I'm dying, I guess for attention. The pain keeps coming back. I don't even remember the last time I was happy.  I just put on my stupid happy face in front of people. I am funny and witty and if you knew me, you would think I am the last person to have these thoughts. These cheerful messages just make me sick.

Let me just say I know exactly what your talking about.  I been through the same feelings and no matter what I do the thoughts and feelings come back.  I'm funny and witty too and people have a hard time understanding me.  I put on the mask and survive each day.  I've been on medication, in the hospital (many, many) times.  But something happened this week that really stopped me in my tracks.  I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the hospital.  They thought I had had one too but the test came back OK.  They kept me over night in the hospital and when my doctor came in he said they thought I have a blockage in the heart and what did I want them to do if my heart stopped, let me go or try to bring me back.  I didn't know what to say.  When I thought about it for a second I decided I really didn't want to die and I told him to try to bring me back.  It was a very strange experience.  I didn't really think that I could just die all of a sudden.  I've had to reevaluate my life and my thoughts on death and dying.  I go for tests this week to see if I do have a blockage and if they'll have to do surgery.  I'm scared.  What am I afraid of, dying I guess.

Hang in there, if you really give it some thought you don't want to die you just want all the crap in you life to stop and all the mental stuff that keeps going through your head.  I'm around if you'd like to chat some more.

April 17, 2006, 7:43 am CDT

can't wait to die

Quote From: nightlady

Let me just say I know exactly what your talking about.  I been through the same feelings and no matter what I do the thoughts and feelings come back.  I'm funny and witty too and people have a hard time understanding me.  I put on the mask and survive each day.  I've been on medication, in the hospital (many, many) times.  But something happened this week that really stopped me in my tracks.  I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the hospital.  They thought I had had one too but the test came back OK.  They kept me over night in the hospital and when my doctor came in he said they thought I have a blockage in the heart and what did I want them to do if my heart stopped, let me go or try to bring me back.  I didn't know what to say.  When I thought about it for a second I decided I really didn't want to die and I told him to try to bring me back.  It was a very strange experience.  I didn't really think that I could just die all of a sudden.  I've had to reevaluate my life and my thoughts on death and dying.  I go for tests this week to see if I do have a blockage and if they'll have to do surgery.  I'm scared.  What am I afraid of, dying I guess.

Hang in there, if you really give it some thought you don't want to die you just want all the crap in you life to stop and all the mental stuff that keeps going through your head.  I'm around if you'd like to chat some more.

Thanks for writing back.  I sincerely hope everything goes well with you.  I've been in the hospital with what they thought was a heart attack also.  The drs also thought I had a fatal disease, but after more testing, found out I didn't.  That made me angry because I thought that would have been perfect!  I'm not afraid of dying.  But, you are right, I do want all the crap to go away, but it just doesn't.  When one piece of crap goes away, another one comes along and replaces it.  There is no end to this.  My heart is never happy, and I don't see any changes coming after all these years. I'm just so tired of it all. I think it is wonderful that you have changed, but this is all I have known all my life. I know there is no end to this pain for me. It's always there, it's just some days it's stronger. Lately, it's been strong for days on end without any relief. The only peace is knowing I can stop it.  I don't want to live my life like this anymore.  I'm hanging in there, but only until I can get all my business affairs in order.  Good Luck on you testing.

First | Prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next | Last