Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 17, 2006, 8:27 am CDT

I'm concerned about you!!!

Quote From: cherylvera

Thanks for writing back.  I sincerely hope everything goes well with you.  I've been in the hospital with what they thought was a heart attack also.  The drs also thought I had a fatal disease, but after more testing, found out I didn't.  That made me angry because I thought that would have been perfect!  I'm not afraid of dying.  But, you are right, I do want all the crap to go away, but it just doesn't.  When one piece of crap goes away, another one comes along and replaces it.  There is no end to this.  My heart is never happy, and I don't see any changes coming after all these years. I'm just so tired of it all. I think it is wonderful that you have changed, but this is all I have known all my life. I know there is no end to this pain for me. It's always there, it's just some days it's stronger. Lately, it's been strong for days on end without any relief. The only peace is knowing I can stop it.  I don't want to live my life like this anymore.  I'm hanging in there, but only until I can get all my business affairs in order.  Good Luck on you testing.

Are you seeing anyone right now, like a therapist.  It really sounds like you need to talk to someone, NOW.  I know you've probably seen therapist and taken all the medications they like to give but your in crisis right now and you really need to talk to someone.  Does you family know you feel this way.

I understand about the crap coming and you get through it and then something else comes along.  I've lived with this same stuff since I was about 10.  I've made two suicide attempts myself.  What's going to happen if you attempt suicide and you live but you have done serious damage to yourself.  Then you'd have to live with that.

I don't know you, but I feel a bond with you and I really do care.  Please don't do anything to yourself.

If you'd like to talk more but not on the boards e-mail me bdline@sbcglobal.net  I'd love to continue chatting with you. 

Please stay with us.  Barbara

April 19, 2006, 2:36 am CDT

COTTON

I thought I was probably the only person in the world with a sort of fear of cotton. It sends shivers up my spine to think about cotton. Glad to hear I'm not alone! hahaha

April 19, 2006, 2:42 am CDT

Never alone

Quote From: ri0tdorque

This is going to sound so silly but the last girl is the only other person I've heard of to have my phobia - cotten! I cannot stand to be near it much less touch it. I can wear it but cotton balls no way. I've always had this fear I really don't like the way it feels it's creepy.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!! I too have the phopia of cotton....mostly cotton balls!!! YUCK!! The feeling is very creepy!!! I'm glad I'm not alone! hahaha

April 19, 2006, 11:12 am CDT

fear of crossing bridges..

yes i have a fear of crossing bridges.. i live in sacramento california.. and gee everyone that comes to visit wants to see san francisco and gee that means crossing the bay bridge.. and i do it with white knuckles all the way.. now i know where my fear comes from a child hood thing but in 86 i went into the city and was so frightened crossing the bay bridge i was doing 35 mph in the fast lane lol and on a sunday evening at that.. i really made some people angry with me.. but looking back at it i had the feeling that God was telling me something cuz shortly after my trip the earthquake occured and gee what happened oh the bay bridge came down.. so do i have a right to my phobia or not.. i think i do but i still go to san francisco when company comes to visit.. as much as i hate the feeling of crossing thoes bridges..  

emrldsonly in sacramento..  

April 19, 2006, 11:59 am CDT

Just afraid

I was raped when I was a teenager and the only thing that brings me to jump or have my insides jump and my heart in my throat is when I hear a knife clicking open. My ex-husband loved to do it and now my new husband of 3 years thinks if he does it over and over i will get over it and maybe it would if I didn't get thrown back on that night.  That is something you just don't get over ever.   They never got convicted and we live in a small town so you can imagine......  

April 20, 2006, 12:47 am CDT

Small round things?

I honestly can't think of a reason why I'm so scared of small round objects.  Maybe it's not so much a fear as it is a disgust of the things. If I notice a button, or a single m&m on a table or on the floor, it seriously makes me feel ill.  I try not to notice them by just looking away and hope someone moves it, or I have to ask someone to move it for me. Of course i've been teased tremendously about this, and trust me, I know how rediculous this sounds.  But it's been this way since I can remember. I've had a couple of theories, but i'm not sure of any of them. I can button my shirts, I eat m&m's all the time, there's just different rules to my phobia I guess.

April 20, 2006, 9:36 pm CDT

riding in a car

I have the most upsetting anxiety attacks when I'm riding in cars, especially on the highway. I can drive myself fine, but not in the city around overpasses or bridges that are narrow or have  overhangs. 

I'm not sure how this started, but my friends have diagnosed it as a control issue.  The best way I can describe it is that there are a LOT of really stupid people out there and I don't like the idea of them behind a ton of metal going 70 mph. 

It is so crippling, I can't really describe it, but the other day I drove myself about 50 miles for the first time in almost 2 years. I had to go over the Missouri River and was doing fine until about 1/2 way through. Then I started hyperventillating and almost blacked out. 

I feel like having this fear makes me unsafe even if I really wasn't before. I am constantly doing involuntary movements when someone else is driving. It's very distracting for the driver. I jooke and say that I need a driver's ed car with the extra brake pedal... my husband says it would be worn out by now. 

April 21, 2006, 11:42 am CDT

"Afraid"

Dr. Phil, I think you were off the mark (way off) on how you "helped" the wife who was afraid at scarry movies.  I too am scared at those movies/shows.  If someone in my family wants to see them they can either go together, go with friends to those movies, or, for that matter go by themselves.  This applies to shows on TV also. 

I (and the wife on your show) know that the movies are not real, but that doesn't decrease the fact that they scarry to some (me).   

If the husband wants the wife to watch them with him, I suggest she find something she wants to do or watch (preferably that the husband hates or at least really doesn't want to watch) and the both of them then sit and watch that movie/program or play that game or whatever! 

There is nothing wrong with being afraid and not wanting to watch a scarry movie or TV program! 

April 23, 2006, 2:03 pm CDT

Hmmmm It seems...

Quote From: d_loehr

Dr. Phil, I think you were off the mark (way off) on how you "helped" the wife who was afraid at scarry movies.  I too am scared at those movies/shows.  If someone in my family wants to see them they can either go together, go with friends to those movies, or, for that matter go by themselves.  This applies to shows on TV also. 

I (and the wife on your show) know that the movies are not real, but that doesn't decrease the fact that they scarry to some (me).   

If the husband wants the wife to watch them with him, I suggest she find something she wants to do or watch (preferably that the husband hates or at least really doesn't want to watch) and the both of them then sit and watch that movie/program or play that game or whatever! 

There is nothing wrong with being afraid and not wanting to watch a scarry movie or TV program! 

The two times I directly questioned Dr. Phil about his response and once about an article he has posted they seem to disappear. Surely both sides of the road are looked at? I've been WELL within the posting guidelines and alas they don't show up. 

I had originally responded to  

And implied he, Dr. Phil, downplayed this woman's fear, yet plugged five minutes worth of his spotlight in Scary Movie, how interesting it never hit the board lol. 

At any rate I'll just keep retyping it because I'm not a fan of being unreasonably censored.  My thought was the very same as the other poster in regards to the response this woman received, as though she is a child, in his, Dr. Phil's, explanation that "it's just Hollywood, it isn't real".  Oh let me also re-add that I stated I was a bit horrified when he called the guest "Whiny".....Not very tactful or insightful with the topic at hand. 

Now my own fear, again lol, I am terrified of the dark and as I said before if my husband decided to scare me for "fun" as this man does his wife, I'd not be so nice about it.  Now my questions to Dr. Phil reposted....Do you suggest that since I fear the dark I force myself to sleep in it, because even though I acknowledge it's a loss of control it terrifies me even when I know nothing is there?  Do I wean myself off the night lights slowly or just cold turkey?  Do I not realize the bogyman doesn't exist? (oh ya he does and he has a name, first, last and middle).  Am I being whiny? 

April 28, 2006, 8:10 pm CDT

Scary Movie 4 (Reply)

Quote From: scary5

Hey!  You really need to go see Dr. Phil In Scary Movie 4! I am the girl on the show afraid of Scary Movies and went to the priemere! I thought Dr. Phils part (it opened the movie) was the best part! He actually was very funny and was a good actor! He made fun of himself in this movie and was very convincing! You wont be disapointed! We loved it!

Hello   

Thanks for the reply. It was good seeing you on the show. Remember its just all acting...   

I did go and see Scary Movie 4. Aside from the movie, I found ticket prices amazingly expensive. I paid 9.00 for my tickey plus popcorn was 6.00 a bag and small cokes started about 4 bucks. Lets just leave out the combo meals. That is just crazy, but worth it.   

Dr. Phil did play a very good part with SHAQ. The only thing was that I wish it lasted longer, or Dr. Phil come in in other parts of the film. That would have been really awesome if he was in the movie more.  Maybe we'll see him again in another movie .  

The movie was funny in other ways. The little girl being swooshed off by the car door, and she was swooshed off in other parts of the film which was FUNNY. The Guy in the backyard cutting Duraflame Logs. The funny part of that was that those logs are cheap and already pre-cut in store, and that fool was out back  cutting them with an axe .  

See Ya  

Brian  

First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next | Last