Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 11, 2006, 10:46 am CDT

Aliens

Quote From: trndolvr

Okay, I was recently on the Dr Phil show because of my fear of aliens....it airs today.  So now I have a new fear....I AM SCARED TO DEATH about the show!  While I am definatelys cared of aliens and the thought terrifies me, I know that everyone is going to totally think I am a freak when they see the show.  Helps to hear what some of you are afraid of though....

I'm sure you did just fine. There are many people that believe that aliens are a real possibility.  (Now I'm assuming you mean visitors from outer-space and not visitors from foreign countries?)  Well, I look forward to seeing the show today.  I've been in Dr. Phil's audience three times and about to go for a fourth time later this month.  Believe me, I think most people are caring and sympathetic.   

For what it's worth, I have never had an "alien" experience, but a former co-worker (a technical engineer, so not prone to flights of fantasy) believes he had been abducted by aliens.  I don't discount anything and don't believe anything until it smacks me in the face.  I guess I'm an informed skeptic.    I think they may be out there just based on the number of studies, shows, fiction, etc.  It's totally feasible.  In fact, I used to work at a very prestigious government research institution (which will remain nameless) that published confidential studies on UFOs.  I was cleaning out files and ran across on of those papers just the other day.   

April 11, 2006, 10:46 am CDT

What I fear most

What I fear more than anything is WASPS.  I have worked in an old VA Hospital on the top floor for the past 20 years.  Every spring and fall, I can be working at my computer or on the lab bench and they will swoop down in my face and scare me to death.  I startle very easily, and everytime I just freak out.  I scream, I start breathing fast and I run out of there.  I don't know why I do this, but I think 

possibly it could be due to a scary incident when I was a child involving a hornets nest.  Here it is  

spring again and I am dreading it...... 

April 11, 2006, 10:48 am CDT

Fear of Heights

Quote From: saemae

I have another bizarre fear (possibly.)  I have no problem with heights in general.  I love roller coasters, I like to hike, I love the view from the Blue Ridge Parkway ( a long, heavily travelled road that goes through the NC mountains.)  Here's the problem.  If I'm standing at a great height and I look down, I love it.  I love the views, I love the colors.  If I look UP at a great height, I get dizzy, my heart starts racing and I have to grab something for support.  Has anyone else ever had this, and would you classify this as a fear, because I don't feel necessarily scared, just temporarily out of sorts.  Just wondering.
Yes!!  I get that looking up when I am in a very spacious cathedral, or an opera house.  Or any kind of large architectural structure.  (But I also get the acrophobia thing when looking down.)

April 11, 2006, 10:57 am CDT

04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Quote From: buckleypat

I'm sure you did just fine. There are many people that believe that aliens are a real possibility.  (Now I'm assuming you mean visitors from outer-space and not visitors from foreign countries?)  Well, I look forward to seeing the show today.  I've been in Dr. Phil's audience three times and about to go for a fourth time later this month.  Believe me, I think most people are caring and sympathetic.   

For what it's worth, I have never had an "alien" experience, but a former co-worker (a technical engineer, so not prone to flights of fantasy) believes he had been abducted by aliens.  I don't discount anything and don't believe anything until it smacks me in the face.  I guess I'm an informed skeptic.    I think they may be out there just based on the number of studies, shows, fiction, etc.  It's totally feasible.  In fact, I used to work at a very prestigious government research institution (which will remain nameless) that published confidential studies on UFOs.  I was cleaning out files and ran across on of those papers just the other day.   

Thanks, that helps....Im hoping it wont be as bad as Im making it out to be.  I mean really, how many people watch the show....about a billion or so!  hehe 

April 11, 2006, 11:19 am CDT

Homelessness

When I was 2 and a half, I watched the newsreels about the partition of India and Pakistan and the people fleeing the two parts of what used to be India. The newsreels were horrific and I remember asking  my mother where the people were going. She said, "They don't know." I asked why they didn't just go home, and she whispered (in the movie theater), "They don't have a home." Well, ever since then I have had an almost irrational fear of being homeless. Whenever I see refugees on TV I get sick and have to turn away. I have feared all my life (I'm 61) that I would end up homeless. It hasn't happened yet but I am still frightened by it.

April 11, 2006, 11:47 am CDT

me

Im so scared of spiders and insects

April 11, 2006, 11:48 am CDT

Small People

I am very afraid of midgets or small people. When I was about 5 years old I followed a man around the store because he was so tiny and cute. He was all dressed up in  adult clothes and shopping alone. I hid behind clothes racks just to watch him, well he finally had enough and turned to me and hollered. I have never been the same since that day.  I practically  hyperventilate when ever I do see some one like that.  I get flushed and my ears ring... it is a somewhat funny story but i get the chills at the thought of  being around one.

April 11, 2006, 12:06 pm CDT

04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Let's see....I'm pretty much afraid of driving. I have had my learner's licence for years now and I just can't seem to complete to get my driver's licence. You see, I was hit by a drunk driver when I was 4 years old and I landed under the wheel so everytime I drive, I get scared that I am going to hit someone of even hit something and hurt myself or someone else in the vehicle. Any ideas out there as to what I can do to over come my fears and finally get my driver's licence??

April 11, 2006, 12:06 pm CDT

Cotton balls and Styrofoam

I could not believe there is another person out there who doesn't like cotton. Everyone I know makes fun of me because of my bizarre hatred. Once, someone played a practical joke on me by filling my backpack with cotton balls. I reached in for a pencil and freaked out. My children have to remove the cotton balls from aspirin bottles. I also dislike styrofoam. If I receive a package with any kind of styrofoam, my husband or kids have to open it for me. I freak out at the sound of styrofoam crumbling. I don't know when it started, but I have hated both things for as long as I can remember.

April 11, 2006, 12:15 pm CDT

What to do when your phobia is doctors?!

Ok, you can go to a doctor for help with anything physical or mental but what is a person to do when their phobia is of doctors, nurses, hospitals (anything medical)???  I have had this forever and it has kept me from seeing a doctor in 15 years for anything.  I am not some weirdo freak.  I take very good care of myself with nutrition, exercise...I am just an otherwise normal wife and mom to a teen.  Yet I have secretly lived with this phobia of doctors forever.  I can't even pick up the phone to make an appointment.  Why???  What should I do? 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last