Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 10, 2006, 6:00 pm CDT

Fears

Quote From: juliebgg

i wouldn't get on a plane for many years.  I always felt claustrophobic.  I got over it by trying a short trip (1 and a half hours) Once I saw I could handle it, I became okay about flying and now will go anywhere!!!!

I used to hate to fly.  I think it has to do with being out of our "comfort zone".  I'd get on that concourse and want to flee.  Once I started taking regular trips to Sacramento, I realized it was the same as getting on a bus.  I think it's the thing in us that realizes we lack control.   

April 10, 2006, 6:02 pm CDT

Fears

Quote From: pnl_36

Well i take it you do not live in America
Hey, I was born here and have lived here my whole life (Southern California -- Los Angeles) and I'M scared of Americans. 

April 10, 2006, 6:13 pm CDT

Me too!

Quote From: hmeow29

My worst fear is tornado's. Ever sinse my mother went through a F5 in 1998, I've been so afraid of storms. I saw the after math and knowing that the neighbors I grew up with died on my mothers front porch steps, and in a tree in the front yard. I just can't deal with storms. If I know we're going to have bad weather, I start to freak out and worry. It's gotten to the point I have to take nerve pills to make it through, and then it's through tears and prayers. Last night we had bad storms and I did'nt go to bed until 3 in the morning. I'll start twitching and rocking and crying. It's a terrible thing when a almost 35 year old women reduces herself to utter misery to make it through. If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with it, please let me know. 

Mary from Alabama 

I am also terrified of tornados. If the sky even darkens I just about get panic attacks! We actually moved away from Texas because of me.  Just wanted you to knnow you aren't the only one. 

Steph 

April 10, 2006, 6:17 pm CDT

Fears

I am so scared of mice, rats, oppossums...well, scared it still not really fitting what I feel about it. It is more like PETRIFIED of them. I'm afraid of death, failure, being "financially embarassed" like I am now. LOL

April 10, 2006, 6:30 pm CDT

04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

My worst fear is tornado's. Ever sinse my mother went through a F5 in 1998, I've been so afraid of storms. I saw the after math and knowing that the neighbors I grew up with died on my mothers front porch steps, and in a tree in the front yard. I just can't deal with storms. If I know we're going to have bad weather, I start to freak out and worry. It's gotten to the point I have to take nerve pills to make it through, and then it's through tears and prayers. Last night we had bad storms and I did'nt go to bed until 3 in the morning. I'll start twitching and rocking and crying. It's a terrible thing when a almost 35 year old women reduces herself to utter misery to make it through. If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with it, please let me know. 

Mary from Alabama 

I only  saw an F2, the one that went through Salt Lake City 7 years ago, and I still have nightmares.

There is something about that dark swirling cloud that seems almost evil...the weird thing is I lived in wisconsin and a child and lived through many tornados and tornado warnings and watches and high winds....but actually seeing this one only a couple blocks away was just too much! LOL

April 10, 2006, 6:31 pm CDT

04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Quote From: kinksfan

First of all, I'd like to appologize.  I have a very silly fear.  I'm scared of America and Americans.  Sorry, Americans.  I feel like a Freak.
So..are you scared of yourself? Or do you not consider yourself an american? Is this some silly attempt to start a political debate?

April 10, 2006, 8:07 pm CDT

I feel like a Cockney trapped in a Canadian Body

Before I get into any more Hot Water with anybody else in North America, let me explain myself a little more.  I was born in Canada.  I feel British.  In fact, I feel like a Londoner who's trapped in a Canadian Body.  I'll explain my Past to teach everyone.  And I'm not looking for Pity.  I'm going to be bluntly honest.  I was picked on by a handfull of Americans who've made jibes about my Cockney Accent and my distinguished Body Language.  Even by my own Cousin, exactly a year after my Parents were telling me not to talk through my Nose.  You can all call my silly, if you want, but this is my Matrix.  My Reality.  I'm working on ridding myself of my Pathological Fear.  I'm even close friends with an American and to me, that's a Mammoth accomplishment.  I don't want Pity, I just want a chance to speak my Mind.

April 10, 2006, 8:59 pm CDT

Me too!

Quote From: alleyg

When I get up at night, which happens pretty often between the kids and my bladder, part of me is absolutly convinced that there are Zombies hiding in all the dark corners.  

Now, I could turn on the lights, but then the zombies would know that I know that they are there. These zombies only attack if you notice them. 

So, I have to go about my 'business' in the dark, absolutly convinced that a zombie is there, just out of sight. 

I know this is absolutly delusional, but I also absolutly believe it.  

Weird, huh? 

Okay, I can laugh at this because I think the 'zombie' thing is silly, but deep down I have the same irrational fear. For me, it's the vague 'thing' that wants to hurt me. I blame it on reading too much Stephen King at a young age, but it's really not his fault. I have this crazy 'If you think about it too much it'll get you' mentality, and it truely freaks me out sometimes. For example, when I'm blow-drying my hair, I'm constantly (a) looking in the mirror (for the ghosts behind me that I can ONLY see in the mirror), (b) checking the bathroom door for the evil comiong to get me, (c) eyeballing the sink drain for the 'finger from hell' and god forbid I've left the toilet seat up. Let's not even talk about what's behind the shower door... thank goodness for the semi-see-thru plastic! When my heart begins to race, I tell myself that if I freak out, they will come. The bad things only get you if you let them, after all. I know this is completely irrational, yet it still gets my adrenaline flowing. And the strangest thing? My guy goes out of town EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND and *gasp* I have absolutely NO PROBLEM going to sleep in my dark (and spooky) bedroom when he's gone! I can totally sympathize with your 'rationale' that if you turn on the lights the zombies will be visible and therefore able to attack. And all I've got to say is... what's WRONG with us? :)  

-Sympathetic and there with ya! 

April 10, 2006, 9:18 pm CDT

Short of knocking youself out...

Mary from Alabama 

There's not much you CAN do. At least, not without help to get over the fear. I have the same terrifying fear (especially since Katrina ripped through my hometown) and I used to comfort myself by hiding under the coffee table and nervously watching the news. But at some point you've got to realize that this storm is much bigger than you and you have three choices. Get out, get sick, or get over it. Get out: leave. Get sick: worry till you're so bent out of shape that you won't bathe for four days for fear of being struck by lightning. Get over it: realize that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING YOU CAN DO to stop the storm. Realize that even if you stand out in the middle of your yard, drenched and scared, eyeballing the trees to see which will fall onto your house... YOU CANNOT STOP IT. Worrying will get you nowhere. Find your god, pray, and live every day as if it were your last. Because, if you have no regrets in life, what do you have to be afraid of?

April 10, 2006, 9:25 pm CDT

Repeat after me...

Quote From: mmhmmm

I have an irrational fear of sharks.  I dont even have to be near water to be frightened.  When I see a picture of a shark while turning pages in a book,  I will scream out (usually obscenities, which I cant seem to control, lol) and throw the book, I'll even have a hard time picking the book back up to put it away for fear knowing that there is a shark in there and I'm "touching" it.  A few times I have lost the remote control and had to change the TV station by hand and have flipped past a shark.  Being right up there next to it has panicked me so much that i fly over backwards and yell out loud enough for my husband to come running in the room to see what's wrong.  I had told a friend about this fear and he kinda laughed and started humming the "jaws" theme, I laughed and told him to stop...but I was more than serious for him to stop because I could feel the sharks swarming me.  The worst part is that I can't close my eyes in the shower.  I see a shark heading straight towards me with its mouth open getting ready to take a bite out of my legs...and again...i yell out and sometimes thrash to get it away from me.  I've had this fear as long as I can remember.  It never goes away.  It controls me.

Okay, repeat after me... Sharks live in the ocean. A shark cannot get me if I am not in the ocean. My SHOWER is not an ocean. My shower is not even big enough to hold a shark that could eat me. And if one happens to get in, I resolve to rub soap in his eyes and beat him with the backscrubber. I will slash his throat with my schick. 

I hope this helps. Good luck! :) 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last