Message Boards

Topic : Things That Worked For Us

Number of Replies: 232
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:51:05 pm
Author : dataimport
Has one method of discipline worked really well for you? Don't keep it a secret - share it with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 8, 2009, 4:41 pm CST

Things That Worked For Us

I've been watching Kath And Kim on NBC and I think this should be must watching for how not to raise your kids!  The daughter gets everything she wants, doesn't work, has no education, no interests-- never had to do anything!  Yes, it's funny but it's scary cause her character is miserable because she has no sense of direction, either.  I know i feel the desire to placate my kids but this show keeps nagging in the back of my brain-- anyone else watch this??  Feel that way??

August 3, 2009, 1:24 pm CDT

Tough life for little girl!

I have a nine year old little girl who for the most part is very sweet and compassionate and loves her mom. Her father is ocd and plays some head games. He makes up for relationships with material things. She's realized this. We were divorced when she was 3. I have since remarried to a WONDERFUL man. She is closer to him than her father. We have joint custody although I have her 95% of the time, not that I am complaining. I have so much trouble with her appreciating things or realizing that money doesnt grow on trees. I choose to only work part time so I can have her more. This straps us financially. Believe me, she hurts for nothing. However, her attitude is AWEFUL. I know most of it is "emotional girl stuff" but I am the parent and I don't want to tolerate it. It's rolling eyes when asking for help etc, anything NOT FOR HER or not agreeable, just sets it off It is aweful. I have had 5 back surgeries and a hysterectomy since 06 and yet I still push and push to do things for her. I am tired of having to remind myself I am the parent. I am tired of the back talk and the attitude. When I was her age I NEVER and if I did I was hit with whatever!!! I don't want to do this. She can't even pick out clothes without going into a meltdown. She has trouble making decisions. I totally understand this because when I was with her father I couldn't either. He controlled me and made me feel every decision was wrong, on top of his ocd!! I just try to reinforce the positive when she is here, but school is about to start and I can't keep going through this stuff every day. Any advice would be great.

First | Prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next Page | Last Page