Message Boards

Topic : 05/02 Missing

Number of Replies: 183
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 27, 2006, 07:08:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil shines a light on missing children. Some are taken by strangers, but more frequently a parent is the one to snatch them -- too often with terrifying results. The search for two missing girls takes a Dr. Phil investigator inside a seldom-seen religious community where worshippers live what some call "a simpler way of life." Follow this story of child abduction by a father -- now a fugitive of the law -- who is living on the run with his two daughters, while their mother desperately tries to find them. Then, imagine not seeing your children for 10 years. Your 3-year-old is now 13, your 6-year-old now drives, and your 8-year-old is graduating high school – and you’re missing it all. John Clark is living this nightmare. Find out what happened and why his ex-wife is now wanted by the FBI. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 2, 2006, 2:15 pm CDT

HELP FOR THE KIDS

Though shows like this one are extremely disturbing, i truly believe that more should be done. Though these families are an extreme example of the horrors of divorce & the effects on children..i believe that ALL children are hurt by divorce. I've not yet seen parents able to fully function in their "child's best interest" & the courts don't neccessarily help. I don't have any good answers to the problem, perhaps marriage counseling PRIOR to marriage & DEFINITELY DURING A DIVORCE. With the divorce rate as high as it is and children being the major victims..i would hope that more shows like this are broadcast and that more "couples" would think twice before both marrying and divorcing. Perhaps your next book, Dr phil, should be PRECISELY on the topic of divorce.,,for the sake of our children.

May 2, 2006, 2:33 pm CDT

Watching the episode now...

...and it struck me very strongly...this is one of my personal problems with religion in general. Every religion believes in a power that is above the government and laws. Now, thankfully, MOST religions and religious people do not ignore the laws of the land. But there are some that do.

It worries me, it makes me scared that there are people out there who will just decided that they know better then the law and they feel righteous in doing so...in breaking the law.

May 2, 2006, 2:39 pm CDT

Abducted Children

Dear Dr. Phil:  

When my husband and I were contemplating getting married he received a telephone call from his ex-wife where he worked in 1993. She informed him that if he thought of ever marrying me that she would take his two boys away. My husband did not believe that she would actually do this. My husband was incorrect. During the entire summer of 1995 my husband did not know where his two boys were taken. His two sons at the time were age 10 and 8.5 years old.  

While my husband and I dated since early 1991, he was not allowed to call his own children who lived in the same area. My husband's ex-wife made their two boys pay her 10 cents for five minutes on the phone with their own father. She charged them more money if they talked to their own father longer than five minutes which was timed. It was not a long distance call. The New York State family court upheld my husband's ex-wife's choice to move the children away without any explanation. They just disappeared. Family court is biased to allow the abduction of marital children as long as it is the mother who is doing it.  

This is my husband's second marriage to me. His ex-wife has been married and divorced three times since they divorced in 1987.  

The children were caught in the middle and were legally taken away. These two boys were abducted. No one paid for the consequences but the children.  

It makes me upset that on television it is the man who abducts children. Few shows seldom investigate the great extent that the woman and mother takes an active role in preventing visitation by the father.  

Because a man regularly and consistently pays child support on time does not guarantee visitation. There is always an excuse. There is always a change. There is always something that makes it more and more difficult for men to see their own children. Some just give up the constant battle yet they are typically considered the "bad" guys. Father's are important in a child's life.  

I know several women who do this and it is wrong, wrong, wrong. It is wrong for the children. It ultimately hurts the kids.  

May 2, 2006, 2:51 pm CDT

Men have "NO RIGHTS"

I was separated from my "x" and my children back in 1978 and the Ontario courts granted me vistation rights.  In 1982 when I went to pick up my children they were no where to be found and no one would help me locate them.  I had to hire a private investigator to locate them in B.C.  I flew back and forth attempting to stay in touch with my children, I made all of my financial committments and the last I heard about the kids they had changed their names.

May 2, 2006, 2:56 pm CDT

Missing girls and Hutterites

I certainly do hope these girls are found and the other missing kids that were aired.  There is a very large Hutterite colony in Great Falls Montana.  Which is why I am posting this message.  I certainly do hope that the FBI agent involved is broadening his search this far.  Although they may very well be very good people I don't believe in their beliefs nor the fact that they would harbor parents who have taken their children against court orders or the fact that they would keep any kids in their cult against their will.

May 2, 2006, 2:56 pm CDT

check your facts about hutterites and education

Quote From: judyblue22

I live in a rural area of Alberta and there are Hutterite and Mennonite colonies all around this area.  I would encourage anyone who is interested in living in a religious colony to join the Mennonites but the Hutterites are misogynous and refuse to educate their children.  They are powerless and completely under the control of the colony because of their upbringing and lack of education. 

you state in your message that hutterites refuse to educate their children; i am guessing that you have never heard of BUHEP, the teacher education program and Brandon U that was specifically designed to educate HUTTERITE Teacher's to teach at colony schools. oh and my brother and sister-in-law both colony folk are well educated and my mother, who has her master's in education from Berkley(also huterite) who taught in the colony school until she retired a few years ago. turning away from the world does not mean lack of education, as evidenced by the highschool and college gradutes who return to their colonies to teach the next generation of kids. Rather it means exercising the right to choose when and how your children are exposed to potential harmful issues. as the mother of a three year, i wish tha i could ensure that she would not exposed to the harmful elements of public education today. while i do not follow my parents and brothers in the hutterite lifestyle, i long for the sense of security, peace and safety of the colony.   

May 2, 2006, 2:58 pm CDT

Know what these people are going through

we too are involved in a similar situation. Our daughter was married to a very mentally abusive guy. When the military caught wind that he was planning to kill our daughter they helped her leave him. Yet before she could drive across country with our 2 small grandchildren he had acquired custody of them. This has come down to a money battle as his family has plently as ours does not as my husband is disabled. We have been told by the courts and lawyers that we should just give up this battle. This is not  an option. We will do whatever it takes and fight this battle to the end. NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES !!!! 

May 2, 2006, 3:04 pm CDT

How do these parents stay in control

I have to give these parents all the credit in the world to be able to stay in control as they did under these incredibly difficult situations. The mom that was shown with the missing girls, I don't know how she stayed so calm. I think that I would have clobbered the guy making demands on me to get MY kids back!!! UNBELIEVABLE!! I hope so much that they are able to find the kids so that the parents can get some piece of mind.  

When I was going through my divorce my ex time and again threatened me that he would take my daughter and I would never see her again. I remember feeling the pain that these parents must be feeling. At the age of 7 I taught my daughter how to call 911 and ask to speak to mommy if she ever missed me. It brought such pain and fear to me...and then the anger.  

Please Dr. Phil, help these parents find their kids. I would really like to see the preacher man get a good blast from somebody. Isn't he doing anything illegal that he could be punished for? He just got me crazy, in the name of religion! Malarky!!! Keep a mom from her kids. He's got some case.  

I don't normally write anything but this is just crazy!! Dr. Phil, please help them.  

May 2, 2006, 3:06 pm CDT

05/02 Missing

Quote From: laci_mae

It seems that John and the FBI agent could get a subpoena for the evil grandparents' phone records. 
I totally agree, especially since she's a wanted person!  If only life were like the movies sometimes!

May 2, 2006, 3:09 pm CDT

I can't believe what I heard!

I am  totally in shock over what Mr. Hoover said on Dr Phil today.   How dare he put a condition on the mother to help her  get her kids back!!!   I am sure he knows where that monster has those girls hidden, and I think he should be arrested for obstruction of justice and harboring a fugitive.  I am just as sure that the woman's father from the second case knows where his daughter is and how to get in touch with her.  He could'nt even look at the investigator or his ex son in law when he talked to them, he just kept looking down.  Shame on everyone involved for keeping those children from the parents who love them.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last