Message Boards

Topic : 05/10 Finding Allene and Mollie, Part 2

Number of Replies: 912
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 05, 2006, 07:02:03 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
A tense family drama continues. Dr. Phil sent private investigator Harold Copus thousands of miles through three countries, including the jungles of Belize, to find 15-year-old Mollie and 13-year-old Allene who were abducted by their father one year ago. Now, join the tearful reunion between the girls and their mother, Michelle. Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Michelle and her husband, Michael. Find out why he says, “You could cut the tension with a knife.” What happens when Michael is confronted about the kidnapping? Next, hear from Hutterite religious leader Peter Hoover who was instrumental in bringing Michael and the girls back to America. But was he honest the first time he was on the show? Did he aid and abet Michael in accomplishing the abductions? Then, follow the girls as they go back home. How will they deal with returning to American teenage life? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 5, 2006, 1:52 pm CDT

05/10 Finding Allene and Mollie, Part 2

This just sounds so fan-ishly superficial, but doesn't Dr Phil seem sexy when he tells the Dad that he is choosing to tape the session. So butch :)

May 5, 2006, 7:12 pm CDT

Quote From: judyblue22

This just sounds so fan-ishly superficial, but doesn't Dr Phil seem sexy when he tells the Dad that he is choosing to tape the session. So butch :)
HAHAHAHHAHAHA TRUE! I have always thought Dr Phil is sexy. I like bright and pragmantic men. Robin is a lucky woman.

May 7, 2006, 5:53 am CDT

My Hope

Allene and Mollie love both their parents and it seems to me that both parents are playing tug of war with these precious girls.  It is my hope that Michele and Michael can find a way to each be in their girls lives and share the joys of parenting them without all this conflict.  The girls are older now and will certainly be moving towards independence in their thoughts and deeds and will choose what lifestyle they follow.  Michelle and Michael, those girls need you to act like parents.  Stop putting your precious daughters in the middle please!  Children are a precious gifts from God to both of you.  Be careful how you treat God's gift to you! 

May 7, 2006, 12:35 pm CDT

Divorcing Parents Read!

I hope the moderators of the Dr Phil board will allow me to refer its readers to new research on how tug o war between parents can wreck their children's futures.   We must reform the family law system that are enabling these tug o wars between parents and make parents aware of the effects they are having on their children's lives and the future of America.  As long as the courts allow it, children will be victims.   

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1769435,00.html

http://www.gsr.gov.uk/professional_development/events.asp 

May 7, 2006, 12:40 pm CDT

Quote From: judyblue22

Hahaha!  I wonder if he ever uses that tone with Robin?

May 7, 2006, 12:58 pm CDT

Curious

I'm waiting to watch this episode with a knot in my stomach.  One of the daughters answering "I don't know" when asked if she wants to live with her mother is so typical of these religious groups.  They paint a picture that they're special, they're better than the rest of the world.  The rest of the world is full of bad people, dirty people, people with no morals.  They did a good job at brainwashing these girls. Trailers are often misleading, it  could be I'm interepreting it completely wrong.  (I hope I am)!  It just strikes a chord with me, because I remember being trapped into that thinking when I was a kid.  Looking at it now, from the outside in, I find it deeply disturbing.   I'm so out of it now, that sometimes when I talk to family members I'm shocked at how deeply entwined in this way of thinking they still are.

May 7, 2006, 6:26 pm CDT

brainwashing

Quote From: atzd12

I'm waiting to watch this episode with a knot in my stomach.  One of the daughters answering "I don't know" when asked if she wants to live with her mother is so typical of these religious groups.  They paint a picture that they're special, they're better than the rest of the world.  The rest of the world is full of bad people, dirty people, people with no morals.  They did a good job at brainwashing these girls. Trailers are often misleading, it  could be I'm interepreting it completely wrong.  (I hope I am)!  It just strikes a chord with me, because I remember being trapped into that thinking when I was a kid.  Looking at it now, from the outside in, I find it deeply disturbing.   I'm so out of it now, that sometimes when I talk to family members I'm shocked at how deeply entwined in this way of thinking they still are.

I challenge the idea that these girls are being brainwashed.  Your use of the word brainwashing communicates your disapproval of the influence of a religious group that you think to be illegitimate. I agree that religious groups can have a heavy influence over their members but the use of the word brainwashing suggest that powerful means of manipulation are being used to control. The brethren group the oldest girl joined happens to believe in what is called believers baptism. What that means is that one does not become baptized and become a member of the church until they reach the age of accountability and can make the choice freely on their own. Often times, even though the children have been raised in this environment all of their life, they never become members. Not a very good job of brainwashing . Are the children brainwashed by their parents and religion? No. Are they influenced? Yes. 

May 7, 2006, 7:35 pm CDT

Quote From: wintrywood

Allene and Mollie love both their parents and it seems to me that both parents are playing tug of war with these precious girls.  It is my hope that Michele and Michael can find a way to each be in their girls lives and share the joys of parenting them without all this conflict.  The girls are older now and will certainly be moving towards independence in their thoughts and deeds and will choose what lifestyle they follow.  Michelle and Michael, those girls need you to act like parents.  Stop putting your precious daughters in the middle please!  Children are a precious gifts from God to both of you.  Be careful how you treat God's gift to you! 

I share the same hope. I think it is possible for both to be in their lives in a positive way. This whole thing could have been prevented if both parents would have realized that the girls need both of them. I hope Mike realizes at some point that, no matter what his convictions are, the girls need a mother. I believe both parents had good intentions but this thing just got way out of control. I’m optimistic though. Even though the girls have been through a lot, I think they will be okay. Their experience with the brethren church and the Hutterites may have given them more stability than they have ever had in their life. The values, love and support they were given will be a part of who they are for the rest of their lives.  

May 8, 2006, 1:43 am CDT

Disagree

Quote From: jaider

I challenge the idea that these girls are being brainwashed.  Your use of the word brainwashing communicates your disapproval of the influence of a religious group that you think to be illegitimate. I agree that religious groups can have a heavy influence over their members but the use of the word brainwashing suggest that powerful means of manipulation are being used to control. The brethren group the oldest girl joined happens to believe in what is called believers baptism. What that means is that one does not become baptized and become a member of the church until they reach the age of accountability and can make the choice freely on their own. Often times, even though the children have been raised in this environment all of their life, they never become members. Not a very good job of brainwashing . Are the children brainwashed by their parents and religion? No. Are they influenced? Yes. 

When a child is "influenced" by a religion to the point that they are willing to give up living with their mother, then I would call it brainwashed.  These girls look too young to me to make such major life decisions.

May 8, 2006, 5:54 am CDT

About Molly and her sister

I may be opening a can of worms  here but I can not help how passionate I am about this subject.I feel there should be some kind Of religious police!  

We talk about abuse of children,what is worse than a brain washing cult!  

My grandfather always taught me there was only one God and  he or she was loving god.  

Since I have grown up I feel I don't understand how some groups can actually brain wash people but I know how it works!  

If you cant feel your own feelings and speak what you feel in your heart how is this a religion?I am surprised it is legal to allow children to be treated this way and I'm surprised it's legal.Especially those studs with more than 1 wife.Its illegal to hit a child in the classroom or say the Lords prayer ,why can young children have religion shoved down there throats at home when its not religion but  wrong moral teaching and abuse!Teaching people everyone else but their religion are bad people is abuse no matter how you put it.  

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last