Message Boards

Topic : 05/17 Brandon Behind Bars

Number of Replies: 431
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 12, 2006, 10:06:38 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil revisits the story that captivated America. At 21 years of age, Brandon was immersed in drug addiction, prone to violent outbursts that scared his family and left them worried that wouldn’t live to see 22. Dr. Phil conducted an intervention and followed Brandon's roller coaster ride through treatment, relapse and the struggle to get back on his feet. After a year of sobriety, the last place his family expected to see Brandon was behind bars -- but, that's exactly where his disease has taken him. Does black tar heroin have a hold on him? Dr. Phil travels to Harris County Jail in Houston, Texas to find out. He also hears Brandon reveal how a drug addict beats the system. Plus, drug addiction affects not only the user, but the entire family. See the toll it's taking on Brandon’s family and on his parents' marriage. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 13, 2006, 6:53 am CDT

On Brandon behine bars

I hope that Brandon's parents get the support that they need. I have 3 family members that suffer from Alcohol and or substance abuse.    Al-Anon helped me emotionally and even though Brandon is a drug user, Al-anon will still be helpful for the family.   

I use to feel guilty and angry about those members of the family. I use to think it was my fault....  but now I know that I did not cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it.    Al-Anon taught me to focus on myself, how to put up boundries.  I will keep Brandon and his family in my prayers. 

May 13, 2006, 6:56 am CDT

Herion addiction

I am in recovery myself, not from herion but opiates.  Relapse can be part of recovery, especially if there are consequences.  Brandon has to want to stay clean for himself, not his family.  Maybe jail is what he needs to see that it is better for him.  I know 50 year old herion addicts that have been through treatment at least 20 times.  It is the followup after treatment that is important.  It is just the way of addiction.  I look at this as a possitive, because he may learn from it the hard way.  The hard way tends to work better, unfortunately.  Especially for young people.  I am behind Brandon all the way.......

May 13, 2006, 7:01 am CDT

05/17 Brandon Behind Bars

Hi i watched the Brandon story when he was on the show and the follup show.I wasn't really shocked that Brandon hadn't changed his ways.I hope he does get a eye opener in prison to turn him around.And thats just sad to have to learn that way.And i won't be shocked if the parents or the mom are still enabling him too.Since they or she at least knew there were drugs that Brandon had in the house and did nothing at the time to stop it.I thought i saw on the followup preview for the upcoming show that Dr.Phil talks about that very thing.Will be interesting!

May 13, 2006, 7:18 am CDT

Message board for addicts and their families

http://addictionrecoveryguide.com

May 13, 2006, 7:23 am CDT

glad so many of you don't have problems

Addiction hits almsot every family. This young man is ill. Yes, he can help himself, but how many of you know diabetics that are destroying themselves with the food they eat? How many of you are smokers or love one? Addicts are sometimes addicts before they ever try their DOC. They are born that way. They are lacking something or have been abused as children. Think of your own addictions (happy hour?) before you criticize this family. How far would you go to help your own son?

May 13, 2006, 7:30 am CDT

Quote From: zimexlady

I resent having to pay for this guy's upkeep and hope he does not settle down here in my neighborhood when he is released.  

Thank God everyone does not share your opinion!!  

May 13, 2006, 7:32 am CDT

You heard the saying...

People can be handed "The World On A Platter" and still screw up. I wonder if sometimes it can hinder their "wanting" to be clean. They see everyone else trying for them but they don't exert any of their own energy into helping themself.

For what ever reason... when you try to make things easier for a person to be able to change it doesn't always help.

Is there a difference between laziness and "want to?"

May 13, 2006, 7:35 am CDT

Brandon behind Bars

I don't agree with Brandon needs to be behind bars. This will not help him. If anything it will add to his emotional problems. My son has had the same problem. Arrested at 21 of heroin possession, he has been in SAFP twice & prison once. This did not help him at all. The only thing that has help him is detox, proper mediation and his church and family. He still has nightmares and prison changed him and not for the better. The only thing prison did was made it easier for me know I would not have to deal with him or the "problem". There is such negative influence in prison. It is not the solution for a drug problem. There are usually underlying problem that draw kids to drugs and I realization I came to is that we want to blame other kids (peers) for the problem. You must realize that there is always an adult involved in the background to getting the drugs to the kids. Don't be naive. My suggestion is for him to detox and get treatment again. It can be compared to any illness that is treated and comes back. It needs treatment again not prison. Brandon is not a bad person, he is a sick person who need the adults around him to help him to overcome this, not lock him up.   

May 13, 2006, 7:59 am CDT

PREVENT DRUG USE IN MIDDLE SCHOOL

Drug use/experimentation generally begins in middle school and triples between the 6th and 8th grade. Parents must take ACTIONS to prevent drug use before it occurs. Just like we make sure our kids get good grades, which requires ACTIONS like looking at their report cards, meeting with their teachers and intervening with tutors when they need extra help, we need to put actions in to preventing drug use. On the average, there is a loss of 2 years that a kid has been using drugs before a parent first becomes aware of their drug use! We were no different. We now advocate for parents to not only TALK to their kids, but put ACTIONS like home drug testing in their homes as a way to deter and prevent drug use. Our kids are looking for a way out of the situation and we can provide it. A drug test kit in the home gives kids a REAL reason to say NO and keep their friends (both equally important!) Parents like me who have watched kids open these doors and then struggle to close them with their kids would go back and do anything to save their kid and their family from a life of drug use. Don't let these doors open in your home! Create a PLAN to PREVENT substance abuse! It won't just happen on it's own.

May 13, 2006, 8:04 am CDT

Quote From: ramorris

It is sad to think of any parent's child being bars, but sometimes the best place for an addict is as far away from the drugs as possible.  If for any reason my child or neighbor's child could not control their obsession of drugs I would much rather see them in jail, rather than  in a coffin. Sad but factual. I realize this is not cure for the problem but maybe biding time for a change.

Id like to remind people one place drugs are readily available IS jail.  By putting an addict in jail you are exposing them to huge drug availability / access (often easier and more readily available inside than out), majority of other inmates are also drug addicts, learning more criminal behaivour, meeting peers/new contacts for drugs and crime and putting them in a depressing, negative unsupportive and cold environment.  After struggling with a heroin addiction for 10 years myself, I could not think of any worse environment to be put in if rehabilitation is the real goal.  

It is also important to understand that an addiction is just that; something completely out of the control of the person afflicted. There really is no choice, its an unconcious decision and people are kept in the spiraling cycle because they are addicted, they dont have the power, strength and support to break the cycle.  Does anyone seriously believe jail is the answer and help addicts need? You and your family are in my thoughts, Brandon.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last