Message Boards

Topic : 05/17 Brandon Behind Bars

Number of Replies: 431
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 12, 2006, 10:06:38 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil revisits the story that captivated America. At 21 years of age, Brandon was immersed in drug addiction, prone to violent outbursts that scared his family and left them worried that wouldn’t live to see 22. Dr. Phil conducted an intervention and followed Brandon's roller coaster ride through treatment, relapse and the struggle to get back on his feet. After a year of sobriety, the last place his family expected to see Brandon was behind bars -- but, that's exactly where his disease has taken him. Does black tar heroin have a hold on him? Dr. Phil travels to Harris County Jail in Houston, Texas to find out. He also hears Brandon reveal how a drug addict beats the system. Plus, drug addiction affects not only the user, but the entire family. See the toll it's taking on Brandon’s family and on his parents' marriage. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 12, 2006, 7:32 pm CDT

Random Pre-show Thoughts

One of the problems with heroin (and all opiates including rx opiates) is that they have really bad withdrawal symptoms.   A lot of people continue to use them just to prevent going through withdrawals from them.    

I think people who abuse substances are already suffering.  I think they should be given treatment, and not jail.   This isn't to say that I endorse the use of substances (I don't) but that by sending some to jail for substances you are doing more harm than good.     

May 13, 2006, 3:12 am CDT

brandon's drug battle

Quote From: trigreen

One of the problems with heroin (and all opiates including rx opiates) is that they have really bad withdrawal symptoms.   A lot of people continue to use them just to prevent going through withdrawals from them.    

I think people who abuse substances are already suffering.  I think they should be given treatment, and not jail.   This isn't to say that I endorse the use of substances (I don't) but that by sending some to jail for substances you are doing more harm than good.     

I have been there, trying to withdraw from herion or all opiates is unbelievably the hardest thing to do on earth. I never went to jail, but it took me a few times to realize "this is it" and I went to get help. the doctor put me on the new drug bupenorphine and it instantly takes away the craving. But you have to withdraw first and I was on the couch for a week in extreme pain. But it was worth it, I've been opiate free for 3 years and when I think back to the things I did to get money for the stuff, I shiver.  All my hope for Brandon.

May 13, 2006, 3:41 am CDT

You Can Do it Brandon!

I really like this guy, he seems nice, I hope it works out well for him and he gets on top of his drug problem, he sure has a huge step over other addicts, he has Dr. Phil on his side. 

Best wishes from Australia Brandon! You can do it! 

May 13, 2006, 4:12 am CDT

Drug Addiction

Dear Dr Phil, 

I have written about my son, Phil, several times and when I read about Brandon, it breaks my heart!! 

My son was an alcoholic and a drug addict......he was also addicted to excitement.  He said he wished he could be happy with ordinary things.  He loved to ride motorcycles going as fast as he could; he was the life of the party; when drinking he was the loudest person in the room & sometimes got into fights because of it.   

I, too, didn't think he would live til he was 16, 21, or 30.  He lived to be 38 and only because about half of his life was spent incarcarated for driving and drug /related crimes.  Luckily, he didn't kill anyone, except almost once, in a car accident.  His life ended after he was released from work release & had been sober 1 1/2 years.  For whatever reason he relapsed and died of an overdose of methadone.  He went into cardiac arrest in a bar, was resusitated by paramedics, was taken to the hospital, was released the next morning, went home, was getting ready for church with his pants and one sock on, when his heart stopped again.  He was found 2 days later by his step daughter, who he lived with at the time.   

I never got to say goodbye.....how wonderful that would have been.....but the story isn't over!  He died on Dec 14, 2004, and I cry every day and ask "why?".  Please tell Brandon's family not to give up on him......my son during the last sober part of his life, told people how much he appreciated me visiting him in prison and spending fun time with him.  And that was his gift to me, too.  When he was in work release, I became his sponsor and we went several places together.  He gave me great love and appreciation.   I will cherish those times with him forever. 

May 13, 2006, 4:34 am CDT

Brandon Behind Bars

It is sad to think of any parent's child being bars, but sometimes the best place for an addict is as far away from the drugs as possible.  If for any reason my child or neighbor's child could not control their obsession of drugs I would much rather see them in jail, rather than  in a coffin. Sad but factual. I realize this is not cure for the problem but maybe biding time for a change.

May 13, 2006, 4:51 am CDT

Brandon

I am so sad to hear Brandon is behind bars and he is doing drugs again . I hope he can beat this he is to young to die I am rooting for you Brandon and you are in my prayers....

May 13, 2006, 5:24 am CDT

I am torn by this

I have been struggling with my son since he was 12.  He will be 16 in a couple months and he knows how to play the game.  He is not using Heroin it's pot.  I know people think that it is not addictive, but I know better, he has stolen our money when we didn't have it to spare, he lies all the time, he gets violently angry when confronted, punching doors,walls, throwing things, destroying property, He only attends school 2 or 3 days a week, even though probation says he must go EVERY day, because of this he is currently in the 8th grade when he should be in the 11th.  He has been in residential treatment twice, but was unable to complete the second stay because I was laid off and lost my insurance.  He is charming and funny and popular, until he hears the words no.  He knows what to say to manipulate his way out of everything, my heart is breaking and I just don't understand the thought process, he just refuses to to follow anyone elses rules.  He will tell you to your face as  convincing as can be, but the minute you are out of site it's a free for all.  They don't have daycare for 15 year olds.  I have a 19 year old that is responsible and trustworthy.  I know that my 15 year old thinks we hate him, that we are out to get him, he may be right we are out to get him on the right path before it's too late.  My husband and I both have an extensive history of alcholics and addicts in our families and that scares me, I am terrified that my son will too end up in jail because he refuses to learn fom his mistakes.  He is making home a hell on earth, you never know what to expect.  My heart drops every time the phone rings.  It is so hard to get away from the drugs these days esspecially for teen and pre-teens, there are no after school programs like when I was young, I was shocked that at 12 years of age my son was taking xanax and dringking, he had tried heroin, cocaine,xtc, acid, mushrooms and god knows what else.  These were all given to him by other middle school children and I'm told some parents even gave my son drugs??? The drugs are everywhere, what can you do?  You can't be with your child 24/7?  

May 13, 2006, 5:37 am CDT

Brandon Behind Bars

People addicted to heroin or any drug need and deserve treatment.  However, they first have to want to stop using.  Until that point, illegal behaviors must be dealt with, along with keeping the addict and the community safe.  An addict out of the community means one less target for drug dealers.

May 13, 2006, 6:27 am CDT

Not Again!

Please don't do any more shows on this kid.  He is spoiled and has been given so many many breaks.  Dr Phil set him up with treatment, a spot on a television show, yadda yadda yadda.  I am very tired of seeing him and his enabling family.  The first time it was OK.  Then the 2nd time, it was trite, one more time and I just won't watch that episode.  Please give other people in trouble a chance to use Dr Phil's help and resources since  Brandon seems to keep failing.  The time spent on him, could be put to use on many others that will try and succeed.   

I have enjoyed just about every other Dr Phil show and realize you won't please all of the people all of the time.  My husband and I watch the show all the time and really thank God that we are not in some of the situations that are shown to us.  The shows hit a myriad of topics which is very nice indeed.  Dr Phil also shows a human side and having Robin on once in a while is great.  She is the darling of the show.  Kudos to the staff for doing such a wonderful job too.  The show could not be such a success without you.  I love the show.  It's well done and Dr Phil is so diplomatic (most of the time LOL).   The shows are well done and really hit on some very tough situations that are real and very painful.  Some of the episodes break my heart.  The one where the woman had anger issues (I know which one?), where she was beating her son and swearing even though he was pleading for her to stop.  The one where she hurt his knee..........  Couldn't sleep for 3 nights!  I hope the children are taken away until she has help and is more in control.  These things have to be exposed.  Keep up the good work and good luck to your further success! 

Cheers, 

Bret & Laura 

May 13, 2006, 6:35 am CDT

Houston Taxpayer

I resent having to pay for this guy's upkeep and hope he does not settle down here in my neighborhood when he is released.  

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last