Message Boards

Topic : Having a Baby Has Changed My Life

Number of Replies: 78
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:58:03 pm
Author : dataimport
From bliss to total chaos, having a baby can change your life in many ways. Share your personal experience of how a baby has changed your life.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 9, 2005, 5:57 pm CDT

STEPHANIE IS MY GIFT FROM GOD...

This I know to be true in many ways. Mind you Stephanie is now 3 years old and isn't a baby anymore, but she still has changed my husband's and my life forever. 

To start with we never thought that we would ever be able to have children as my hubby had been told many years ago that it would be very unlikely that he'd be able to father any children what so ever due to have a Zero Sperm Count. I know all this before we got married so I know what could lie ahead for us, No Children at all.  Mind you we didn't just get married to have children we got married because we loved each enough that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. 

Well over the years we did try many times to fall pregnant and of course nothing happened. So, after years of trying we gave up and just got on with life thinking that we would never have any children.  

And then one day out of the blue we did fall pregnant and thats how Stephanie came into our lives. To us she is a beautiful gift from God and we are just so very thankful to God each and every day for our beautiful Stephanie.   

Well Stephanie has changed our lives but for the better for us, we don't know what we would do if we didn't have our little girl. Well you all TAKE CARE and thank you for reading this message. LOVE KELLY. 

August 10, 2005, 11:02 am CDT

Kelly

Quote From: ceders2

This I know to be true in many ways. Mind you Stephanie is now 3 years old and isn't a baby anymore, but she still has changed my husband's and my life forever. 

To start with we never thought that we would ever be able to have children as my hubby had been told many years ago that it would be very unlikely that he'd be able to father any children what so ever due to have a Zero Sperm Count. I know all this before we got married so I know what could lie ahead for us, No Children at all.  Mind you we didn't just get married to have children we got married because we loved each enough that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. 

Well over the years we did try many times to fall pregnant and of course nothing happened. So, after years of trying we gave up and just got on with life thinking that we would never have any children.  

And then one day out of the blue we did fall pregnant and thats how Stephanie came into our lives. To us she is a beautiful gift from God and we are just so very thankful to God each and every day for our beautiful Stephanie.   

Well Stephanie has changed our lives but for the better for us, we don't know what we would do if we didn't have our little girl. Well you all TAKE CARE and thank you for reading this message. LOVE KELLY. 

I understand what you are saying. Though we waited a few years before really trying to have a baby, it did take several years for our first to arrive. i was really beginning to wonder if I could even get pregnant. But God certainly blessed us with our two girls. We celebrated our 8th anniversary 17 days after my first was born and then 14 months later, we found out that we were having baby number two, so we were double blessed. Enjoy your baby Stephanie, she sounds like a wonderful littel girl. Babies certainly are a bundles of joy and even as they grow and mature, they are still full of joy. Thanks for sharing.

September 15, 2005, 9:43 am CDT

Conner

I too never thought I could have children then at 36 I became pregnant.  My husband and I have both been married before.  His first wife didn't want children so how wonderful it was when we found out Conner was coming into our lives.  He is now 2 and the absolute love of my life.  So many people told me you never know love as you do with a child.  I never realized just how right they were until I had my own.  Who would have ever thought I would be singing Barney songs all day and laughing to Mr. Noodle on Sesame Street.  I think he is hilarious.  Who would have ever thought I would worry so much about crazy things that may never happen.  Who would have thought I would eat dinner at 6:00 instead of 9:00. Who would have ever thought how much we talk about poop *lol*  The list is endless.  Having my son is the BEST thing that has ever happened to me.  I could never imagine life without him. 

September 16, 2005, 6:37 am CDT

Jodi -- I agree 100%

I had our son (also our second marriages but he has two ages 16 & 13 from his first marriage) at the age of 35 and then surprise again and our daughter was born when I was 37.  They are now 4 and 2 years old and I can't imagine life without them!  (Yes you do watch the kids shows with them no matter how hard you try not to and you do talk about things you wouldn't otherwise for example poop!) ;-)   

And yes, you don't know love til you have a child...not only for your child but for your spouse as well everytime your child does something that remind you of him or her or when they interact and you just watch!  (I can do that for hours too!) 

Marie 

September 29, 2005, 5:16 pm CDT

What Blake has done for me

I just recently had my son Blake who is just the best baby in the world. He's a joy to take care of, and each morning I rememeber to praise him. I show him just how excited I am to see him each morning. Blake is 4 months old, and I just can't imagine my life without him. I don't know   what I was doing with my life till I had him. I love dressing him up, taking pictures of him, bathing him. changing his diaper, and I just love being able to take care of him and have him reward me with that handsome smile he has. Having a baby has changed my life, and I couldn't imagine my life without him now.

October 10, 2005, 2:59 pm CDT

Dylan

My son dylan...i am 20 years old and i did a stupid thing when i was 18, barely, i got pregnant, Now this was the hardest thing i had every done i was just a kid didnt know any better i met a guy and we talked for a couple months then bam dylan was coming no if ands or buts, so many nights i cried because i kept telling my self that i could do this that i wasnt ready that i wanted to wait until i got married, Well Dylan is now 20 months old and i couldnt have been more blessed, he has changed my life around, he made me grow up, made me become an adult, I look back and dont know where i would be or who i would have become if i wouldnt of had dylan but you know what none of that bothers me because i love who i have become and i am still with Dylans father we arent married and a part of me is glad, Although i am still young and dont get to go out much i wouldnt change anything in the world, because i know that i am the happiest i have ever been in my life.  

October 10, 2005, 4:28 pm CDT

Having a Baby Has Changed My Life

I have 3 children and they are the best things in my life. Each of them are very different but they all fill my life with joy. My eldest is 7 and he is so caring and sensitive. My second child was born in August '04 and She is so full of life and willing to take risks. She was quite ill when born but you couldn't tell now. My third was born in June this year and she is so calm and quiet and cuddly. I love to just play with my kids or sit and hold them. Kids are the best gift God has given us.( And they certainly keep you busy.)

October 12, 2005, 6:16 pm CDT

Is he a dad or a baby-siitter

I became a wife in August of 04 and then found out I was pregnant four months later and Noah was born in August of 05.  I love this little guy with all of my heart, but he has completely changed my life. In one year I became somebody's wife and someone elses mother.  This has been a really hard transition for me.  We are the first in our group of friends to have a baby so I really have no one to talk to.  When I get stressed out  I feel guilty.  I am used to working full time, but I have been off work for three months and have three weeks to go.  I feel guilty because I am almost looking forward to getting back to work just so I can be me again.  I love my child and would not trade him for anything, but I have found I that I am beginning to resent my husband because he has been able to keep some normalcy in his life.  He returned back to work after only a week at home, during which time he came and went as he pleased leaving me and the baby at home alone.  He is a very loving husband and father, but it seemed to me that this wasn't nearly the change for him that is was for me.  He comes home from work and lets me know he is going to spend the evening playing golf.  He doesn't have to worry that his son will not be taken care of. However, if I want to go have dinner with friends, I have to check with him and make sure he can "babysit"  this is the double standard I cannot understand.  I have had to come home before even making it to the restaurant because my husband couldn't get him to quit crying.  I had only been gone for fifteen minutes and the baby was asleep when I left.  I asked him who he thought I called when I couldn't get him to quit crying.  I think that helped him understand a little bit better why I was a little stressed at the end of the day when he got home.  Don't get me wrong I feel blessed because I get to spend special moments with our son that my husband misses and I wouldn't trade those, but why is it that dads are so quick to show off their children, but do little to actually help take care of them.  When do they become equal care-givers instead of baby sitters?

October 13, 2005, 8:12 pm CDT

I can relate

Quote From: abirney

I became a wife in August of 04 and then found out I was pregnant four months later and Noah was born in August of 05.  I love this little guy with all of my heart, but he has completely changed my life. In one year I became somebody's wife and someone elses mother.  This has been a really hard transition for me.  We are the first in our group of friends to have a baby so I really have no one to talk to.  When I get stressed out  I feel guilty.  I am used to working full time, but I have been off work for three months and have three weeks to go.  I feel guilty because I am almost looking forward to getting back to work just so I can be me again.  I love my child and would not trade him for anything, but I have found I that I am beginning to resent my husband because he has been able to keep some normalcy in his life.  He returned back to work after only a week at home, during which time he came and went as he pleased leaving me and the baby at home alone.  He is a very loving husband and father, but it seemed to me that this wasn't nearly the change for him that is was for me.  He comes home from work and lets me know he is going to spend the evening playing golf.  He doesn't have to worry that his son will not be taken care of. However, if I want to go have dinner with friends, I have to check with him and make sure he can "babysit"  this is the double standard I cannot understand.  I have had to come home before even making it to the restaurant because my husband couldn't get him to quit crying.  I had only been gone for fifteen minutes and the baby was asleep when I left.  I asked him who he thought I called when I couldn't get him to quit crying.  I think that helped him understand a little bit better why I was a little stressed at the end of the day when he got home.  Don't get me wrong I feel blessed because I get to spend special moments with our son that my husband misses and I wouldn't trade those, but why is it that dads are so quick to show off their children, but do little to actually help take care of them.  When do they become equal care-givers instead of baby sitters?

I too recently became a new mom. I am 28 years old and had been dating my fiance for a little over a year when we were moving in together last year. In the middle of our move I noticed that I had missed my cycle and was just not feeling right. We chalked this up to Texas sinus and kept moving. Then we took the test and it showed we were having a baby. That was the first of our new found relationship "nothing is ever easy" is what we call it. In the middle of being pregnant I did not want to be engaged, plan a wedding and look for a new home. So we started with finding a home. Well again nothing can be easy for us. Our son Dylan decided he was just took happy and needed to come out almost 3 months early, that is right he was born at 29 weeks. Dylan did have some complications that resulted in his delivery. My blood pressure had risen so high that my body started rejecting Dylan and they saw on the ultrasound that he had hemorrhaging in his brain. Thus at 400 the doctor advised they were taking Dylan and at 415 he was here. Since then Dylan had to spend 84 days in the NICU and has undergone 3 surgeries, with the most recent being on 10/05. During all of this we decided that my fiance, yes we decided to get engaged after moving into the house a week after Dylan was born, decided to become the stay at home parent. Mr MOM...... This was decided b/c Dylan ended up having to spend several days weekly at all different Doctor offices and had to do OT with the state appointed therapist and nutritionist. We have now been denied our Medicaid and SSI and are in the appeal process, did not think this would go away and now on one income WOW the extra cost my insurance does not pick up is eating us alive. With all of this it is something new daily with Dylan and we are just so Thankful that God continues to bless us in overcoming these issues. Dylan never let's it get him down though, he just keeps on the best he can and acts as if nothing is wrong. he is just so cute. We love him so much. He has had his own website since he was born to keep everyone across the globe advised of his current  condition and our friends and family have been great. With that being said TRUST me I was so happy to return to work, it is my escape. However, please do not do what I did and get too involved with work that you spend all your time with it. Work will always be there, but your family has to come first, they need YOU. It is okay to need a break and it does not make you a bad parent at all, just be careful at how many and how long your breaks are. In addition you also have to remember to keep your relationship with DAD... This is something we could use advise on, we are such great friends that sometimes that is all we are anymore. We are working so hard at everything else we kinda put us on the back burner.... 

October 14, 2005, 10:10 am CDT

Having a Baby Has Changed My Life

Quote From: abirney

I think the key here is Respect on both of your parts. You need to communicate your feelings to him and be honest, if you don't then how is he suppose to l=know what you are feeling. I think too it is imporant that you have your "me" time and one thing that works with us in my home is, I have a set time that I go out all by myself and do wahtever I want which is Saturday mornings, now on accasions other things do come up as that is how life is sometimes, there may be times when I take one of our girls with me and the other stays with daddy, sometimes we all end up goingt o gether depending on what needs to be done, My husband is now on a rotating work schedule and we have to go by his schedule but when I knw that he is home and will be for a bit, I do not hesitate to tell him that I am going out for a bit and I will be back in a couple hours, he is a great father and he doesn't have a problem with this. If you have a plan already in place then both of you will be happy, if all fails maybe you can get a sitter for an hour or two and go out with a friend. Really, I have come to realize that men don't always grasp the whole affect of parenting because we, the wives/mothers don't communicate our needs and desires, we just assume that the men should know thier place and responsibility and maybe they should but becasue we, the women are usually the main caregivers, the men in our lives may think that we have everything under control so this is why we must communicate and work together at a plan that will work and satisfy both parents. It is nothing for me to tell my husband, I am going out with Cate on Friday night, you need to be home and watch the girl or if he is working, I just tell him the girls and I will be going out tonight, you need to help your self to dinner. I think if you have a good marriage relationship, this would not be a problem but it still takes communication, repsect and the willingness to work together. I decided along time ago, even befor ehaving children, that I wasn't gonna sit around the house and mope and wait for hubby to do his part and I don't, I go when I want and if that means taking my children with me, then I do it, if it means paying a sitter, I do it, if it means telling him that he needs to stay home with them, then I do it. Now, of course I have respect for him and make sure that he is feeling up to doing it and that he has the time to spend with the girls, he does work and he too deserves his alone time and out with friends and all, it is a matter of having a balance and working together.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last