Message Boards

Topic : Sports and Kids

Number of Replies: 66
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:28:51 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child active in sports? What's a good age to begin? Should children be involved in contact sports? Do you agree with the way your child is coached? Share your advice, concerns and stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 26, 2005, 10:34 pm CDT

Softballmom!!!

My daughter has been playing Baseball since she's 4 1/2!! She's 13 now and switched from Baseball to Softball 4 years ago. She has really enjoyed it alot. I don't remember a single time her telling me she didn't want to go to practice or a game ever. She also started playing Soccer when she was 4 1/2 but had to give it up after 6 years to play Softball because the schedules overlapped each other so she had to choose one or the other. Softball has become very expensive because she has reached a very competitive level. We have traveled all over Washington State and parts of Oregon, we even made it to a National's Tounament in Texas in 2003!! These have been such great times for all of us as a family. My older daughter and I both really enjoy watching her grow into a SUPERSTAR!!!   

So I guess in my opinion sports are very important for your children. They help teach disipline, time management and keeping them in shape. (Not to mention it's fun)  

October 6, 2005, 11:01 am CDT

It keeps them out of trouble :)

My son who is now 16- has played baseball and football since the age of 5. He loves both sports. 

He has never NOT wanted to play however if he said he wanted to quit one I would not MAKE him play. I am glad he stays involved in at least 2 sports per year.  

Not only does it keep them busy after school but it encourages them to keep their grades up in order to play. 

I think as long as a child CAN handle sports and grades it is great. I do think it teaches them alot in life. However I am not the type of parent that says MAKE THEM PLAY. If they dont have the desire to do so- your waisting your time. 

October 7, 2005, 2:49 pm CDT

Sports

Hi! I'm a fourteen year old girl and I have played sports all of my life. Sports have really structured my life. I am a straight A student, do very well in sports, have wonderful friendships, and best of all, a wonderful family life. I have run Cross Country for two years, but am currently playing Volleyball, Basketball, and am running in Track. The sports have brought my family closer together and my bonds with my friends have become so much stronger. I have learned time management, how to interact with adults (my coaches), how to better improve myself, and how to work as a team player. Sports have helped me with my life, but best of all, I love to play them! 

October 12, 2005, 5:58 pm CDT

To pahmahah5

its great to hear that your doing so well in school and in sports. alot of people your age turn to other things to past the time. Not saying all teens do it but my brother just started, he's 14 as well and although I love him he's stupid. I found out he tryed weed. Now i can't trust him when he goes out, i ask him where he's going and he just says out and leaves. Its awsome to hear that you turned your extra time to sports and that your doing great in school. Keep up the good work and trust me if people seem to bother you don't sweat it, by the time you get to high school most people will have grown up and you'll be on the pricipal's list in no time ;)  

November 1, 2005, 1:58 pm CST

Kids need sports

I feel all kids should at least try a sport or two.  If they are no good at one sport then try a different one.  Their are too many kids that are over weight and live on the computer or in front of the TV.  I have a 17 year old daughter that was active in sports in 5 - 8 grade.  She found that she was not that good at them and when she got in high school she did chorus and loved it.  She also found out she loves to bowl and is in her second year of bowling.  My 15 year old boy lives for sports.  When he is doing sports his grades stay up and he stays out of trouble.  He does football, basketball, and wrestling.  I started them both when they were 4 in the YMCA soccer program and they did it until they where in 8th grade.  Know my 5 year old boy has been doing sports for the past year and loves it.  He also started in soccer, then baseball, then football, now basketball.  He also is in his second year of bowling and he also does tumbling.   Kids need structure and sports make them strong and they learn a lot of things that are not taught in school.  We have always had wonderful coaches and they have always cared about the kids and help them in anyway they can.

November 16, 2005, 3:59 am CST

sport and kids

Quote From: pahmahtah5

Hi! I'm a fourteen year old girl and I have played sports all of my life. Sports have really structured my life. I am a straight A student, do very well in sports, have wonderful friendships, and best of all, a wonderful family life. I have run Cross Country for two years, but am currently playing Volleyball, Basketball, and am running in Track. The sports have brought my family closer together and my bonds with my friends have become so much stronger. I have learned time management, how to interact with adults (my coaches), how to better improve myself, and how to work as a team player. Sports have helped me with my life, but best of all, I love to play them! 

I admire you for your sporting ability but also your focus at your young age keep up your track running . I am from New Zealand and my girl is approching 11years old, she has been running athletics & harriers for 4 years and has many medals packed away in her short time. I also totally agree that sports do bring families together. Teagan runs all year round and also her coach allows her to play touch football sunday : so relaxing she should play for the baby all blacks, but all she would like is to play soccer but no, coach is ex overseas pro & NO MEANS NO so I will enter in to another 10km fun run where she can bet him now LOL!!!

February 14, 2006, 1:25 am CST

Quitting sports

Help me PLEASE!! 

My son is 17 and has been playing football since 7th grade.  He has been on varsity since he started.  Football has kept his grades in the B-C range and also promotes good health habits.  He recently won All Region and All State this past December.  He is on the road to what could be a football scholarship which would be a godsend to the financial difficulties of today.  Here's my problem.  Enter girlfriend Cayla, he spends 24-7 with her, has dropped seeing all his football buddies (who by the way call me Mom), and now I learn Cayla has been asked to leave school due to lack of credits.  She should be graduating this year but only has 13 1/2 credits due to high absence.  I asked my son why and he said she skipped school for various reasons.  She is leaving school with parental permission on Feb 26th, her 18th birthday.  Now I'm worried, our son has skipped practice and wants to quit because he doesnt get to see Cayla (maybe we should prolong the day past 24-7).  Last week was his 2nd try at the ACT test which he wanted to make a higher grade in (his words) and he "slept in".  One the road to no where land is what I say.  Cayla has controled every aspect of his life for 8 months and now I worry at a constant pace.  Look what time it is 4:27am EST.  I have lost sleep, have no appetite, lost 26 pounds, and have drank coffee and smoked till my I drop.  Help me, please! 

February 20, 2006, 8:29 am CST

Sports and Kids

Our four boys have all been very involved in sports during their youth. Two of our boys started in the youth wrestling program at five and they are still playing football at the college level. I recommend getting your child involved in activities to help teach discipline, respect for adults other than their parents, time management and most important during the middle school and high school years to keep them busy and out of trouble. Being involved in athletics has also taught my boys how to take care of their bodies and keep them health. I also support getting your child in some part of music and/or the arts. Starting in the fall, all children enrolled in our high school will be required to enroll in a class per year that falls into the category of the arts. Test scores show that when children are involved in music, their grades are higher than those children who do not have music in their life. A well rounded education is important for our children to make an excellent decision about the rest of their life.

February 20, 2006, 6:29 pm CST

Sports are good for kids

I think that kids playing sports is very important in developing them in the future. If kids have something else they love to preoccupy them then when they grow up they are less likly to be in trouble.  

I am currently 24 years old and have been playing sports since I was 4 years old. I played every school sport I could play. I also played competative fastball and ringette. I maintained the honor roll in junior high school and high school. Every sport I played was a team sport and promoted "team playing" from a young age.  

Beacuse I was always busy playing one sport or another I never had time to get into trouble or meet the wrong people. My parents were very supportive and always there cheering me on, this in turn gave me a very close relationship with my parents. 

I now have a 4 year old who is very active and athletic and because I had the opportunity and support from my parents to be involved, I can't wait to experience this with my son. 

February 21, 2006, 7:38 am CST

HOPES THIS HELPS

Quote From: milady1789

Help me PLEASE!! 

My son is 17 and has been playing football since 7th grade.  He has been on varsity since he started.  Football has kept his grades in the B-C range and also promotes good health habits.  He recently won All Region and All State this past December.  He is on the road to what could be a football scholarship which would be a godsend to the financial difficulties of today.  Here's my problem.  Enter girlfriend Cayla, he spends 24-7 with her, has dropped seeing all his football buddies (who by the way call me Mom), and now I learn Cayla has been asked to leave school due to lack of credits.  She should be graduating this year but only has 13 1/2 credits due to high absence.  I asked my son why and he said she skipped school for various reasons.  She is leaving school with parental permission on Feb 26th, her 18th birthday.  Now I'm worried, our son has skipped practice and wants to quit because he doesnt get to see Cayla (maybe we should prolong the day past 24-7).  Last week was his 2nd try at the ACT test which he wanted to make a higher grade in (his words) and he "slept in".  One the road to no where land is what I say.  Cayla has controled every aspect of his life for 8 months and now I worry at a constant pace.  Look what time it is 4:27am EST.  I have lost sleep, have no appetite, lost 26 pounds, and have drank coffee and smoked till my I drop.  Help me, please! 

THE ONLY WAY TO HELP YOUR SON IS TO ASK GOD FOR HELP. IF YOU TELL HIM TO STOP SEEING THE GIRLFRIEND IT WILL JUST MAKE HIM SEE HER MORE. I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last