Message Boards

Topic : Searching for Birth Parents

Number of Replies: 1017
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:25:10 pm
Author : dataimport

Are you adopted? Have you met your birth parents, or is searching for them important to you? Share your story.

NOTE: Please do not post personal info such as home address and phone numbers, for your safety such info will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 23, 2005, 8:58 am CDT

Adoption

My name is Amanda I was born In November 1977, for some reason my parents couldn't keep me so they put me up for adoption when I was 6 months old I was adopted my parents now are wonderful growing up I put them through alot but now that I am married and have children i see that it was hard. I did look for them but since the year that I was born and the state I have to go through the Michigan court to locate them like i said i started then I started back up again so one day soon I will have the chance to find them.

I always wonder if they are still alive and If they think about me, I thank god that they put me up so I could have a wonderful life but I still wonder.

Just wanted to share my story because I know that there are other people out there like me.

Amanda

July 23, 2005, 9:02 am CDT

31 and curious...

To start, I'm 31...never married and no children.  I was adopted in La. out of Lafayette when I was 12 days old.  My parents couldn't have any, and luckily received a call weeks before my dad hit the cut off on the age limit.  Growing up things were great, they kept me busy and involved in everything my mom could possibly fit in my schedule.  I grew up an only child, but was always surrounded with family and friends.  My parents have always told me from before I could remember that I was an adopted child, but a very special one.  They have always told me that if I ever wanted to pursue seeking out my biological parents, that would not hurt them at all.  My mom is very confident in the fact that she raised me and that THEY are MY parents-she just gave birth.  In fact my mom told me years ago she thinks she received papers from the government, that were suppose to go to the adoption agency.  It contained the last name of my birth mom...  I have much curiousity in the fact that 2 people on this earth created me and I have no idea what they look like.  Now that I'm older, I see the medical issues that my parents deal with (including alzheimer's and heart disease) and I'm worried that I may need to know something in my family history that I can prevent.  I guess my question is to see if anyone else has been in this situation or has been successful in searching??
-izabella74

July 23, 2005, 4:39 pm CDT

amanda

My name is Amanda I was born In November 1977, for some reason my parents couldn't keep me so they put me up for adoption when I was 6 months old I was adopted my parents now are wonderful growing up I put them through alot but now that I am married and have children i see that it was hard. I did look for them but since the year that I was born and the state I have to go through the Michigan court to locate them like i said i started then I started back up again so one day soon I will have the chance to find them.

I always wonder if they are still alive and If they think about me, I thank god that they put me up so I could have a wonderful life but I still wonder.

Just wanted to share my story because I know that there are other people out there like me.

Amanda

hey amanda. my name is jenna and i wasn't adopted, but my half-brother was. my mom always told us that she had a baby before she was married and gave him up for adoption, but she didn't know where he was or how to find him. turns out his adoptive parents always let him know he was adopted, so when he got older, he wanted to find my mom. (also his real mom) anyway, when he was 19 he found us and we have been in touch with eachother ever since. that is a happy ending and i thought i would share it just so others could be encouraged if they are having a difficult time finding their birth parents. well, that's all i wanted to say. i'm sure they think about you every day if they are still alive.

Jenna

July 24, 2005, 3:38 pm CDT

Here's some information for you Amanda....

Amanda

I have been a search angel for adoption related searches for over 18 years and thought you might like this information to assist you in your search. 

Hugs to you and yours!

Cheryl

MICHIGAN

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults, direct descendants of a deceased adopted adult, adoptive parents, birth parents, and birth siblings may obtain non-identifying information.

Obtaining Identifying Information: Adopted adults can receive information through the State registry on the birth parents and birth siblings. Birth parents and birth siblings can receive the adopted adult's information, if the adopted adult provided written consent through the agency that completed the adoption and the court that finalized the adoption.

Using a Confidential Intermediary: Confidential intermediaries are provided through the court for adopted adults, birth parents, birth grandparents, birth siblings, adoptive parents of a minor adoptee, and descendants of a deceased adopted adult.

Using the Adoption Registry: If parental rights were terminated prior to May 28, 1945, or after September 12, 1980, and there is no parental statement of denial found in the registry, the adopted adult can receive information on the birth parents and Birth Siblings. If parental rights were terminated after May 28, 1945, but before September 12, 1980, the information will be released if the birth parents or birth siblings have filed consent through the registry.

Michigan Family Independence Agency
Adoption Services Division
PO Box 30037
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 373-3513

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: If parental rights were terminated prior to May 28, 1945, or after September 12, 1980, an adopted adult may receive a copy of the original birth certificate if there is no denial statement on file. If parental rights were terminated between May 28, 1945 and September 12, 1980, an adopted adult must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized.

Contact: An adopted adult's adoption record is usually held in the Family Division of Circuit Court (formerly the probate court) closest to the adoptive parents. The court should be able to provide the name of the agency that handled the adoption. Adopted adults may contact the Department of Community Health, Customer Services Section, 3423 North Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., PO Box 30195, Lansing, MI, 48909 to request the name of the court that finalized the adoption.

July 24, 2005, 3:43 pm CDT

Here's the state info for you in Louisiana...

To start, I'm 31...never married and no children. I was adopted in La. out of Lafayette when I was 12 days old. My parents couldn't have any, and luckily received a call weeks before my dad hit the cut off on the age limit. Growing up things were great, they kept me busy and involved in everything my mom could possibly fit in my schedule. I grew up an only child, but was always surrounded with family and friends. My parents have always told me from before I could remember that I was an adopted child, but a very special one. They have always told me that if I ever wanted to pursue seeking out my biological parents, that would not hurt them at all. My mom is very confident in the fact that she raised me and that THEY are MY parents-she just gave birth.In fact my mom told me years ago she thinks she received papers from the government, that were suppose to go to the adoption agency. Itcontained the last name of my birth mom... I have much curiousity in the fact that 2 people on this earth created me and I have no idea what they look like. Now that I'm older, I see the medical issues that my parents deal with (including alzheimer's and heart disease) and I'm worried that I may need to know something in my family history that I can prevent. I guess my question is to see if anyone else has been in this situation or has been successful in searching??
-izabella74
LOUISIANA

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Non-identifying information is available to adoptive parents upon placement of a child.

Obtaining Identifying Information: Identifying information is provided through an Adoption Registry.

Using the Adoption Registry: Adopted adults age 21 or older, birth parents, and birth siblings may use the registry. One hour of counseling is required.

Louisiana Adoption Registry
PO Box 3318
Baton Rouge, LA 70821
(504) 342-9922
(800) 259-2456

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: An adoptee must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized.

(National Adoption Information Clearinghouse.)

July 25, 2005, 12:55 am CDT

adopytion ANGEL

I have been a search angel for adoption related searches for over 18 years and thought you might like this information to assist you in your search.

Hugs to you and yours!

Cheryl

MICHIGAN

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults, direct descendants of a deceased adopted adult, adoptive parents, birth parents, and birth siblings may obtain non-identifying information.

Obtaining Identifying Information: Adopted adults can receive information through the State registry on the birth parents and birth siblings. Birth parents and birth siblings can receive the adopted adult's information, if the adopted adult provided written consent through the agency that completed the adoption and the court that finalized the adoption.

Using a Confidential Intermediary: Confidential intermediaries are provided through the court for adopted adults, birth parents, birth grandparents, birth siblings, adoptive parents of a minor adoptee, and descendants of a deceased adopted adult.

Using the Adoption Registry: If parental rights were terminated prior to May 28, 1945, or after September 12, 1980, and there is no parental statement of denial found in the registry, the adopted adult can receive information on the birth parents and Birth Siblings. If parental rights were terminated after May 28, 1945, but before September 12, 1980, the information will be released if the birth parents or birth siblings have filed consent through the registry.

Michigan Family Independence Agency
Adoption Services Division
PO Box 30037
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 373-3513

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: If parental rights were terminated prior to May 28, 1945, or after September 12, 1980, an adopted adult may receive a copy of the original birth certificate if there is no denial statement on file. If parental rights were terminated between May 28, 1945 and September 12, 1980, an adopted adult must petition the courtin which the adoption was finalized.

Contact: An adopted adult's adoption record is usually held in the Family Division of Circuit Court (formerly the probate court) closest to the adoptive parents. The court should be able to provide the name of the agency that handled the adoption. Adopted adults may contact the Department of Community Health, Customer Services Section, 3423 North Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., PO Box 30195, Lansing, MI, 48909 to request the name of the court that finalized the adoption.

AMANDA THE ADOPTION ANGEL IS BEST SOURCE OF HELP. i HAVE HELPED OTHERS IN SEARCHES AND BEEN ON ADOPTION BOARDS AND THESE ADOPTION ANGELS KNOW THERE STUFF. GO FOR IT. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. IF YOU DON'T LOOK YOU WILL ALWAYS WONDER. GOD BLESS YOU

July 26, 2005, 3:16 pm CDT

my husband was adopted

My husband was adopted at birth. He went home from the hospital with his adopted parents. He had very loving parents. They are dead now. He would like to know the medical history of his birth parents. However, he has no idea how to get it.

July 27, 2005, 8:08 am CDT

area??

Quote From: tcesmama

My husband was adopted at birth. He went home from the hospital with his adopted parents. He had very loving parents. They are dead now. He would like to know the medical history of his birth parents. However, he has no idea how to get it.
So what area are you guys in? I'm there w/ him....I'm also a bit worried about the meeting or how they would feel about me seeking the out..

July 28, 2005, 3:45 pm CDT

searching for biological parent

Hi I live in Wisconsin and adopted a girl from the Wisconsin State Building in Milwaukee... The child was born in Lake Geneva Lakeland Hospital on 6/9/71 at 5:17 a.m. The name we have for the biological parent at that time was "KOPAK" the name that was given to my daughter by the women was 'JENNIFER" we changed it to Machelle....She now has 2 children, a girl 12yrs. and a boy 7yrs....We are mainly interested in any health reports we could get...I remember the case worker mentioning something that the girl had Asthma, and was I think 16yrs. old... We do not know anything about the biological father, he also was very young... The biological parent was adopted into a family also so it is really a puzzle to try and find out anything... She supposedly is German and Italian, we don't know if the family that adopted her was this nationality or she was when they adopted her... We would very much like it if someone could solve this case of the biological parent with a maiden name of "KOPAK"

The e-mail address that you can send any information to is... rmarie@charter.net

August 4, 2005, 3:58 pm CDT

Looking for birth sibling!!!!

I am currently looking for my brother whom my mother gave up as soon as he was born (4/25/76). He was born in Indiana. Their adoption records are closed and it has been very hard to get information. I have gotten the Non-Identifying Information on him. They say they cant give me the Identifying Information without attorney representation.  How do you find an attorney who does this and what does it cost??  I would love to find him. Just to meet him once and talk to him would be AWESOME!!!  I was 3 when he was born.  My mom didnt have to give him up.  She wasnt even raising me, my grandmother was and did.  I feel like I have to pay the price for what my mother did.  I understand using the choice of adoption for many reasons but when you use it as a means to run, shrug off your responsibilities, and revenge---that I dont understand. It affects a lot of people in certain circumstances.  There doesnt seem to be a lot of support or information for siblings who are searching for other siblings.  Just thought I would share a little of my story.  Good Luck and GOD Bless to everyone out there searching.   Tammy

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last