Message Boards

Topic : Obesity

Number of Replies: 1371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:33:24 pm
Author : dataimport
Obesity is a medical disorder that can be treated, but sometimes society doesn't look upon the obese with compassion. Find support and understanding here as you or those you love cope with obesity.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 5:41 pm CDT

I only tell you what I've done

Quote From: toobignow

Hi I'm a 39 year oldno really!!mother of 3 young girls,whom I love more than life itself.With that being said,how come I'm so out of shape? I'm 4"11 and I weigh 170lbs which I beleive is considered obese.I'm so tired of being fat.I have an underactive thyroid which I was told could be preventing me from losing weight,but I don't know.

I lost my MOM at 57 to C.O.P.Dlung disorder she was my world and I didn't think I could carry on without her or be a good mother.I knew I had to for my childrens sake.When I finally got to the point that I could function without thinking about her every waking moment,I relized how much weight I put on.How,I don't know because I hardly ever ate,but when I did I guess I made bad choices.So I joined Weight watchers and Curves,but after a year with WW I stopped going to meetings because I would lose 4lbs then put on 5.So I bought Dr.Phil's weight loss solution book and was about to start it when to my horror..my DAD died of a heart attack in his house on july 2nd.Well that's when we found him,he was gone 3 days prior to that.This was a young 61 year old man who took good care of himself,he didn't have a heart condition.We just had a bbq and he just went fishing with his brother,he was the picture of health,he was a diabetic but he had that under control.I just don't get it.Sorry for going on.

I got thinking that if I die at the age my parents did then I only have about 20 years left.I want to be there for my children,I don't want them to see me fat anymore,because I'm tired and sore all the time.It breaks my heart to see the sadness in their eyes when I don't play with them.The weather has been in the high 30's here in Canada and I won't wear shorts.I stand on the beach fully clothed and watch my children and husband play,because I won't be caught dead in a bathing suit.I'm missing out on my kids life and I don't want to anymore because they are all I've got.I want them to have fond memories of me.

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone tried Dr.Phil's diet?Do you like it?Better yet...Does it work?I guess anything will work if you put your mind to it.Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanking for listening,it was nice to get somethings off my chest.

Good luck to everyone who's fighting the battle of the bulge.

My heart goes out to you.  My mother died in 2000 and I did the exact same thing.  Just before she died she told me she wanted me to love myself and at that time, it was impossible.  I published a story in a magazine about my obesity and losing my mom and I'd love to post a link to it but I don't think they allow it.

I just know that after 30 years of obesity and trying every diet known to man, the surgery was all that was left for me.  My entire family was large and when you're 120 lbs overweight it was very difficult for me to exercise but some people are able to do it. The problem with losing such a huge amount of weight is really hard.  I'm not saying it's easy for alcoholics and drug addicts but at least when they stop, they get immediate results.  We HAVE to eat.  If you told an alcoholic that they had to drink one drink a day, it would not work.  We HAVE to eat.  We also have to face the fact that our results are going to take a while.  It's no easy task but I think Dr. Phil's book would be worth a try.  I don't know if you want to consider the surgery but if you do, I'd be happy to answer any questions or direct you to a place that will.  I hope you will find what you are looking for.

July 25, 2005, 6:17 pm CDT

Would like to join your group

Quote From: cheriemont

I just read some of the posts on this board and I feel the pain you are in. I started the WLC at 360 lb. and found a wonderful support group right here on the Dr. Phil website. It's under "Message Boards" and then under "Weight Loss Challenge Discussions" with the WEIGHT topics you'll find if you scroll down on the Message Board page. We're the 9th board listed (as new boards get added, we may change to 10th, 11th, etc. as the boards are arranged alphabetically). I'm talking about the board called "200 pounds or more to lose".

We have people in our group in the 400s and 500s and most in the 300s when they started, but we also have some (a few) who did not have quite 200 to lose when they joined us but also had a very large amount to lose so they share those special challenges with us, especially facing a long-term program of weight loss (I'm talking 2, 3, 4 or more years to get to our goal). We would be so happy to have you come and join our group. We'll give you the loving support you need along the way, tips and hints to help you over the rough spots and an occasional kick in the pants if you need that too (gently, of course).

We, like many of the boards online, are mostly women, but there are a few guys who have joined us too and ALL are welcome. About the only restriction we have on our board is we request that members not use profanity and to not be critical of one another--we're all doing the best we can and we're there to HELP one another, not heap more criticism and judgment upon one another.

I hope to see you over on that board if you fit the criteria. You'll be so glad you came to join us.

Cherie

I am depressed all the time about my weight and just life in general. Can't seem to even understand the the weight loss challenge book, so I am in desperate need of help. I have been so lonely in this battle, and have had many thoughts of ending my life. Please help me.Omachris

July 26, 2005, 6:34 am CDT

Please get help

Quote From: omachris

I am depressed all the time about my weight and just life in general. Can't seem to even understand the the weight loss challenge book, so I am in desperate need of help. I have been so lonely in this battle, and have had many thoughts of ending my life. Please help me.Omachris
My group can be found by searching the web for Obesity Help.  We have over 200,000 members in varying stages of obesity and most are researching the various types of obesity surgery.  You sound to me as if you are not yet ready to go to this step because it is best to have your other issues worked out before you consider this.  You might want to check some of the other forums on Dr. Phil to see if there is information to get you some help.  My heart goes out to you...I was there and didn't want to live especially after I lost my mom.  I know there's a solution for you and I so want you to find it.  I am not a therapist and can only share my experience.  If you wish to post on Obesity Help, you will find many sympathetic ears that will try to help you work through your feelings.  The message boards are separated by states. 

July 26, 2005, 9:27 pm CDT

Please come to the 200+ board

Quote From: omachris

We'd love to have you join our group on the 200+ board. But in the meantime I do think you need to talk to your primary physician or a licensed counselor. Often suicidal thoughts are due to physical causes and it's possible that your doctor can help sort that out. If it's depression caused by the excess weight, then DEFINITELY we can help out on the 200+ board. We cannot do it all--we are not professionally trained counselors and often we need professional help along the journey, but we DO have lots of loving, caring people there who will accept you and help you walk this long road all the way to the GOAL. So please, don't give up on yourself without giving yourself a chance to really LIVE, ok? Please come and find out just how loving people can be and how blessed your own life can be too. It can be a lonely battle, but it doesn't have to be. We are doing a good thing for ourselves, not entering into battle. We are developing a healthy lifestyle and becoming the beautiful people on the outside that we've always been on the inside. If you are having trouble with a particular passage in the WLC book, please post that on the board and we'll talk you through it. We have people who have been working this program for well over a year and can explain it far better than I can. We've even had a member who could not get out of bed at all! At 550 pounds she was confined to her bed for years. Several of our members were housebound for years. But ALL of our members are helped by the book and by our support board. So I urge you to give us a try. If we can do it, ANYBODY can do it. And we want you to be able to do it too.

Cherie

July 27, 2005, 9:15 am CDT

I'm Only 21

I'm only 21 but I have a beautiful 7 month old son. I'm 5' 1" tall and weigh 230 pounds. I need to lose weight for myself and my son. I've been overweight for all of my life. I have had 2 patella (kneecap) realignments. My weight doesn't help my knees walk any easier. I want to be able to run after my son. I also want to be able to walk up the stairs without losing my breath. I used to get teased a lot for my weight when I was a kid and probably still get teased. Ever since I gave birth to my son, I haven't been able to lose my weight. Help.

July 27, 2005, 9:17 am CDT

Your Skin

Quote From: silverkatt

I am the very happy success story for gastric bypass and finally I can show you what it did for me. It was March 30, 2001 and I weighed 260 pounds. I was so ready to do this surgery that I would have done it with a 25% SURVIVAL chance. A year later I was 120 pounds lighter, had stopped all high blood pressure medicine and my blood work and blood pressure were incredible. I am 50 years old and married the most wonderful man on earth 3 years ago. Thirty years of obesity and trying and failing at every diet imaginable brought me to this solution.May I suggest that if you consider it that when you look for a doctor, you find out how many patients he has lost. The last time I checked my doctor who has been performing this surgery for at least 5 or 6 years has had NO DEATHS. It's like anything else in life...check out their qualifications and their successes.

I attended a seminar about a year ago with men and women in all stages of pre-op and post-op and there were a couple of guys that had lost 300 and 400 pounds! I met a wonderful woman that had lost 238. It was an incredible weekend. I volunteer my time on a website hoping to guide others that are researching this surgery through their journey.

Did you have to get a tummy tuck or anything from losing weight so quickly? Did you have any problems with your skin hanging or anything?

July 27, 2005, 9:39 am CDT

thanks

Quote From: andimomof3

hiya hun. I like you eat when depressed/stressed and bored. Back in 2001 I weighed 215. My son was dx'd with cancer in August 2001 and was then put on anti depressants and gained ALOT of weight. I don't even dare step on a scale but I'm guessing I weigh 270. When my son was in the hospital each month I found that I could/would eat 3 times a day. Hey I liked the hospital food, lol! I'm still on anti depressants and trying to wean myself off of them. I've cut back on food intake the last couple weeks and I can tell I've lost a few pounds. Little things are easier to do after shedding a few pounds. I'm glad to hear that you force yourself to workout. I've been forcing myself to clean. That right now is about all I can handle. Like your husband I have back problems. I sweap my floors sitting in my chair that rolls. Pathetic I know.

well anyway, just wanted to say hi and i read your message. i've been a member here for some time but have never posted.

Take care,

Thanks for your reply.
If I can remember to come in here to the boards I will.I keep forgetting  to come in here.I know there are others like me who need to lose weight.My problem is I feel I am alone  & don't want to turn to someone else for support if i need it.
I tend to feel guilty if I turn to someone for support.But that is my burden,which I need to let go of.I have no problem with supporting someelse who needs a shoulder to "cry"on.But I have a problem with letting someone help me.I feel I'm not worthy.
Sorry for being down.
Debbie

July 28, 2005, 1:31 am CDT

Yes I had some plastic surgery

Quote From: agarrido83

Did you have to get a tummy tuck or anything from losing weight so quickly? Did you have any problems with your skin hanging or anything?

It's so funny when you said losing weight quickly, I was thinking it seemed like it took a while to me? :)

Yes I had a tummy tuck but I was a newlywed and the opportunity presented itself.  I always tell many woman that tight jeans and a good bra can do wonders.  We were wizards of disguise and after I spent years covering up my obesity with clothes, a little loose skin was nothing!

July 28, 2005, 3:05 pm CDT

Help

Hello.  I am 36 years old and have been married 14 years.   We  have a 7 year old son  and he is overweight too.  I weigh over 450lbs  and very , very tired of being that way.  Thank God my son has lost 4 pounds!!!!   He is very active,  always outside playing and jumping on the trampoline.  he drinks water all the time even when he eats and thats not much at all.   And when we go out, he orders a diet drink.    I pray that he continues to loose the weight and that I can start.   My problems is not with eating awhole lot.  Its because of lack of exercise.   My sister lives next door to me and I am out of breath just walking to her house, and its not far at all.   I AM TIRED OF BEING TIRED ALL THE TIME.  I have looked into having gastric bypass , but have no money to pay for it. and sad to say no insurance either.  Thanks and God Bless You

July 28, 2005, 9:07 pm CDT

Young and Insecure

Hello, I am a 24 year old woman. I have been overweight all of my life, or at least as long as I can remember. I was the fat kid in school, and we moved a lot so I had to adjust to different places..with the same mean kids. Being made fun of as a child has stuck with me. I wish I knew how to forget or let it go, but I can't.  I feel like people are always staring at me, and whispering under their breath about how big I am. I have come to terms that I will never be married or have a life with this weight I carry.

I am 302 lbs. and only a mere 5ft tall. My weight is just now getting to the point where it is critical I lose weight. I have a bum knee, that slips in and out of place, I am always tired, and I cannot walk in the heat without complaining. I am 24 going on 50. I know if I continue to live like this, I may not be around too much longer.

My mother recently had the gastric bypass procedure done. She looks great, and has lost over 100 lbs. I prefer to try to continue to lose it on my own. One of my family members approached me today and told me that they feel I use this weight as a security blanket. They said I try to hide behind it, and the happy me is stuck inside.That brought tears to my eyes, because it is true.

Every time I feel an emotion I eat. I even eat when I am not hungry. I feel so disgusting when I look at myself in the mirror, I do not even recognize myself anymore.

I wish I could just wake up and be a healthy weight. I need to find a motivation, and I need to confide in someone who understands, and who can help me through this time.

I recently joined a weight loss program, and I plan to be 115 lbs by Christmas of 2006.

Lastly, for those who can understand where I am coming from, how can someone like me excercise without feeling like they are going to pass out, from a 3 minute walk?

I need all the support and advice you can give-

Gellissa

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last