Message Boards

Topic : Exercise

Number of Replies: 272
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:36:32 pm
Author : dataimport
A staple of any weight loss plan is moderate daily exercise. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 1, 2005, 10:56 pm CDT

Thank you so much

Quote From: trim140

Melissa, Dr. Phil's son, Jay McGraw, has a book out written specifically for teens, "The Ultimate Weight Solution for Teens". It's basically the same program, but it addresses social situations that teens find themselves in that adults don't usually deal with. I'd suggest you get a copy of that book and read it. Dr Phil's Food Guide is an excellent source in telling you what foods are good for you and which ones are "empty calories". In using the 7 keys he outlines in the book, you communicate with the people close to you that you need their help and support. Create a family activity of cleaning up the environment... dump the unhealthy foods or give it away to a food bank or something. You said you have a "couple pounds on me". Don't go about this adventure as a weight loss program, but one that teaches you how to live a heathy lifestyle. Getting the education about it now is wonderful! I wish I had learned far sooner than I did.

As far as exercise goes, you don't need to join a gym. There is a book, Total Body Makeover by Bob Greene (Oprah's trainer) that has an excellent exercise program outlined for you. He also explains the how and why of the exercises. I will say that saying you don't have the time to go to the gym (or to exercise) is faulty thinking. When something is high enough on your priority list you MAKE the time. Re-work your schedule so you DO have the time. It required me getting up an hour earlier each day to fit it in, which wasn't real pleasant in the beginning. But I found it's a fantastic way to start my day. I hope this info helps somewhat.

Gail

Hello, again. I'm definately going to get those two books. I'll get my mom to pick them up for me, because she's going to the mall in 2 days. About the gym, I kind of dont have a lot of time to go. I go to school during the week, and on weekends, I volunteer at the SPCA, (the humane society), and I dont have money, to keep busing back and fourth, and I would like to buy a membership to go there, but, it costs like $60. I dont have that. I REALLY need to get rid of my junk food. Lately, I've been telling my mom, everytime she goes grocery shopping, I tell her, can you please get me a lot of fruits (mangos, kiwis, strawberrys, plums, peaches, grapes etc.), cause I REALLY LOVE fruits and veggies, everytime I open the fridge, there will be orange juice, milk, water, and pop in there, and what I go for is the pop, my dad told me to cut it down, but I just can't. Its like bitting my nails, I cant help it. It drives me insane, I know I need to stop but I can't. I really appreciate you, taking the time, to type all this out, to try and help me. I'll definately get those books. Usually, when I get bored, I eat a lot!! Anything. I'll eat it. Even when I'm full, I'll still crave something, so I'll go and eat it. I will definately try really hard, to kick my bad habits, and I will definately keep you updated. I now, way 125, and I will try and work out my problem. And, I will let you know how I am doing.

August 4, 2005, 8:09 am CDT

Exercise makes you tired?

Quote From: snaqueb

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me?

I am 24 years old and I generally have fairly low energy levels, and tend to need a lot of sleep to function properly (my ideal is 9 hours a night).  In March, I started reading Dr. Phil's weight loss book, and joined a local gym.  I got a personal trainer, and followed the program she made for me.  I went to the gym 3 times a week faithfully, and did my strength training program and 30 - 45 minutes of cardio every time I went.  After about 3 months, I had to stop going to the gym as I was just too tired all of the time and it didn't seem to be getting any better (actually, it was getting worse).  I was eating properly, getting good amounts of protein and carbs, but was still tired.

So, having heard my story, I was wondering if any of you have any advice/opinions.  Some people have told me that I may have low iron, as I have some of the other symptoms of low iron as well (heart palpitations, slow healing of muscle aches/pains), but my doctor insists that my iron levels are fine (she only did a general blood test though).  Should I get a second opinion, or ask for more tests?  What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Snaqueb

Have your doctor check your thyroid. Many factors can cause your thyroid to underfunction. It may be functioning enough not to warrant taking medicine, but be underfunctioning enough to make you more sluggish than most people. This was my case, and it led to sleep apnea and very low metabolism. The thyroid needs all of the vitamin Bs. I found that when I started to eat more meat than I had been, I immediately felt better. I've lost weight and no longer need the CPAP machine to get a good nights rest anymore. I still have to watch what I eat though, I've noticed that when I don't get the amount of protein that I need, and replace it with refined foods like breads, pasta, chips, and sugars, I start to feel sluggish again. I went from being couch potato deluxe to loving movement and working my body. My husband and I are attempting to climb not one, but two 14,000ft peaks this Saturday. This may not be your problem, but have your doctor check it out anyway. Good luck!

August 11, 2005, 7:20 am CDT

need some help

I join our local YMCA 2 and 1/2 weeks ago.  I need to lose 100 pounds.  I use the Cardio equipment.  I do the bicycle 15 minutes and the treadmill for 15 minutes at different levels and speeds.  I also do the weights for the upper and lower body.  I have been faithful about going everyday.  I got on the scales this morning and I still weigh the same as I did when I started.  My clothes seem to be fitting better.  Maybe it is just my imagination.  How long does it take to see weight loss?  I never really exercised before 2 weeks ago. I know that I can't expect results right away because I know that I was completely out of shape.  Anyone have any advice.  I am motivated for the first time in my life.  I really feel like I can do it this time.  I just need to know what I should expect. 

Thanks 

Rachel in Ohio 

August 11, 2005, 8:36 am CDT

Hooray for you!

Quote From: rlbdrbkdb

I join our local YMCA 2 and 1/2 weeks ago.  I need to lose 100 pounds.  I use the Cardio equipment.  I do the bicycle 15 minutes and the treadmill for 15 minutes at different levels and speeds.  I also do the weights for the upper and lower body.  I have been faithful about going everyday.  I got on the scales this morning and I still weigh the same as I did when I started.  My clothes seem to be fitting better.  Maybe it is just my imagination.  How long does it take to see weight loss?  I never really exercised before 2 weeks ago. I know that I can't expect results right away because I know that I was completely out of shape.  Anyone have any advice.  I am motivated for the first time in my life.  I really feel like I can do it this time.  I just need to know what I should expect. 

Thanks 

Rachel in Ohio 

What you are experiencing is fat being converted to muscle. Keep at it, you will see weight loss. The thing you have to remember is not to eat more.  At first you may feel hungry because of the new energy demands. Your body is used to burning what you have just eaten, and not having to resort to it's stores of fat. It takes a little while to convert, but once you start burning stored fat, you will know it! It's your body's primo fuel and will elevate your mood and attitude tremendously. If you stick to an eating plan you will begin to start burning stored fat.
Here's some info tidbits you might find interesting. Six pounds of fat takes up the same amount of space as a gallon jug of milk. Six pounds of muscle takes up the same amount of space as a baseball. Your stomach, in it's natural state, is the size of one of your fists. There's no need to stretch it out to get what you need, unless you're eating the wrong kinds of foods. You know what the wrong foods are because you are constantly hungry, and stretch your stomach all out of shape trying to fill your body's nutritional needs. Good Luck to you.

August 11, 2005, 4:15 pm CDT

HEY

I just joined a gym and this is my second week... i go 5 times a week.. i think that you are losing inches instead of weight itself... but if your clothes are feeling a little loss that is great.... i have been rereading the dr phil books.. i enjoy them and wil now be able to watch his show.. i know that we all can do this.... lets alll get fit together...

August 16, 2005, 8:34 am CDT

How do you exercise when everything hurts?

How do you exercise when everything hurts? Your knees, ankles, back, hips, arms, head and your soul.  Everything hurts. I don't have any real reason to try and lose weight. If I can't stand biking or walking because my knees hurt, how can I possibly climb stairs at work?  If I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror, how can I stand to take a picture of myself as fat as I am?  I am over 300 pounds. I lost 30 pounds last fall but put it back on. I can't afford to buy the "low fat" foods or pay the price the stores want for fish or chicken breast.  

I have a full-time job, my husband works two jobs and mac and cheese is 4 for $1.00 where chicken breast is over $2.00 a pound. Our paychecks go out the door almost as fast as they come in. I'm behind on my house payment, my car payment, my loan payments (both student loans and one private loan for replacing a stove and refrigerator that were dying). I have no credit cards (except old ones that I am paying off to get them off my credit report). I don't have that much debt but getting 20 cent per hour annual pay raises at my job hasn't helped and the better paying jobs just aren't out there. I want to try and get a better job but that means I need to go back to college. I can't even afford the $50 application fee to see if I could get accepted, let alone the tuition and book fees.  

SO, why try and lose weight if you can't afford to eat right? If the money isn't there to buy healthy food, what's the hope in losing weight? Why try and excercise if you still eat the same boring Hamburger Helper, pastas, etc? I can't afford the "good for you" stuff. My budget is tight enough.  I have just about giving up hope.  

I twisted my knee this weekend and my doctor, today, tells me that "It is either a strained ligament or torn miniscus. Let it heal for two weeks and if it still hurts, then we'll get an x-ray and see about doing something. But, you should lose weight. Do you excercise?" "No," I say. "I can't bear to do anything." I might as well die fat and ugly than have to hear some skinny, slim female doctor tell me to do something about my weight but not offer me any hope. I can't walk, ride a bike, or climb stairs. My knees kill me on a bicycle and stairs. Maybe it is my mood, as she suggested, but do you think she offered to help me with that either? Nope. I cried in their bathroom for 5 minutes before I left to go to work. Now, I'm all depressed and sitting here typing on a message board for Dr. Phil. What do you do when your life stinks and your mood smells even worse? 

August 16, 2005, 10:24 am CDT

Why indeed?

Quote From: cluekeeper

How do you exercise when everything hurts? Your knees, ankles, back, hips, arms, head and your soul.  Everything hurts. I don't have any real reason to try and lose weight. If I can't stand biking or walking because my knees hurt, how can I possibly climb stairs at work?  If I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror, how can I stand to take a picture of myself as fat as I am?  I am over 300 pounds. I lost 30 pounds last fall but put it back on. I can't afford to buy the "low fat" foods or pay the price the stores want for fish or chicken breast.  

I have a full-time job, my husband works two jobs and mac and cheese is 4 for $1.00 where chicken breast is over $2.00 a pound. Our paychecks go out the door almost as fast as they come in. I'm behind on my house payment, my car payment, my loan payments (both student loans and one private loan for replacing a stove and refrigerator that were dying). I have no credit cards (except old ones that I am paying off to get them off my credit report). I don't have that much debt but getting 20 cent per hour annual pay raises at my job hasn't helped and the better paying jobs just aren't out there. I want to try and get a better job but that means I need to go back to college. I can't even afford the $50 application fee to see if I could get accepted, let alone the tuition and book fees.  

SO, why try and lose weight if you can't afford to eat right? If the money isn't there to buy healthy food, what's the hope in losing weight? Why try and excercise if you still eat the same boring Hamburger Helper, pastas, etc? I can't afford the "good for you" stuff. My budget is tight enough.  I have just about giving up hope.  

I twisted my knee this weekend and my doctor, today, tells me that "It is either a strained ligament or torn miniscus. Let it heal for two weeks and if it still hurts, then we'll get an x-ray and see about doing something. But, you should lose weight. Do you excercise?" "No," I say. "I can't bear to do anything." I might as well die fat and ugly than have to hear some skinny, slim female doctor tell me to do something about my weight but not offer me any hope. I can't walk, ride a bike, or climb stairs. My knees kill me on a bicycle and stairs. Maybe it is my mood, as she suggested, but do you think she offered to help me with that either? Nope. I cried in their bathroom for 5 minutes before I left to go to work. Now, I'm all depressed and sitting here typing on a message board for Dr. Phil. What do you do when your life stinks and your mood smells even worse? 

So just how fed up are you? I hear your discontent loud and clear, but what are you going to do about it? There is nobody else living in your skin but you. This is the only life, the only chance you've got. Let me ask you this, if you had a mule to do all of your carrying and carting, and it was the only mule you were ever going to have for your whole life, would you care for it the way you are caring for your own body? And let me ask you this, how many wheelchair bound and bed-ridden people do you think would trade places with you in a second, even in the shape you are in now?
Sometimes we have to hit our rock bottom before we wake up. If you are serious about changing your life, you've come to the right website. Use your discontent, anger, pain, and pathetic excuses and blaming to do some good for yourself and those around you and make a commitment to change.
I don't mean to sound judgemental, I can relate EXACTLY to what you are feeling, and I know what it took for me to change. My heartfelt best wishes to you.

August 23, 2005, 6:53 am CDT

Need advice

Hello All 

Is there anyone who can help me out. I'm 45yrs old and have been on Dr.Phil weight loss plan for 18 months, and have done good so far,And have lost 80lbs. I have not lost any weight in about 3 months. I go to the gym everyday,but Sunday. My workout are 1hr of hard cardio followed by 45 to 1hr of weight training. I have been real good about eat the right foods,no junk. I drink plenty of water and green tea plus vitiams.I can't seem to get off this platue. I really need some advice to help me lose the last 30lbs. 

Frustrate but won't give up 

SRR 

August 23, 2005, 8:23 am CDT

Exercise

Quote From: steverel

Hello All 

Is there anyone who can help me out. I'm 45yrs old and have been on Dr.Phil weight loss plan for 18 months, and have done good so far,And have lost 80lbs. I have not lost any weight in about 3 months. I go to the gym everyday,but Sunday. My workout are 1hr of hard cardio followed by 45 to 1hr of weight training. I have been real good about eat the right foods,no junk. I drink plenty of water and green tea plus vitiams.I can't seem to get off this platue. I really need some advice to help me lose the last 30lbs. 

SRR 

Wow, except for your age, I could have written this message verbatim! I'm 56 yrs old, but my story is the same as yours. I started in April 2004 and have lost 85 lbs, but have been at this same weight for the past 6 months. Have you tried going on the Rapid Start program outlined in Dr Phil's Food Guide? That broke my plateau... but I wasn't careful on all my trips this summer, and I got right back up to the weight at which I plateaued (sp?). I have one more trip in 2 weeks (a cruise) that I'll be careful on, but I plan to do Rapid Start as soon as I return from that. 

My daughter(she has lost 90 lbs this past year with this program) works with a personal trainer. They have both suggested changing up my exercises. Even though I work out 2 hrs 3x a week and 90 min 2x a week with a combination of cardio, functional and strength training, my body apparently has gotten used to using the same muscles and amount of calorie burn. Time to switch it up some. Actually, I decided to sign on with the personal trainer when I get back from the cruise as well. 

I too have another 30 lbs to lose. I continue to read back over Dr Phil's chapters to keep my head in the right place... I WILL NOT GIVE IN  to the frustration of all this. It is going to happen. Keep in touch here and let me know how it's going for you, and I'll do the same! 

Gail 

September 1, 2005, 10:32 am CDT

GOOD FOR YOU !

Quote From: steverel

Hello All 

SRR 

Have you tried something called "Body Flex"?  It's a breating and Stretching exercises. It burns fat (by increasing 02 in the body's blood stream) and I don't feel like I'm beating myself against a wall  with constant running or weight lifting and no results. .  I do this when I hit a "Wall" and I can't get the weight off. 

I also walk a 1/2 hour 3 days a week to break up the routine.  

Another thing that helps me to keep me in check.. is I never wear elastic waist bands in my clothing. Always buttons and zippers. Then I know immediately if I over did it.  

I lost 105lbs, in the year 2001  I have since had another baby, and I know what a struggle it is to keep the weight from coming back and how to manipulate my body into doing what I want inspite of it's stubborn streaks.  

Also, once a week, I give myself a break and have 1 day when I can eat whatever I want.  I also use meal replacment bars, and high energy bars to fight those "Hungry but not for really anything" times.  

Keep at it !  Success is the best revenge ! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last