Message Boards

Topic : Homeschooling

Number of Replies: 374
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:17:37 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you prefer an alternative to traditional schooling? Share tips, advice, support, and chat with others that homeschool their children.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 20, 2005, 8:05 am CDT

Home schooling

Well, I am hopeschooling my two boys this year. We started in the summer. We do 1/2 days 6 days a week and then our Sunday lesson. Both of my boys are Bi-Polar/ADHD etc. There are days we do a page and stop for 15 minutes. It depends on their activity and attention. After we move I am hoping to put them in a gymnastics or martial arts. I want them to have the activity and contact. 

I am willing to take any advice. I just ordered Switched On Schoolhouse which are used in the ADHD/Bi-Polar schools I looked into. There are tons of free items on-line. SM MacLeod 

August 20, 2005, 5:32 pm CDT

Hi there

Quote From: smmacleod

Well, I am hopeschooling my two boys this year. We started in the summer. We do 1/2 days 6 days a week and then our Sunday lesson. Both of my boys are Bi-Polar/ADHD etc. There are days we do a page and stop for 15 minutes. It depends on their activity and attention. After we move I am hoping to put them in a gymnastics or martial arts. I want them to have the activity and contact. 

I am willing to take any advice. I just ordered Switched On Schoolhouse which are used in the ADHD/Bi-Polar schools I looked into. There are tons of free items on-line. SM MacLeod 

I homeschool my daughters, well just one this year cause my 16 year old graduated this past June after six years of homeschooling. Our 11 year old will be homeschooled this year, we start homeschooling from 5th grade on,cause I don't like the class size for the uppper grades and I always find out that my girls can't do basic math. 

Our 11 year old daughter is ADHD with violent tendencies,not on medication cause when she is allowed to be a child,she is fine also with positive behavior modifications she has learned to control herself. 

We use Sonlight ...just the catalog for great book recommendations, many free resources,cause I don't care for "box curriculum" as I don't like the structure and the amount of time that it requires. I have a friend who uses ABEKA video and to me that is just like being in a classroom,but she isn't planning on homeschooling through highschool. 

Sounds like you are doing what you have found that works best for you and that is most important. We are starting the Monday after Labor Day,and following a Christian School's Calendar in our area, that doesn't take alot of days off. 

Having outside activities is great,just don't get yourself to stretched cause that will cause burnout and such. 

Shari 

September 7, 2005, 1:48 pm CDT

Homeschooling

Hi,  

I too have a son who is 13, ADD and just diagnosed with Cyclothymic Disorder - I'm not too sure what that is but I guess from what I understand it is like "pre-bipolar".... We were all so frustrated with middle school last year that I attempted to homeschool my son for the last three months of the year. I found a wonderful book "Homeschooling your child for free" It was jam packed with great websites and other useful information. Check it our at your local library!  

I wish you the best with homeschooling.  

CAdreamin  

October 6, 2005, 4:48 am CDT

Homeschooling

Quote From: cadreamin

Hi,  

I too have a son who is 13, ADD and just diagnosed with Cyclothymic Disorder - I'm not too sure what that is but I guess from what I understand it is like "pre-bipolar".... We were all so frustrated with middle school last year that I attempted to homeschool my son for the last three months of the year. I found a wonderful book "Homeschooling your child for free" It was jam packed with great websites and other useful information. Check it our at your local library!  

I wish you the best with homeschooling.  

CAdreamin  

I love that book!!! 

October 6, 2005, 4:56 am CDT

Homeschooling

My advice? Remember that learning happens in many situations.  It doesn't have to be from books.  Doing, reading, watching, every situation in life can be a learning one.   

Can you tell I'm an unschooling mom? :) But seriously, have FUN with it, don't let learning become drudgery for you or your children.  So long as you're having fun learning they will continue to want to.  So long as there is desire, there will be joy.  It's full circle.   

October 6, 2005, 4:57 am CDT

Homeschooling

Quote From: missshari

I homeschool my daughters, well just one this year cause my 16 year old graduated this past June after six years of homeschooling. Our 11 year old will be homeschooled this year, we start homeschooling from 5th grade on,cause I don't like the class size for the uppper grades and I always find out that my girls can't do basic math. 

Our 11 year old daughter is ADHD with violent tendencies,not on medication cause when she is allowed to be a child,she is fine also with positive behavior modifications she has learned to control herself. 

We use Sonlight ...just the catalog for great book recommendations, many free resources,cause I don't care for "box curriculum" as I don't like the structure and the amount of time that it requires. I have a friend who uses ABEKA video and to me that is just like being in a classroom,but she isn't planning on homeschooling through highschool. 

Sounds like you are doing what you have found that works best for you and that is most important. We are starting the Monday after Labor Day,and following a Christian School's Calendar in our area, that doesn't take alot of days off. 

Having outside activities is great,just don't get yourself to stretched cause that will cause burnout and such. 

Shari 

Our 11 year old daughter is ADHD with violent tendencies,not on medication cause when she is allowed to be a child,she is fine  

I love that attitude. I wish more parents would be willing to work on that.  I know some kids who could really benefit from it! 

October 10, 2005, 10:30 pm CDT

Homeschooling

Last year I used switched on school house...it was okay.  Im a kid whos into computers, and the way the software worked just wasnt sufficient for me, i constantly had to deal with glitches and software problems, and i seemed to know more than the tech support did.  it seems like many christian parents homeschool their children because either they dont want their kids exposed to the public schools or they want things taught withing their belief system.  Switched on school house appeals to those parents needs and wants.  My issue with the program was that i didnt want to constantly have to read through religious material during a subject that isnt even close to dealing with the bible.  i had to learn creation science for probably the first few months, and history was all religious history.  i have nothing against religious people, but i personally didnt enjoy studying something that was irrelevant to the class subject.  switched on school house needs to have seprate softwares for parents who arent homeschooling their kids for religious reasons.

i started homeschool because of my health problems.  i had been dealing with an irritable bowel so i would constantly feel sick and miss school.  last school year was my first year home schooling(9th grade).  The highschools new attendance policy was that if you missed 10 days you lost your class credits for that symester...i can miss 10 days like its nothing.  asthma, allergies, and of course flu season.  so with homeschool we(my mom and i) kept the same schedual as a public school would have, 5 day school week, weekends off, and obviously hollidy breaks.  because of my displeasure with the program i had last year my mom created my curriculum this year.  needless to say its better. 

one thing to make sure of is that your kids are happy with the homeschool idea.  because the worst thing you can do is have your kids be as miserable as they would be in an actual classroom.  and most importantly make sure that they have a social life.  i got so sick of being at home after being sick all of 8th grade, and homeschooling and still being sick in 9th grade.  Now, in 10th grade,  im taking karate. it gives me something to look forward to every week and gets me out of the house.  next year will be my last year of homeschool, i can graduate 1 year early because i will have enough credits.  The best advice i can give is to do as much reading and research about homeschool as you can before you start, it will go much more smoothly.

October 12, 2005, 6:23 pm CDT

VISION THERAPY home school ed son.

we started home scooling this year do to my son has traking and visong probles he is dislxea  

and the schools was not really doing any good we was getting a head then fall back so i thought what can it hrt we go from 1:30 to about 5;00 everday with sat sun day off, with a least a hR of home work when I am at work he has to do for me. 

Do you all worry is they are getting all they need or learning all the right things or any of that.? 

Alot we do is reading  Sci is all hands on alote of phoincs do to it was like starting all over with the reading we have been doing HTS vision therapy 1888-810-3937 They have one for ADD and things in that line as well  as traking . look in to this If you all have not IT really does Work  I really helped my son   Do to alot is with there eyes and not really add and the things schools are so fast to pass things off as. 

later scared and worred. 

October 16, 2005, 11:22 am CDT

Homeschooling

Quote From: mrsmedic

My advice? Remember that learning happens in many situations.  It doesn't have to be from books.  Doing, reading, watching, every situation in life can be a learning one.   

Can you tell I'm an unschooling mom? :) But seriously, have FUN with it, don't let learning become drudgery for you or your children.  So long as you're having fun learning they will continue to want to.  So long as there is desire, there will be joy.  It's full circle.   

LOL! Take a look at my rather unoriginal username. :) Hi from an unschooler in Canada. And that was great advice. Too many kids these days don't get a good foundation of joy to build their characters and lives on.

October 17, 2005, 7:45 am CDT

Homeschooler in College!

For all of you homeschooling parents.  My daughter graduated from high school and is now is college and doing GREAT.  Those that say that kids that are homeschooled are missing out have no clue.  My daughter begged me to keep home schooling her because she swore it would ruin her social life if we put her in 'public school'.  She was homeschooled from 6th through to the 'end'.   

Keep it up!  It is well worth it!  I just missed out on .. wait.. I missed out on NOTHING!  But I gained a great relationship with my daughter.   

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last