Message Boards

Topic : Coping with STDs

Number of Replies: 231
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:50:08 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you or a loved one have, or suspect you may have an STD? Share support and advice with others dealing with a sexually transmitted disease.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 12, 2007, 9:23 pm CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: kaileydoll

I was raped last summer, just before my 21st birthday. The rape itself didn't effect me as much as finding out that I had gotten an STD. I have never told anyone about any of this. I feel dirty and like no one would ever want to have a real relationship with me because of it. Ive had them burned of 2x by the doctor and they just wont seem to go away which stresses me out even more about it. Its all I think about. I dont KNOW how to cope with this. I dont really have close friends and I am a very proud person. Even admitting this on the message board, makes me feel like crap.

It is highly possible that the stress is causing the continuous outbreaks.  Try and calm down and breath.  I know, easier said than done.

April 16, 2007, 10:17 am CDT

Stop the STIGMA not the SEX!!!

Quote From: artamis_1982

AMEN!!!
              I too agree that sex is best when your in a loving commited relationship but, the fact is the world just isnt this way anymore. I see your point but the reality is that this just is not the case. STDs are very comomn and 80% of the population today are infected with some type of the herpies virus. Over 60% of women 18 to 35 are infected or will become infected with HPV (genital warts). I was not a sexualy active teen and I was aware and had been told over and over to protect myself ifI had sex but as a young teen girl and young women the reality of the social seen is that sex is very normal and part of growing up and maturing. There is a lot of pressure to have sex and as a teen and young woman all you really want is to be accepted. I know there are some groups of young people that are not having sex untill marrage but this group is small not the norm and sometimes not excepted by the majority. Also remember these young peoples minds are not yet done developing and they may not really have the ability to make good choices. Growing up I was told by my mother not to have sex and over time hearing this over and over I got the idea that sex was bad and wrong and that I should feel dirty if I was doing it. This carried over into my married life and has been a struggle to over come. I believe we should educate our children in a very different way and try to stop the stigma attached to these STDs. The  school systems are not able to educate our kids the way they need to be because of all the different views parents have. These kids need to know you can contract Herppies and HPV even if your using a condom!! Many kids do not know this. You can also get them with oral sex and this is a form of sex many teens are doing because they can be accepted by thier peers and still keep thier virginity as they see it. They think this girl or guy is from a well off family, he dresses well, hes clean ,looks good so he couldnt have an STD....WRONG!!! That describes me as a young girl and like I said I was not active untill... I was 17 and this was the first boy I was with about 3 or  4 mo. later I really started having problems to the point where I had to tell my Mom and see a doctor. I was admitted to the hospital and told I had herpies and HPV. I cryed for days. I'm 29 now and I talk to any and all young people I come in contact with about this. They are always shocked because they say God your so pretty and dress so well and look so good I would never have thought YOU would have IT. I am married now 8 years with a 7 year old and I remember saying I will never do to anyone what this guy did to me so I always was upfront as soon as any relationship started and it was so hard. I lost some relatonships but when I met my husband and told him he accepted it. By the way he is still STD free. So you can have a relationship and sex and kids and not pass on your STD if your educated about it and honest because there always is that chance. Any way try not to judge and make such blanket statements because it just furthers the stigma attached to STDs and the truth is what really keeps these STDs alive is the stigma that no one wants  to talk about or be honest about having an STD. If there was no stigma people would be honest with thier partners and be tested because there would be no shame or the idea that what I dont know wont hurt me.

April 20, 2007, 12:50 pm CDT

hey girl its not so bad

Quote From: kaileydoll

I was raped last summer, just before my 21st birthday. The rape itself didn't effect me as much as finding out that I had gotten an STD. I have never told anyone about any of this. I feel dirty and like no one would ever want to have a real relationship with me because of it. Ive had them burned of 2x by the doctor and they just wont seem to go away which stresses me out even more about it. Its all I think about. I dont KNOW how to cope with this. I dont really have close friends and I am a very proud person. Even admitting this on the message board, makes me feel like crap.
I know how you feel. im 21 and caught herpes almost a yr ago. i wasnt raped so i dont know how you feel there...but im very sorry for you pain. But you cant sit around and worry about it all the time. at first i felt really nasty too but i had to move on and relize i couldnt do anything about it and i was going to have it for the rest of my life. if you quit stressing your break outs might end so givfe it a try. and when you look in the mirror dont say that your a bad person or that your nasty...look at whats on the inside and it willl help. some people meynot want to be with you but you will find someone who sees you for the person on the inside and not for what you have... and you said your a proud person...well maybe you need to learn to be a humble person... Good luck and im not trying to be rude just saying whats going to help you out in your life

April 28, 2007, 3:14 pm CDT

QUESTION??? FOR A FRIEND..

CAN YOU GET HPV  ON YOUR TONGUE??????

April 28, 2007, 10:01 pm CDT

Herpes

I got it from a boyfriend in 1993.  As bad as it can be, from what my doctor told me, I'm one of the lucky ones.  It's been years since I've had an actual outbreak.  Unfortunately, men don't stay around long once they find out.

I have read only a few of the posts so far and I want to make SURE everyone is aware of  how easy it is to spread this virus.  If someone has a coldsore & performs oral sex, you WILL get Genital Herpes.  I've heard numerous stories over the years where one person blamed another for cheating on them, but that wasn't the case at all.  Not many people realize that coldsores are a form of the Herpes virus.  I can't tell you how many eyes have grown big after I told them that little fact.  And it's a fact that isn't repeated much on many TV shows & article I have read.

Protection & honesty are the only ways to live with this curse.

April 29, 2007, 9:58 am CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: jeanie6868

CAN YOU GET HPV  ON YOUR TONGUE??????

Yes is the only answer to that. you can get it in your mouth on your lips in the genital and anywhere that touches a infected area... so be care ful. it is very painful no matter where you get tit. if you have it in your mouth take baking soda and cake it on the infected area. and also use a strong killing mouth wash... it worked for my soar i had in my mouth.................

May 7, 2007, 7:50 am CDT

hpv

Quote From: fairydream420

Yes is the only answer to that. you can get it in your mouth on your lips in the genital and anywhere that touches a infected area... so be care ful. it is very painful no matter where you get tit. if you have it in your mouth take baking soda and cake it on the infected area. and also use a strong killing mouth wash... it worked for my soar i had in my mouth.................
can you get gential warts in your mouth???

May 9, 2007, 4:30 pm CDT

Coping with STDs

My wife told me that her physican prescribed an oral medciation that I needed to take becasue she has a vaginal disorder (I believe she indicated a yeast infection) and if I dont take the medication we risk passing it back and forth.  Based on what I have seen on the internet, it just doesn't fit.

My question is:  "Given that I have no symptoms, and never seen her doctor, what are the odds that what she has is somethat that is "natuarally occuring" vs. being a sexually transmitted disease...which I know that she did not get from me?" 

May 14, 2007, 5:10 pm CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: mantoine

I am currently taking Valtrex.  I think it is helping.  My doctor wants me to try it for 3 months. It's expensive, but if you have mail order, it's more affordable.  You will get 3 months supply for the price of one month going to a pharmacy.
 IF YOU COULD TELL ME WHICH MAIL ORDER YOU CAN GO THROUGH, I USE VALTREX EVEYDAY AND HAVE OUTBREAKS MONTHLY.  SO I USE IT AS A SUPPRESIVE AND AS A PREVENTIVE. IT IS OUTRAGIOUSLY EXPENSIVE...ANY INFO WILL HELP THANK YOU!!!

May 14, 2007, 5:18 pm CDT

HERPES 1& 2

Quote From: amopargirl

I got it from a boyfriend in 1993.  As bad as it can be, from what my doctor told me, I'm one of the lucky ones.  It's been years since I've had an actual outbreak.  Unfortunately, men don't stay around long once they find out.

I have read only a few of the posts so far and I want to make SURE everyone is aware of  how easy it is to spread this virus.  If someone has a coldsore & performs oral sex, you WILL get Genital Herpes.  I've heard numerous stories over the years where one person blamed another for cheating on them, but that wasn't the case at all.  Not many people realize that coldsores are a form of the Herpes virus.  I can't tell you how many eyes have grown big after I told them that little fact.  And it's a fact that isn't repeated much on many TV shows & article I have read.

Protection & honesty are the only ways to live with this curse.

THIS IS DEFINALELY TRUE! THE SAD THING IS NO ONE REALLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISEASE. ANYTIME SOMEONE HAS A MOUTH SORE IT IS CONSIDERED HERPES 1, ONCE IT TOUCHES  THE GENITALS IT BECOMES HERPES 2.

IVE BEEN TOLD THAT HERPES DOESNT STAY ON OBJECTS, THAT IT ONLY PASSES THROUGH SKIN TO SKIN CONTACT..DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT THIS?

First | Prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next | Last