Message Boards

Topic : Are You Afraid to Age?

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:53:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They say age is just a number, but many people will do just about anything to stay young. Are you afraid to age? How do you stay young in mind and body?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 11, 2006, 3:19 am CDT

i want to be young forever

i hate the thought of ageing. 

for some reason when i was a kid i thought i'd be young for ever, hah, how naive. 

i am 32.  as i have gotten older, i has seen signs of ageing not just only on the out side.  aches and pains, wrinkles, and well, gravity isn't being kind to me either, lol.  i have a small issue with my yunf=g girls ageing too, they make me feel older.  i try not to dwell on the ineviatable too much, but i'm hateing looking into the mirror every year.

if i had the resources, i would have cosmetic surgery, for sure, but i can't justify the costs, or the risks.  i also don't want to be a bad role model for my girls and give them my petty issues too.  it's all just a losing battle.

August 11, 2006, 8:09 pm CDT

ways i ward off old age

i've been having a think of ways i keep feeling young & not looking older than i am.

my girls keep me young, i make sure i can keep up with them, sports, playing etc.  i work in construction with my husband, so my day to day work is very physical.  i keep my "sometimes foods" at a minimum at shopping day once a week.  when i reward myself i don't always buy chocolate.  this is hard as i am a chocoholic big time, lol.

i choose to take the stairs, over lifts and make sure i do some sort of excersice through out the day, even yoga to relax b4 bed.  i don't over-do anything, i beleive in everything in moderation, with sensibilty.

i am also known to just be silly at times for no real reason, but it lets my inner child out now n then.

August 29, 2006, 8:58 am CDT

Absolutely not!

I had a few moments when I turned 40, but I was a different person then. I went through a major inner overhaul when I was about 42-43, and it's all been uphill from there. I got my mind right, and my outer self began to reflect what I feel inside. I began to look younger because I finally liked myself and I accept every wrinkle and grey hair that comes along. I've earned every one of them and they are "character" indicators. My friends and family ask why I don't color my hair to match my new youthfulness, but the truth is I don't like to be locked into a habit that gets to be never-ending. This is me and I like me.
I'm coming up on my 50th birthday very soon and I'm looking forward to it!

September 12, 2006, 8:34 pm CDT

Grateful for the years

I'm 45 and lucky to be alive.  I was a bit of a wild child in my youth and much of what I did should have killed me, but I'm still here.  I'm struggling with many issues, but age isn't one of them.

When I was growing up, the older you were, the more respect you commanded.  I'm a Southern farm kid and was raised to be quiet and listen to my elders.  There are times when that isn't really the appropriate way to treat a child - I was molested for about 14 years and no one would listen or believe because I was a child - but all things considered, it really was better for me to be "seen and not heard".  Had I been a loudmouth, I'd have missed the most wonderful stories, so much family history, and so much laughter from the adults around me.  By keeping quiet and listening, I learned that older people really were wiser than the rest of us and if I really wanted to learn (I wanted to know everything as a child) then I'd listen to my elders.  I'm glad I was raised that way.

Now, that having been said, I wanted nothing more as a child than to get old.  I wanted to be one of the wise people, one who was respected.  I knew that I'd only get respect if I got old and wise.  I wanted to be someone others turned to for advice, someone who had, if not all the answers, then at least a lot of them.

The older I get, the more respect I get from young people, though not nearly as much as older people got when I was a child.  Still, it's better than what I got when I was a kid.  Young people actually listen to me now.  I'm grateful for that, and grateful that the idiot stunts I tried as a kid didn't kill me.  Every additional year means just a little bit more respect, just a little more knowledge, and a little more wisdom.

I still want to know everything, I want to learn learn learn.....I have more books than the law should allow.  Looks be damned, I want to know more about the world, about life.  I don't care about gray hair, wrinkles or saggy boobs, I care what's in my head and my heart.  The rest is just window dressing and almost completely irrelevent to WHO I am. 

I'm grateful for every birthday because it means I'm still alive, and as long as I'm alive, I still have a chance to learn and maybe even to grow.  The "growing" part is why I came here.  :-)

Maybe that's trite, I don't know.  I do know that it's true.  I want to keep getting older, and I hope someday I'll be as respected as old people were when I was growing up.

Valoren

September 17, 2006, 4:54 am CDT

Hillsmum

I just wanted to let you know-I REALLY like your picture!

September 17, 2006, 5:11 am CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: valoren

I'm 45 and lucky to be alive.  I was a bit of a wild child in my youth and much of what I did should have killed me, but I'm still here.  I'm struggling with many issues, but age isn't one of them.

When I was growing up, the older you were, the more respect you commanded.  I'm a Southern farm kid and was raised to be quiet and listen to my elders.  There are times when that isn't really the appropriate way to treat a child - I was molested for about 14 years and no one would listen or believe because I was a child - but all things considered, it really was better for me to be "seen and not heard".  Had I been a loudmouth, I'd have missed the most wonderful stories, so much family history, and so much laughter from the adults around me.  By keeping quiet and listening, I learned that older people really were wiser than the rest of us and if I really wanted to learn (I wanted to know everything as a child) then I'd listen to my elders.  I'm glad I was raised that way.

Now, that having been said, I wanted nothing more as a child than to get old.  I wanted to be one of the wise people, one who was respected.  I knew that I'd only get respect if I got old and wise.  I wanted to be someone others turned to for advice, someone who had, if not all the answers, then at least a lot of them.

The older I get, the more respect I get from young people, though not nearly as much as older people got when I was a child.  Still, it's better than what I got when I was a kid.  Young people actually listen to me now.  I'm grateful for that, and grateful that the idiot stunts I tried as a kid didn't kill me.  Every additional year means just a little bit more respect, just a little more knowledge, and a little more wisdom.

I still want to know everything, I want to learn learn learn.....I have more books than the law should allow.  Looks be damned, I want to know more about the world, about life.  I don't care about gray hair, wrinkles or saggy boobs, I care what's in my head and my heart.  The rest is just window dressing and almost completely irrelevent to WHO I am. 

I'm grateful for every birthday because it means I'm still alive, and as long as I'm alive, I still have a chance to learn and maybe even to grow.  The "growing" part is why I came here.  :-)

Maybe that's trite, I don't know.  I do know that it's true.  I want to keep getting older, and I hope someday I'll be as respected as old people were when I was growing up.

Valoren

First of all -  I liked what you wrote-thank you-

Second-  I hope you eventually did tell about being molested for so many years-that is not something to keep to yourself-

So you like to read ALOT??   WONDERFUL!!!   So do I!!!!

Maybe some day you can write a book of your own!!!

I also want to say that so many people  spend so much money on 'fountain of youth ' products-  I watch those infomercials and the home shopping networks  and noticed all the 'say young looking products'  Do they REALLY work?   So many people spend so much money on that stuff-not to mention all the stories about plastic surgery or what not to make you look younger-

The heart is what matters most ( and having a healthy positive attitude as well)-  Age is just a number- 

We are all going to get older-  That is inevitable-    Look at the folks who are in their 70's and 80's and 90's- They are doing things that keep them 'young' active and LIVING- 

Age gracefully- have a good attitiude-  and do not worry about what other people think-  And do not feel or be swayed by  what you see advertised on the telly or papers or internet to have to 'leel' young-  I think it is how you feel inside (even despite aches and pains) that will make a difference for you-  Be the best you can be and look for people who  see the BEST in you!     (  I am learning learning and learning as much as I possibly can-  I did not have it easy growing up either- )

September 19, 2006, 4:26 pm CDT

ageless

I think my husband is more of afraid me aging than I am.  I  take care of myself without being extreme.  I'm comfortable in my skin and still attractive enough  at age 62 to  get  all the attention I need.  Sometimes I flirt with other men in front of him just to prove to him I still have what it takes.   Two days ago I was hit on by a 28 year old.  I think that will keep him quiet for awhile!!!

September 21, 2006, 7:40 am CDT

Aging.....not a problem

Since I was a child, for some reason I have always thought to myself "life doesn't start until you are 40".  And it is really funny, I am now 41 and looking back on things, that is what happened for me.  At the age of 40 I was a depressed and miserable person but began to realize it pretty quickly.  I got a divorce after 9 years of marriage and met someone (after my divorce was final) on Match.com.  He is the most wonderful man I have ever been with and we have been married now for 4 months.  So aging does not bother me at all.  And I love Robin's attitude about the 50's.  I am looking so forward to it. 

Rox

September 22, 2006, 9:00 am CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

I am not scared of aging in the sense that I am afraid to look old but the problems that age brings, such as health.  I look at my mother and my grandmother and see what age has done to them because they have taken such poor care of themselves.  My grandmother had a stroke and was partially paralyzed when she was 59.  A year ago my mom nearly died from pneumonia and she has problems walking up a small hill without getting completely winded.

I see myself travelling down the same road.  I am 30 years old and severely overweight and have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and high cholesterol.  I know as you get older, these conditions become more severe and harder to fix.  I am trying to fix the problems but it is a long hard road but I am doing it both for myself and to set a good example for my daughter.

September 22, 2006, 11:03 am CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

i always thought of "aging" as a fact coming in future , at my 44th year of life , working as an Iranian anesthesiologist , divorced , having no kids , but having the ability to make happy other's kids,(as i did at the school reopening recently) , i am still waiting for "aging" to come . Maybe some day i will see that it has come already, and is a setteled down guest , i will manage the conditions at the proper time .

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last