Message Boards

Topic : Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Number of Replies: 84
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 02:17:36 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you or a loved one had gastric bypass surgery? Share the pros and cons with others contemplating this procedure.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 6, 2006, 6:50 pm CST

I had gastric bypass

I had gastric bypass surgery (Open RNY) in April 2004. The surgery saved my life.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the surgery to someone else. Its a very personal decision. Its a risky surgery. Its life changing, and not something that should be entered into lightly. Medical testing should be done, therapy should be obtained, a support group should be attended, and lots and lots of research should be done on the surgery itself and the surgeons you are thinking about using.

Surgery is not a quick fix. If you are not ready to change your life forever, surgery is not for you. The surgery is a tool to help you lose weight initially. Its up to you to continue to take the weight off, and maintain it once you reach your target weight. The stomach pouch CAN and does stretch. Anyone contemplating this surgery for anything other than health reasons will be extremely disappointed. Weight is often a symptom of something else, and I've found that as the weight comes off, those things the weight was hiding begin to surface. You become very vulnerable.

Like I said in the beginning, this surgery saved my life. I started at 288lbs, a size 26/28. I am now 136lbs, size 6. My BMI went from a very unhealthy 46.5 to 22.something. It took me 18 months to loose the weight, and I've been maintaining for a year now. Its been a long journey, some of it very difficult, especially from the mental/emotional side. I've been blessed with a very loving and supportive husband. I've been blessed with wonderful friends. I can run with my children again. Not that it was in trouble before, but I have a better, closer relationship with my husband. I found myself again. For that, I am forever greatful. The looks are just a bonus.

November 9, 2006, 5:26 pm CST

He did it!

My husband had his surgery a week ago today and has already lost 20 pounds!  The staff at the hospital was amazed at how quickly he recovered and he's very happy so far.   I will be happy as long as he is healthy.  He is adjusting to not eating much and misses food a little, but he said it's worth it.   For anyone who is considering it, so far it has been a good experience.

November 10, 2006, 9:53 pm CST

You Can Do It!!

Quote From: sweet2u

I had gastric bypass 7 yrs ago, 1999. I was 24 yrs old and weighed 300lbs standing 5'7. I was miserable and could not do alot of things that people take for granted. My family was against the whole surgery even my husband, he liked me fat. I decided if insurance paid for it I would have it done if not then I wouldnt. Well, ins did pay, 100% in fact. I took it as a sign from God to do it. I stayed in the hospital for 7 days had 1 small complication, developed some fluid in my lungs, they fixed me up and I went home fine. In the hosp I had already lost 20lbs, of course I was excited. I kept losing fast and by the first 8 months I had lost 100lbs. I was 180lbs. I still was not at my goal of 150 but, I had stopped losing weight. I was very disappointed because other ppl lost more than me but, I just figured that was where my body wanted to be. In 2001 I had a tummy tuck to remove the sagging fat hanging on my legs from my stomach, It was bad. The tummy tuck was painless, I was surprised. I am overall happy with the surgery and weight loss however, it is only a quick fix. You still must learn how to eat right and less cause as I know you will/can fall into old habbits and the weight can be gained back. I had another child in 2001 before the tummy tuck and I gained 50 lbs with that pregnancy, I still have to lose it and we are in 2006 now. It is hard and I feel horrible about it. Anyway, if anyone has any questions feel free to contact me at sweet2u72875@yahoo.com

Good Luck, Wendy

Dear Wendy,

I read you Qoute and I can imagine how hard it is.. I am going to have the surgery and at the moment am going through all the test and meeting with the nutiritionist.

I can't relate but I know Oprah had Dr.Oz on her show and he has this book and it went over fundamental on weight loss. Seemed like key info on how to check labels and other great tips. Check it out.

Good Luck,

Izzie

November 14, 2006, 4:28 pm CST

I am one month post -op

Hello all....I had the surgary on Oct 16th (one month and 1day ago) and I am finally starting to feel "norman" again. I have my good and bad days. I have lost a total of 34 lbs since I started the two week semi-liquid diet on Oct 2. But my weight loss has significantly slowed down in the last 2 weeks (only about 4 lbs) which is really frustereateing.  I have my first post-op appnt with the DR on the 22 of Nov and I have lost of questions for them.  I was very well prepared ( read everything I could find) but nothing prepared me for the loss of a friend( food).  And for how horrible I felt....I had to have a blood transfusion due to loss of blood during surgery which ment that I stayed in the hospital for 4 days.....and then the second week post -op I got some kind of a intestinal infection which caused constant diarrea ( which when your not eating AT ALL is more like fire coming out...stomach acid) sorry to be so grafic but this is real life after gastric bypass.  If I had known how I would feel having these complications I cant say that I would not have done this because I was committed but still the reality of it is it sucks for about a month.  I would love to communicate with others who have had this done and ones who are considering it.  GOOD LUCK- Gwen

November 30, 2006, 8:22 pm CST

Diabetic question about this surgery

I have type 1 diabetes.  I am 34 and have had diabetes for 26 years.  I want this surgery and am sure insurance will cover it; however I'm not sure of the risks for diabetics.  I know I should research this; however I just wonder if anyone diabetic has had this surgery and been happy with the results or ran into any medical issues with it?  Also once having the surgery, is the sagging skin something that you must take care of with a tummy tuck to not feel strange about it.  I am 205 lbs and 5'1".  The doctors say my goal weight should be 110-120 lbs due to my small frame and height.  With my blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes this surgery could prolong my life.  Please advise if you are diabetic with good or bad experiences with the gastric bypass surgery.

Thank you

December 12, 2006, 3:24 pm CST

gastric bypass surgery

Quote From: karilyn

I had the surgery about 15 years ago. It didn't work for me because I wasn't ready. I was badly depressed and needed counseling. So you have to  be in the right mind-set for surgery as big as this. I lost 20lbs and started eating too much and it just stretched my stomach all over again. I am really happy for anyone it works for. So to all of you who are getting the surgery......Good Luck and let me know how things go. I am here for you if you need me.

Kathy

I had the surgery in May of 1996. My beginning weight was 454 pounds and I rapidly lost down to 200 pounds. I went from a size 32 to a size 12-14, and probably could have worn a size 10 if I had had the money to have cosmetic surgery to remove the excess skin. I actually kept the weight off for about three years, and then I started gaining weight again. This was very frustrating because I knew what I was eating, (about 700 calories per day) and I felt I did not eat enough to be gaining this much weight again. It was like a nightmare! By the time I had figured out what was happening I had gained about 130 pounds back. I have since started loosing again, though this time it is much slower. I tell everyone who is considering gastric bypass that it is NOT for everyone.  I would never have made it this far if not for the help of my gastroenterologist, whom I trust completely. My advice to people who have had the surgery would be to keep track of the weight loss/gain and don't let it get out of hand. It is much easier to loose 5 pounds than 50. And to those who are considering having this procedure done, check out all your options. There are new procedures that are being studied that are not as life altering.  Gastric bypass has so many side effects and complications that if they can be avoided, they should at all costs.

December 19, 2006, 5:20 pm CST

surgery, for my mom?

I have just moved my mom in with my little family. Brought her up here to Colorado from Louisiana. She wasn't in the best of health when I got the call from family to go get her. She just seemed fine on the phone when I spoke to her, but when I seen her. She was so sick. My mom is 4'10 300 pounds. I brought her home with us (husband and kids) so we could take care of her. Now I have to bathe her on a daily bases and i hvae told my children to stop doing everything for her. If she wants it she has to get up and do it her self. She can barely wipe her own rear. She had gone 7 months without seeing a doctor. So she had no high blood presure meds are any of the other 5 meds she takes. I want to help her and I don't know what eles to do. For the first 3 weeks she was here Iwouldn't leave my house. I'm scared I come home and I find her dead. I have called a few doctors that do lap band to see if they would take medicaid, but no one will here. What do I do from here. I just can't leave her like this.. Please help...

January 13, 2007, 8:17 pm CST

Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Quote From: wifeandmother

I have just moved my mom in with my little family. Brought her up here to Colorado from Louisiana. She wasn't in the best of health when I got the call from family to go get her. She just seemed fine on the phone when I spoke to her, but when I seen her. She was so sick. My mom is 4'10 300 pounds. I brought her home with us (husband and kids) so we could take care of her. Now I have to bathe her on a daily bases and i hvae told my children to stop doing everything for her. If she wants it she has to get up and do it her self. She can barely wipe her own rear. She had gone 7 months without seeing a doctor. So she had no high blood presure meds are any of the other 5 meds she takes. I want to help her and I don't know what eles to do. For the first 3 weeks she was here Iwouldn't leave my house. I'm scared I come home and I find her dead. I have called a few doctors that do lap band to see if they would take medicaid, but no one will here. What do I do from here. I just can't leave her like this.. Please help...
Does she leave the house much? Can she drive? Do people give her junk food? Do you keep junk food in the house?

January 27, 2007, 7:02 pm CST

Quote From: justheather

I have type 1 diabetes.  I am 34 and have had diabetes for 26 years.  I want this surgery and am sure insurance will cover it; however I'm not sure of the risks for diabetics.  I know I should research this; however I just wonder if anyone diabetic has had this surgery and been happy with the results or ran into any medical issues with it?  Also once having the surgery, is the sagging skin something that you must take care of with a tummy tuck to not feel strange about it.  I am 205 lbs and 5'1".  The doctors say my goal weight should be 110-120 lbs due to my small frame and height.  With my blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes this surgery could prolong my life.  Please advise if you are diabetic with good or bad experiences with the gastric bypass surgery.

Thank you

Today is my first time on this web site and i read what you wrote i am 3months out before I had surgery i had type 1 also, high blood pressure, and I also have PCOS. Type 1 is gone, blood pressure is normal and PCOS is under control. I am so glad I had this surgery I love what my body is turning out like . I eat less drink lots of water and work out about 4 times a week. I weighed in at 302 im 5'9 and now i'm 215 I was a 26 now 16 I have a great experience with this and don't regret any of it. If I can help let me know .... Good luck!!!!!

February 1, 2007, 2:18 pm CST

Quote From: purplepenny

Does she leave the house much? Can she drive? Do people give her junk food? Do you keep junk food in the house?
Medicaid does not pay for lapband surgery but will pay for other types of gastric bypass surgery. You need to seek advice of her MD to see what you need to do to qualify. In the long run, your mother needs to want this for herself as it is not an easy or quick solution.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last