Message Boards

Topic : General Advice

Number of Replies: 584
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:42:49 pm
Author : dataimport
Share advice and support with other parents of infants and toddlers.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 18, 2005, 9:03 am CDT

General Advice

Quote From: mom_of_dk

My daughter is 20 months old, and still takes her pacifier. She actually seems more depedent on it now than she did before.. :( I don't mind her having it for nap/bedtime, but I am trying to get her off it during the day. She walks around saying "pacy" until I give it to her. My doctor recommended at her 18 month checkup for me to work on taking her off, but advised not to go "cold turkey" . I feel guilty if she asks for it and I tell her no. She starts to cry and I just give in. Does anyone have any really great tricks for this? ? this is my first child and I have no idea how to handle.. :( She also goes to daycare 4days a week, so i need a strategy that i can work with them on as well. .. HELP .. : )

My son was a "suzzie" fan.  I didn't start worrying about it until he was almost 3 and starting playschool.  I didn't want him to be the odd one. I just took nail scissors and cut the tips off all of his soothers. He didn't like the rough edge and stopped within a few weeks. 

BUT, when he was 4 we went together and opened a bank account for him, deposited his birthday money from family gifts and he got his own debit card. He was so business like and grown up signing his name, but the first purchase he made with his card was a new soother.  I think it may have been a test to see how much control he would be allowed over his account.  He used it for a few days but when we didn't react, he dropped it. 

October 18, 2005, 9:08 am CDT

General Advice

Quote From: vanessa1

Hello, I have a 10 month old baby girl. I breast fed her from the day she was born, but in the beginnig I needed to give her formula as well.  This continued until she was 7 and half months old.  She suddenly went off milk altogether. I changed formulas, but still she would not drink it.  I then added flavour to her milk e.g strawberry etc.. but still she refused.  I then started giving her just breast milk.  About  month ago she did want breast milk either. Does any one have any advice?  do babies have to drink milk? She drink s about 1litre of juice a day so she gets enough liquid.  She eats very well as well.
Have you considered whether she is lactose intolerant? If this is just a preference, then give her water not juice for fluids and let her get hungry. I bet she will go back to milk when she is hungry enough.

October 19, 2005, 9:47 am CDT

AZ Mom

I am a young mom of 2 very great kids. My daughter is 2 1/2 and my son will be one next week. For the first 3 weeks of September my parents took my children on vacation with them. About a week after they got back I noticed my son would cry non-stop if I didn't pick him up. He has no interest in any of his toys and even refuses to try to walk. His Doctor said he's going through serperation anxiety and if it get much worse he might have an anxiety attack. This has been going on for way over 3 weeks now. I've tried ingnoring him, but that only makes it worse. Any thoughts on how to get my son to stop screaming?  

October 19, 2005, 11:47 am CDT

It Gets Better

Quote From: madi2ava

I need some help!...My 6 mo. old daughter is sooo attached to me that she won't let anyone, sometimes not even my husband, hold her or care for her.  She will just scream and cry until I come and get her and then she's all smiles again.  I know it's normal for babies to be attached to their mommy but this is getting insane!  I  am totally drained and tired all the time because even though I have lots of family and my husband to help I feel  like I'm the only one who she will let care for her.  I just never get to take a break.  I 've tried to just let her cry but she will not stop and cries so hard she starts coughing and choking.  Plus, I feel bad for whoever is trying to hold her because she is just crying and crying so I eventually take her from them.  My older daughter was attached to me as a baby but not nearly like this one is.  It's really sucking the life out of me.  

Any advice on how to wean her off of me a little so I can get a much needed break? 

Thanks, Natalie 

Hi.  My son who is now almost 10 months, did the exact same thing when he was around 6 months.  He would even throw up sometimes!  I think this is normal at this age because they are learning about object permanance, and they know what and WHO they want.  We changed his schedule up a little bit.  He would not let my husband and me eat dinner together, so we don't even begin to prepare dinner until after 7, his bedtime.  This does 2 things, more time with our son that is uninterrupted and my husband and I can enjoy dinner without him in my lap or screaming.  Take heart, it does get better.  Good luck to you.

October 21, 2005, 11:22 am CDT

General Advice

a friend of mine actually tells her children who are 4 and 6 to hit back if they r hit by other children and says she wants her children to stick up for themselves....but a few times i actually witness her own children throwing the first punches.  this frustrates me beyond belief, i just had to know what other mothers think of this parenting advice

October 21, 2005, 9:25 pm CDT

genreal advise

Quote From: mommy27

Hi.  My son who is now almost 10 months, did the exact same thing when he was around 6 months.  He would even throw up sometimes!  I think this is normal at this age because they are learning about object permanance, and they know what and WHO they want.  We changed his schedule up a little bit.  He would not let my husband and me eat dinner together, so we don't even begin to prepare dinner until after 7, his bedtime.  This does 2 things, more time with our son that is uninterrupted and my husband and I can enjoy dinner without him in my lap or screaming.  Take heart, it does get better.  Good luck to you.

Hi  

I am a new mom at 36 and do not proclaim to know it all. What has worked best  for me and my husband has been a frequent but routine change in caregivers. I don't know your location to family,but, if it is accessible and they are willing, schedule designated weekend for "family time". The first weekend of every month my sister takes my 15 month old for 24 hours. IT's FABULOUS.  If family is not accisslbe and you can afford a baby sitter, schedule a couple of hours for " YOU TIME". 

AMAZING REJUVINATION TIME.  

If  you want more conversation email @ pmehaffey@bellsouthn.net. --- I have more suggestion up my sleeve. Easy to do at 15 months vs. 6 months. However, I remember those days oh so clearly and sometiomes long for them. 

Free suggestions from a new mom who has been ther and done that. 

October 22, 2005, 8:03 pm CDT

toddler sleeping question....

My daughter is 2 yrs. old and still sleeping in her crib. Friends have told me to keep her in it until she starts to climb out, then get a toddler bed for her. I don't want her to be 3 yrs. old and still in her crib. When is usually the best time/ age to transition her to a more "grown up" bed?

October 22, 2005, 8:49 pm CDT

General Advice

Quote From: nicoleao

My daughter is 2 yrs. old and still sleeping in her crib. Friends have told me to keep her in it until she starts to climb out, then get a toddler bed for her. I don't want her to be 3 yrs. old and still in her crib. When is usually the best time/ age to transition her to a more "grown up" bed?
every one is different and yuo are the mother of your child and you need to follow your parenting instincts on this. My oldest was about 30 months (2 1/2) when she went in her toddler bed, it took her 3 nights to get used to it, My youngest was just over two because she always liked sleeping with her sister, she isn't three yet but sleeps well in her toddler bed. Some kids take longer then others to adapt to a new bed, so you may want to start soon if you want her in her toddler bed by the time she is 3. When we first got the toddler bed for my oldest, we let her play in it off and on during the day, we put her favorite dolls and stuffed animals on it for her and when it was time for her to go to bed, she laid in it for a bout 5 minutes and decided that she wanted her crib, so we put her in her crib for the night and the second night, i sat beside her bed and read to her and played some, she did fall asleep some but then woke and wanted her crib then the third night, I put her to bed a little later, read to her and played some and she was fine and slept through the night and she has been on her own since. My youngest, didn't care for the toddler bed only because she was sleeping with her sister which is fine, I don't mind them sleeping to gether but sometimes my giorls fall asleep on the floor or couch and when this happens I put my youngest in her own bed and she sleeps through the night. Hope this helps.

October 24, 2005, 10:14 am CDT

General Advice

Quote From: jettav

every one is different and yuo are the mother of your child and you need to follow your parenting instincts on this. My oldest was about 30 months (2 1/2) when she went in her toddler bed, it took her 3 nights to get used to it, My youngest was just over two because she always liked sleeping with her sister, she isn't three yet but sleeps well in her toddler bed. Some kids take longer then others to adapt to a new bed, so you may want to start soon if you want her in her toddler bed by the time she is 3. When we first got the toddler bed for my oldest, we let her play in it off and on during the day, we put her favorite dolls and stuffed animals on it for her and when it was time for her to go to bed, she laid in it for a bout 5 minutes and decided that she wanted her crib, so we put her in her crib for the night and the second night, i sat beside her bed and read to her and played some, she did fall asleep some but then woke and wanted her crib then the third night, I put her to bed a little later, read to her and played some and she was fine and slept through the night and she has been on her own since. My youngest, didn't care for the toddler bed only because she was sleeping with her sister which is fine, I don't mind them sleeping to gether but sometimes my giorls fall asleep on the floor or couch and when this happens I put my youngest in her own bed and she sleeps through the night. Hope this helps.
 Thankyou very much for the advice. I greatly appreciate it!

October 24, 2005, 1:06 pm CDT

I don't think much of it

Quote From: sunnkiss

a friend of mine actually tells her children who are 4 and 6 to hit back if they r hit by other children and says she wants her children to stick up for themselves....but a few times i actually witness her own children throwing the first punches.  this frustrates me beyond belief, i just had to know what other mothers think of this parenting advice

I have taught my children to be assertive, but I have never condoned violence.  I use the role play technique with my kids for anything that they are afraid to do.  It really works.  For example, when a little boy took my daughter's donation money in sunday school (a long time ago), I taught her to ask him for it back-directly and loudly in front of the teacher. He got away with it once, we discussed and planned for it and after he was embarassed the second time, he never did it again.   

We don't live in a community where there IS a lot of physical violence.  I might change my view if my kids were getting assaulted. Americans have a much different culture than Canadians. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last