Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Cult Confrontations

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 15, 2006, 12:03:46 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine growing up in a free society, but being forced to live in isolation without money, TV, cars, or contact with your family. That’s what Dr. Phil’s guests say happened to them in a religious sect known as the Aggressive Christianity Mission Training Corps. Maura brought her daughter, Rebekah, with her to the sect when Rebekah was 12. The mother and daughter say members of the cult abuse children and belittle adults who question authority. How can they move on with their lives? Then, Paula says her daughter, Stacy, cut her off when she joined the Aggressive Christianity Mission Training Corps. Paula hasn’t seen Stacy in 10 years, and maintains that her daughter was brainwashed and emotionally kidnapped. Find out what happens when Dr. Phil sends Paula to the compound with a private investigator to find Stacy. Then, Fawn B. and her friend, Fawn H., had recently escaped a polygamist cult and were having trouble adjusting to their new life. Fawn B. has been excelling in school, but the other Fawn dropped out, ran away and has experimented with sex, drugs and alcohol. Can the troubled teen turn her life around? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2006, 6:23 am CDT

How can I help?

Paula,

Sean and Stacy went to school together.  I was devastated when a friend told me about what has happened.  We will all be praying for her and your efforts.  I believe you did the right think by going National.  We must stop this from continuing.

October 14, 2006, 3:59 pm CDT

09/21 Cult Confrontations

Quote From: jennifer9999

Dear cthelite,

I am very sad to hear of your deep pain and loss of your daughter to the Mafu AKA Penny Torres Channeling Group.  I was with this group for over 15 years.... and I personally spend about $100,000.00 to stay in the many differnt Mastery Groups that met in the lat 80's through 1999.

I know it is very difficult to understand what this New Age Stuff is all about.... I can only speak about my own experiences there.

This group also is being funded by your TAX money in the form of GRANTS for the Oregon Tiger Sancuary at the Eagle Point Oregon Location... that is where the person who CHANNELS MAFU lives and has something like a SLAVE came of devotees working for the payment to get to attend the events that are channelled for free.

Frist i will tell you, that most of the people there... just like my self... in the beginning are DRAWN because of very low-self esteem... the GURU... TEACHER or CHANNEL becomes the parent that you never had... the one who BELIEVES in your other worldly higher ideas.  In the beginning for years... you have the carrott of becoming a SUPER HERO.... or SUPER BEING.... but truly after over 25 years, NO ONE has MASTERED any of the things that are beyond this world... but, that is the DRAWING CARD...

The Ranch Location is 24001 Highway 140 Eagle Point  Oregon 97524

The Ashram 12800 Dead Indian Memorial Highway Ashland Oregon

Yes your daughter loves it there, why, they spend many hours a day meditating and praying and from what I have heard over the past 5 years.... a lot of lesbian sex... and such.  I am blessed that I was never involved in those things there...

But the real story about these groups is the MONEY.... there are hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years.  And, the pier pressure is, if you do not attend the groups.... or leave.. you are labeled the DEviL or EVIL... belive me I know.... there is nothing like the rath of the Channell if she is displeased.

The amazing thing is that our govt tends to not get involved in Religious Organizations.... there is a hands off policy.

There is lots of verbal abuse, physical abuse, and slave labor.  They TALK about SELF MASTERY and LOVE.... but in truth, they play mind games and the WORDS spoken have NEVER been proven by any one.....  you do not DARE QUESTIONS or ASK A qUESTION about things there.

I have seen the distruction of many families to both the Ramtha.com Group and the Mafu Group.

They then to say, Mind Your own Business... if you speak up you are a trader of a fallen angel....

There is another group, The Ramtha Organization....  ramtha.com  with many similar problems.

You must realize your daughter is OF AGE... and self responsible for her own choice.... when I was there, my family tried to stop me too... l lost my first marriage because of it....  When you are in these groups, you only want to be left alone, and not bothered by the family.

It is only now after being away for about 3 or 4 years that I can honestly and evently evaluate my own personal experience there.

They are being RE BORN in a NEW FAMILY.  If you look on the internet, you will RARELY see anything about this one particular group.... yet, hundreds of people have left the group and will not speak up.... FEAR is a BIG Motivator.

I leftl ong ago, visted in 2001... but found it to be quite a differnet group.. mostly Lesbian Women of all ages... I simply did not fit in.

There are movie starts, well know singers; you would be suprised at the HOLLYWOOD NAMES who have been involved on the fringe of these groups over the years... although. they come and go... not living there, they do not know a lot of the REAL details of these groups. Steven Segal to name one.... 

The only thing I can say is, bury your daughter in your mind... let her go....  Even if you were able to get her out of there... the mental programming is so deep, she will only go back.

WHAT ARE THEY SELLING..... A BIG DREAM.... These groups are PROMISSING so many things.... and now after over 25 YEARS... NO ONE... ASCENDED LIKE JESUS..... or can CONSCIOUSLY PERFORM MIRACLES.... this is what they WAG THE DOG IN YOUR FACE ABOUT.... we were very stupid... the leader became a Hind Monk.... now Buddhist.... and they are selling Meditation Practices.

The teacher is a very loving person, and since the teacher is a CHANNEL... he leaves and takes NO RESPoNSIBILITY for the people there.... they BLAME US... for any LACK of MASTERY.

The truth is, if you were selling a Educational Degree... with NO ONE GRADUATING.... or ever getting out of school... then you are a fool.... 

The prices are cheaper now than they were in the late 80's.... and they have an ON LINE VIDEO COURSE...  http://www.foundationformeditativestudies.org/ 

I was with them BEFORE they purchase the Oregon properties.  Many peole sold their business and homes... to devote their whole life to the group... and then about 5 years about... many left.

It is a hopeless situation... there is truly nothing you can do.. because of FREE WILL.... and the age of the people there... and the Oregon Tiger Sancuary gives the group creditibility.  Grants and Tax money support it.

This web site has some information about these types of cults.

http://www.factnet.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Here is a web site of another devotee perhaps you can make contact she is still involved.

http://www.factnet.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Truly, I do not think there is anything you can do.... FOR ME, when the MONEY RAN OUT... temporarly I began to have a BIG WAKE UP CALL.... we were told, if we did not have the money to attend... we DID NOT want to be there anymore... so we best just move on.

I had thought about writing a book about it... but, I did not want to wast all my energy on it.

The truth was, I was able to be finiacially successfull long before I was with that group.....  it is one of those games..... BUY YOUR ILLUMINATION..... or BUY YOUR ASCENSION.... they tell you, we only appreciate WISDOM if we PAY FOR IT..... we were all spiritual hoars. 

So, ask me any questions, I will try to hep... but truly, I do not think you will ever see her come home... that is unless the MONEY RUNS OUT... or the NEXT SHAKE UP with the Residents.

PRESS RELEASE
April 10, 2006

Agreka Books has just released:
POLYGAMY'S RAPE OF RACHAEL STRONG, PROTECTED ENVIRONMENT FOR PREDATORS,
by John R. Llewellyn

Rachael first brought her story to Tapestry who immediately notified the Attorney General's Office. What transpired after that you may find hard to believe it could happen here in Utah without government taking action.

It is a true story about a twenty-year-old victim of polygamy abuse by a known sexual predator, James D. Harmston, the prophet and leader of the True & Living Church, headquartered in Manti, Utah. It is a story of mind control and sex, a disgusting offense that is all too common among Mormon polygamists. What makes Rachael's story most compelling is her failed attempt to get the Utah Attorney General and San Pete County Attorney to take any action, especially when the evidence was clear cut and overwhelming.

The Utah Attorney General has taken polygamy from a moral issue, religious issue, legal issue to now a political issue. He has stated publicly that he will not prosecute a religious tenet, and true to his word, even in a case of extreme duress, he refused to prosecute in Rachael's case, or even explain to her why. This is a story, well told, of a beautiful young lady who has been denied the protection of the State of Utah.

October 18, 2006, 7:02 pm CDT

For Your Informaiton.....

JZ Knight on Larry King Live - November 2nd, 2006

JZ Knight is the CHANNEL of RAMTHA... a similar group like MAFU....

Thought some of you might want to watch this Larry King Interview to see a very

RARE public interview with a Leading Group Leader.

October 20, 2006, 4:52 am CDT

Quote From: jennifer9999

For Your Informaiton.....

JZ Knight on Larry King Live - November 2nd, 2006

JZ Knight is the CHANNEL of RAMTHA... a similar group like MAFU....

Thought some of you might want to watch this Larry King Interview to see a very

RARE public interview with a Leading Group Leader.

Thanks for the notification.   THere is a good thread on Ramtha on RickRoss.com message board.

October 27, 2006, 9:18 am CDT

DESTRUCTIVE FAMILY SYSTEMS - GET OUT!!!

Anyone who has the misfortune of interacting with a religious leader who is cruel, vicious, vindictive, calculating, manipulative, a liar or cheat may benefit from reading some of my favorite books which provide a great introduction into the subject of family systems and dysfunctions: 

Behind the Masks:  Personality Disorders in Religious Behavior by Wayne E. Oates OR Behind the Masks:  Personality Disorders in the Church by C. Marvin Pate and Sherly Lynn Pate

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward 

Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss

There are families that are so destructive that the only option is for a person to get out.  Get out with the little bit of sanity you may have remaining.  As painful as it may be, make a promise to yourself to leave so that you can begin a life of healing and recovery so you can eventually learn to live a joyful and peaceful life. 

Hope it helps!

March 1, 2007, 11:55 am CST

Mafu/penny torres

Hello! I am interested in any info any one might have on Miss Penny or Mafu. I do have a little insight. Why don't people speak out on her and let everyone know her for the fraud she really is???

November 17, 2008, 9:13 am CST

Dr Phil - look into IBLP

I would really love to see Dr. Phil look into the Institute of Basic Life Principles (IBLP).  This group is one that hides behind religion, but some of the ideas that the founder Bill Gothard teaches have been known to lead to spiritual and emtional abuse of the people that become trapped into the system.  There are even reports of physical abuse at one of the "Training Centers" that the group operates, where "troubled teens" are sent.

February 12, 2009, 3:11 pm CST

Quote From: cthelite

I have written to Dr Phil 3 times concerning my daughter's involvement in a one-on-one cult relationship but never received any kind of response. I know he is a very busy man as I am sure all of the staff is.  My daughter is 28 and has been under this man's (age 40) spell for 10 years. In the beginning we thought she was going thru a phase and it would pass. She was 18 at the time, just out of HS and had some college.  As the years went on, she began to withdraw more and more.  Her behavior has escalated to a level that frightens us but we understand she doesn't really understand her abnormal behavior. We have been fortunate to see her once or twice a year in the past but that has stopped. We KNOW this guy controls her every move and feel strongly she has been supporting him financially.  After doing some research we found a name to associate with what my daughter was into..New Age, Eastern Religion, UFOs, Buddhism, fairies, anti-government, anti-religion, reincarnation, chanting, auras and the list goes on.  When she lived in Ashland OR, she took me to one of her "meditation/yoga groups" to meet Mafu (aka Penny Torres-Rubine) who supposedly was the 35,000 yr old Channeler.  Currently, our daughter lives in a National Forest off a dirt road, which is off another dirt road that is off a main road. We have no communication with her at all.  The most recent was May 2006 at which time she showed us just how far gone she was!  I prefer not to get into all of it but we shared this with the "cult experts" and they felt like there may be some sexual abuse going on.  We have contacted Private Investigators, 2 to be exact, so called "cult experts" but no help. I feel like my daughter died years about 9 years ago and I am still grieving her loss.  I can relate to those parents who have lost their children but their bodies have not been found.  There's no closure.  The person we saw in May was not our daughter!!  She was exhibiting strange behavior that raised a lot of red flags but because she was of legla age, we felt like she knew what she was doing, we didn't want to interfere because she was an adult. My husband and I are in our mid 50's and thought our lives would mellow out by now.  Where we  live now most people know zero about cults and their activities.  I called around trying to find a psychologist, psychiatrist..anyone who might be of some help to us who could explain to us what was happening.  Nothing. From reading what we could, we learned the term "brainwashed" is no longer used...it's now "thought reformed" and rescues aren't made in the middle of the night anymore...  If ANYONE has any info as to how we can bring our only daughter back to us...her family PLEASE tell me.  We don't have the $3000-$5000 that it would take to hire a Private Investigator to take pictures and watch her.  They charge about $150 an hour which doesn't even include expenses, mileage or anything.  Last known address we had for her was Boulder, CO in Roosevelt National Forest. A couple of weeks ago she contacted her grandmother and said she had moved to Las Vegas because she wasn't making enough money at the restaurant where she just started working in May 2006.  We feel HE had her make that call. According to HIS adopted parents, he has not worked in years and NEVER paid taxes and they even hired a detective to find him without any success.  My daughter lives HIS life not her own.  We've been told HE probably has a narcissitic personality.  My daughter did not even go to her grandfather's funeral when he died a few years ago. The "experts" say she probably did not have permission to go.  We have also been told by the "experts" that what cult leaders normally do is erase childhood memories and make parents out to be the villains. which we found out later was the reason why our daughter kept making reference to her childhood and it being bad!!  We are many miles away from where our daughter lives and yes we could drive there but then what? The "experts" say cult intervention is very costly and we don't know, at this point, what to do, who to turn to, where to go? I am told I need to read this book and that book to educate myself, which I have but that's not bringing our only daughter home. She is missing the opportunity to know who her brothers are and vice versa.  Our family is so incomplete without her in it.  I wake up at all hours of the night with her on my mind.  I feel helpless to do anything more because I don't know WHAT to do?  Can ANYONE help by providing contacts with people who are familiar with this? This happens to other people.......we can't believe WE are the "other" people!! Please help if you can! Thanks so much for any guidance you can share.

Hi there,

Wow I read your story and know how you feel. My youngest 3 yrs ago met a guy on line in a christain chat room from co. seemed like a nice boy they chatted for a yr and then she went to meet him and his family for a visit. she never came home. We went to visit a yr ago last oct . she lives off a dirt rd same kind of thing. the family has a mom, dad, 5 kids and they all live there. they dont believe in any kind of lic ie drivers, ss, paying taxes and they use the bible to suit them. my daughter does not call me or email me and it is hard. her dad went to the wedding last June and the dad married them. He isnt a lic minister. and her dad which is my ex. did not agree with it but told her and loved her threw it. she wont get a wy I. D and the boy wont get a Drivers lic they believe they are in end times and now they wont talk to my ex. she has no one but that family. the only one that talks is the father of this family. I like you dont know what to do.

Delta

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next Page | Last Page