Message Boards

Topic : 09/22 Follow-Ups

Number of Replies: 57
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 15, 2006, 12:06:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil checks in on some of his most stubborn guests! Brandon has been battling a drug addiction since his intervention took place on the Dr. Phil stage three years ago. The last time Dr. Phil met with Brandon, he was behind bars after failing multiple drug tests. After 185 days, Brandon is being released from jail. Does he have a support system in place to help turn his life around for good? Then, what’s the latest on teen runaway, Amanda? Dr. Phil’s investigators tracked her down thousands of miles from home and brought her back. But Amanda was less than willing to do what her parents wanted. Where is she now? Plus, a reformed male chauvinist, summer slim success stories and more! Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 22, 2006, 8:01 pm CDT

lisalisa22

Quote From: lisalisa22

There is a lot of truth that came through today's show that isn't mentioned very often.  I hear the statement that "everyone has some emotional problem or diagnosis" but I am learning that emotional disorders are not over-diagnosed but they are under-treated.  Imagine if most of the diabetics in this country were not receiving some kind of treatment- cancer, or asthma or any other common disease or disorder that is medically treated today.  Dr. Phil has reached people through a medium that hasn't been traditionally used in this manner and people are becoming aware of the possible treatments that are available through medication and therapy.

The thing about therapy and medication, from my experience, is that it really works- IF you follow the instructions of your physician.  These are powerful tools that can change your life from the inside out.

I came from a very dysfunctional family and I have struggled in adult life with depression, relationships issues, alcohol, employment, school and anxiety.  My emotional problems have permeated throughout my life causing stress, frustration, failures and pain.  Some people come from families that are violently dysfunctional, abusive, and children are exposed to tremendous horrors that I did not have to endure growing up.  And some of these people turn out just fine.   How can that be, I used to wonder?

Some people have emotional intelligence and a tolerance to stress that others do not.  I had a very low emotional intelligence and I struggled with stress.  Low self esteem, low confidence, a negative attitude and reactive state ruled the ways I dealt with problems and I felt that no matter what, nothing I ever did came out like I had wanted it.  Honestly, I didn't know what I wanted in life, I had gotten so far away from any sort of authentic self that every time I searched within for answers I found just emptiness inside.

My family life growing up was confusing and painful.  We had a dad that was critical, controlling and mean.  When I saw some of the guests on the show that were hyper-critical, I thought "Oh my God that is my DAD!"  He put us down and disapproved of everything that my brother and I did, for what ever reason, I do not know why to this day.

My point is, the Dr. Phil show was the stepping stone that I needed to get into therapy and take medication and the show started my life in a positive direction.  That has been so critical; really, I can't even express in words.  My therapist (a psychiatrist) told me in the beginning that together we would be able to fix things that I was sure were "unfixable".   It's true; there are ways, through cognitive behavioral therapy and medication that will change your life.  The reason why the success stories seem to be unpublished is that I dont think people go around publishing their recovery.  Depression is not an open issue when treated. 

There are answers, there are solutions.  Walking in the path of truth, being comfortable in my authentic self has made life a different experience for me.   I just hope that others can get the help that they need and curb the suffering that exists needlessly. 

How wonderful that the Dr. Phil show gave you the nudge that you needed! 

I found your words, " my family life growing up was confusing and painful,"  to be exactly how I felt, but I could never verbalize it as you did...  Thank you for sharing your story.

I wish you continued blessings........

September 22, 2006, 8:15 pm CDT

I agree

Quote From: maplemrsginn

I have never posted a message before but after seeing the show on the "dont date him girl" website I  have to add my opinion.  That young woman is wrong and the site should be shut down.  It is wrong to try to ruin someone's life because you were silly enough to allow them to mistreat you.  Women allow men to become too much a part of their lives( self-esteem, sense of well-being, etc.) before gettting to know the person well.  Character flaws will reveal themselves iin time.  I have two ex-sons-in-law, neither of whom I would have chosen and both of whom I have issues with, but I would not be a part of any attempt to bash them or influence anyone in a relationship with either young man.  Posting ugly invectives says more about the writer's character than about the person being bashed.

I sooooo----- agree, but I think you are on the wrong board with this comment.  Today was the follow up shows. 

***Rebecca***

September 22, 2006, 8:20 pm CDT

09/22 Follow-Ups

I watched the show this afternoon.  I sincerely wish the best for Brandon.  I know he can do great things.  As for Greg and Amy, I am glad to see that Greg finally understands his role as a husband and father.  I am surprised that he didn't thank the three women who came to his house though.

Allona

September 22, 2006, 8:40 pm CDT

Yeah!

Wow!!!  I just finished watching Dr. Phil, and I was so happy to see that Greg and Amy are doing better.  I have been worried about them and there girls every since we taped the show. 

Greg, I am in tears right now and I am so proud of you and Amy.  I got way too invested in this show, and I was scared that you would not change.  I agree that women and men will never be the same in many aspects of life, but  both deserve love and respect.  I'm glad that I got to be a small part in your lives and I hope that our conversations off camera let you know that I wanted the best for you and your family.

Amy,  it 's heart warming to see that you are realizing the incredible woman that you have always been.  Women are a precious gift and deserve to be treated that way. 

Keep up the good work and God Bless you both.

With the warmest regards,

***REBECCA***AKA***Spitfire

September 22, 2006, 9:00 pm CDT

Thank you!

Quote From: a_mayost

I watched the show this afternoon.  I sincerely wish the best for Brandon.  I know he can do great things.  As for Greg and Amy, I am glad to see that Greg finally understands his role as a husband and father.  I am surprised that he didn't thank the three women who came to his house though.

Allona

I really do thank you for that comment.  I think that "The Dr. Phil Show" was embarrassed of our part in the show because of comments made about how we treated Greg.  There were some people who thought our part in the show was just too mean.  I'm still happy that I got to be part of that show, because I got to meet Greg and Amy and I still feel connected to them.  I hope in my heart that I played a small part of Greg getting it.  The best thing that came out of this for me, is that many woman talk to me and ask me where I got the strength to do what I did.  That opens the door for me to share.  I have helped so many women and that's the most important thing in life to me.  I love helping people.  I love people!!!!

Again thank you for your comment.  I can't explain how much it means to me.

***Rebecca***From Utah

September 23, 2006, 12:25 am CDT

Understand Completely

Quote From: ssoganty

How wonderful that the Dr. Phil show gave you the nudge that you needed! 

I found your words, " my family life growing up was confusing and painful,"  to be exactly how I felt, but I could never verbalize it as you did...  Thank you for sharing your story.

I wish you continued blessings........

Life is a struggle without the ups and downs it throws at you.  I am thankful to read your letter and know that whether we all have complex, disruptive families we can all make it into something good if we work at it.  Thank you for your truthfulness, it can be so lonely out here.

September 23, 2006, 12:29 am CDT

I dont think Greg has it in him to be a good father.

This story hurts me, because I have been there and done it!  Had to leave and now live  a much calmer life.  People with belief's do not change easily, and whether Greg and Amy are getting along better, the daughter obviously feels that things could be even better.  The child needs more attention than the man does, someone has to ensure this.

September 23, 2006, 3:23 am CDT

try other options

Quote From: jinxxycat

Very dissappointed that the show was moved here in Pittsburgh from ABC to CBS, and now it is on the same time as my regular soap "General Hospital".  I can't tape it when GH is being taped.   Frustrated that I can no longer watch Dr. Phil.  :(
Check out your other cable channels. I live outside of Pittsburgh. We have 2 options for Dr Phil .. a morning one at 10 and an afternoon at 3. Maybe you'll have the same.  If i cant watch one then i can usually catch the other

September 23, 2006, 4:44 am CDT

09/22 Follow-Ups

I have been watching Brandon's progress on the show and pray he continues to improve. It is a long and difficult road coming out of addiction. His parents should keep a very close eye on him. Addicts are liars and become very adept at telling you what you want to hear. Parents want to believe the bad part is all over now and everything will be fine. Living with an addict is a hard and often futile life. Trust me, I know! This is not to say that Brandon's recovery is not genuine. It well could be. I'm just saying, BE CAREFUL.

September 23, 2006, 7:05 am CDT

What they did last summer...

I was so pleased to hear about all the honors Dr. Phil received last summer, as well as the philanthropic endeavors he and Robin hosted.  I wish they had spent some air time talking about their son's wedding and sharing some pictures of that with us.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last