Message Boards

Topic : Adult Children Living at Home

Number of Replies: 365
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 15, 2006, 04:13:09 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you or someone you know still have an adult child living at home either out of necessity, or just plain laziness?  Share your stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 16, 2006, 5:18 am CDT

What a good topic!

My sister has adult children living at home that are just too dang lazy to work!!! They want everyone else to take care of them and their children. They would rather sit around all day and watch T.V. and smoke, instead of getting off their lazy butts and going to work! When they need money for gas, cigarettes, food, rent, electricity, what do they do? They run to my parents and put on a sad sob story! My sister just lost her husband last year, and as soon as he was buried, her grown kids moved in and mooched her dry!!! My sister hasnt even went to work yet. She stays home and watches her grandchildren so her grown kids can run the roads. How do they run the roads? By begging for money from my parents saying they are looking for a job. This was last year and neither has a job yet!! One is 29 and married with 3 kids. ( her husband is a lazy butt too and dont work). He couldnt go to work because his lip got sunburned! GOOD GRIEF!! ( just one example of an excuse)! Another excuse, " I hurt my back", but yet he can go outside and move tree limbs! The other daughter is 24 with 3 kids and she feels that if her mom dont work, then she dont have to either because she shouldnt have to be the one to pay all the bills. Excuse me?? But she has 3 kids to take care of. I just dont get it!  They want all the good life to live in, but dont want to work a day for it. They are L-A-Z-Y! AARRGGHH!! make s me ill! I wish my parents would quit giving them money. They use their kids as a pawn to get money and when they get the money, they BLOW it on unneccessay things! instead of buying food and paying bills! My parents paid their rent for over 4 months one time, and all the rest of us kids turned against them for doing that, since none of them are working and when my parents found out how we all felt, they said they were gonna stop, but I dont think they have because no one is working over there and yet they still have elecrticity, food, you name it! Sorry! I am venting! I could go on and on, but I will stop now. Theres just no excuse for this! My daughter just turned 17, she is graduating this year. She WORKS after school! She just brought herself a 98 mustang, PAID FOR,and she buys her own clothes, she does chores around the home on her off days. She has money put up for when she graduates. If my daughter can do this, so can they! For petes sake! They are older than her! OK! I'll quit now.

September 19, 2006, 10:36 am CDT

Lazy moocher!

My adult daughter moved back home in March 2006, with her 8 year old daughter, boyfriend and pregnant with twins. The boyfriend is the father of all three children (twins were born in May). They were only suppsed to be with us for six months. They were going to save enough money to get a place of their own. Well, we havent seen any job, money or motivation in 6 months. My husband and I feed everyone. Daughter and boyfriend sit and watch tv all day. The educational shows like Jery Springer, Maury and lets not forget MTV. He always has money for cigerettes and gas to tool around but no money for formula or anything else.I told the boyfriend yesterday it wasn't fair that my husband works 12 hour days sleeps for 5 and goes back to work, while he sleeps till noon and my daughter serves him lunch in bed. His reply was, " I'll take my s--t and leave. He did, and so did my daughter after him. We asked for the key back and told my daughter she cannot come back. They are now living with his mother and will be selling my daughters car so he can go to Chicago and make a better life and my daughter will eventually follow. Do you think the state will make a difference for a lazy moocher? Why can't my daughter see him for what he truly is? My main concern is the grandchildren, and I will miss them terribly! How should I react? I would never talk her out of it and I'm trying to be strong! Can someone like this guy truly change?

September 19, 2006, 7:44 pm CDT

be availble as a person not an atm

Quote From: semiprecious

My adult daughter moved back home in March 2006, with her 8 year old daughter, boyfriend and pregnant with twins. The boyfriend is the father of all three children (twins were born in May). They were only suppsed to be with us for six months. They were going to save enough money to get a place of their own. Well, we havent seen any job, money or motivation in 6 months. My husband and I feed everyone. Daughter and boyfriend sit and watch tv all day. The educational shows like Jery Springer, Maury and lets not forget MTV. He always has money for cigerettes and gas to tool around but no money for formula or anything else.I told the boyfriend yesterday it wasn't fair that my husband works 12 hour days sleeps for 5 and goes back to work, while he sleeps till noon and my daughter serves him lunch in bed. His reply was, " I'll take my s--t and leave. He did, and so did my daughter after him. We asked for the key back and told my daughter she cannot come back. They are now living with his mother and will be selling my daughters car so he can go to Chicago and make a better life and my daughter will eventually follow. Do you think the state will make a difference for a lazy moocher? Why can't my daughter see him for what he truly is? My main concern is the grandchildren, and I will miss them terribly! How should I react? I would never talk her out of it and I'm trying to be strong! Can someone like this guy truly change?
read your post and i'm sorry for the stress you must be feeling as a mom.  you did the best you could, gave your daughter and her young family a little security blanket when it was needed.  it's what moms have done since the beginning of time.  but you also did the right thing in asking them to contribute to the maintenance of a home.  that too is part of being a mom, showing that life requires work to survive.  don't feel guilty.  just try to stay focused on your grans, keep judgement on your adult daughter and her b.f. on the sideline, don't let them take advantage of someone elses's hard work.  give all that extra love to the little ones, they need you now, not the adult daughter.  it doesn't matter if the guy can change, you do not have power over any adult, that includes your own daughter.   the only adult you have power over is ....................you.  good luck, prayers are with your entire family.

September 19, 2006, 8:04 pm CDT

doesn't it turn your stomach pepto pink

Quote From: jb7ctx

My sister has adult children living at home that are just too dang lazy to work!!! They want everyone else to take care of them and their children. They would rather sit around all day and watch T.V. and smoke, instead of getting off their lazy butts and going to work! When they need money for gas, cigarettes, food, rent, electricity, what do they do? They run to my parents and put on a sad sob story! My sister just lost her husband last year, and as soon as he was buried, her grown kids moved in and mooched her dry!!! My sister hasnt even went to work yet. She stays home and watches her grandchildren so her grown kids can run the roads. How do they run the roads? By begging for money from my parents saying they are looking for a job. This was last year and neither has a job yet!! One is 29 and married with 3 kids. ( her husband is a lazy butt too and dont work). He couldnt go to work because his lip got sunburned! GOOD GRIEF!! ( just one example of an excuse)! Another excuse, " I hurt my back", but yet he can go outside and move tree limbs! The other daughter is 24 with 3 kids and she feels that if her mom dont work, then she dont have to either because she shouldnt have to be the one to pay all the bills. Excuse me?? But she has 3 kids to take care of. I just dont get it!  They want all the good life to live in, but dont want to work a day for it. They are L-A-Z-Y! AARRGGHH!! make s me ill! I wish my parents would quit giving them money. They use their kids as a pawn to get money and when they get the money, they BLOW it on unneccessay things! instead of buying food and paying bills! My parents paid their rent for over 4 months one time, and all the rest of us kids turned against them for doing that, since none of them are working and when my parents found out how we all felt, they said they were gonna stop, but I dont think they have because no one is working over there and yet they still have elecrticity, food, you name it! Sorry! I am venting! I could go on and on, but I will stop now. Theres just no excuse for this! My daughter just turned 17, she is graduating this year. She WORKS after school! She just brought herself a 98 mustang, PAID FOR,and she buys her own clothes, she does chores around the home on her off days. She has money put up for when she graduates. If my daughter can do this, so can they! For petes sake! They are older than her! OK! I'll quit now.
i was reading your message and i started to laugh.  brought back memories of when my adult sister was living at home and my parents did everything for her and her two children.  made me so damn angry.  how was it we as children had to bust our butts if we wanted extra money and here are our parents allowing the now adult sib to mooch??? makes you wonder if your parents had lost their mind.  anyway, it came to a situation the mooch had become super monster mooch, (she 'stole my parents rent money for drugs) and i, me the sister finally kicked her out of my parents house.  years later, she finally told me it was the best thing that ever happened to her and she thanked me. she finally had to grow up and face life on her own two feet.  she's 44 now and i thank god she lives life on her own. hopefully your sister will some day realize the damage she does to encourage her children to continue living life at a childs level.  in the meantime, don't forget to breath.  and thanks for putting a smile on my face.  hope you will smile too when you read my post traumatic stress memory. hang in there.

September 20, 2006, 10:37 am CDT

LOL!

Quote From: pensiveme

i was reading your message and i started to laugh.  brought back memories of when my adult sister was living at home and my parents did everything for her and her two children.  made me so damn angry.  how was it we as children had to bust our butts if we wanted extra money and here are our parents allowing the now adult sib to mooch??? makes you wonder if your parents had lost their mind.  anyway, it came to a situation the mooch had become super monster mooch, (she 'stole my parents rent money for drugs) and i, me the sister finally kicked her out of my parents house.  years later, she finally told me it was the best thing that ever happened to her and she thanked me. she finally had to grow up and face life on her own two feet.  she's 44 now and i thank god she lives life on her own. hopefully your sister will some day realize the damage she does to encourage her children to continue living life at a childs level.  in the meantime, don't forget to breath.  and thanks for putting a smile on my face.  hope you will smile too when you read my post traumatic stress memory. hang in there.
Sorry I gave you a post traumatic stress memory. And yes, it does turn my stomach pepto pink. My sister called me yesterday wanting to know if she could borrow some money from me because her (adult daughter living at home, who dont work, and has 3 kids) is sick and she needs money for medicine! Sorry, but here I go again, I told her that her daughter needs to get off her butt and get a JOB so she can have money for her own medicine! What am I supposed to do? take care of this grown lazy child? I have my own kids to take care of and they are young. THEN, her grown adult daughter, who dont work and sits on her butt all day, gets mad at me for not giving any money when she is desperatelty sick! The only illness she has is called : LAZY-I-TIS!  It would be one thing if I loaned her lazy daughter money, only IF I can borrow money from her, but I cant borrow money from her because she dont know how to WORK! PLUS, she would never pay me back and why? because she dont know how to work. I guess they think I am stupid.

September 21, 2006, 12:09 am CDT

life is like a box of chocolates.....

Quote From: jb7ctx

Sorry I gave you a post traumatic stress memory. And yes, it does turn my stomach pepto pink. My sister called me yesterday wanting to know if she could borrow some money from me because her (adult daughter living at home, who dont work, and has 3 kids) is sick and she needs money for medicine! Sorry, but here I go again, I told her that her daughter needs to get off her butt and get a JOB so she can have money for her own medicine! What am I supposed to do? take care of this grown lazy child? I have my own kids to take care of and they are young. THEN, her grown adult daughter, who dont work and sits on her butt all day, gets mad at me for not giving any money when she is desperatelty sick! The only illness she has is called : LAZY-I-TIS!  It would be one thing if I loaned her lazy daughter money, only IF I can borrow money from her, but I cant borrow money from her because she dont know how to WORK! PLUS, she would never pay me back and why? because she dont know how to work. I guess they think I am stupid.

it amazes me how parents don't realize the incredible damage they do by over loving, over indulging and keeping the 'bottle' stuck in their childrens mouth. what really makes me crazy, is that they live at home and don't contribute to house hold finances.  AND, still expect for mom and dad to take care of them.  to top it off, instead of bringing home a stray animal, they bring in a stray person.  i am so tired of people my age saying how hard it is for their adult children to pay rent here in nyc.  listen, if it's so expensive here, go move to wisconsin. ( no offense Wisconsinites)  life isn't fair and it requires something called hard work.  too bad your sister doesn't get it.  when i realized my oldest "child" was becoming a moocher, and that college was my dream and not his reality, i knew i had to shove him out of my nest.  here's a little tip for you.  he was told his household contribution to our home would be 400 a month. (that would only cover my gas and electric bill)  on the first of every month i would be on him like white on rice, pay up sonny boy.  he hated me and thought i was so unfair. after all, i was obligated to take care of him forever, god said so. every month, i would put on my ninja outfit and pursue him for 'the rent money'.  the battles were not fun.  he would call me cruel-la.  but little did he know, i opened a bank account and  put every penny he gave me in this account. within a year, "i" had saved enough money for him to move out. he was only 23 but i knew it was time for him fly my coop.  i saw what my mother had done to my sister and i didn't want to do that to him. he's now 28, living on his own and is doing okay. he tried coming back a few times but i changed the locks and threw on a disguise .  and now i start working on the next kid, my daughter who turns 23 in a month.  gotta go up in the attic and get the ninja outfit ready.  oh well.... any way, you stay strong.  i know how frustrating it can be to see moocher ism live and uncut.  a moocher is a moocher, they do it because they can.  wouldn't it be great if they had a boot camp for adult moochers children.  let's see. they would have to work 2 jobs and give one income back to charity. make a 7 course meal every night from scratch, kraft mac n cheese doesn't count. they would have to clean the house including the inside of all closets daily with a little toothbrush.  they would have to get up take their kid to school, pick them up dedicate all the time necessary to their well being, make dinner, do household chores and be available to every little detail in life. oops, sorry, i started talking about the life i live and I'm sure you do to.  you know what? life is like a box of chocolate. you stick you finger in each one to find the one you like the best.  so stay strong girlfriend.  if you get really ticked off, take a chocolate and throw it at your niece.  stupid-itis is definitely not a disease you want to catch. now that box of chocolate, doesn't that sound so much nicer.  peace out

'

September 22, 2006, 7:36 pm CDT

Adult Children Living at Home

About a month ago my husband and I let my step-daughter that is 19 move back in with us (she has gone from her mother to boyfriend and to us for the past 2 years) she has been in trouble with the law and has also been a stripper before she came here to live.  She came here over a month ago and thankfully she has gotten a job (a very nice one at that)  anyways now that she is an adult are there still rules and regulations that she needs to follow while she is under our roof? How long do we allow her to stay to "get on her feet"? Do we charge her any rent? We have arranged for her to have a car, do we continue to help by paying her insurance? Do we allow her to eat our groceries or do we make her buy her own? Does she help pay bills? I have so many questions and would really like to have some help.

September 22, 2006, 10:19 pm CDT

not yet adult

Quote From: never2learn

About a month ago my husband and I let my step-daughter that is 19 move back in with us (she has gone from her mother to boyfriend and to us for the past 2 years) she has been in trouble with the law and has also been a stripper before she came here to live.  She came here over a month ago and thankfully she has gotten a job (a very nice one at that)  anyways now that she is an adult are there still rules and regulations that she needs to follow while she is under our roof? How long do we allow her to stay to "get on her feet"? Do we charge her any rent? We have arranged for her to have a car, do we continue to help by paying her insurance? Do we allow her to eat our groceries or do we make her buy her own? Does she help pay bills? I have so many questions and would really like to have some help.

hello. and what does her daddy say??  it's nice of you that you to you found it in your heart to welcome this young lady into your home.  sounds to me maybe some issues there for her growing up.  don't label her for her past. it seems she has made strides in her life.  as for the adult part, finished with school, working full time job, it does not mean they have reached adulthood yet.  the world of a 19 year today is so very different than that of a 19 year old 30 years ago. as to regards to the financial aspect of your home, she should contribute to the expenses, and i don't mean giving her a bill to pay. rather,  ask that a portion of her wages be added to the household pot.  and keep it to a minimum amount. regarding food, and "your groceries" would you like to live a home where food is labeled with your name. be real, it's a home not a college dorm. nor should it be a hotel. regarding the car insurance, yes, it should be her bill to foot. it was nice that you guys arranged for a car. don't make life into  continuing childhood. help her ease into it, but don't make it easy. life is not always easy and you nor her dad according to the laws of nature will outlive her, you will not always be there to soften her fall.  if you want to help her take the next step, take her money she contributes to the home, save it in a bank account and accumulate a savings account for her. if things don't work out, she will have money to move on to an independent life.  and when she decides to make her own home she will appreciate the help you gave her. as to the rules, be realistic. expect her to keep her space clean, and help in the common areas of the home.  at 19, the house is always clean enough.  think of your home as a democracy that must serve everyone within.  the bill of rights has been changed to serve a changing world. in closing, the best advice i can give you as a mom of adult children, is to respect their boundaries, treat them as adults, the golden rule does work here. and she is a woman in the making. your influence as a woman of experience can be of great help to her. good luck to you. and don't forget to breath. time will fly.

September 23, 2006, 7:00 am CDT

I agree with the other poster

Quote From: never2learn

I would have her contribute something to the household expenses and put it up for her without her knowing. Also, since she is the one driving the car you guys got her, then she should be the one to pay for the insurance. My daughter is responsible for her insurance as well, and if she cant pay it due to spending her money elsewhere, she cant drive. Her insurance is a responsibility of her own and it should come first above " new expensive pants". As far as groceries, I would let her eat the food in the house, but also if you have her give you some money for expenses, do put it up. What I do with my 17 y/o who is still in school, if she uses my phone calling her friends on their cell phone, ( some of her friends cell phone #s are long distance),  I make her pay for the long distance calls on my phone bill created by her. It is called " teaching them responsibility", so that way when they enter the "real world", they know what responsibility is.

September 24, 2006, 1:46 pm CDT

Could use a lil advice and a lil comfort...thanks!

Hi~I am divorced and have 3 children.  My 2 daughters are in college and it's me and my 14 year old son now at home.  I started dating a wonderful gentlemen about 1 year ago.  He has 2 sons, one is almost 19 and the other is 21.  The 19 year old lives every other week with his dad and the 21 year old lives with his mother.  You are probably already starting to see where I am going with this.  We have had just a wonderful fun year together, really enjoying each other and learning about each other.  Well, recently we have started discussing some long-term plans about spending our futures together.   I love this man dearly... however, I have some real concerns about his sons.  The 19 year old that lives with him every other week and has not graduated from high school, has no job, and smokes.  The 21 one year old living with his mother graduated from high school, has a job, but he smokes too.  I am nurse and smoking is just not healthy, but I understand it's a choice, but I don't want anyone smoking in or near our home.  He seemed to handle that  one well.  Well, the thing that really got my goat was that the 19-year old told his father he needed new tires on his car (which is his father's) so my boyfriend who works over 60 hours a week went out and bought him new tires.  I was livid!  I stewed and stewed for a few days over whether it was my business to say something or not.  He works so hard and the 19 year old is not doing anything, so I kinda' let it rip last night the best way I knew how.  Needless to say, it didn't go over very well.  There has been several incidents like this that have happend in the past and if we are talking about our futures together I decided it was my business.  I honestly have tried really hard to get my children out on their own and to be accountable and responsible.  And, my children aren't perfect either, but I have always been good about lighting a fire under their butts!  During the course of this conversation that turned really sour my boyfriend said that he didn't want to take away to much from his children (ADULT) because he was afraid he would alienate them and then they wouldn't come over to his house anymore.  Plus, apparently the ex is wacky and he HAS to be there for them.  I tried to be supportive and went through the whole thing about do you want to be a good role model and parent or do you want to be their friend...etc.  This has been our first so-called fight and I am very sad.  Sad because I went home crying and he went home pissed plus I forget  my doggy bag at the restaurant and I am not sure if I can live with children that don't seem to be motivated to do anything.  It's not the end of the world, but it can sure make things pretty uncomforable for me.  Is it my business?  Do you think these adult children will ever be motivated to move on with their lives?  Is my boyfriend and his ex playing the game of who can be the best parent?  Do you think my boyfriend is not emotionally available and still living in the past?  He says he's not.  Should I stay in this relationship or call it quits?  The more and more I write the more confused I feel and the more things sound so screwed up to me.  I am starting to feel like I am in the middle of something I shouldn't be.  So much for making a long story short.  Thanks for reading and listening.  Any thoughts would surely be appreciated.                       

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last