Message Boards

Topic : Lost All the Weight and Still Hate Your Body?

Number of Replies: 27
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:25:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've finally made it to your goal, but you're still not happy with the way you look. Whether it's sagging skin, stretch marks, or just a poor body image, share your tips, advice, and support here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 10, 2006, 3:15 am CDT

Losing 60 pounds gaining a pituitary tumour

I finally got myself together after many years of being very overweight.
I prayed for God to give me the courage and strenght to endure this long trip to 'freedom and health'.
Then I started losing the weight, but my body started sagging like an empty balloon.
And then the doctors discovered that I suffered from a tumour in the pituitary gland, causing the ilness 'Acromegaly' and my whole body whas still growing. (Too much growth hormone).
My skin had also kept on growing, my bones, muscles, soft tissues, everything!

So instead of looking better after all my effort, I started looking like a male version of myself, with deep wrinkles and severe sagging skin all over me... I hated this, I didn't expect THIS to happen?
Now, after a long period of hospital treatments, brainsurgery and still not having the disease under control, facing irradiaton therapy, I don't even know why I should even try getting the weight back off again, which I had lost in the last couple of years. I've gained almost 40 pounds back on, not all fat, but also because of the disease.
Knowing that even without all the weight, I'm still not healthy, and looking even worse then before, I don't know what to do anymore, or where to start.

I had a financial approval by my insurance to get an abdominoplasty, but because of the disease, I'm not allowed to be operated on until it's under control.
And with a flat belly, the rest of my sagging me is going to look even more horrible... I feel I'm stuck either way. And we don't have the money to finance my complete renovation after all this!
Besides, if the disease never gets under control (10 - 30% chance) I will have to live with this body for the rest of my life. It's hard and I don't know what to do.

Chantal

November 14, 2006, 12:20 pm CST

sorry it's been so hard

Quote From: chantal1969

I finally got myself together after many years of being very overweight.
I prayed for God to give me the courage and strenght to endure this long trip to 'freedom and health'.
Then I started losing the weight, but my body started sagging like an empty balloon.
And then the doctors discovered that I suffered from a tumour in the pituitary gland, causing the ilness 'Acromegaly' and my whole body whas still growing. (Too much growth hormone).
My skin had also kept on growing, my bones, muscles, soft tissues, everything!

So instead of looking better after all my effort, I started looking like a male version of myself, with deep wrinkles and severe sagging skin all over me... I hated this, I didn't expect THIS to happen?
Now, after a long period of hospital treatments, brainsurgery and still not having the disease under control, facing irradiaton therapy, I don't even know why I should even try getting the weight back off again, which I had lost in the last couple of years. I've gained almost 40 pounds back on, not all fat, but also because of the disease.
Knowing that even without all the weight, I'm still not healthy, and looking even worse then before, I don't know what to do anymore, or where to start.

I had a financial approval by my insurance to get an abdominoplasty, but because of the disease, I'm not allowed to be operated on until it's under control.
And with a flat belly, the rest of my sagging me is going to look even more horrible... I feel I'm stuck either way. And we don't have the money to finance my complete renovation after all this!
Besides, if the disease never gets under control (10 - 30% chance) I will have to live with this body for the rest of my life. It's hard and I don't know what to do.

Chantal

I am so sorry that it's been so hard this journey of your's.  In the beginning of your story you mentioned that you talked to God about weight loss.  Well I believe that you need to go back to God for help.  I am sure that he will guide you in the right direction.  Weight loss can be frustrating when this is your out come.  I know that this journey is a tough one but God can get you through this.  Remember that you are worth the journey.  You are a value to God.  Please keep on trying and don't give up. 

November 16, 2006, 4:30 pm CST

I think I hate it even more than fat!

During the course of about 18 months I inexplicably lost about 65 pounds. Drs couldn't find a cause despite tests for everything. I had no appetite, severe pain in my stomach area, and the pounds just fell off. I went from a size 18 - 197 pounds - to a size 8 - 132 pounds. All my adult life I had battled weight, been very unhappy with my appearance, esp after having 3 children, nursing, etc., but had resigned to being heavy. My husband always insisted I looked good to him, even at my top weight of 203. (I'm 5'7") At 53 I don't expect my skin to be firm and supple, but it hangs down all wrinkly like an old, old lady. All my veins stick out.  In clothing I look OK. My family all thinks I look way too thin, but when the clothes come off, it is just sick. My breasts especially.

I believe with all my heart that my disgust with my appearance was majorly exacerbated by the discovery of my husband of 27 years being involved in a sexual and "love" affair with a younger woman. By the time I learned of it he was to the point of trying to decide whether to stay or go. What  I learned of that affair destroyed my self-image as a woman, and as his partner, to the extent that I felt hideous. Additionally, my hsuband, although my same age, is very youthful in his appearnace and is often mistaken for my son. My hair is all silver and he has like eight gray hairs on his lush brunette head.  I am so self-conscious in front of him now. Even after 10 months and serious hard work in therapy I still imagine that I am being compared to his lover. (My weight loss occured prior to the affair. I had been at my current weight about a year before he started up with her.)

Basically I believe that since I am healthier overall at the lower weight my work now centers around coming to terms with this new saggy wrinkly skin. Also, I admit I feel guilt for having lost the pounds without hard work, being that it was apparently related to some medical situation as yet determined and not through will-power and exercise. My BP Mon at the Dr was 92/68! Incredible. Part of my work in rebuilding my marriage is dealing with my body image.

December 1, 2006, 3:01 pm CST

Lost weight and still working on it

I have lost 243 lbs- had surgery to get rid of excess skin- now in debt for 20,000 and still need more surgery. Tell me if that is fair! Then I go watch the show and see someone not happy after losing 160 lbs? come on! I work out almost every day, work my butt off and pay for my own surgery and dont complain... No help from anyone excess the credit union that I will pay  the next four and a half years- am I mad? Yes, cause I will be in debt for the next ten years since I need more.

January 23, 2007, 6:38 pm CST

Lost weight n dont think ill eva be happy

Hey i can totally relate to this. I recently turned 21 and have realised that no matter how thin you are, its never good enough. Its like you need to be thin to fit in.
I use to weigh 80kilos and then i lost weight because i felt like crap. But i didnt lose weight the healthy way. i stopped eating starved myself some days and then would exercise so much that i would be exhausted for work.
Now i weigh 54kilos and for my height thats average i guess. But to me its never going to be enough. And so i understand where the pressure to be thin comes from. You can finally be happy with your weight and then you see someone thinner and think well maybe if i lose a bit more weight even tho i look great now ill look even better.
Its sad that this has to go on for people of all ages not just teens. Why is it that society looks down on people who arent a size 8 or 10? In a bid to stop me wanting to lose weight my boyfriend even said if i keep losing weight he will break up with me. but unfortuantly its a disease sweeping the nation and i wont stop until im happy. even if it kills me! :)

April 19, 2007, 4:53 pm CDT

I'm 42, lost some weight, body sagging, feel ashamed

Hi, my name is Toni.

I'm 42 yrs. old and I'm ashamed of my body!!  I have trying to lose weight for yrs.  I tried starving myself, starving myself and exercising, on and on!  I have quit drugs and alcohol many yrs. ago, I quit smoking cigarettes about 5 or 6 yrs. ago after smoking for about 25 or more yrs.  I've been married for almost 12 yrs. now and I still love my husband like I did when we married.  I lost weight back then (29-30 yrs. old) with no problem, but now forget it!!

I went to Dr. for help and found out I have a under active thyroid.  I asked for help to lose weight when thyroid medicine did nothing for weight loss.  I was on Meridia for 3 months with no results at all.  $130.00 a month!!!!  Could not afford it, insurance does not pay for you to lose weight, but the doctor's and insurance companies sure can complain about people being obese.  My doctor talked to me about phentermine and I decided to try it.  He see's me every month to check on how I am doing.  So far I have went from 189lbs. to 161lbs. in about 4 months.  I also eat more veggies, (raw and stir fried), fish, shrimp, chicken, ground turkey, salads, etc.  But I also exercise 1-1 1/2 hrs a day, m-f, sat. my husband and I hike with our dog about 5 miles.  So here is the BAD PART, my face is sagging, one side sags lower than the other, it looks like I'm frowning all the time.  My breast is so low now I have to be careful not to step on them when I'm walking, (forget about running, I would kill myself). My stomach muscles on the inside are almost flat, but the fat on my stomach and hips won't seem to go away.....  I'am ashamed to dress or undress in front of my husband, I didn't make love to him for almost a couple of years.  But losing the little weight I have lost makes me try, so he won't go somewhere else!!  He lost almost 50lbs. with no problem.   Here's a question, has anybody heard anything about Dr. Phil helping anyone again like he did on Extreme Makeover?  If so, please let me know, ok?

I need to do something, I don't even want to leave the house, because of my looks.

I'm trying not to stop exercising, because my head tells me what's the use if I'm gonna have all this loose skin sagging on me!!!!

April 20, 2007, 4:05 pm CDT

It's Not About Your Body

Quote From: im2bizzy2

During the course of about 18 months I inexplicably lost about 65 pounds. Drs couldn't find a cause despite tests for everything. I had no appetite, severe pain in my stomach area, and the pounds just fell off. I went from a size 18 - 197 pounds - to a size 8 - 132 pounds. All my adult life I had battled weight, been very unhappy with my appearance, esp after having 3 children, nursing, etc., but had resigned to being heavy. My husband always insisted I looked good to him, even at my top weight of 203. (I'm 5'7") At 53 I don't expect my skin to be firm and supple, but it hangs down all wrinkly like an old, old lady. All my veins stick out.  In clothing I look OK. My family all thinks I look way too thin, but when the clothes come off, it is just sick. My breasts especially.

I believe with all my heart that my disgust with my appearance was majorly exacerbated by the discovery of my husband of 27 years being involved in a sexual and "love" affair with a younger woman. By the time I learned of it he was to the point of trying to decide whether to stay or go. What  I learned of that affair destroyed my self-image as a woman, and as his partner, to the extent that I felt hideous. Additionally, my hsuband, although my same age, is very youthful in his appearnace and is often mistaken for my son. My hair is all silver and he has like eight gray hairs on his lush brunette head.  I am so self-conscious in front of him now. Even after 10 months and serious hard work in therapy I still imagine that I am being compared to his lover. (My weight loss occured prior to the affair. I had been at my current weight about a year before he started up with her.)

Basically I believe that since I am healthier overall at the lower weight my work now centers around coming to terms with this new saggy wrinkly skin. Also, I admit I feel guilt for having lost the pounds without hard work, being that it was apparently related to some medical situation as yet determined and not through will-power and exercise. My BP Mon at the Dr was 92/68! Incredible. Part of my work in rebuilding my marriage is dealing with my body image.
Girls stop being so hard on yourselves ! Stop being so sad ! It's REALLY NOT ABOUT YOUR BODY ! I speak from experience ! If your Man , or anyone else , can't handle the way you look , TOO BAD ! If he cheats , it doesn't matter if you look like a movie star ! Love yourself , accept yourself , God made you and LOVES YOU ! You should Love you too ! Hey man we get old , we die , and our body Doesn't go with us . It's what's inside that counts , what you do for others that counts , WHO YOU ARE , THAT COUNTS ! I've done everything within my means to be pretty , to have as best a body as I could . It didn't add one extra day to my life , it made me unhappy , it didn't make my husband love me more . So why bother , why fret , why lose sleep over it ? Thank God you're alive , there's a great big world out there , probably people who need you , or what you have to offer . I don't know what the future holds , But I know who holds the future ! Look Up Girls ! We ain't the chicks on t.v. and movies , and they're not happy either !

May 22, 2007, 8:35 pm CDT

Lost the weight but hate my body

I am 42 yrs. old, 5' 3" and about 2 years ago I had gained up to 176lbs.  I made the decision to lose the weight with God's help, a healthy diet and exercise.  In 16 months I was able to lose over 50lbs. and have maintained a 120-125lb. range.  Inside, I feel so much better since the weight loss but outside the sagging skin on my body repulses me.  My dream was to lose the weight and be able to wear shorts, 2-piece bathing suits, the ever popular "skinny" shirts, etc. that I wouldn't wear before but I find myself covering up more now than I did when I was overweight.  My arms, stomach, legs, neck and most everything else makes me look like I'm 80 years old.  It's definitely not a win-win situation.  I actually have lower self esteem now than when I was at 176lbs.  The option of surgery is out of the question since my husband and I both are disabled and live on a fixed income.  I never thought that I would second guess my decision to lose the weight but when I look in the mirror, I can't help it.

My prayers go out to all of you

June 2, 2007, 9:22 pm CDT

For What it's Worth...

I'm a formerly excessively-sized woman.  I underwent gastric bypass to lose 125 lbs.  My MD tried, in vain, to talk me out of the surgery to no avail.  I did it, and it was pretty awful.  I had the open surgery, no laparascopy.  I lost all the weight, and I'm left with a terribly saggy body that looks like it belongs on a person twice my age.  I didn't turn out quite as I had imagined, but this is the only body I have, and I'm literally OVERJOYED to walk anywhere I want without an asthmatic fit.  I buy my jeans off the rack as long as they're tall sized.  I look like a million bucks in a suit at work.  I wear shorts in my casual life, and my legs don't rub together so who cares if they have more jiggle than I might like?

After all I've been through, I just can't look at my cup as half-full.  My break-through moment was when I looked at the people I admire most in my life, and not a single one of them is all ego-centric about their appearance.  Far from it.  I worked for a certain celebrity who is no longer with us, and had to hire a photographer to take photos of him and his wife.  The photographer normally does beautiful work, and I was quite confident in my choice to hire him.  The photo session went very well.  Lots of smiles, laughing, very nice.  Then came the day when I sent the photos to the celebrity's manager.  We got a call from the wife I mentioned.  She exclaimed "I earned every wrinkle on my face!  I don't need anything airbrushed.  That isn't ME in those photos!"  Yes indeed.  You'd be hard pressed to find airbrushed photos of these folks except for the ones I have and will NEVER part with under any circumstances.  What an awesome memory, and it left such a great impression on me. 

I'd rather be like that.  I am who I am. 

June 10, 2007, 10:24 am CDT

Hey Girl

Quote From: lltj70

I have lost 243 lbs- had surgery to get rid of excess skin- now in debt for 20,000 and still need more surgery. Tell me if that is fair! Then I go watch the show and see someone not happy after losing 160 lbs? come on! I work out almost every day, work my butt off and pay for my own surgery and dont complain... No help from anyone excess the credit union that I will pay  the next four and a half years- am I mad? Yes, cause I will be in debt for the next ten years since I need more.

I know I'm young but girl to we in debt for ten years is to much and not fair.

I know the surgery will make you look better mybe.

But I would'nt do it. Try to found a differnt way that don't cost as much.

Good luck

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | Next | Last