Message Boards

Topic : Ways to Exercise in the House

Number of Replies: 2019
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:34:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can't get out of the house due to weather, injury or disability, or just busy watching the kids? Are you trying to lose weight, get in shape, improve flexibility and circulation, or tone your body? Share your tips to exercising without leaving your home.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 6, 2006, 4:08 pm CDT

Okay, you hit a wall -- now step back &

Quote From: missy77

Wow! I congratulate you on doing everything that you are doing. You seem pretty in check with everything. I've been giving myself excuses all week long, too tiered, homework, plannig my day for the kids (daycare) cook, clean, the dog, see, all excuses that shouldn't stop me but I'm letting it!

I gotta get off my ass and start something, I just can't seem to go at it. 1 week before (periods) I'm a total nut and crave surgar and just can't stop, it drives me crazy!!!!! but as soon it's over I'm this totaly devoted person and into it! I can't seem to find the middle! and it's driving me bananas!!

Keep up the good work! maybe some of your dedication will rub off on me! lol

Missy, one of the reasons I'm able to do this is because I've learned to step back and figure out what's going on within me.  When I chose to do this self-challenge, I decided it back in September -- like 3 weeks ago.  Every day, I would look at the exercise class schedule -- I had highlighted those classes I wanted to take.  I allowed myself to listen to myself ... then write it down and then take one by one and work them out.

Your excuses is just your tapes going off ... have you ever learned any cognitive behavioral changes?  It's not hard to learn ... in fact, I do it automatically now ... it's why I'm able to move forward without too much thought. 

Oh yeah, you said you hate writing ... it's harder to do this when you don't journal or like writing ... for me, it's all about giving myself the gift of doing for me.

And it's the sugar that probably did you end.  I know that I had to do a lot of reading articles, listening to health briefs on the news, reading books to finally start to pull together a plan to do differently.  It's just a habit that you have adopted.  I too had the same habit. 

I still do, when I get tired, I want candy / sugar for energy -- however, I saw that within an hour, I was crashing.  Now when I turn to candy / sugar / caffeine, I get sick. 

Take care.

October 6, 2006, 4:17 pm CDT

I did it! I did 5 days at the gym!!!

Today, I got there in time for the 7:30 class this morning.  I lasted only 10-12 minutes ... it was really intensed -- INTERVAL training ... it's mostly cardio and next time, I plan on wearing my heart monitor. It was hard for me ,,, my throat felt like it was burning. He made me run (something I just don't do -- not since I was a kid -- I'm 53.75 years old (will be 54 at the end of this month!)

The Pilates/Yoga (M/W) class was a little hard for me at first -- I have lots of negative self-talk from when I took it the last time.  Now, I know I can reprogram those tapes ... I did better for the Wed class.

The Heathy back Class (T/Th) - I'm really good in this class. I'm hoping she's got new stuff for us to do for the next 12 weeks.   We did some free weights and floor exercises. 

I actually felt pretty good ... howver, after this morning classes, my body is hurting really bad ... I'm going to take 2 iprofen when I make dinner ... I need to quiet my muscles ...

I STILL PLAN ON DOING A PILATES TAPE ON MONDAY. It's just going to be okay for me.  I know I can do this for me. I just need recovery time ... and it doesn't take me as long as it used to!

Well, 1 week down, 3 more weeks to go.  Boy will I ever be physicially fit by the time I turn 54!  I just can't wait!! 

the neat thing is that I know I'm challenging myself. I'm getting my body off the couch, out of my COMFORT ZONE and doing different.  It's been a hard ride for me.  Good thing, I'm not letting myself think anything negative about what I'm doing ... and I'm getting everything ready the night before so that I don't have any excuses.  This goal is important for me.  I'm not sure if I'll lose weight, I'm actually not focusing on that.  Being healthier than I've ever been when I turn 54 is so important for me. 

October 8, 2006, 9:13 am CDT

Your welcome ....

I read your post  maybe 6 times, I've alway's wanted to be the one to help others,  not listen to others and really take a good look at me!

I hate writting, but I don' t mind typping, I'll try that!

What's cognitive behavioral changes? (oops I didn't read all of dr.Phils book so if it's in there...)

I think I will start tonite and try  menu planning, and take a look at what I want to achieve.

I applaude everything you are doing and congrats on your 5 days at the gym!

Typing is just as good as writing .. just open your program that you type letters with and start a journal there ... I have one I use for journaling my financial chaos and how I'm working on getting myself out.  Everytime I have an AHA moment or an accomplishment or I do sometihng financially, I open it up, go to the end of the document -- write the DATE and a subject in BOLD, then just start writing.  I find it helpful cause then I can go back later and read it like I was reading a novel ...  it really helped me to open my eyes.  I usually only journal 1 document for 30-45 days before I create a new one. 

Cognitive Behavior is taught in Self Matters --- HOWEVER!!!  it's really intense and usually most folks can't make it past Chapter 4 because so much pain is bought to the surface!  So unless you want to face your past and deal with your life -- I suggest you take it slowly!  WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTIONS introduces it in Keys 1 & 2.  That's where I first started and turned to Self Matters because my life was in utter chaos and I had to change it.

Another source is a book I found at the library- THE HABIT CHANGE WORKBOOK.  It teaches you the basic principles & explains what it is you are learning. I liked it because they gave me formats to follow.  I hate being told to learn something and have to work out stuff.

Good luck with menu planning ... right now, I'm really screwed up ....  can you believe I'm haviing conversations like ... well I only make hamburger patties either with or without bread ... I know I can make spaghetti sauce with it or meat loaf or_____  ... however I only make patties.

I got all sorts of stuff like that going on in my head ...  good thing I committed 45-days to facing this crap and I know I'll be able to slowly take down the walls.  It's just about listening to what I'm saying and slowly taking the steps to work thru them.

October 8, 2006, 9:16 am CDT

Rt leg feels better today!

Today, I walked the dogs ... the back of my leg was still sore to the touch; however, I read last night that doing light cardio would work it out and it did!  Wow, I just love how I receive answers from all sorts of sources when I need them.

I'm not sure how far I'll get in doing 1 pilates tape tomorrow; however, I'm going to attempt it and see where it takes me. I already know it just isn't going to happen ... I got to do a whole list of stuff before I'll be able to do it.  One being setting up the DVD / VCR.  HEE HEE ... however, I figure that I will just spend the day focusing on getting my act together ...  that's a good thing and counts!!

hmmm .... today, I will sit down once more with my menu planning folder and begin the slow process of listening to what I'm saying and actually doing and see where I can DO DIFFERENT!

October 9, 2006, 4:45 pm CDT

No pork, no beef in my diet whatsoever....

Here's an idea, switch hamburger meat for ground tukey! You'll get used to the taste,  after a while, it's tastes so good.

The things you say make me think alot, I thank you for that!

Missy, years ago (like in 1994? 95?) I quit eating pork and beek.  I just call my hamburger, hamburger, my italian sausage ... italian sausage.  I know it confuses people ... however, now-a-days I can actually make my own sausage ...  it's all about seasoning really.

Take care ... hope you had a really good weekend!

October 10, 2006, 3:54 pm CDT

Hi Missy ...

I made it to the gym today .. I really didn't think my hamstring was going to let me do the entire class .. but I did it ... she stuck to a lot of cardio and it really helped me to stretch out my hamstring.

I did work in getting my exercise room together. I actually hooked up the DVD player and discovered my box of electronic cables is gone!  I had to go out and buy replacements ... now I just need to go upstairs and put them on my TV and modular.  (My tv is that old)

My next goal is to dust the entire room down.

AND today I learned that I've gone up 4 lbs ... BECAUSE OF THE GYM CLASSES!  yeah for real Missy ..  I can't believe it. 

Take care and I hope you are doing well.

October 11, 2006, 9:22 am CDT

Friend coming over to help with VCR/DVD hookup

Well, I got the cables Missy -- and it didn't work.  Needless-to-say, it's not unusual.  I really am anal when it comes to electronic stuff.  I can put a computer together, install hardware even -- however, hook up speakers to a stereo or a DVD player ... forget it!  Just not going to happen.

I'm not going to the gym the rest of this week -- I had the dermoltogist freeze my skin tags so now I have all these red blotches all over the place!  My neck looks like I'm wearing a red beaded necklace!

I walked the dogs for 20 minutes ... it started to sprnkle and I didn't want to get wet - it's kinda chilly out there.  So today, I'm going to work on menu planning ... I'm going to do something totally different ...  so as I tell myself what I need to do ... I'm going to ask myself -- did I do this before?  what happened?  Did it work?  what am I saying to myself?  (Cognitive Behavioral techniques)

October 12, 2006, 4:25 pm CDT

Ways to Exercise in the House

I dit it, I'm dripping sweat as I write this. I wanted to do 15 min of elleptical, instead I did 20 and fast, I had my kids encourage me. When I felt like quiting I asked my kids to tell me to go faster and don't quit! and it worked!

I'm so proud of me, I feel the sweat dripping down my back and it's such a good feeling!

If it were not for you and your words I don't think that I could of done it!

Thanks so much!!

I did it! I did it! I did it!

Now I just have to kick THE BAD HABIT wich should be easy now that I'm primed!

I just started working out about 1 mth ago.  For 3 yrs I have put off taking depression med. My doctor gave me Zoloft and for the past month I've been working out.  I gained 60lbs when pregnant and I've lost 10 in past mth, it seems like it is not going away fast enough.  But just like you my almost 3 yr old was cheering me on the treadmill.  I've been doing an hour but the last  20 minutes seem like forever..

October 12, 2006, 5:53 pm CDT

Missy be careful of Chapter 4 ....

things aren't going so well here! I'm having a hard time with a bad habit that I have to kick! If i can get rid of that bad habit things will fall into place faster and better!

Today is the day, I'll try my best!

I feel so lost, and nobody can understand or help, cause I don't understand! I think writting back and forth with you is making me realize things that I never wanted to before and maybe that's why I feel so lost and confused, but it's a good thing, I think?

It's cold and rainy here to! Wich doesn't help with my feelings, but oh well, gotta live with it!

I think I'll go and by self matters and read at night. Just by watching his shows has helped me out a hell of a lot!

Thanks Marcia!

When you post on this site and others like this, no one knows you. No one will call you on the phone or knock on your door or even point a finger at you.   You were bold in using your first name -- Marcia is mine.  When you post you can openly state things and just spill your heart out. 

I used to go to different sites and post ...  I even have 2 diaries here ...  I would write in them each day and copy and paste what I'd written into a text document so that I could re-read it at a later date. 

Self Matters is a hard book to read ...  it brings up all the pain in your life and many people can not make it past it.   Read the book from front to cover ... DO NOT UNDER ANY CONDITION GET OVERWHELMED BY THE 10 Defining Moments.  

I don't know why we all get lost in the pain ... cause he's so right!  as you read the book from front to cover you see how it all comes together and then you can go over the words again by choosing to do something you always wanted to do.

Maybe that's a way to read it ...  pick a goal you've always wanted to do.  For me it was learning to sew.  As I read the book, I forced myself to stick to my "subject" and whatever memories surfaced, I used his Action Plan to help me work thru them.  It worked for me.

I too felt bad when I lived my self-destructive life ... it's weird ... I'm so different now .. it feels like a life time ago when I lived that life.

October 12, 2006, 5:58 pm CDT

Kicking bad habits take time .....

I dit it, I'm dripping sweat as I write this. I wanted to do 15 min of elleptical, instead I did 20 and fast, I had my kids encourage me. When I felt like quiting I asked my kids to tell me to go faster and don't quit! and it worked!

I'm so proud of me, I feel the sweat dripping down my back and it's such a good feeling!

If it were not for you and your words I don't think that I could of done it!

Thanks so much!!

I did it! I did it! I did it!

Now I just have to kick THE BAD HABIT wich should be easy now that I'm primed!

Missy, I'm so glad you finally got on your  elleptical and got your kids to hlep you out!  Just think what next summer will be like ... you'll be able to play outside with them ... that's a really cool goal!

Remember that working on habits takes time ... for me, I learned that I had to keep picking myself up and practicing.  Sometimes, I felt really blue and just wanted to give it all up.  Then I said, NO!  I'm tired of having these thoughts in my head!  I'm tired of repeating the same old tired tapes. I dream of never having to "BE HERE" ... like exercise. Even though I'm not exercising the rest of the week at the gym, I know that on Monday, I'll be back. It's taken me 2+ years to be here. 

It's so nice to be a FITNESS DIVA.  That's what I tell myself for the last 3 years.  Like Dr. Phil says, if you believe it, it becomes truth.

See if you can find a book on breaking your bad habit ... know that the bad habit has a pay off.  LIFE STRATEGIES  has a good chapter on what that means and exercises to help you work it out.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last