Message Boards

Topic : 10/06 IQ Answer

Number of Replies: 118
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:49:49 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you ever felt like you’re running in place and going nowhere? What if you could learn some critical keys to increase your intelligence? Dr. Phil, along with Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil Advisory Board and author of The IQ Answer, gives you practical techniques to maximize your full potential. His first guest, Elizabeth, says she’s tried everything to wake up her daughter, Miranda, in the morning -- massaging her feet, splashing water on her face, even blasting rap music! Miranda says she can sleep up to 17 hours straight, and has lost five jobs because of her tardiness. Find out what happens when she gets a wake-up call -- Dr. Phil style! Then, Faith says her 17-year-old daughter, Myia, panics before taking tests. She gets headaches, stomachaches, and often comes home crying. Can Dr. Lawlis help the teen get over her fears? Plus, find out why Dr. Phil needs Dr. Lawlis’ IQ Answer, and learn important information every parent needs to know about retraining your child’s brain. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 6, 2006, 12:26 pm CDT

My son sleeps too much

I just finished watching about the girl who has a hard time waking up in the morning. My son is now 16 and he is exactly like that. He has lost friends because on weekends he will not get out of bed to go out and do things with them. They quit calling him and asking him to do activities with them. He was late to school last year 16 times. I have a terrible time getting him out of bed in the morning to go to school. I get very fustruated with him but cannot find a solution. I've even tried grounding him so he would get to school on time. He has been like this since kidergarten. I used to dress him in the bed and carry him to the kitchen for breakfast to get him to school on time.  When we go on vacations, it's all I can do to get him out of the bed so we can do family activities. I am open to any suggestions.

October 6, 2006, 12:31 pm CDT

Wow it must be in the name......

Watching the show today was like watching my own life...... I am a mother of a 23 year old daughter named "MIRANDA"    She has to sleep all the time.  She also quit school, she is IMPOSSIBLE to get up at any time.  Not only in the mornings but any time of the day when she is home.

She is to be at work at 8:30 am she works in home for a quadraplegic lady so there isnt a strict time line but she is NEVER on time usually 15- 30 minutes late every day. She jumps out of bed and flies out the door,  she has gotten a couple of tickets for speeding and careless driving on her way to work.   if she has to be anywhere at a certain time she will wait till that time to get up.  whether it be a job or a Dr. appointment.  Then when she gets home she goes straight to bed for a few hours.  On her days off forget it she sleeps till 4-5 pm.   It is soooo annoying.  And she always has an excuse on the days she works and comes home.... the answer is... I worked today Im tired.... and on her days off the answer is..... Its my day off Im sleeping in.  There are no other days in her life.   

She does not understand the sleeping so much is just making her more tired, I truly think she is depressed.  She is unhappy with her weight etc tho she is not heavy but she gets NO exercise she takes food and goes to bed.  I try to tell her eating and falling asleep on it will not help.  I have joined a gym with her she wouldnt go, I agree to walk with her  that works one day.... she can not keep to any schedule but sleep.

I know there are no drugs or drinking involved as she lives home with myself and my husband.  She has an awesome fiance whom also lives with us we bought a mother daughter home because she didnt want to move out.  I am disabled so I no longer drive and God forbid I make a Dr. appointment for any time before 3 pm on the days she has to take me no matter what the reason.  I had to resort to medical transport to do chemo because it was such a brutal fight and battle to ask her to get up and take me.   She will call me during the day and say be ready to go to the Grocery store when I get off work.   Im ready and she comes home and goes to bed.  So either I wait till late at night or have my husband go after he worked all day also.   This is just a horrible way to live.

October 6, 2006, 12:37 pm CDT

Cognitive Skill Training is the answer!

When children struggle in school it, have test anxiety, or deal with endless homework often have cognitive skills deficiencies.  Cognitive skills are the underlying skills necessary for any learning.  Memory, attention, reasoning, processing speed, visual processing all relate to learning material.  The methods you are showing are the program are compensations for the cognitive deficiencies but it does not fix the actual problem.  These children need to have their cognitive abilities assessed and then go through the Learning Rx program to retrain the brain and actually increase their ability to learn.  Contact the nearest Learning Rx near you to learn what I have learned the hard way as a mom of three children who are excelling now in school!

October 6, 2006, 12:40 pm CDT

sleep disorder

I was diagnosed at age 35 with "Idiopathic Hypersombilance (sp?)" or excessive sleepiness after a 24 hour sleep study that overwhelmingly confirmed my symptoms.  I slept 10 quality hours per night and all day long I still felt that the sofa was calling my name.  I went to bed and woke up at the same time and did all the things that I was supposed to with no positive result.  No amount of extra sleep would help.  It started in my early 20's and the symptoms progressed as I aged.  I would read at the kitchen table to my toddlers and would fall asleep with my face in the book.  I would wake up startled because my children were somewhere in the house unsupervised.  I finally sought help when I fell asleep while supervising my 16 year old daughter behind the wheel with her learner's permit.  Ritalin was prescribed as a CNS stimulant and it has changed my life.  I am no longer a danger to myself or others on the road and I now can stay awake at work, watch a movie, or read a book.  I feel no side effects from the medication, other than I am simply not sleepy during the day.  I still sleep 8 hours per night.  I understand the drug "Provigil" helps some people (not a CNS stimulant) but it is not covered by any insurance companies, which I find reprehensible. 

October 6, 2006, 12:43 pm CDT

IQ Answer - October 6 airing

OMG, OMG, OMG! I am a 48 year old executive who has struggled with exam anxiety since I was 17 years old. It was that year things in our home became very messy, alcholism was involved and my parents had a very quick and not pleasant divorce. Around that same time, I went in to write my first year university Math exam for which I was very prepared (Math being my best subject). I went into total panic, drew a complete blank and left with a virtually empty paper dropping my grade from an A to a C. This was a new and frightful experience. I eventually graduated but consistently broke down in exam situations. I have made several attempts over the years to tackle the problem with additional courses but I have all but given up as much as I love the process of learning. Having tested above average over those years and had been an excellent student in terms of grades. It was most disconcerting to have this happen. I have somehow compensated in my career and done well. However, I very much want to obtain some certifications but have been avoiding those involving exams. I am anxious to explore Dr. Lawless' offering.

October 6, 2006, 12:50 pm CDT

Ref. Miranda and her sleep problem.

For the longest time, I used to have the same problem as Miranda.  I am 38 years old and was just recently diagnosed with Narcolepsy.  Since I started taking my meds. for the Narcolepsy and had my maintenance Migraine meds. adjusted, I can now wake up and be part of the world.  I used to sleep all the time, and no matter how much sleep I got, I would still fall asleep for a nap or was still tired or could not wake up.  After my divorce, I no longer had my husband to help me wake up in the mornings, so I had to rely on my mother to help me.  She lives in a different city than me and would have to call me every 15 min. on the phone for about and hour before I could start to function.  And then, that was not always a guarantee.  I had every test you can think of done and sometimes done two or three times from blood work to x--rays and nothing was ever found.  Finally, I had a very extensive sleep study done and it was found out that I have a pretty severe case of Narcolepsy.  I could even fall asleep while walking and talking. 

I was just wondering if Miranda was ever tested for something like that?

October 6, 2006, 12:57 pm CDT

You may have missed one.

The young girl on today's show (10/6/06) who had trouble taking tests is probably just as likely to be VERY intelligent (especially in math).  She doesn't know how she got the answers, but she got them - presumably correct answers.  She is inherently a perfectionist, and has a mother who is critical, probably not overly so, just enough to reinforce the girl's own perfectionism.  She's been tutored for years, and her teachers say she gets the material, but she still doesn't know how.  Methinks you may very well be dealing with an extremely gifted child, who is different and has no idea why.  Get that child tested, the sooner the better.  What I heard reminds me of several genius-level kids I know.  Good luck to her, and I hope she recognizes what's "wrong" with her soon enough to thrive.

October 6, 2006, 12:59 pm CDT

gum chewing

I was watching with interest the show with Dr Lawless.  I read an article once in a horse magazine that one of the reasons horses graze so much is the constant chewing increases blood flow to the brain and keeps them alert.  This would make sense since horses are flight animals.  My husband travels a lot and he stands by chewing gum to help him with fatigue.  Maybe educators should allow their students to chew gum in class...especially in the morning.

October 6, 2006, 1:05 pm CDT

help for my son

My 21 year old (middle child of 5)son has Crohns disease since early childhood. We took him out of school age 7 homeschooled him along with 4 siblings. Our 2 older children have 2 degrees each in university The younger is 2cnd year business,and one younger mid 90's in highschool.

I know there is something wrong with his internal dialogue- he did poorly in school, has difficulty concentrating and feels like a failure. (He works for our company contracting which he doesn't enjoy)He is too afraid to try being on his own or trying other occupations due to so many times he has blown things from sickness, laziness and dependence on me his mom. He has presented addictive behaviours and plays cards, music and tv to escape.

How can I help him change- I can't kick him out I know he wouldn't survive from a previous experience on his own over this past summer, he came home very ill.

October 6, 2006, 1:06 pm CDT

Overlooked CFIDS?

I was surprised that with Miranda, guest #1 who slept too much, that the idea that she might have Chronic Fatigue Immmune Dysfunction Syndrome, a condition I know well and struggle with myself. I could totally relate to what she was describing. I'd like to see a show focus on that!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last