Message Boards

Topic : 10/06 IQ Answer

Number of Replies: 118
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:49:49 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you ever felt like you’re running in place and going nowhere? What if you could learn some critical keys to increase your intelligence? Dr. Phil, along with Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil Advisory Board and author of The IQ Answer, gives you practical techniques to maximize your full potential. His first guest, Elizabeth, says she’s tried everything to wake up her daughter, Miranda, in the morning -- massaging her feet, splashing water on her face, even blasting rap music! Miranda says she can sleep up to 17 hours straight, and has lost five jobs because of her tardiness. Find out what happens when she gets a wake-up call -- Dr. Phil style! Then, Faith says her 17-year-old daughter, Myia, panics before taking tests. She gets headaches, stomachaches, and often comes home crying. Can Dr. Lawlis help the teen get over her fears? Plus, find out why Dr. Phil needs Dr. Lawlis’ IQ Answer, and learn important information every parent needs to know about retraining your child’s brain. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 13, 2006, 4:48 pm CDT

Mustbecrazy- Schools

Quote From: mustbecrazy

I hate the standardized testing that is done in Washington State, and is now a graduation requirement to get a diploma.  If one fails it 4 times between 10th grade and 12th grade, the best they can get is a GED.

The testing is done on a regular basis, starting in 3rd grade.  The schools at all levels are now teaching to the test, and it has really hurt the old style curriculum.  Creativity has gone out the window!!  The junior high and high school curriculums include WASL classes, aimed at helping the students to be able to be successful on the WASL...the time would be better spent on teaching the practical skills needed for life.

Also, state funding is based on a school's test scores, the higher the scores, the more money the school gets.  The schools with the most needs are short-changed.  Our school is made up of a mainly spanish-speaking group...the ESL classes fall short in teaching these kids to speak English, and the parents get NO help at all in learning English, and so there is a big communication gap between teachers and parents.  They must hire translators for parent-teacher conferences!!  In spite of that, our school district has one of the highest WASL scores in the state, but like I said, they spend way too much time teaching the kids to take the test, and much too little time on creativity and practical life skills.  How many times will a person have to WRITE OUT answers to life's questions in the real world??

Our district is small (small town), and there is a shortage of teachers because the district cannot afford to hire enough teachers to provide reasonable size classes.  How can there be individual attention when there are 30 kids in the class??  I volunteer at the elementary school where my youngest son goes.  I am helping a third grader in my son's class, who doesn't know how to read.  He is still working on basic phonics and sight words.  How will he succeed on the WASL when his reading and writing skills are so far behind??  Hopefully, with help, he can get caught up before the WASL counts for his graduation and diploma!!

There is legislation in the works in Washington State to throw out the WASL.  I'll definitely vote for that.  Some standardized testing is reasonable to assess how well the students are learning, but I don't think that a teacher's job should be on the line when the scores are low.  Testing is meant to be diagnostic, and the schools can learn new ways to teach the kids what they need to know.

Well, I've taken up enough of the board...I have strong opinions of this issue.

PS  My oldest son is now a straight A student by getting a sleep study which revealed Narcolepsy, and he is now on the right meds. (previously a D student)  Adderall, which was prescribed for his previous diagnosis of ADHD was not working.  The ADHD label is given too quickly, and meds are prescribed too often, or the wrong meds, without doing thorough testing to see what is causing the behaviors!!  Our other 2 boys were incorrectly diagnosed with ADHD when they actually have Restless Leg Syndrome and Vision problems...both things which will cause ADHD symptoms.  Way back in the postings, I have written more about their histories...homework battles, and their solutions.

Same thing is happening here in California.  Teachers no longer have time to teach, to teach students how to think.  The standardized tests have limited teachers to teaching only what is on the tests.  State-funding is the same here, with the higher scoring schools getting the money, not all schools. 

I live in a school district that is non-unionized, i.e., the teachers don't belong to the union.  While the teachers do have to give the students these standardized tests, the prinicpal sets the curriculum for his/her school, in complaince with district standards.  The district receives money from taxes, etc., and that money is distributed to all the schools in the district, so that those in poorer areas aren't suffering.  So, my district has a set curriculum, set activities (sports, chorus, band) so that kids can excel and teachers can teach.

The neighboring district which is facing the problems I mentioned in my first paragraph above, and that you mentioned, is failing.  The state has threatened to take it over twice over the last 5 years.  They have had poor graduation rates and poor test scores for the last 25+ years.  The district I live in, has been thriving over that same period, has some of the top test scores in California.

I'm all for getting rid of all the standardized tests, within reason, of course, but maybe your school district needs to have some fundraisers or ask the people of the town to vote for more taxes.  I'm also not opposed to making the school day longer, because standards have fallen so low compared to where we were in the 80s.  Compared to the rest of the world, the US ranks fairly low, where we used to be # 1 in the world.  That's appalling as education is the one thing kids have until they're 18 and out of school.  It's even sadder that these kids go on to fail in college or have to go back to take remedial college classes before continuing with their education.

October 13, 2006, 5:07 pm CDT

Cw aria

Quote From: cw_aria

I am the single parent of a child who's I.Q. at last measured, 138 in third grade,  I do not want to loose her to an average education. when she is capable of so very much more.  Her step father, the light of her life, passed no to long ago and his faith and support meant the word to her .  I need to keep up and to teach her how to strive for greatness.  I am not sure if i know how.  She says she wants to just be normal.  but she isn't,  shes gifted, capable of a's and b's and some timea she forgets work, leaves things home, and just has a devil may care attitude although she knows this hurts me.  she says, (her words)  she is lazy and unorganized and this is what we need help with.  Thank all for your time and God Bless.

It sounds like the death has taken it's toll on her, attitude-wise.  Have either of you tried counseling to get over the death?  She's not lazy or unorganized, that's just an excuse she makes to not have to take responsibility for her actions.  It sounds as though she doesn't care because she hasn't dealt with the death.  These excuses and her behavior allow her to excape the feelings she's burying.

Encourage her to keep doing what she's doing, to keep moving forward.  I'm sure that's what you and her step-father would've wanted.  She may want to be normal, but seeing as how she's more advanced than others her age, she's going to have to give people time to catch up.  That doesn't mean she stops her life, but she and her peers will balance out one day.

October 16, 2006, 11:50 am CDT

recommendation for a company for meds in Dr. Lawlis's book

Dr. Frank Lawlis recoomends certain medications in his IQ answer book.  I am afraid to just order anything from the Net as he also recommends not to do.  Does Dr. Phil or Dr. Frank recommend certain brand that is reliable for us to use.  I would hate to buy something that is not authentic.

Also, in reading the book it states to eat Sugar free gum with Xyletol.  I wish that key word Xyletol was mentioned on the show cause I don't remember hearing that.

October 16, 2006, 7:17 pm CDT

Another book to read...

Quote From: busybee92

It sounds like your daughter has ADHD and a processing problem, which is a learning disability.  It's very hard to diagnose, but my sister has the same thing.  The same frustrations you had, my mother had.  But, once you know that this is the problem, you can do something about it.  My sister just needed her teachers to give her the instructions one-on-one, and then she excelled.  As she got older, she learned to adjust and focus.  She recently finished her Master's with a 3.8 GPA.

I have never understood why parents give their ADHD kids sugar.  Because she has ADHD and is already hyper, giving her sugar is sending her over the edge!  Cut the refined sugar and stick to fruits (natural sugar).  Giving her a couple of eggs and some fresh fruit in the morning with a small glass of milk would be a good balanced meal to help her start her day.  Balancing out her diet will put her on a more even keel and help her focus.

Try reading the book, A Mind at a Time by Mel Levine... I just started reading it and I think it might give you some ideas on how to best reach your child's different kind of thinking. I think you will find it informative and uplifting... But it is important to note that this book is not a "feel good, warm-fuzzy" kind of book. It is about the science behind different kinds of minds.

October 17, 2006, 8:04 am CDT

Music

My 8 year old is not over active so I don't think he is ADD or ADHD, but he does have a hard time focusing in school. His teacher says he is very smart and he knows the work but any little thing distracts him. His teacher would like me to have him put on some kind of medication, but I believe there has to be another way other than medication. I saw a little bit about this show and am willing to try anything other than meds. I have already changed his diet in the morning to protein, the music part about drums? Does anyone have any suggestions of a CD I can get? Any other ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

November 6, 2006, 7:22 pm CST

Alarm clocks don't work

Quote From: finepaws

I completely understand how Miranda feels. I too slept like she does when I was a teenager, well into my 20's. Thank  god we didn't have the absentee days as they do now, cause I would have never graduated . I never went to my first 2 classes of the day, NO Matter what!  My parents took my car away, grounded me, and threatened to take away privelges like TV. It just didn't matter. I just couldn't get up. I had the water in my face, the loud music, covers pulled off, lights turned on, nothing worked. I did graduate, because I was smart enough to get the  grades, and by the time I was a senior, I only needed 1 credit to graduate. All of those standards changed the next year. I never would have made it. I was always late for everything, and sadly I still am. Following a clock only makes me more frustrated! When I graduated, I destroyed my alarm clock with a hammer. (happiest day of my life...jk)
I'm almost 40 now, and I've found a few things that worked for me. First off, I worked 3rd shift through my 20's. It was the only job I cold keep. Yes I was late, a lot! But no one wants to work 3rd, and most people are willing to deal. I worked in a nice hotel as an auditor, so as a female it was a pretty safe job. I also had the chance to use my brain. I always seemed to be more alert at night, and I still find this to be my best brain functioning time.
Miranda, don't give up. I work for an amazing company now for a person who understands that being at work at a certain time just doesn't work. I still work 8 to 10 hours a day, but they are the hours I choose. The most important thing is that I don't wake to an alarm now. I wake naturally. and get going at my own speed. I am so less stressed, knowing that I'm not letting anyone down, and not being rushed cause I overslept again. I only sleep about 8 to 9 hours a day now, instead of 12. Once you figure out what hours you function well at, then live those hours. I still am very alert mentally once the sun goes down, but strangely it's the beggining of my day that I get my physical things done. Like cleaning, exercising, and things like that. My brain doesn't have to work to do those things. Once you learn how you function best, you'll feel alot better about your sleep habits. Good luck Miranda, and enjoy that sleep, don't feel guilty, it will get better, and I do understand!!!!!

I can so relate to Miranda.  I have had this problem all 45 years of my life.  I have tried putting alarm clocks across the room, in different rooms ~ you name it,I've tried it.  Nothing works and it is totally unconscious.  I too am at my best later in the evening.  I have also arranged my work schedule so I'm getting in my hours but not having to be there early.  When I first became a single mom my daughter was late to school so often that once she had to sit in detention.  After that she started setting her own clock to get me up.  That works very well! 

I'm curious about the brain mapping and I'm going to look into that.

Hang in there Miranda, you are not alone.

March 27, 2007, 4:07 am CDT

Music

In this particular show they talked about music that alter your brain waves, so that you feel more awake.  What music would this be?  I would like to know, because I have so much trouble getting up in the morning, and I sleep my days away!

October 27, 2008, 10:44 pm CDT

Sugar Breakfast

Bravo Dr. Lawlis for mentioning the effects of sugary breakfast cereals on the child brain.  The modern American diet is full of refined sugars, bleached flour, hydrogenated vegetable oils, and foods loaded with preservatives, artificial colors and flavors, and all manner of chemical agents.

Truely this must contribute to the dumbing down of our society.  Not to mention, it's poor health. 

I am reading an extraordinary book called Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and Diet Dictocrats.  It's more than just a cookbook, it's an eye opener.  I'd suggest it to anyone who has a concern about what they and their loved ones eat.

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next Page | Last Page