Message Boards

Topic : Breaking Up

Number of Replies: 5114
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:06:14 pm
Author : dataimport
Is it time to end things with your significant other? Or, have you just been handed a relationship pink slip? Share your stories.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 8:30 pm CDT

are you kidding

to not sure what you want to do....are you kidding.  this guys is seeing other girls and only considers you as friends with benefits?  you are being used by him for what he wants.  he does not have to take you out to eat or on dates and you still give him sex.  Maybe that is all you are looking for but i am sure that his friends do not think highly of you because you do sleep with someone, and they are not even your boyfriend.  They may even think that you do not have much self respect or self worth because you and him are not really in a relationship and he is seeing other girls.  wether he is sleeping with them or not should not matter you need to end that relationship and fast before you get "attached emotional" and want more and then get hurt more in the end.  there are plently of other guys out there who will and can treat you better than that.

July 26, 2005, 5:59 am CDT

so what do you do??

Alysha, what were your problems with your ex-fiancee and why didn't you give it some more time??  I guess that is where I am having the problem, when is enough enough.  I am not ready to give up, is there a point where I will be ready???

July 26, 2005, 11:57 am CDT

The problems were...

Well, there wasn't just ONE problem.  I think the first problem was when women would call him on our house phone and leave messages that said, "Hey I got your message and it would be easy to hang out cause I got my own apartment and it could just be me and you."  You know, things like that.  I'm obviously going to be a little upset.  I'm not a jealous person but what does her apartment have to do with anything?  He would just lie about certain things and I would find out either because his friends opened their big mouths or he got drunk and would babble on and on about the subject.  I'm the type of person that always finds things out.  I don't try to, it just happens.  I suppose the only reason I didn't try harder to work things out was because he wasn't trying.  And I didn't want to be the only one working hard at something that wouldn't be achieved.

July 26, 2005, 12:02 pm CDT

RE: Are you kidding?

No, he dosen't consider me as a friend with benifits.  I meant that that is how I felt.  But I talked to him about the subject and I guess he's just afraid of being hurt again.  But that still dosen't explain why I'm being treated like I am.  I'm already emotionaly attached, and I think thats why it would be so hard for me to just up and leave and stop seeing him.  You know?  I know his friends because they are also my friends and they have no comment on the situation.  The only person that said anything was our friend "Chris".  He said to just stick around and things would get better.  But I'm not sure if I want to do that or not. 

July 26, 2005, 1:53 pm CDT

boyfriend problems

Me and my boyfriend have been together for about 2 and a half years and am completely in love with him.  We have had a lot of problems through our relationship and we have managed to get through them.  One of the biggest problems was that he has a 2 year old son and cheated on me with the mother of his baby the first couple of months we were dating.  I managed to forgive him(don't know how) and we moved on from that.  He has helped me with a lot of my problems with my parents and i have helped him with a lot of his problems.  But, the last month or so we have both been annoying each other really bad and fighting a lot.  He says he still cares about me and doesn't want to break up but he doens't know if he loves me or not.  I don't know what to do...so i am just giving him space and just letting him call me.  I don't know what to do because i don't want to give up on our relationship.  He makes me really happy and i love him alot.  Any advise for me out there?

July 26, 2005, 10:23 pm CDT

Sometimes space is a good thing, but

Quote From: chris3202

Me and my boyfriend have been together for about 2 and a half years and am completely in love with him. We have had a lot of problems through our relationship and we have managed to get through them. One of the biggest problems was that he has a 2 year old son and cheated on me with the mother of his baby the first couple of months we were dating. I managed to forgive him(don't know how) and we moved on from that. He has helped me with a lot of my problems with my parents and i have helped him with a lot of his problems. But, the last month or so we have both been annoying each other really bad and fighting a lot. He says he still cares about me and doesn't want to break up but he doens't know if he loves me or not. I don't know what to do...so i am just giving him space and just letting him call me. I don't know what to do because i don't want to give up on our relationship. He makes me really happy and i love him alot. Any advise forme out there?

Sometimes space is a good thing, but usually when the arguing has gotten way out of hand. A lot of people use the "needing space" as an excuse to go ahead with another relationship that they have already established on the side prior. I don't know if this is what is happening in your relationship, but I would think in terms of how is a relationship going to get better without communications? Communications is the cornerstone of any relationship, platonic or otherwise, and if you are not communicating, and if you are, "having your space," how can anything be resolved?

I think you need to open your eyes, and you just may find that he is needing more than just space. I hope I am wrong, and I hope this helps, good luck, and keep us posted!

July 27, 2005, 5:51 am CDT

space is sometimes a good thing

I don't necessarily agree that if someone says the need space it means that they have something on the side.  I am recently trying to forgive a boyfriend that broke up with me after he went through a personal trajedy and became very depressed.  He has come back begging for forgiveness and for a while it was okay but I am still pretty bitter about the whole thing (which is my issue).  We can't seem to get along right now and it seems that everytime we talk we talk about us, it's like beating a dead horse.  So we are taking space, we still talk, but a little less frequently until the both of us can cool off and refresh ourselves.  Sometimes when you get into a pattern of arguing and fighting and things don't seem to be resolving, space is sometimes a good thing in order to step out of the situation and look with a clear head.  In a perfect world,couples would be able to communicate all the time and everything would come out find, don't take me wrong I know communication is key, but sometimes people get into the routine of fingerpointing and running around in circles.  Give it time and see where things go.

July 27, 2005, 12:46 pm CDT

i think i'm doing the right thing?

alright my boyfriend (23yrs) and i (21yrs) have been dating for over 2 years now. i moved from idaho to oregon to be with him and go to school. (my home is in tennessee.) well i was happy and i thought he was too.  come to find out he wasn't happy with the relationship cause he felt that "something is missing". but he can't tell me what it is thats missing. i feel in my heart that we could make a wonderful couple. he grew up with a crazy mom. and i was wondering if thats what would cause him to back out of a relationship thats getting too serious? i just dont want this to be over we still have something strong between us.

July 27, 2005, 8:41 pm CDT

Thank you

Quote From: juballl

Sometimes space is a good thing, but usually when the arguing has gotten way out of hand. A lot of people use the "needing space" as an excuse to go ahead with another relationship that they have already established on the side prior. I don't know if this is what is happening in your relationship, but I would think in terms of how is a relationship going to get better without communications? Communications is the cornerstone of any relationship, platonic or otherwise, and if you are not communicating, and if you are, "having your space," how can anything be resolved?

I think you need to open your eyes, and you just may find that he is needing more than just space. I hope I am wrong, and I hope this helps, good luck, and keep us posted!

Thank you for your comment...i understand were u are coming from and i hope that it isn't like that either.  I am glad to say that he does call and we spend time together everynow and then and i think that things will get better.  I don't know how to talk to him about how we can communicate better because that is a major issue with me and him.  Hopefully we will figure it out.  I really hope we do but i just want him to be happy, even if it isn't with me.  If it is ment to be it will be.  Thank you

July 28, 2005, 8:05 am CDT

Sleeping and feeling guilty

Hello everyone,

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last