Message Boards

Topic : 12/27 Runaway Dramas

Number of Replies: 176
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 12, 2006, 05:58:12 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/16/06) Imagine your pregnant teen daughter running away to be with her baby's father -- an older man whom she met online. For Heidi, this became reality when her 15-year-old daughter, Brittney, went missing for five weeks. Dr. Phil put private investigator and former FBI agent Harold Copus on the case to find the missing teen. See the confrontation when Harold finally locates her and her 34-year-old boyfriend. Then, find out why Brittney becomes even more upset when she learns what is in store for her. Two months have passed. Has Brittney's relationship with her mother improved? Next Kim, 15, has run away six times in the last year, most recently making it halfway across the country to be with her married boyfriend. Why didn't her parents look for her, and why does she say she'll do anything to get away from them? Can this family learn to get their relationship back on track? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 16, 2006, 4:29 pm CDT

You are SO off base here!

Quote From: bear_ta

Shhh... now don't be sayin' people need to be takin' responsibility for their own behaviour. Do you know how much you'll get slammed for that? Try to remember everyone is a victim.

You are as wrong as the original poster!

Why do you think there are laws on the books about adults having sex with young teens? It's called RAPE and it's illegal!

Children, even if they BEG for a sexual relationship, are still emotionally and LEGALLY children. It's up to adults to act responsibly (and LEGALLY) and stay clear of young people who are easily swayed and manipulated. Sadly, so many young girls aren't getting affection and care at home that they believe everything these older, scummier men have to say!

Sorry, but that's not acceptable...and it's not LEGAL. PERSONAL RESPONSIBLITY has to do with ADULTS, not kids. Kids will always be dumber, easily swayed and gullible; that's why they're called CHILDREN!!!!!

October 16, 2006, 4:33 pm CDT

REQUEST FOR DR. PHIL & STAFF

Dr. Phi and Staff,

Please, please, please put a notice on this website advising your fans that they should NEVER post pictures of their babies/children.

As a former felony probation officer (married to a federal officer for the last 17 years), I have had enough training and heard enough true stories to know where SOME OF THOSE PHOTOS end up!!!

Some are morphed in disgusting ways (objects put in the child's mouth, etc) and sent all over the Internet.

Please, Dr. Phil & Staff, put a warning on this site to remind viewers of the dangers of posting pictures of babies and children!!!

October 16, 2006, 4:58 pm CDT

13 Children Die on the Streets of America Every Day

In America there is a common misconception that children runaway from home because they are societal delinquents who want to be free of authority. The media depicts homeless and street kids as "rebels without a cause", as children who have no regard for society, who have no dreams and no aspiration for life but to get high.  

We know this portrayal of homeless and street kids to be false. In fact we know that 90% of children who run away have encountered mental, physical, emotional, and/ or sexual abuse. No child wants to live on the streets. No child want to have to beg, steal, sell drugs, and/ or themselves just to survive.

More than half of the children on the streets are still under the age of 15.  Unable to legally work, these kids get involved in ciminal activity just to survive.  Based on current estimates, there are more than one and a half million children, teenagers and young adults trying to survice on the U.S. streets today.  Children now make up 27 percent of the fastest growing segment of the U.S. homeless population.

For more info:   www.turnpurple.org       

The Turn Purple Campaign is the nations' first campaign against child abuse and the resulting problem of youth homelessness. 

October 16, 2006, 4:59 pm CDT

10/16 Runaway Dramas

Quote From: lksantee

It seems to me that the girls had a part in this. (unless they were raped). People need to take responsibility for their own behavior.  Having sex with someone is in most cases, a choice. They could have said "No", they could have used a condom, or other forms of birth control. There are many options ro prevent a pregnancy. I know a girl who got pregnant at a young age, and it was not because some guy forced himself on her. She knew exactly what she was doing. My hubby and I have talked about this a lot. As they say...it takes two to tango!! 
It takes two consenting adults to tango. Other wise it's called rape.

October 16, 2006, 5:00 pm CDT

about the last 15 year old runaway

i am sorry i might of missed a few things.. i was only able to catch the end of the show, with that 15 year old runaway... and i completly saw me when i watched it...   i am 23 now.. and i have changed my ways.. i have changed so much, more so since i had my baby.. but things havent changed with me and my mom...   dont get me wrong, my mom wasnt into drugs like her mom is.. my mom is a very respected women in the town we live in.. she has a respectable job, and is so well known... i on the other hand, even tho i helped everyone with everything i could, even tho i would go to our seniorsitizen complecks to visit and play games with everyone... even tho i have tried to make myself as respectable as her, i never was able to.. i made mistakes, even got into drugs myself... drinkin at a younge age and dated guys who were a lot older then me.. never had sex till i was 16, my choice, and still to younge for me!
  anyways my mom and i have the same relationship this girl and her mom have.. even still.. my mom told me the same things, such as her heart had a shell around it b/c i have hurt her to much... but do you know what? it was always her fault for it.. my mom always wanted me gone, one of the times she kicked me out she stopped talkin to me for a year and a half, except once a week she would show up at my house to take me to councilling with her... the only condition i could see her an hour a week.. nothing before or after that.. just that hour.. with very little talkin...
i am gonna stop.. my point is.. everyone always makes it seem like its b/c she is 15, a child.. but from what i seen with her mom and dad.. no i think its the parents.. 15 year old "children" and younger do everything for a reason.. its not always b/c they are just being stupid.. its the parents.. it was in my case and many others i knew of too!
  i  just think that there could of been more then what meets the eyes or then what was said.. and instead of fully helping her, she is now gonna feel like everyone abandoned her.. being sent away without getting help with her and her mom together..  that just makes me feel sick.. she didnt wanna go, but her parents signed the papers, probably thinking they were doin her a favor.. i hope it was and it could of been.. if not she'll have so much more to work out!!! trust me

October 16, 2006, 5:02 pm CDT

10/16 Runaway Dramas

Quote From: dgmousette

I WILL BE WITH BY HUSBAND 30 YEARS IN JUNE WE HAVE RAISE 9 PRODUCTIVE, HEALTHY HAPPY  CHILDREN TO ADULTHOOD.

WE NOT ONLY LOVE EACH OTHER BUT WE STILL LIKE EACH OTHER

WHOOPEE RIGHT , MY HUSBAND IS 72 YEARS AND I AM 46  YOU DO THE MATH. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN OLDER THAN MY YEARS AND HE IS YOUNGER THAN HIS .      

THIS RELATIONSHIP WORKS AND WORKS WELL SO THE AGE DIFFERENCE IS NOT ALWAYS A  BLACK AND WHITE THING. .   I WAS 16 YEARS OLD AND HE WAS 42 WHEN WE MET .  IS THIS WRONG I DON'T THINK SO BECAUSE IT HAS WORKED FOR 30 YEARS AND IS CASE YOU WONDERED I AM A STRONG WILLED AND AN INDEPENDENT THINKER .  I AM NOT RULE BY MY SPOUSE. I THINK RELATIONSHIPS SHOULD BE JUDGED BY THE PEOPLE INVOLVED ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS

I think it's wrong. Sorry, but I think your relationship started under horrible circumstances.  A 16 year old doesn't have the capacity to understand those kinds of long term decisions and any 42 year old man who wants to have sex with a 16 year old girl is a pervert IMO.

Am I glad it worked out for you? I guess. I think there is a child part of you that is probably still a victim of sexual abuse.

October 16, 2006, 5:15 pm CDT

10/16 Runaway Dramas

Quote From: sistersage

There is an easy way to control your teen-agers; think about back in the day how we were raised; much more supervision and our parents and teachers weren't afraid to take their roles as responsible adults. While I don't condone violence; everybody has to admit that stricter punishments with even, some corporate punishment kept us in check. We didn't run away from home on the most part because our parents had control. If they weren't around, there was always some cooperation. Also, about really making sure your daughters don't have sex or do drugs;  here in Montreal, most mom's I knew back in my youth and alot are still doing it today are taking them to the doctor for snap gyno examinations to ensure these girls are still virgins and give them tox screens. Guaranteed that most drugs don't leave the system for at least 21 days. It's time to stop being afraid of being responsable adults and remember the way our parents did things. Proof is we turned out much better educated, more solid work ethic and more responsable than future generations will.

I totally agree with you about controlling teen-agers.  My Mother and Father were both raised on the "Spare the rod spoil the child" moto and they raised my sisters and I the same way.  We are now 34, 31, and 25 and we live very productive lives because we not only had both parents in the home but they always agreed on our discipline. They forever told us "If one of us says no then you better not ask the other."  We respected that because we knew the consequences. Never were we abused nor did we fear it.  We just always had a mutual respect for our parents and they did with us.  Our parents have been married 35 years.  I wish more people would realize that if they want people to respect them, they first have to respect others.  Same goes for parents and their teenage kids.  It's a two way street. 

Unfortunately we live in a very different day and time.  Young parents are clueless when it comes to raising kids. Ninety percent of the time the kids are raising the parents. If you so much as spat your child on the hand or leg in the grocery store for whatever reason and someone witnesses, they're ready to turn you in to CPS.  The thought sickens me because most CPS workers neglect and abuse their own children.  Kind of a double standard if you ask me.  Then, if you take drastic measures to control your teens it's considered absue or assault. 

October 16, 2006, 5:16 pm CDT

i can relate

Quote From: purplepenny

It takes two consenting adults to tango. Other wise it's called rape.

no i am 23 right now.. and i can remember 15.. you look at yourself like you have rights.. like you are able to make a desicion on your own without books saying you cant.. so i agree, as long as there are teenagers , it will always be there..
not saying at 15 i think  its alright to have sex with older ppl is right by all means.. my first was 21 and i was 16...   which is no better! but i dated him for 2 years prior.. which now i see is not so good..
anyways she is most likly like me, looking for love, in any form.. by the looks of it.. mom and dad never showed her how much they loved her, or not in the ways that would of benifited her.. that was my problem too

October 16, 2006, 5:21 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Away Doctor Dramas Phil Run. Doctor Phil I would  never runaway in my life. But however I do seen some teenager runaway before. That is sad. See you tomorrow Afternoon. Sincerley----

Your. Russell

October 16, 2006, 5:25 pm CDT

you made me cry!

Quote From: angelface_

Kim, as I sit here and watch the show, my heart goes out to you. I know that you probably think that you have been tricked, because you are having to go to a school. The reason I feel like I could sort of understand, is you could have been my daughter 10 years ago. Watching your Mom and Dad and you interact was like watching a replay of our lives. I did give up on my daughter to my shame. We do get along better now. But maybe if I had not given up on her at 15 she wouldn't be a single Mom of 2 girls at 24 years old. Mom and Dad, your daughter said the same things that mine said to me. I have to say it was a little weird to hear the same thing coming out of your daughters mouth. Mom please get real, I know that I ended up taking pills to calm down, so please don't play dumb about the weed! And,when Kim said, she didn't feel loved and welcome, I have to believe her because my daughter said the same things, and she was RIGHT! I hate to admit it but it was true. As much as she needed help I needed it MORE. Kim I also think and I could be wrong, one of the reasons you didn't want to go to the school, is that your freedom you think would be gone. Mom I really hope that you straighten up and face a few truths. It is hard to do, but you won't have to live with the guilt that I live with. Good Luck to all of you.
this is probably the best thing i have ever heard.. your words are actually making me cry! i wish with all my heart my mom would open her eyes one day and say even a portion of what you did.. i am 23 turning 24.. and i have never heard a mother admitt she did something wrong.. its always the child! always!!!  i am sorry.. but  you have givin me hope that one day my mom might say or admit to it too..

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last