Message Boards

Topic : Online Dating

Number of Replies: 1529
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:08:34 pm
Author : dataimport
Looking to meet someone online? Or have you met the love of your life on the net already? Share the good, the bad and the ugly of online dating.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 27, 2005, 3:54 pm CDT

So True!

Quote From: outloudest

It true what they say. When you stop looking for that thing you want the most you will find it. My husband and I met online but not through a dating service. We both had had enough of the dating world and called off dating. We both registered on yahoo looking for a pen pal. I got his profile as a match and I emailed him because we had a lot in common. We exchanged emails for six months as pen pals. Not once did we mention talking on the phone or exchanging photos. We were just long distance friends.  

We finally talked and exchanged photos in Oct. We met on Thanksgiving day. I was a soldier at the time and not going home for the holidays. He invited me over to help him cook dinner. I was really comfortable with him like I had known him forever. I would not recommend everyone do this but it worked for us. He was a police officer and I had him checked out. We have been together ever since. Married 5 years now with two beautiful children. 

Too many people go on these online dating services expecting to meet their soulmate in the first 5 min. I recommend going on there and meeting new friends. Start as friends and you can grow from there. Don't rush into things. Take you time and don't add more pressure by trying to make yourself the perfect woman or man. Be yourself and be honest. 

I met my boyfriend of 3 1/2 years online, but when we started talking I was getting out of a relationship that I had been trying SO hard to get out of for 2 years (eventually had to get a restraining order...). He kept me sane really, & while we were talking I wasn't even thinking about a relationship. He lived a little over an hour away from me & it just so happened that not long before we started talking my mom moved quite close to him, so while I was at my mom's visiting one weekend, we decided to get together just to hang out, watch a movie or whatever, & have been together ever since.  

September 29, 2005, 8:04 pm CDT

I met my husband online

I met my husband thru match.com. We emailed & talked on the phone for 1 month before we met in person. Then dated for 2 months & got married. 3 months after we got married we became pregnant. October we will be married for 3 years. Both of us were honest with what we were looking for & wanted out of life. I strongly recommend online dating, Just be honest & upfront & this could be the best thing that ever happened to you.

October 2, 2005, 7:55 pm CDT

online dating

Quote From: kathlen33

I met my husband thru match.com. We emailed & talked on the phone for 1 month before we met in person. Then dated for 2 months & got married. 3 months after we got married we became pregnant. October we will be married for 3 years. Both of us were honest with what we were looking for & wanted out of life. I strongly recommend online dating, Just be honest & upfront & this could be the best thing that ever happened to you.

I have tried online dating and I have not had any luck with it. You have to keep in mind that anyone online can be who they want, live where they want, be single (if they are in fact married) etc... The internet has opened up a whole new world for psychopaths. I have met more bad than good. 

It's hard to find honesty online, that is my (and my friends)  experience anyway. The last 2 men I dated from online I did background checks on to see if they were on the up & up, first one NO he was married, second one, I can't seem to find divorce records on him yet he swears he is divorced. I am just out of 7 month, long distance relationship with him. It's very difficult to have a long distance relationship when there is no trust  (on  his part) His ex cheated on him, therefore I was accused of the same. He allowed his insecurities to get the best of him. I look at it as HIS LOSS. 

Good luck to those who wish to persue it, for now, I'm taking a break from men! :-) 

October 2, 2005, 10:51 pm CDT

Be very very careful...

I'm not interested in online dating because of all the fakes and their lies.  This is not a negative reaction, but merely a choice based on:  1.  How much time do you want to waste going through all the fakes before you find a genuine person?  2.  How much are you willing to risk to find a significant other?  3.  The fact is, internet dating is a breeding ground for narcissists and psychopaths.   

A good example is that I discovered a secret life of the man I was in a relationship with for 3 years.  I thought he was a wonderful man, only to find all his personal ads on Yahoo, Match.com and Adultfriendfinder (xxx).  He was meeting women at hotels when he traveled for work, having regular cybersex and phonesex with women, and regularly emailed swingers couples about meeting them, and also gay men.  I did not have a clue until I looked at his computer one day.  Also, all his ads were full of lies about his income, his values, his height, etc. 

I am not against it because of this one experience, but because after doing much personal research on his type, I learned that narcissists are attracted to online dating because they are compulsive liars and it is so much easier to lie and make yourself out to be someone you are not when you date online! 

It is possible to meet the person of your dreams online, but the odds are against it, in my opinion. 

October 3, 2005, 7:35 am CDT

am I overreacting?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost two years. We met on a dating site. Last weekend, I found out that he still logs into the dating site and has the entire time we have been dating. Though he doesn't show is profile and he is not a paid member (so he can't actually email anyone and no one can email him). He says he just does it for entertainment purposes?  I am now doubting everything in the past two years. Am I overreacting?

October 3, 2005, 3:15 pm CDT

Online Dating

Quote From: lcrothers

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost two years. We met on a dating site. Last weekend, I found out that he still logs into the dating site and has the entire time we have been dating. Though he doesn't show is profile and he is not a paid member (so he can't actually email anyone and no one can email him). He says he just does it for entertainment purposes?  I am now doubting everything in the past two years. Am I overreacting?

I don't think you are overreacting at all.  I think his answer is bs.  What you saw as far as him logging in on the personals, is probably on the surface.  If you saw that, imagine all the stuff you didn't see.......It's not paranoid.  I think  a lot of people on those personals have either a sex or love addiction, or use those sites to feed their narcissism.  My personal opinion is that the chance that he is telling the truth, although possible, is very very slim.  

Good luck! 

October 3, 2005, 8:21 pm CDT

Follow-Up Valentines Show????

I was wondering if the Dr. Phil show is going to do a follow up show from the Valentines show in February (Perfect Match).

October 5, 2005, 10:48 am CDT

Online Dating

Quote From: cupcakes

I don't think you are overreacting at all.  I think his answer is bs.  What you saw as far as him logging in on the personals, is probably on the surface.  If you saw that, imagine all the stuff you didn't see.......It's not paranoid.  I think  a lot of people on those personals have either a sex or love addiction, or use those sites to feed their narcissism.  My personal opinion is that the chance that he is telling the truth, although possible, is very very slim.  

Good luck! 

Why would he have the need or even the desire to if he has you? that's what you need to ask yourself. IF He indeed has no subscription and cant send emails etc....why??? BIG RED FLAG to me....sorry. 

HEY I have trust issues and I  will be the first to admit it but,  it's because I have been lied to so much , even face to face, by men. This last man I dated got upset because I did a background check on him, why if he had nothing to hide??? In fact, I never found the divorce records on him!  

We deserve so much better than someone who is deceiving us.... 

October 7, 2005, 6:06 pm CDT

Pros and Cons

Although I haven't had much luck with online dating myself, both of my best friends met nice girls online, and one is even married now. The major problem I see is that there are a lot of "players" out there,  and they like to lie. I was all hot to meet this woman once who turned out to be in her late sixties. I am glad I found out about that before I embarrassed myself too bad. I think I might have noticed that she was a bit older than the forty years she was claiming. We should start a new thread here: Misadventures in online dating. I'm sure some of you have stories that are quite entertaining. I'll share if you will...

October 7, 2005, 7:12 pm CDT

Not All Of Us

Quote From: ilovelife

Why would he have the need or even the desire to if he has you? that's what you need to ask yourself. IF He indeed has no subscription and cant send emails etc....why??? BIG RED FLAG to me....sorry. 

HEY I have trust issues and I  will be the first to admit it but,  it's because I have been lied to so much , even face to face, by men. This last man I dated got upset because I did a background check on him, why if he had nothing to hide??? In fact, I never found the divorce records on him!  

We deserve so much better than someone who is deceiving us.... 

I think there's just as many women who lie as men. I've been miss led so much. I guess there's just not much of a way to prove we don't lie. I know I'm very honest but saying it and proving it are two different things. The last experience I was to marry, got a house at her request that when I paid for her trip out here from the east coast to the west, and she helped pick out a house that I bought 

and there then was so many exuses why she couldn't come back. I just mostly give up at that point. 

Anyway, the decieving can work both ways. Thanks. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last